Death Stranding reviews

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

One more from Silent Rob.

Based off his impression, I'll probably get the game for Christmas. He is liking the game well enough so far.

CaitSeith:
So to be clear, you aren't talking about liking the core system; but about the core system enhancing itself and keeping itself focused being good, even if you hate it.

That is the main problem with most games these days, they have all these elements that only dilute the core experience. Whether it's the loot system in Witcher 3 that makes no sense or Sekiro having several Souls elements (for no reason other than that's all From knows how to do). The core of Sekiro is akin to Shadow of the Colossus in the sense that the combat system is totally about the 1v1 boss/mini-boss fights whereas Shadow knew that fighting regular mooks would only dilute the experience. I did say literally one sentence later that all the elements should be good like how RPGs usually have below average combat and make me fight enemies for 10s of game hours. If an element is going to be so prevalent, don't make it shit. And if you, as a developer, just can't make a good combat system, make a game without combat.

In essence, what I want to play (or watch/read/listen to/etc) is what Danny O'Dwyer said towards the end of his Death Stranding review:

What I like most about [Death Stranding] is that it's not a game that anyone asked for or expected, it's a game made by a team of creative people using their creative freedom to make something totally unique.

My favorite things are all things I didn't know I wanted. I'd rather play something like that that fails than another Ubisoft: The Game or Souls-like or open world collectathon that's really only copying a successful formula. I already played that. That's why I'm playing Disco Elysium right now for example.

I bought the game last night, played it a bit and then a bit this morning. I made it to the chapter 3. I am liking it. I like the gameplay loop of of planing your trek, picking what to take/leave, and how much you can risk to be compelling. (I bet this is where someone could really ruin things by not pushing themselves. I bet if you did something like only one delivery at a time things would get so dull so fast.) I like the inventory system how and how you can place items in different spots and how items have different carry requirements. (I know there is more to the inventory system then I have seen so far. I wonder how in wide this gets.) I have a thing for inventory based gameplay. Also I like the novelty of the game. I have a thing for games about mundane things in fantastical settings.

Now, it's in my nature to complain, so on with my complains. I don't think the terrain is alien enough. Terrain plays a big role in gameplay, but so far all I have seen is roads hills mountains, forest and a swamp. I haven't seen anything that really pushes the limit. The BT's and the mules, the two most normal game elements, kind of fall flat compared to other elements and are too easily bypassed. Like if a delivery route takes you over a mountain you have to plan for that, You have to pack a ladder, pack a rope, cant take a vehicle. The mountain impacts a lot, but a mule camp if kind of easy to avoid or do with little equipment, so don't impact my plans much.

My last one is the biggest one. I would take off a full point for this, There are not auto logs. The game keeps throwing pages of lore at me, but I don't want to read it. You can't read and walk at the same time. Put the logs on tape so I can listen to them well traveling. It's like the worst way to do this.

Just watched Jim's video on it, and he thinks its boring as fuck. Its an ugly, boring, tedious self-indulgent slog of a game that's every bad idea Kojima ever had(which is a lot) roped into one game. He even said the shoes have a degradation meter.
I'll be skipping this one for sure.

The BT's so far are annoying, though I haven't gotten the piss grenades yet so I don't know what change they will bring. But sneaking around them and holding your breath isn't fun, scary, tense, or anything; it's just a chore. The few times I got caught it pissed me off more than anything. Similar to those first-person indie horror games where you're powerless against some stalker and all you can do is run and hide.

The bike brought a nice change, and the game finally feels like it's allowing me to really play it after three hours of constant interuption by 15 minute long cutscenes. The intro to this game is about as bad as Red Dead 2. The menu screens for missions, items and whatnot are also a bit trash, overloading your eyes with info to the point where I just don't bother much with them and just skip 'm.

The game ironically is most fun when it's throwing the least amount of mechanics at you, when you're just traversing the landscape with whatever packages you have with you. As soon as BT's, MULE's, or the timefall rain shows up any enjoyment sinks away until it finally passes.

