The 2019 GOTY Awards

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

The awards show hasn't even started and all of this pointless bickering. It's a grand prix of pathetic.

CoCage:
The awards show hasn't even started and all of this pointless bickering. It's a grand prix of pathetic.

Avnger:

CoCage:

Nice one! I laughed so hard, I almost spilled my drink!

CritialGaming:

Yoshi178:
Green Mario is already in Smash

You mean Luigi?

That's the joke...

I don't really have a game of the year mentality since I don't buy a lot of games but I'll comment on what I've bought this year.

The Walking Dead: The Final Season: Yeah I'm stretching the "this year" part a bit but as one of my favourite gaming franchises I had to include it. I like it but I have absolutely no desire to go back and replay it. For me the Telltale series ended with Clem walking away from Wellington with Kenny at the end of season 2. The Final Season isn't bad, it just doesn't feel special like the first two seasons did to me.

Resident Evil 2: Remake: This is a difficult one. I love the original and I love the remake but I hate both of them for the same reason. I hate all the backtracking. It's not even fun puzzle solving but "go here to get a key to open this to get an emblem that will let you open that to get a key to open the door you were at when you started". The Remake improved the best but left the worst as it was.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order: Visuals are great. Voice work and sound effects are awesome. Combat is great. I HATE the map design, which seems to be there to frustrate rather than engage.

I'm not a fan of first person shooters but oddly my last two games are first person shooters.

Terminator: Resistance: Everything about this game is right. The plot, the visuals, the sound effects. It gets everything right, it fits into the series instead of trying to change things. The sad thing is that I don't think it will gain much attention because it is rather short and once you get the plasma weapons, becomes a bit too easy.

Halo: Reach: I loved this game on the 360 and it is just as good in its PC incarnation. The odd thing is that I really don't care for the rest of the franchise, Halo 3 activately made me sick (I'd play for 10 minutes and it would trigger my motion sickness so badly I would be throwing up).

There is just something about this entry into the franchise though that clicks with me. Part of it would be that I get to have some input over Noble Six.

votemarvel:

Halo: Reach: I loved this game on the 360 and it is just as good in its PC incarnation. The odd thing is that I really don't care for the rest of the franchise, Halo 3 activately made me sick (I'd play for 10 minutes and it would trigger my motion sickness so badly I would be throwing up).

Did they put reach on Xbone yet? that shit would finally give me a reason to finally bother plugging my xbox back in again.

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:
Mario's moveset is exactly the same from N64 to Switch, the only thing added OVER 5 GAMES was the cape on GC (Mario is a still a cape whore) and the Smash Ball special. Why couldn't you change Mario's playstyle up

Green Mario is already in Smash to give you that different moveset you're wanting.

You're welcome.

Smash Wii U/3DS also gave everyone custom moves but nobody liked those or the balance issues they caused so they got rid of them in Ultimate.

Just wow @ at defending incompetence...

despite not being a part of Nintendo anymore, Reggie will still be at the game awards this year :D

Oh would you look at that... smash bros won the best fighting game of the year award category despite people saying its not a fighting game.
Lol

Yoshi178:
Oh would you look at that... smash bros won the best fighting game of the year award category despite people saying its not a fighting game.
Lol

And Disco Elysium won 4 times the awards that Smash did... Lol

But really...

And yet Disco Elysium still wasn't nominated for GOTY at all.

Despite not winning, at least smash still got nominated for GOTY. lol

I was surprised to see Sekiro get GOTY. I wouldn't have thought that one would have gotten it honestly.

CritialGaming:
I was surprised to see Sekiro get GOTY. I wouldn't have thought that one would have gotten it honestly.

as long as Death Stranding didn't win i'm ok with that.

Yoshi178:

CritialGaming:

as long as Death Stranding didn't win i'm ok with that.

I'll echo that sentiment.

Call it petty, but I hate everything this game stands for. That being, Kojima's self-adulation.

CritialGaming:

I was surprised, but happy it did. I am glad DMC5 won best action game. If it had been Modern Warfare, I would have turned the show off immediately.

Where the hell is Bayonetta 3? Come on Nintendo and Platinum! Y'all announced this in 2017. You have to show something at this point. Thanks for making Gaming Brit right about announcing games too early.

Sekiro was fun, but it felt like such a step back from previous soulborne game (very limited playstyle, non connected environment, limited stealth system that might as well not be there) that I don't see how it could be win. I guess it was the best of the bunch, but I feel like there were better game that came out this years than those.

Yoshi178:
And yet Disco Elysium still wasn't nominated for GOTY at all.

Despite not winning, at least smash still got nominated for GOTY. lol

Do you not get that I couldn't care less about "The Game Awards"? Professional game journalism/reviews are so bad, they're a joke so even normal game awards are a joke let alone "The Game Awards", which are The Teen Choice Awards of game awards. And, even then, an unmarketable indie game 'smashed' Smash off the level bringing home 4 awards.

Phoenixmgs:
"The Game Awards", which are The Teen Choice Awards of game awards.

I didn't know the public could vote in the Game Awards!

