The 2019 GOTY Awards

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Oh that's right. Board games are the only games worthy of being GOTY. how could i forget?
Silly me.

Yoshi178:
Oh that's right. Board games are the only games worthy of being GOTY. how could i forget?
Silly me.

And that only proves you need to play more games. Without board games, there wouldn't be Slay the Spire.

Also...

Phoenixmgs:
Disco Elysium is by far the best game I've played all year

Yoshi178:

Dansen:
God I hope smash doesn't get the award. There is no real innovation its just fan service the game.

i guess that's why it was the most watched game at EVO 2019 huh?

...and how does that disprove what I said? Cross over games are going to pull bigger numbers by virtue of appealing to many fan bases, especially a game that pulls from so many beloved properties. Numbers aren't inherently an indicator of quality. Notice how all the marketing is focused on characters and nostalgia? Its because that is all smash has that is new. Not saying its a bad game, (it wouldn't sell if it wasn't good), but it doesn't need the recognition.

If SSBU is getting outsold by FIFA Madden and NBA, does that mean those games are better?

Dansen:

Yoshi178:

Dansen:
God I hope smash doesn't get the award. There is no real innovation its just fan service the game.

i guess that's why it was the most watched game at EVO 2019 huh?

...and how does that disprove what I said? Cross over games are going to pull bigger numbers by virtue of appealing to many fan bases, especially a game that pulls from so many beloved properties. Numbers aren't inherently an indicator of quality. Notice how all the marketing is focused on characters and nostalgia? Its because that is all smash has that is new. Not saying its a bad game, (it wouldn't sell if it wasn't good), but it doesn't need the recognition.

If SSBU is getting outsold by FIFA Madden and NBA, does that mean those games are better?

If there was no innovation in the Super Smash Bros franchise, then people would have stopped watching years ago.

Thinking Smash Ultimate hasnt changed at all since melee clearly hasn't played much of either game. And no, i'm not just talking about the roster size

Yoshi178:
If there was no innovation in the Super Smash Bros franchise, then people would have stopped watching years ago.

Thinking Smash Ultimate hasnt changed at all since melee clearly hasn't played much of either game. And no, i'm not just talking about the roster size

People like watching what they know, that's why The Office is the #1 streamed show on Netflix.

Monster Hunter World has changed more in 2 years than Smash has in 20 (I've played every Smash).

Phoenixmgs:

Monster Hunter World has changed more in 2 years than Smash has in 20.

Prove it then.

although i guess it would be pointless doing so since we already know Smash has been nominated for GOTY and Monster Hunter hasn't lol :3

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Prove it then.

although i guess it would be pointless doing so since we already know Smash has been nominated for GOTY and Monster Hunter hasn't lol :3

You live in your own little world of petty grudges and alternate realities, don't you?

Monster Hunter World released in December of 2017, so it isn't eligible for 2019's The Game Awards. It was, however, eligible for 2018's The Game Awards and lo and behold, it was nominated as a GOTY contender.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/12/07/the-game-awards-2018-all-the-winners

bluegate:

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Prove it then.

You live in your own little world of petty grudges and alternate realities, don't you?

Monster Hunter World released in December of 2017, so it isn't eligible for 2019's The Game Awards. It was, however, eligible for 2018's The Game Awards and lo and behold, it was nominated as a GOTY contender.

i'm still waiting to see all that innovation...

Yoshi178:

bluegate:

Yoshi178:
Prove it then.

While you're waiting you can at the very least admit you were wrong about MH:W not being nominated for best game.

Casual Shinji:

Yoshi178:

bluegate:

While you're waiting you can at the very least admit you were wrong about MH:W not being nominated for best game.

ok. I was wrong about that.

Happy now?

Yoshi178:
ok. I was wrong about that.

Happy now?

Absolutely!!!

Yoshi178:

Monster Hunter World has a whole new endgame now, it has a single world with all the different environments so all monsters appear in a single world, the monster roster has probably doubled (if not more), it has a new clutch claw mechanic that changes how you fight monsters along with adding new weapon moves, and there's new standard weapon moves. And, Monster Hunter World is less than 2 years old.

And in Smash, Mario is still a cape whore.

