GOTY Nominees:
-The Outer Worlds
-Super Smash Bros Ultimate
-Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
-Resident Evil 2 Remake
-Death Stranding
-Control

Smash for GOTY!
Also i love that even Tetris 99 got nominated for something with it being nominated for Best Multiplayer game lol

Is it not ever so slightly unethical to have death stranding nominated when that main dude who does the game awards stars as a character in the game? Can I unironically shout "colloooshun!"? Eh, nevermind. Good thing it's just meaningless back-patting and nothing serious like the Oscars, teehee!.

Ah yes, the annual game advertisements. I can't wait to see all the world premiers and awards given out as an after thought. Why celebrate games when we can advertise more future games instead?

Oh and Kojima is my best friend so his game is gonna get put into as many catagorys as possible.

CritialGaming:
Ah yes, the annual game advertisements. I can't wait to see all the world premiers and awards given out as an after thought. Why celebrate games when we can advertise more future games instead?

It wouldn't be so bad if the nominees weren't always dominated by games that everybody already knows about (specially when it's because of the tons of money it was spent on marketing). If it's going to be purely game advertisement, it would be better used to give to the hidden gems their chance to shine.

While I'd have nominated Devil May Cry 5 over Control it's nice to see so many new IPs in that list. Also, I'd have liked to see Disco Elysium in there but it's too niche, I guess. If I had to choose between these games I'd give it to Death Stranding easily. Sekiro is close but Death Stranding is overall a greater accomplishment in terms of mechanical innovation and storytelling.
I don't care for Smash Bros, I didn't really get much out of the RE2 remake other than a enjoyable enough, sure, but also slightly redundant case study that proves that super orthodox survival horror gameplay is still fun.
Outer Worlds was more of a quick and dirty fix for New Vegas addicts like myself who were desperately waiting to play something like it again. It was a bit short and a bit janky and the writing had its shortcomings but, you know, beggars can't be choosers. I liked it but GOTY material it's not.
Control sure was a very good looking game, it had some pretty sophisticated physics and some stellar visuals but again, it's just not GOTY material. It's another one of these new IPs I'd really like to see continued in some fashion because there's certainly potential in there and I've always been rooting for Remedy but it, too, feels more like a strong foundation for a great sequel than a great game in its own right.

Aw yeah, looking forward to the industry congratulating itself.

PsychedelicDiamond:
While I'd have nominated Devil May Cry 5 over Control it's nice to see so many new IPs in that list. Also, I'd have liked to see Disco Elysium in there but it's too niche, I guess. If I had to choose between these games I'd give it to Death Stranding easily. Sekiro is close but Death Stranding is overall a greater accomplishment in terms of mechanical innovation and storytelling.
I don't care for Smash Bros, I didn't really get much out of the RE2 remake other than a enjoyable enough, sure, but also slightly redundant case study that proves that super orthodox survival horror gameplay is still fun.
Outer Worlds was more of a quick and dirty fix for New Vegas addicts like myself who were desperately waiting to play something like it again. It was a bit short and a bit janky and the writing had its shortcomings but, you know, beggars can't be choosers. I liked it but GOTY material it's not.
Control sure was a very good looking game, it had some pretty sophisticated physics and some stellar visuals but again, it's just not GOTY material. It's another one of these new IPs I'd really like to see continued in some fashion because there's certainly potential in there and I've always been rooting for Remedy but it, too, feels more like a strong foundation for a great sequel than a great game in its own right.

Disco Elysum did get a couple of catagorys so it's not completely ignored.

The fact that Fire Emblem Three Houses wasn't nominated for Game of the Year fills me with sadness. Only nominee for best strategy game. Not only do I think it deserves the game of the year nomination but Dimitri voice actors deserved a nomination as well.

tf2godz:
The fact that Fire Emblem Three Houses wasn't nominated for Game of the Year fills me with sadness.

At least Waifu Emblem Bros might be GOTY :3

PsychedelicDiamond:
Also, I'd have liked to see Disco Elysium in there but it's too niche, I guess.

Disco Elysium is by far the best game I've played all year (only like 12 hours in and still on Day 1 but it's so good; found my 2nd shoe about 10 hours in). All RPG and no "good for an RPG" combat to waste your time on. And the writing has been top-notch. Games don't need combat; I'm tired of playing ever-so-slightly better versions of games I already played or usually worse versions (especially shooters these days). MAYBE Outer Worlds can give it a run for its money when I get around to playing it.

I never took the GA that seriously, but the moment they refused to give Bayonetta 2--for petty reasons--any awards, they lost all credibility. The problem with them is that they want to be seen as "mature/adult" by the film industry, while most on that side don't give shit or would never be pleased or see the games medium as inferior. The game industry giving itself congratulatory blowjobs to each others makes them all the more vane and despicable.

I do wish the best for all of the nominees present, as it's one of the rare time the GA is not being completely up their own ass. That'll change when Last of Us 2 comes out next year. No surprise there.

