Looking for an experience similar to the first Unreal game.

As fantastic as the original Unreal is, I'm kind of tired of reinstalling it every time I'm in a mood for the specific type of experience it offers. However, I've been looking, and looking, and looking, and looking and it seems it's the most unique game in the universe. So many threads over the years on so many different sites, and yet nobody can come up with any titles that could scratch that itch (well, maybe other than Metroid Prime, but it's a Nintendo franchise, so not available on PC). Still, like I said, I don't feel like playing Unreal again, so I'm looking for ideas. Perhaps you can help me with that.

I'm looking for a sci-fi/sci-fantasy game that would give me similar vibes, both in terms of atmosphere and overall design. A game about being stranded in a completely alien world, scrounging whatever you can find along the way to survive and defend yourself against a much more powerful adversary. A game where in your travels through this strange planet, you visit incredbly atmospheric locations, discovering more and more about its civilizations and inhabitants, mainly via environmental storytelling and whatever log fragments you can find, and where doing it all feels like you're taking part in a grand adventure.

Anything you can think of that fits this description? Doesn't necessarily have to be an FPS game (that seems to be the thing that's doomed all those other requests to fail in the past), as it is mainly a similar experience I'm after. Preferably something older, so my piece of garbage computer can run it, but all ideas are appreciated, as long as they're available on PC - if I can't run it now, I might be able to run it in the future, so knowing such a game exists at all is still helpful, even if it's currenly out of my reach.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy - Stranded - alien world - scrounging - survive/defend - power adversary - atmospheric vistas - learn lore - grand adventure
You say..hmm..tall order.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy - Stranded - alien world - scrounging - survive/defend - power adversary - atmospheric vistas - learn lore - grand adventure
https://www.gog.com/game/giants_citizen_kabuto

https://www.gog.com/game/anachronox

https://www.gog.com/game/crosscode

Sci-Fi/Fantasy - Stranded - alien world - scrounging - survive/defend - atmospheric vistas - learn lore - grand adventure
https://www.gog.com/game/outcast

Sci-Fi/Fantasy - scrounging - survive/defend - power adversary - atmospheric vistas - learn lore - grand adventure
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/freelancer-bbb

Sci-Fi/Fantasy - alien world - scrounging - survive/defend - power adversary - atmospheric vistas - learn lore - grand adventure
https://se.gamersgate.com/DD-HARB/harbinger

Prey (by Arkane)?

I was going to say Half Life for the continuous level story style, but then I thought Deus Ex was the best fit for amount of depth (and on the same engine to boot). But then you said stranded on an alien world, travelling this strange planet discovering more and more about its civilizations and inhabitants, mainly via environmental storytelling etc etc and I thought instantly of Planetscape Torment. Combine that with facing a much stronger adversary and you have Shadow of the Colossus.

Quite a few options to go on there.

Vendor-Lazarus:
-snip-

Great recommendations there! Out of these, Outcast and Crosscode seem to be the closest to what I want. Freelancer might also be neat, despite being slightly different from the rest of the games. Thanks a lot.

Phoenixmgs:
Prey (by Arkane)?

From what I could read about it, it seems to fit quite well. I'll add it to the "gonna play it sometime in the future" list, since I have no chance of running it on my current hardware. Thank you.

Squilookle:
I was going to say Half Life for the continuous level story style, but then I thought Deus Ex was the best fit for amount of depth (and on the same engine to boot). But then you said stranded on an alien world, travelling this strange planet discovering more and more about its civilizations and inhabitants, mainly via environmental storytelling etc etc and I thought instantly of Planetscape Torment. Combine that with facing a much stronger adversary and you have Shadow of the Colossus.

None of those games fit what I'm looking for. The titles you listed share single elements from the experience I described, but none of them really have it all in one package.

ninja666:

Vendor-Lazarus:
-snip-

Great recommendations there! Out of these, Outcast and Crosscode seem to be the closest to what I want. Freelancer might also be neat, despite being slightly different from the rest of the games. Thanks a lot.

Phoenixmgs:
Prey (by Arkane)?

From what I could read about it, it seems to fit quite well. I'll add it to the "gonna play it sometime in the future" list, since I have no chance of running it on my current hardware. Thank you.

Squilookle:

None of those games fit what I'm looking for. The titles you listed share single elements from the experience I described, but none of them really have it all in one package.

Both Deus Ex and Planetscape tick off everything you have said.

Squilookle:
Both Deus Ex and Planetscape tick off everything you have said.

Fair enough, with Planescape: Torment I can kind of agree. With Deus Ex, though? Not really.

ninja666:

Vendor-Lazarus:
-snip-

No problem. Hope you find what you're looking for.
I would want you to reconsider Anachronox again though..
I think it has everything you're looking for.

Vendor-Lazarus:

I would want you to reconsider Anachronox again though..
I think it has everything you're looking for.

I'll be sure to check it out as well, then. Thanks once again.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here