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

Monster Hunter World has a whole new endgame now, it has a single world with all the different environments so all monsters appear in a single world, the monster roster has probably doubled (if not more), it has a new clutch claw mechanic that changes how you fight monsters along with adding new weapon moves, and there's new standard weapon moves. And, Monster Hunter World is less than 2 years old.

ok. now please provide actual proof of your statement rather than just your subjective opinion plz. kthnxbai.

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

ok. now please provide actual proof of your statement rather than just your subjective opinion plz. kthnxbai.

https://monsterhunterworld.wiki.fextralife.com/Iceborne+Expansion

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

yep. that sure is an expansion alright.

thanks for proving to everyone that you have absolutely nothing at all to back up your statement and prove that Monster Hunter has innovated more in 2 years than Smash has in 20. just your subjective opinion.

by the way i heard of this really cool board game you might consider game of the year. it's called Snakes and Ladders. you should go and play that.

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

thanks for proving to everyone that you have absolutely nothing at all to back up your statement and prove that Monster Hunter has innovated more in 2 years than Smash has in 20. just your subjective opinion.

by the way i heard of this really cool board game you might consider game of the year. it's called Snakes and Ladders. you should go and play that.

SEQUELS (4 at this point) changing less over time than an expansion is a good thing in your world?

$60 x 5 (Smash) >>> $60 + $40 (MHW)

You should play something without a "Nintendo" on the cover, tons of innovation out there, I know you haven't experienced that much more than like 5 games over the years.

Specially this thread.

Ok, re: Mario (in Smash?), what the hell is "cape whore"? I ran a search and all I can find are pages about Cape Town prostitutes.

Johnny Novgorod:
Ok, re: Mario (in Smash?), what the hell is "cape whore"? I ran a search and all I can find are pages about Cape Town prostitutes.

Lol, it's just what my friends and I called whoever played Mario in Smash like 15-20 years ago. Just saying Mario is still a cape whore meaning Smash is still the same game.

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

"Fixed" that for you.

Samtemdo8:
Its gonna be Death Stranding, Kojima and Keighley are in bed with each other.

Man their pillow talk must be some next level shit.

bluegate:

Phoenixmgs:

"Fixed" that for you.

But Mario wasn't even able to use a cape in Smash 64... so i guess smash has changed in the 20 years it's been around then?

*DUN, DUN, DUNNNNNN!"
*Gasp*

The Horror!!!!

It's silly to say that a game with some shared mechanics is the same as games which had the same mechanics 20 years ago because that's just highly myopic of every other aspect that changed. It'd be like saying the last of us is just doing the same thing tomb rider did in 1995 because it has third person gunplay so it doesn't deserve to win either.

You can say a ton of things about why smash shouldn't be the game to win but it being true to its history and keeping some things the same for the sake of familiarity and tradition definitely isn't one of them.

Dreiko:
It's silly to say that a game with some shared mechanics is the same as games which had the same mechanics 20 years ago because that's just highly myopic of every other aspect that changed. It'd be like saying the last of us is just doing the same thing tomb rider did in 1995 because it has third person gunplay so it doesn't deserve to win either.

You can say a ton of things about why smash shouldn't be the game to win but it being true to its history and keeping some things the same for the sake of familiarity and tradition definitely isn't one of them.

Bring back Break the Targets and Board the Platforms Damn it Sakurai!!!!!!!!

Dreiko:

Smash is akin to yearly releases like COD, Madden, FIFA, etc. Just because Smash only releases once a generation doesn't mean it should get a pass for not changing enough. Assassin's Creed has changed way more than Smash and it releases yearly and is a far newer IP to boot. When I played MLB The Show yearly, the gameplay was tweaked more than it is in Smash's iterations. There's no way Melee is as/more different from Ultimate than 1995 Tomb Raider is from TLOU (they ain't even the same genre).

Yoshi178:
But Mario wasn't even able to use a cape in Smash 64... so i guess smash has changed in the 20 years it's been around then?

*DUN, DUN, DUNNNNNN!"
*Gasp*

The Horror!!!!

Oh sorry, 18 years...

Phoenixmgs:
There's no way Melee is as/more different from Ultimate than 1995 Tomb Raider is from TLOU (they ain't even the same genre).

pretty sure Smash Bros, FIFA, Call of Duty and Assassin's creed aren't even in the same genre together either.

TLOU is still just ANOTHER third person cover shooter game.