I feel awkward not having played any of the GOTYs this year. Okay, that was a small lie. I played a bit of Smash, but I'm not a big fan of Smash, so I'll just pass on it. Guess I'm behind on games this year. Either way, I can't think of any reason why one of them shouldn't be up there.

The fact that Slay the Spire wasn't nominated for best Independent Game disgusts me. The developers have done a great job making their game and supporting it while having an extremely low price for the amount of content it's given people. The amount of games trying to copy their gameplay now is ridiculous which really shows just how good a game it is when everyone and their mother is trying to copy you.

Specter Von Baren:
The fact that Slay the Spire wasn't nominated for best Independent Game disgusts me. The developers have done a great job making their game and supporting it while having an extremely low price for the amount of content it's given people. The amount of games trying to copy their gameplay now is ridiculous which really shows just how good a game it is when everyone and their mother is trying to copy you.

Huh? It's a deck-builder, nothing revolutionary. Not saying it ain't great (haven't played it) but it's doing plenty of copying on its end too.

Since Control is the only one I played on that list, it wins by default for me.

If Dr Casper doesnt get best performance for that dance alone, heads should roll

CritialGaming:
Oh and Kojima is my best friend so his game is gonna get put into as many catagorys as possible.

If Norman Reedus is going to be nominated for best performance I'm gonna be real upset. *checks nominations* Oh my God he fucking is! The dude barely says a damn thing, and when he does it comes out like he's half asleep. God, fuck this game, and fuck Geoff Keighley who will no doubt be all over this like a horny toad.

OT: I'll be cheering for Control and Resi 2. And eventhough I didn't care much for Sekiro it is vastly superior to Death Stranding.

It's funny how much of a Sony fanboy Keighley is, when considering he spent so much time at a site whose leadership was notoriously aligned with Microsoft and Xbox. 9.3, anyone? Lol.

I guess now he's making up for it, and I was all for God of War winning GotY last year (even if still thinking RDR2 is more impressive overall *cough*budget*cough*), but yeah. These awards are still a juvenile display for an industry that desperately needs to grow up a bit.

Who watches or takes Geoff Keighley seriously? 🤷

hanselthecaretaker:
These awards are still a juvenile display for an industry that desperately needs to grow up a bit.

i guess. i still enjoy seeing the awards but i mainly watch the Game Awards each year because the video game Orchestra's and also the Reveals of New game's and DLC like Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled and Joker from Persona 5 being announced as a Super Smash Bros Fighter last year and then also things like Bayonetta 3's surprise announcement are types moments that i always enjoy seeing.

You can not have Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 3 as a contender for best Narrative and best RPG, or you can be taken seriously and be deemed worth caring about, but you can't do both things simultaneously. This game has more narrative depth to its random townsfolk NPCs than other games do in the main cast, never mind its actual main cast that spans characters from a good 7 other games, each game being 70~ hours long, all brought together to a climactic finale, while also introducing an original cast that by itself alone can carry a top tier Jrpg.

It's honestly a travesty to even imply that Jump Force is a fighting game, as well XD.

Dreiko:

It's honestly a travesty to even imply that Jump Force is a fighting game, as well XD.

i haven't played Jump Force but if Super Smash Bros Ultimate doesn't win the Overall 2019 GOTY Award at the show i hope it at least wins the Best Fighting Game Award at this years show.

for so long, people around the world have mocked Smash saying "It's not even a real/proper fighting game it's just a party game!". i found it hilarious when it headlined as the main event game being played EVO 2019, then just in the last several weeks it's become the best selling fighting game of all time even beating Street Fighter 2's sales.
Seeing Smash win both best fighting game at the Game Awards and if it also wins GOTY 2019 on top of all that as well, that would just be salt in the wound to all of the haters of the series who have mocked the franchise in the past lol.

Yoshi178:

Dreiko:

i haven't played Jump Force but if Super Smash Bros Ultimate doesn't win the Overall 2019 GOTY Award at the show i hope it at least wins the Best Fighting Game Award at this years show.

for so long, people around the world have mocked Smash saying "It's not even a real/proper fighting game it's just a party game!". i found it hilarious when it headlined as the main event game being played EVO 2019, then just in the last several weeks it's become the best selling fighting game of all time even beating Street Fighter 2's sales.
Seeing Smash win both best fighting game at the Game Awards and if it also wins GOTY 2019 on top of all that as well, that would just be salt in the wound to all of the haters of the series who have mocked the franchise in the past lol.

You carry around a lot of petty baggage, don't you?

bluegate:
You carry around a lot of petty baggage, don't you?

if being happy for the success of a franchise i've loved since i first started playing videogames as a kid and shutting up haters of that franchise i'm passionate about is petty then sue me.

Casual Shinji:

CritialGaming:

If Norman Reedus is going to be nominated for best performance I'm gonna be real upset. *checks nominations* Oh my God he fucking is! The dude barely says a damn thing, and when he does it comes out like he's half asleep.

*Norman Reedus nominated for best actor.*

Norman Reedus: Still got it.

Yoshi178:

Dreiko:

Smash isn't a party game but it also isn't really a fighting game in the same way that jump force isn't one. Jump is an arena battle game and smash is a platform fighter.