The storytelling is pretty lame as well, but what else can you expect from dialoge written by Kojima. His reverence for the mythical image of AMERICA hasn't dulled since he left Metal Gear Solid behind, and it's palpable in almost every scene. Seriously, take a shot everytime you hear someone mention it. Even if the storytelling was adequate, the way he's showing off his starpower with these actors would make the whole thing silly anyway. The opulence of his Kojima Productions logo at the start of the game already made me expect the worst in that regard.

Casual Shinji:

hanselthecaretaker:
Every quest I?ve played in The Witcher 3 (about 60 hours so far) is scripted too. The Bloody Baron for a good example of something that was supposedly a high point (narratively sure, but not by any other measure) jumps around a lot but you?re still ultimately waiting for the drunk dude to follow you down to the target area and there?s no way to avoid it. And there is no shortage of exposition to sit through in most missions while you?re doing nothing other than literally standing there waiting for the next move.

That's one quest where you walk a couple of yards. Most if not all the other quests give you the option to simple warp to the place in question. In RDR2 you are constantly forced to follow an NPC, usually on horseback, to the mission target after already having traveled to the NPC to activate the mission. That's two trips almost everytime that could've easily been reduced to one.

I had more of a problem following missions in Horizon. Sometimes I wouldn?t even know it ended let alone what I did to break it. The nonlinear design is admirable on one hand, but on the other it?s still tied to story-driven gameplay, which in a sense makes it more confusing. Sure you can complete it in a number of ways but to what advantage in terms of the narrative? It still ultimately boils down to a scripted end-game sequence, which I personally couldn?t be bothered to pay much attention to. Maybe it was the subject matter too, but I had a tough time recalling the finer details outside of the main arc, and didn?t connect with any of the characters because there was so little logical flow. It?s like they were trying for a blend of Souls-like and traditional storytelling but each approach was made weaker as a result.

It's not about narrative benefit, it's about the benefit of the open-world pacing. Putting a player in an open-world it stands to reason to not lock them down and punish them should they try to harnass the free-roaming setting during missions. RDR2 does this at nearly every turn; there's all these things to interact with in the gameworld, but if you dare do it during a story mission 'mission failed'.

I personally haven?t been bothered much by mission structure in RDR2, because they?re unmistakably deliberate, designed for easy replayability and have fair checkpoints assigned. The only problem I?ve run into was when I wanted to finish looting bodies but had to follow someone to avoid a failure. RDR2 is an easier critical target because the story structure is so rigid vs the rest of the free roam content, but that?s more a testament to how much game there is beyond it than either TW3 or Horizon; budget be damned. I can only clear so many monster nests, bandit camps or holographic puzzles before it starts getting tedious. I haven?t hit that plateau in RDR2 yet after about twice as many hours because I?m still finding or doing something new.

Those monster nests, bandit camps, what-have-you's are optional and easy to ignore. The incessant horse riding RDR2 isn't. The fact that there's an auto-travel, where you just look at the screen while the horse rides itself, says enough.

Rockstar needs to stop babysitting the player for fear that they're not going to experience the story the way they want them to, or just not make it an open-world.

Ha-ha, if that's a "couple of yards" then I'm Geralt's doppelganger. I haven't tried fast traveling when I'm following Yennifer or anyone else at a snail's pace to x destination either, but meh; I just figured the walking is part of it, just like horse riding is typically a big part of getting around in RDR2.

If it wasn't in an open world, they'd be throwing away the vast majority of "game" if that was the case. They're story "missions", so it's reasonable to expect the player to be on the hook. Of course the idea of needing to travel long distances in an open world game isn't going to appeal to everyone, but the deliberateness is a big part of what they were going for. It's supposed to feel vast, and I wonder why people would be expecting the contrary. Maybe RDR3 on PS5 will have insta-fast travel, but for the pace of the game waiting a minute or so to go a distance that would normally take perhaps 10x that long isn't a big deal to me, because I wouldn't even start playing a game this big if I was concerned about how long it would take.