Sekiro was an easy pick for me based on the other games put up in the list since they didn't choose to include Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 3. Though it may be that nobody had even finished the game up to the point this decision was made lol. I'm over 100 hours in and I'm in the end parts of chapter 4 lol. But yeah, that game seems to be snatching the victory out of Sekiro's grip, and since our Ashen Chevalier Rean Schwartzer is a samurai, I guess it is a fitting end to the duel between Ninja and Samurai.

Meiam:
Sekiro was fun, but it felt like such a step back from previous soulborne game (very limited playstyle, non connected environment, limited stealth system that might as well not be there) that I don't see how it could be win. I guess it was the best of the bunch, but I feel like there were better game that came out this years than those.

Sekiro is a lot more free in its playstyle compared to other souls games, you can jump, double jump, air block, SWIM, grapple onto buildings and leap down at enemies from them, sometimes mid-fight, bunch of things like that.

You are a defined ninja though, so of course if you wanna play with different gear or as a different class and so on, the prosthetics will have to do, you do get a lance and an axe and projectiles, but of course you can't just use those outside of specific encounters tailor-made for their usage.

Though the environments are definitely connected outside of the last zone, you can travel everywhere on foot easily.

CaitSeith:

Phoenixmgs:

I was equating the irrelevance, though you can vote on THE Game Awards, I don't know if public vote matters as I don't really care, it's just there for marketing mainly vs actually attempting to properly award games.

Phoenixmgs:

CaitSeith:

Phoenixmgs:

I was equating the irrelevance, though you can vote on THE Game Awards, I don't know if public vote matters as I don't really care, it's just there for marketing mainly vs actually attempting to properly award games.

they added the Players Choice Award at the last minute and Fire Emblem Three House's won that.

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

CaitSeith:

they added the Players Choice Award at the last minute and Fire Emblem Three House's won that.

What does that even mean? What award is it? And how does that even work because you could vote for every ordinary award (which I only know from watching Rurikhan's video of him voting on everything)?

Though, again, public voting just ends up being a popularity contest.

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

What does that even mean? What award is it? And how does that even work because you could vote for every ordinary award (which I only know from watching Rurikhan's video of him voting on everything)?

Though, again, public voting just ends up being a popularity contest.

you apparently don't care about the game awards because they're decided majority by a jury vote and in your eyes that's just shilling games the critics want you to buy.
and you don't care about a public voted award because of it being a popularity contest.

so what type of award would be a meaning award to you then if you don't give a shit either way who decides the award?

Yoshi178:
you apparently don't care about the game awards because they're decided majority by a jury vote and in your eyes that's just shilling games the critics want you to buy.
and you don't care about a public voted award because of it being a popularity contest.

so what type of award would be a meaning award to you then if you don't give a shit either way who decides the award?

Game critics are just plain horrible at critiquing games, which makes stuff like Metacritic a joke. Everything is 8+/10 if it's competent and decently enjoyable. 7/10 if it's kinda bad and 6/10 if it is bad. You can find quite a few people on Youtube like Super BunnyHop, Errant Signal, Mark Brown, and several others (even SkillUp is pretty decent) that are far better than any review you'll read on IGN or GameSpot. Jim Sterling was one of the best reviewers and even then his analysis is pretty poor (like how he played Vanquish as a cover shooter when it's not a cover shooter), what made him respectable is that he's actually honest in his reviews; giving games he doesn't like under a 5 because he didn't find them good (his review is literally the only negative review FFXIII has on Metacritic). Game awards aren't going to be meaningful until professional game journalism/critique becomes on par with other mediums. And game reviews have only gone downhill, it's sad that back in the day EGM's 3 reviewers per game (only a couple paragraphs each mind you) gave more variance in opinion than 100 reviews do today.

Just look at film and how the Oscars work. I'm not saying there aren't issues there, but Hollywood blockbusters aren't winning Best Picture year in and year out. Movies getting an 80% Rotten rating is hard to do, 80% Rotten rating just means 80% of critics LIKED the movie, not that it scored an overall 8/10. Whereas a game getting an 8/10 means it didn't massively fuck up. Best Picture means something, it by no means "proves" XYZ movie was the very best movie. It's just a joke that a game like Uncharted 2 won GOTY, it's like a very fun game equivalent to a Hollywood blockbuster but it ain't close to being GOTY material. Rockstar games get awards for writing, it's a joke. Why was Spiderman nominated for GOTY last year? It's a very formulaic but fun game, not much more than that.

Phoenixmgs:
It's just a joke that a game like Uncharted 2 won GOTY, it's like a very fun game equivalent to a Hollywood blockbuster but it ain't close to being GOTY material.

Did you just admit that a Sony game shouldn't be GOTY?

i am absolutely shocked right now.

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:
It's just a joke that a game like Uncharted 2 won GOTY, it's like a very fun game equivalent to a Hollywood blockbuster but it ain't close to being GOTY material.

Maybe you could learn something...

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Why would I have any interest in a Sony game winning deserving GOTY?

It's about how good the game is on its own, not who made/funded it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.