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:
There's no way Melee is as/more different from Ultimate than 1995 Tomb Raider is from TLOU (they ain't even the same genre).

pretty sure Smash Bros, FIFA, Call of Duty and Assassin's creed aren't even in the same genre together either.

TLOU is still just ANOTHER third person cover shooter game.

You're not following the discussion properly. Nobody said Smash and the other games are the same genre as each other.

I wouldn't consider TLOU a shooter. And, it's more different from Uncharted than Melee is from Ultimate.

Phoenixmgs:
I wouldn't consider TLOU a shooter. And, it's more different from Uncharted than Melee is from Ultimate.

so prove it then.

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

so prove it then.

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

so prove it then.

1) YouTube
2) ???
3) Profit

Phoenixmgs:

Dreiko:

Smash is akin to yearly releases like COD, Madden, FIFA, etc. Just because Smash only releases once a generation doesn't mean it should get a pass for not changing enough. Assassin's Creed has changed way more than Smash and it releases yearly and is a far newer IP to boot. When I played MLB The Show yearly, the gameplay was tweaked more than it is in Smash's iterations. There's no way Melee is as/more different from Ultimate than 1995 Tomb Raider is from TLOU (they ain't even the same genre).

Yoshi178:

*DUN, DUN, DUNNNNNN!"
*Gasp*

The Horror!!!!

Oh sorry, 18 years...

The difference is that smash gets to add a whole metric ton of new characters due to it being generational. If Fifa and Maddeen did a generation-wide all star players release every 5-9 years it'd also be a lot more interesting I imagine.

Also, smash has been adding a ton more non-nintendo characters as of late, it's kind of like a celebration of popular gaming franchises by this point (kinda like blazblue tag being a celebration of anime games with them adding Arcana Heart and Akatsuki Blitzkamf and even Senran Kagura guests), not nearly as cynical as the EA sports games so the comparison is completely unfair.

Dreiko:

The difference is that smash gets to add a whole metric ton of new characters due to it being generational. If Fifa and Maddeen did a generation-wide all star players release every 5-9 years it'd also be a lot more interesting I imagine.

Also, smash has been adding a ton more non-nintendo characters as of late, it's kind of like a celebration of popular gaming franchises by this point (kinda like blazblue tag being a celebration of anime games with them adding Arcana Heart and Akatsuki Blitzkamf and even Senran Kagura guests), not nearly as cynical as the EA sports games so the comparison is completely unfair.

Smash bros fighters all have different movesets, which means different hitboxe's, different start up and different end lag times, different abilities and combo's from the different moves they do, and even the echo fighters with the same movesets as the original fighter have different knockback effect and damage percentage than what the original fighters would do.

and when you ignore all of the fighter difference's there are also both new old stage's with each smash bros generation with different stage hazards.

there are different items to use

there are different game modes

there is always a shit tonne of new music added to the games.

if people want to say all smash bros games are exactly the same just with different characters then they are just as wrong as if someone were to say all 3rd person cover shooters like TLOU and Uncharted were same. Smash Bros has a shit load of change's to it each generation but some people around here just want to ignore all the difference's like Mario's Cape being added and just make huge ignorant blanket statements about the franchise instead.

Yoshi178:

Dreiko:

Smash bros fighters all have different movesets, which means different hitboxe's, different start up and different end lag times, different abilities and combo's from the different moves they do, and even the echo fighters with the same movesets as the original fighter have different knockback effect and damage percentage than what the original fighters would do.

and when you ignore all of the fighter difference's there are also both new old stage's with each smash bros generation with different stage hazards.

there are different items to use

there are different game modes

there is always a shit tonne of new music added to the games.

if people want to say all smash bros games are exactly the same just with different characters then are just as wrong as if someone were to say all 3rd person cover shooters like TLOU and Uncharted were same. Smash Bros has a shit load of change's to it each generation but some people around here just want to ignore all the difference's like Mario's Cape being added and just make huge ignorant blanket statements about the franchise instead.

You still haven't taken even 30 seconds to look up youtube videos of TLOU and Uncharted, have you? You've clearly never played either one, but you could at least attempt to not be entirely ignorant about the arguments you're making.

Avnger:
you could at least attempt to not be entirely ignorant about the arguments you're making.

as someone once said to me:

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.