Same with Witcher 3 or Horizon. It's just that personally RDR2 happens to have held my attention quite a bit more throughout without feeling like a chore, even with all the "forced" travel. Maybe it's the immersion factor of feeling like being in an outlaw's shoes boots, or the myriad of different details and things to see and do beyond the story, but I'm willing to deal with an "on-rails" story if the narrative requires it (which it does). Really, there's no way of crafting a tightly woven narrative as well as it's done if the player is making up their own gameplay story to go with it. It would end up being generic as hell at worst, or logically inconsistent at best. It's like expecting to sight-see and make your own personal course in a racing game. The difference is still being able to explore every nook and cranny of the map when you're not in an actual race.

To me, experiencing the story the way they intended seems pretty reasonable, since that's the way I want to experience it if I'm going to get the most out of it. Wonderfully enough, I'm also still free to get the most out of the outstanding open world they've created when not on a "mission".

So I played a little of the game at a friend's house and this is a hard pass for me. I just don't find the Fed Exing thing exciting, and traversal just annoyed me when it didn't bore me.

I'm gonna watch a let's play for the story and call it good.

I made it to chapter 5 and some of my complaints have been addressed. the terrain gets better and you unlock more travel and carring tools. At this moment I am on a road building kick.

CritialGaming:
So I played a little of the game at a friend's house and this is a hard pass for me. I just don't find the Fed Exing thing exciting, and traversal just annoyed me when it didn't bore me.

Death Stranding?

A catastrophe to surpass the Death Stranding!

BBs, Son!

I'm not super worried about getting spoiled about this because I'm fairly sure it's gonna be the normal Kojima wankfest. I haven't heard any reviews so much as mention the story very much, which implies its nothing special. And I say that as someone who liked the Metal Gear Series.

Dalisclock:

CritialGaming:

Death Stranding?

BBs, Son!

I'm not super worried about getting spoiled about this because I'm fairly sure it's gonna be the normal Kojima wankfest. I haven't heard any reviews so much as mention the story very much, which implies its nothing special. And I say that as someone who liked the Metal Gear Series.

I just got to the part were this happens. Not at all in the same words, but the same gist is talked about.

I also found conan o'brien. He gave me an otter hat. If anyone wants to see him he is labeled as the cosplayer on the map.

nomotog:

Dalisclock:

CritialGaming:

Death Stranding?

BBs, Son!

I just got to the part were this happens. Not at all in the same words, but the same gist is talked about.

I also found conan o'brien. He gave me an otter hat. If anyone wants to see him he is labeled as the cosplayer on the map.

Broad but significant spoilers below.

I still can't put the game down which is kind of strange as I pretty much abandon any open world game after a few hours. I guess those games give you tons of shit to do but none of it compelling. Death Stranding really eschews any videogame convention by being this meandering, moody trek through an abandoned environment that is so thick with atmosphere it stimulates the imagination in ways other games don't. The game is like the opposite of a GaaS where it tries to almost actively avoid to trigger that dompanine spot but rather tries to build to something ultimately more fulfilling. I love the world and characters Kojima created with this game so much. The game really tries to ask questions and with an original, philosophical view of the world. Absolute masterpiece.

Never played anything like this and I doubt it will ever be replicated in the AAA space. This is like a retread of MGS2 for me, a game in which Kojima shows that games can be so much more than mere entertainment. That they can be thematically relevant and that they can convey messages through gameplay systems and narrative design that can only be communicated through this particular medium.

Game is a great tourism ad for Iceland as well. Those mountains and wide spaces look so beautiful. Definitely on my list of places to visit.

What I don't understand is, if the game is supposed to be taking place in future America, then what has terraformed it to look like Iceland?

No one would have cared about this game at all if it weren't for Kojima's input.

Double post. Ignore

hanselthecaretaker:
What I don?t understand is, if the game is supposed to be taking place in future America, then what has terraformed it to look like Iceland?

Russia also had a lush-ass jungle with crocodiles and shit in MGS3. Kojima's just.. kinda stupid like that.

hanselthecaretaker:
What I don?t understand is, if the game is supposed to be taking place in future America, then what has terraformed it to look like Iceland?

