Will Final Fantasy ever go back to its FANTASY Roots?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Between 13, 15, and 7 Remake. All of which take place in these heavily sci fi-esque settings. And the ones that takes place in a Fantasy setting are MMOs at the moment with FF XIV.

Will a mainline game ever go back to its fantasy setting roots of older games like Final Fantasy 4 or 9?

I forget where I read this (and I may be wrong), but my understanding is that Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are two sides of the same coin for Square. Dragon Quest is the 'safe' franchise with a defined aesthetic, setting, and style. Dragon Quest is a series where each came is very much in sync with the other.

Final Fantasy, on the other hand, is the 'risky' franchise. This shows in that each main installment takes place in its own setting, with its own characters, gameplay, aesthetic, etc.

I bring this up because I don't think the question gets to the heart of the matter. Final Fantasy can do traditional fantasy, sure, but it won't go back to its 'roots' because the entire point of the franchise in its current form is that it's free to do whatever. There's only a few key elements that go from game to game, and its setting/aesthetic aren't among them. If a FF16 does traditional fantasy, rest assured that a FF17 wouldn't.

No. The series is too in love with its own mythology and aesthetic to be able to make a break like that. It doesn't really need to anyway. For all the arguments regarding recent entries' quality, they stand out from any other fantasy game on the market.

Bravely Default already did so FF has no reason to.

I'm more interested to see if they ever make a Final Fantasy that really, actually is the final one.

Octopath Traveler and (from what I'm told) Bravely Default basically are Classic FF games under another name. Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly care for the series anymore(IX was where it peaked, IMHO, and the last game I really enjoyed) but Octopath and BD exist to scratch that itch so I'm not gonna get salty about it.

I really don't get why certain fantasy settings are used over and over and over again. It's FANTASY, anything but the real-world is a fantasy setting. I want new worlds, races, classes, etc. If the next Witcher game does the same setting again, it would be a waste of everything they did with Ciri (she can go to ANY world), she could be like Doctor Who. But we'll probably get the same same-y fantasy setting we always with characters we already know.

I mean, there's always been random sci-fi dribbled into FFs. Likely a crossover effect from the 80s CRPG's they were basically cloning that also tended to include it. There's literally mech enemies and a space station in the first game.

Seth Carter:
I mean, there's always been random sci-fi dribbled into FFs. Likely a crossover effect from the 80s CRPG's they were basically cloning that also tended to include it. There's literally mech enemies and a space station in the first game.

Not to mention the Time Loop/Time Travel Twist ending.

And FFIV the whole thing about

Samtemdo8:
Between 13, 15, and 7 Remake. All of which take place in these heavily sci fi-esque settings. And the ones that takes place in a Fantasy setting are MMOs at the moment with FF XIV.

Will a mainline game ever go back to its fantasy setting roots of older games like Final Fantasy 4 or 9?

FFXIV is science fantasy, like FFVI. The game's primary antagonist faction are outfitted with a panoply of Magitek most similar to the Gestahlian Empire in FFVI, albeit possibly somewhat more advanced, and the whole world's built on the ashes of the highly technologically advanced Allagan Empire. Also during the events of Stormblood's endgame

(And really VII, VIII, XIII, and XV are just the same science fantasy in a more contemporary setting)

Dalisclock:
Octopath Traveler and (from what I'm told) Bravely Default basically are Classic FF games under another name. Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly care for the series anymore(IX was where it peaked, IMHO, and the last game I really enjoyed) but Octopath and BD exist to scratch that itch so I'm not gonna get salty about it.

Octopath is more classic while Bravely is more neo-classic and it innovates a lot of things of the genre while feeling literally like an old ff. It may call some jobs differently and it may have some new elements to those jobs but it also has classics like Dark Knights and Dragoons and so on (with the same mechanical elements they had in FF).

Bravely's story is also a whole hell of a lot more like a FF too, so that adds to the feel.

Who cares. Squeenix couldn't write their way out of a paper bag, whatever that means. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a Square Enix game, and I've played a fair few.

Samtemdo8:

Dalisclock:

Seth Carter:

Why you two have to ninja me? But yeah; saying that Final Fantasy's true roots is fantasy, is cutting off at least 1/4th of the games. Funny that the FFIV example starts with ships that fly thanks to engineering (not magic or ancient tech)

CaitSeith:

Samtemdo8:

Dalisclock:

Seth Carter:

Why you two have to ninja me? But yeah; saying that Final Fantasy's true roots is fantasy, is cutting off at least 1/4th of the games. Funny that the FFIV example starts with ships that fly thanks to engineering (not magic or ancient tech)

Yeah the first game had Airships.

I still want a new BIG Final Fantasy game that looks more like the worlds of FF 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, mabye 6, and 9, with some influence from the Ivalice games.

I actually really liked the setting of Final Fantasy XV. Can't say I liked much else about it but, you know, it had that going for it. And generally I'd say, the Final Fantasy series, even the weaker games, have unique setting. I'd hate for them to give those up in favour of generic tolkienian fantasy.

Samtemdo8:

I still want a new BIG Final Fantasy game that looks more like the worlds of FF 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, mabye 6, and 9, with some influence from the Ivalice games.

