Australian Stardew

So, I've been playing Stardew Valley. I'm doing it on the PC because I got it for about AUD$5. Seems like a good Switch game. I thought, maybe I could get a deal. I'm enjoying it so much, I may even pay full price for a normal Switch game.

I couldn't find a Switch version on any stores. I went to Ebay. Most are being sold as a region hack from Japan and they are charging $170-$200. The legit looking ones cost $200. What happened to this game? It's two years old and the price skyrocketed? There must have been a good story behind this

trunkage:
What happened to this game? It's two years old and the price skyrocketed? There must have been a good story behind this

Are you talking physical copies? Cuz if so, it's expensive because it's rare, basically.

The only legit physical retail version of Stardew Valley was a Japanese multi-language collector's edition released back in Januari. It had a limited run, probably no more than a few thousand units. The vast majority have now been sold. Simple supply & demand comes into play. Price go up.

It's not unusual. Many eshop games that get physical copies are either limited runs, or only released in certain regions (often Japan or Hongkong), or both.

EDIT:
If you are interested in physical copies for Switch eshop games, the NSCollectors reddit is a good resource for what's out there. You might also want to keep tabs on websites specializing in imports like Play-Asia or Nippon-Yasan. There's also the American Limited Run Games. Their releases go fast if it's a popular game, but you're assured the game will be in English, if you care for that.

Failing that you can always get Stardew Valley off the eshop. Should be available in Australia. Good bit cheaper too.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here