In the game there is timefall that is rain that ages everything it rains on, so the idea is years and years or errosion. It makes for better walking though.

Yoshi178:
No one would have cared about this game at all if it weren't for Kojima's input.

Well, sure, but the only reason we hear about most newly released games is down to the publisher. Hearing about it because of a developer/ creator's input is a lot more sensible than hearing about it because of a publisher.

Casual Shinji:

hanselthecaretaker:

Russia also had a lush-ass jungle with crocodiles and shit in MGS3. Kojima's just.. kinda stupid like that.

I'm still about 80% sure that MGS 3 was originally supposed to be set in Vietnam and they only decided to set it in Russia instead after they had already finished a lot of the assets.

Silentpony:
Just watched Jim's video on it, and he thinks its boring as fuck. Its an ugly, boring, tedious self-indulgent slog of a game that's every bad idea Kojima ever had(which is a lot) roped into one game. He even said the shoes have a degradation meter.

Is he planning to sue them for using him as their villain?

Specter Von Baren:

Silentpony:

Is he?

PsychedelicDiamond:

Casual Shinji:

hanselthecaretaker:

I'm still about 80% sure that MGS 3 was originally supposed to be set in Vietnam and they only decided to set it in Russia instead after they had already finished a lot of the assets.

Most likely a case of Kojima wanting his cake and eating it too, like with most of his nonsensical ideas; He wanted jungle gameplay/mechanics, but he also wanted Russia/The Cold War. And then he also wanted James Bond shit cuz whatever.

nomotog:

hanselthecaretaker:

In the game there is timefall that is rain that ages everything it rains on, so the idea is years and years or errosion. It makes for better walking though.

Everybody's faces seem blessedly impervious to that timefall rain though don't they? All you need is a hood, nothing covering your face or anything. When I'm walking around normal rain with my hood up I already pull it down as far as it'll go, this game has literal death rain and the people are like 'yeah, just a hood is fine.' And then there's times when they even look up during these rain moments. Also, considering how the rain has zero effect on your trenchcoat uniform thing, why didn't they just make packaging material out of that? Also, aren't there any helicopters in this universe? This gameworld makes no fucking sense.

hanselthecaretaker:

Antimatter bomb ghost.

Silvanus:

Yoshi178:

Well, sure, but the only reason we hear about most newly released games is down to the publisher. Hearing about it because of a developer/ creator's input is a lot more sensible than hearing about it because of a publisher.

usually the only games that get hype because of publishers are sequels to already established franchise's.

new IP's just only ever get attention through word of mouth and mainly after the titles released, for example: Untitled Goose game, it got advertised, but no ever gave a shit about it or spoke about until it had basically come out and then spread through word of mouth because "ha ha, mean silly goose is a hilarous meme! lol"

i don't think anybody even knew what the actual genre of Death Stranding was throughout its entire marketing campaign and the only reason its ever got any attention is because "hey it's that new Kojima game that i have no idea what it's about but because Kojima made it it MUST be good"

edit: also this:

Yoshi178:

Silvanus:

Yoshi178:

usually the only games that get hype because of publishers are sequels to already established franchise's.

new IP's just only ever get attention through word of mouth and mainly after the titles released, for example: Untitled Goose game, it got advertised, but no ever gave a shit about it or spoke about until it had basically come out and then spread through word of mouth because "ha ha, mean silly goose is a hilarous meme! lol"

i don't think anybody even knew what the actual genre of Death Stranding was throughout its entire marketing campaign and the only reason its ever got any attention is because "hey it's that new Kojima game that i have no idea what it's about but because Kojima made it it MUST be good"

People are upset it's not a shooter. I can see why people would assume it was. If you never watched the gameplay video he did (In Japanese), then you would have no idea what the gameplay would be like. I do take umbrage with the idea that the game is a walking simulator or that it should be a movie. It's a game. I am not really engaged with the story. (I mean it's not a bad story just eh.) I'm engaging with the gameplay.