Arena games focus on 3d movement and have simplistic button mashy easymode inputs and sacrifice depth for higher faithfulness to the canon of the origins of whatever series the game is based on. They don't have balance concerns and are not made for competition so they are freed from the constraints of trying to be a good fighter and thanks to that are able to be extremely faithful to the source material, I call them in a sense anime simulators, they focus on simulating whatever anime the game is based on first and foremost.

Platform fighters on the other hand focus on 2D sidescroller mechanics like falling through platforms and holding onto edges strategically to the point where character matchups can vary solely based on what stage you play on and the placement of the platforms in it. They have their own set of fundamentals, some like Jump Ultimate Stars (the superior jump game) can also be really good fighting games in a traditional sense that fits within that category, full of cancel combos and consistent timing and requiring you to actually defeat your foe and not just strategically ring them out, whereas Smash is basically its own animal.

While Smash is at evo, the people who play smash, tend to just play smash, whereas people who play Guilty Gear also play Street Fighter and Samurai Spirits and so on. This is because those games all are the same genre, whereas smash is it's own unique thing. And similarly, you have all those people who complain that chars like Ryu and Terry have regular obvious fighting game inputs for their movesets, because smash doesn't teach you the fundamental of imputing complex inputs in a split second on reaction, giving birth to legendary memes such as this:

https://twitter.com/ShoujoNara/status/1193583249433464832

The fighting game community props up Low Tier God. They have nothing to say on anything IMO till they drop that psychopath.

Then again, the gaming community as a whole also props up Darksydephil, so maybe we don't have anything to say either.

I'm depressed again.

Smithnikov:

The fighting game community props up Low Tier God. They have nothing to say on anything IMO till they drop that psychopath.

Then again, the gaming community as a whole also props up Darksydephil, so maybe we don't have anything to say either.

I'm depressed again.

Those are just the capcom subsect, not the entire community. Nobody who plays stuff like blazblue or guilty gear cares one iota about those angry weirdos lol.

Its gonna be Death Stranding, Kojima and Keighley are in bed with each other.

Just had a look of each of the GOTY nominees Metacritic scores to help predict who the Winner might be this year

Control: 82/100
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice: 90/100
Resident Evil 2 Remake: 91/100
Death Stranding: 83/100
The Outer Worlds: 86/100
Super Smash Bros Ultimate: 93/100

Save us Daddy Sakurai!!! :3

The only thing worse than a bunch of billionaires and millionaires giving each other awards for movies and TV shows, is a bunch of dweebs doing the same for video games. God damn, there's nothing more cringeworthy than video game award shows. If I was a developer or a voice talent, I'd never attend one of those shows. It's degrading as fuck.

Typo in the OP. Should read The Outer Wilds.

All Is Suck.

Baba Is You.

Baba Is Win.

God I hope smash doesn't get the award. There is no real innovation its just fan service the game. It doesn't mean much but calling Smash the best game of the year is analogous to calling Avengers:Endgame the best movie of the year. Sure, Smash is a solid game but its such a safe, by the numbers product I don't really care to play it cause I already played that game several times since melee.

Smithnikov:

I'm depressed again.

I dunno, exploiting mentally ill people for entertainment is hardly a unique thing on the internet. People who give money to DSP or LTG have their own issues and are arguably worse than them imo, but I hardly see LTG/DSP discussed by the FGC or gaming community. I wouldn't write off whole communities because the behavior of some very warped people, but I do agree its depressing that there are people who gleefully enable their toxic behavior.

Dansen:
God I hope smash doesn't get the award. There is no real innovation its just fan service the game.

i guess that's why it was the most watched game at EVO 2019 huh?

Yoshi178:

if being happy for the success of a franchise i've loved since i first started playing videogames as a kid and shutting up haters of that franchise i'm passionate about is petty then sue me.

Metacritic scores

You need to play more games... A 20-year old game shouldn't win GOTY. Smash has even less changes than yearly sports games or singular ongoing games. That doesn't mean anyone shouldn't enjoy Smash any less just like people shouldn't enjoy FIFA or COD any less. Though, I couldn't care less what wins or doesn't win the VGAs, it's a joke of an awards show in an industry with a joke of a professional criticism circle (Metacritic also being pointless). The VGAs are like the Teen Choice Awards of video game awards. The VGAs can't even arrange games by genre properly; Monster Hunter isn't an RPG for example. Everyone knows the VGAs are just for marketing and not much else and Smash winning Fighting game or GOTY isn't going to make anyone that doesn't like Smash salty, it's a popularity contest and Smash should probably win that, it's probably sold more copies than all the other games it's up against. Do all the CounterStrike players feel salty that COD/Fortnite outsells / has more players than it? Hell no, they play CS because it's a much better game in their opinion and no award or sales numbers will change that.

Gamefaqs is the place for your type of posting. The only thing you should really care about a game doing that you love is that enough other people bought it to merit more of it being made in the future. Outside of that, sales/scores/awards/whatever is pointless.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here