Casual Shinji:
Most likely a case of Kojima wanting his cake and eating it too, like with most of his nonsensical ideas; He wanted jungle gameplay/mechanics, but he also wanted Russia/The Cold War. And then he also wanted James Bond shit cuz whatever.

Thing is, there actually are jungles in Russia, in south-central siberia and the most eastern part to the north-east of Korea. They're temperate rainforests, not tropical, and nothing like what's shown in the game, but still. They have tigers, leopards, and bears and shit.

Silentpony:

Specter Von Baren:

Silentpony:

Is he?

Ah, sorry, got confused, he's not the villain, the character I think that looks like him is Deadman.

nomotog:
People are upset it's not a shooter. I can see why people would assume it was. If you never watched the gameplay video he did (In Japanese), then you would have no idea what the gameplay would be like. I do take umbrage with the idea that the game is a walking simulator or that it should be a movie. It's a game. I am not really engaged with the story. (I mean it's not a bad story just eh.) I'm engaging with the gameplay.

Nobody who reviewed this game thought it was a shooter. They knew it was different from the norm before they went into it. What's causing this game to be so divisive is NOT because it's not a shooter, there are plenty of games that aren't shooters or action focused that aren't this divisive. So for Kojima to accuse reviewers who gave it a low score of not liking it because it isn't a shooter is complete bullshit. Or did he forget Metal Gear Solid 2 was also very divisive, certainly at the time, a game that was very much so focused on action?

Chimpzy:

Casual Shinji:

Thing is, there actually are jungles in Russia, in south-central siberia and the most eastern part to the north-east of Korea. They're temperate rainforests, not tropical, and nothing like what's shown in the game, but still. They have tigers, leopards, and bears and shit.

Yeah I know, and it would've been cool if we actually got that type of scenery, but Kojima obviously just wanted the typical jungle with snakes.

nomotog:

Yoshi178:

Silvanus:

It's a mix of him being an arrogant snob and actually being correct about our culture. On one hand the FPS reference makes no sense, as it never bothered people with any of the MGS games, or other Western developed games (The Last of Us in particular) he compared DS's combat to.

On the other, yes, judging by continued insane sales stats Western gaming culture is heavily embedded in the CoD fragtastic teabagging bs; most of whom would scoff at something like Death Stranding and likely find it lame dullard garbage because the game asks the player to be more than a moving reticle and there aren't perks and kill cams popping up on screen with every kill.

I've been avoiding Death Stranding as much as possible. Specifically because while I do respect and love Kojima as our currently lauded Video Game Artist... I barely played any of his games.

Only Metal Gear 3 on the PS2. And yeah, I liked it. But I didn't immediately have to buy every other Kojima game that came out due to needing more and more of his brilliance. I look at all games that come out, and if my interest is piqued I'll get it. Most of his games don't pique my interest.

And I was fine with it. Not all art is for everyone. Let's live and let live.

And then this BS came out.

Yoshi178:

This is officially the type of thing that turns people against public figures. Like Ariana Grande isn't for me, but I'm glad those who love her have her in their lives. But the second she says "Minorities don't get me because they are too into Gangsta rap to listen to anything else", I start to have negative feelings for her because she doesn't know me and my tastes.

My favorite Musical Genre is freaking Drum and Bass. And I swear I'm one of only a thousand people in this damn country that even knows that's a genre of music.

Here's the thing. For people playing his game and giving their honest opinion about how they feel about it, he's actively prejudging all of America. And that ticks me off.

I was one of the countless people completely pissed off that P.T. was robbed from us. And I mean Robbed. I would have boycotted Komani if they ever made video games any more due to their disgusting treatment of Kojima. I was one of those people who had his heart broken along with Geoff Keighley when Kojima couldn't even be celebrated on our only night to Praise One Another. I applauded when I saw Kojima announce to everyone He's Back.

I'm a not a Diehard Kojima game fan, but I love how he inspired people. But this? This is a bad look, Kojima. My favorite Video Game Genres are Fighting Games, Soulsborne, RTS, Open World RPGs, and Dungeon Crawlers (Looters) in that order. You don't know me. I had no interest in your game because of the game itself. Because I'm fucking hyped about Disco Elysium and I'm currently begging any God that will listen that they will put it on the Nintendo Switch.

... Because I'm now realizing any game I really care about, I want it on the Switch so I can always play it. Games that I'm casually
interested in, I'll have on my PC or my PS4 pro. But like with the Outer Worlds, I want it on the Switch so I can have the experience with me whenever I want.

That tangent aside and to sum this up, it's not our love affairs with a particular genre. Your game isn't for everyone, Kojima. Making excuses or explanations like this are beneath you.

hanselthecaretaker:
On the other, yes, judging by continued insane sales stats Western gaming culture is heavily embedded in the CoD fragtastic teabagging bs; most of whom would scoff at something like Death Stranding and likely find it lame dullard garbage because the game asks the player to be more than a moving reticle and there aren?t perks and kill cams popping up on screen with every kill.

I get your point, but you have to admit it falls apart when we look at the actually insane sales statistics for Madden and/or Fifa. That's like saying we can't appreciate Death Stranding because there's no Cheerleaders or a way to get a microtransaction purchase of Messi.

ObsidianJones:
snip

That interview text has been altered. In the original one he never said "it flies higher" or such arrogant phrases.

It's another case of angry people looking for a reason to get angry (and they are playing you like a fiddle).

EDIT: What I meant was mistranslated, not altered. The original interview is in italian. Sorry.

Yoshi178:
snip

The text in the video was altered to sound more snobby and arrogant than it actually was in the real interview. Please double check your sources.

EDIT: What I meant was mistranslated, not altered. The original interview is in italian. Sorry.

CaitSeith:

Yoshi178:
snip

The text in the video was altered to sound more snobby and arrogant than it actually was in the real interview. Please double check your sources.

I've heard a lot of people say this, but I still haven't heard what he then actually said. Even if it was less snobby it'd still be nonsense.

CaitSeith:

ObsidianJones:
snip

That interview text has been altered. In the original one he never said "it flies higher" or such arrogant phrases.

It's another case of angry people looking for a reason to get angry (and they are playing you like a fiddle).

I fully concede to the possibility that it was mistranslated.

However "Flies Higher" was never apart of my disdain. It was summing all North American Players as just lovers of FPS, and that's why the reviews are mixed.

If that was mistranslated, fire that translator and I'll be the first to apologize. But you have to understand why it's hard to believe a mistranslation of that magnitude is feasible to me at this point.

Even the amended part still references the preponderance of FPS fans.

Sony got in touch with us after checking the original interview audio and clarified that the exact quote by Kojima was '...in America there are a lot of FPS fans, maybe those fans are saying this is like a different game and are not rating it very high'.

Why can people just not like the game because they don't like the game? Why must there be a reason beyond that? That's what gets me.

ObsidianJones:

CaitSeith:

ObsidianJones:
snip

I fully concede to the possibility that it was mistranslated.

However "Flies Higher" was never apart of my disdain. It was summing all North American Players as just lovers of FPS, and that's why the reviews are mixed.

If that was mistranslated, fire that translator and I'll be the first to apologize. But you have to understand why it's hard to believe a mistranslation of that magnitude is feasible to me at this point.

Even the amended part still references the preponderance of FPS fans.

Sony got in touch with us after checking the original interview audio and clarified that the exact quote by Kojima was '...in America there are a lot of FPS fans, maybe those fans are saying this is like a different game and are not rating it very high'.

Why can people just not like the game because they don't like the game? Why must there be a reason beyond that? That's what gets me.

In other words, he was speculating the difference between European and American critics. If the situation was just "not liking the game because not liking the game" like you said, the reception would had been uniformly mixed all over the globe. It isn't, and the interviewer wanted to know Kojima's opinion about it.

Sure, not all Americans are shooter fans who spend their time in CoD, Overwatch or Fortnite and don't have time to try games that their friends aren't playing; but there are enough there to make American mainstream preferences different to the ones in Italy and France.

Or is any of what I just said false?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or