Enough with the brown already!

bluegate:

Samtemdo8:

Enough with the brown already!

Ivalice is brown?

No, because there are no "roots" to go back to; the entire point of FF is to do something new with each installment, to explore new worlds, new characters, new themes. FF's I-VII always tried to do something new with the setting and themes. Reminding people of concepts that have already been done is pointless. Heck, if anything FF needs to do LESS with nostalgia because there is no such thing as a "traditional" FF no matter what numskulls like Kitase claim.

Aiddon:
No, because there are no "roots" to go back to; the entire point of FF is to do something new with each installment, to explore new worlds, new characters, new themes. FF's I-VII always tried to do something new with the setting and themes. Reminding people of concepts that have already been done is pointless. Heck, if anything FF needs to do LESS with nostalgia because there is no such thing as a "traditional" FF no matter what numskulls like Kitase claim.

The last time they tried something new, we got the Fabula Nova Crystalis games....(The XIII Trilogy)

Samtemdo8:

CaitSeith:

Samtemdo8:

Dalisclock:

In other words, you want Final Fantasy to go back to ripping-off Dragon Quest's setting.

Final Fantasy is mostly interesting concepts and settings, but sloppy executions. I like seeing modern/future cities where people are running around with weird alternative fashion and using magic, guns, and swords.

Samtemdo8:

Aiddon:

The last time they tried something new, we got the Fabula Nova Crystalis games....(The XIII Trilogy)

Wrong; if anything, it was them trying to relive the past. Seriously the game has "Trying be the new FFVII" all over it, right down to having a female version of Cloud (a decade too late as well considering that Parasite Eve did that with Aya Brea). The problem with XIII is it forgot the reason FFVII was so groundbreaking: it was a deconstruction. It was a MASSIVE dismantling of all sorts of RPG cliches such as the rebel alliance being a bunch of terrorists, the pure white magic girl being neither naive nor pure and actually being sassy and street smart, the "empire" being a modern multi-nation conglomerate, and the villains being corporate suits, not-Jiro Ishii, John Carpenter's The Thing, and psycho Captain America. There's a reason every attempt to do more with it failed; none of the creative who tried it understand deconstruction because that requires self-critique.

No, FF needs to do more new stuff instead of trying to relive its glory days. It needs to do something fresh, something instead of playing it safe or going back to the past. There are no roots to return to, no basics to reexamine.

CaitSeith:

Samtemdo8:

CaitSeith:

In other words, you want Final Fantasy to go back to ripping-off Dragon Quest's setting.

Funny enough they retconned that to it being Link instead of Erdrick in that grave so technically it should go back to ripping Hyrule.

Aiddon:

Samtemdo8:

Aiddon:

Wrong; if anything, it was them trying to relive the past. Seriously the game has "Trying be the new FFVII" all over it, right down to having a female version of Cloud (a decade too late as well considering that Parasite Eve did that with Aya Brea). The problem with XIII is it forgot the reason FFVII was so groundbreaking: it was a deconstruction. It was a MASSIVE dismantling of all sorts of RPG cliches such as the rebel alliance being a bunch of terrorists, the pure white magic girl being neither naive nor pure and actually being sassy and street smart, the "empire" being a modern multi-nation conglomerate, and the villains being corporate suits, not-Jiro Ishii, John Carpenter's The Thing, and psycho Captain America. There's a reason every attempt to do more with it failed; none of the creative who tried it understand deconstruction because that requires self-critique.

No, FF needs to do more new stuff instead of trying to relive its glory days. It needs to do something fresh, something instead of playing it safe or going back to the past. There are no roots to return to, no basics to reexamine.

The turned based combat wasn't a root?

Final Fantasy has ALWAYS had a bit of the magictek influence to it. Even the most straight forward fantasy games had airships and tech that goes far beyond the setting under the guise of magictek. So while it had it's basis in fantasy and D&D style play, it was never strictly Fantasy. Even 9, which setting wise was probably the most straightforward D&D fantasy setting, it still had airships and things like that.

So the answer is no.

As others have mentioned already, Final Fantasy has always used the "Fantasy" part of its name broadly. As in, high fantasy and science fiction blended together.

That said, Yoshida (FFXIV's lead) is rumored to be putting together a team for FFXVI and has expressed interest in a more traditional fantasy setting for the next FF game. I'd be totally on board for something in the same vein as FFIX.

Fappy:
As others have mentioned already, Final Fantasy has always used the "Fantasy" part of its name broadly. As in, high fantasy and science fiction blended together.

That said, Yoshida (FFXIV's lead) is rumored to be putting together a team for FFXVI and has expressed interest in a more traditional fantasy setting for the next FF game. I'd be totally on board for something in the same vein as FFIX.

I hope the Protagonist is someone like Cecil because Cecil is far and away one of, if not the best protagonist in all of Final Fantasy.

Ever since Cecil FF Protag's became worse.

5's Bartz was a clown
There was no Protagonist in 6
Cloud was the start of the emo.
Squall was the epitome of the emo.
Zidane was cool but I want prefer a protagonist that is a bit more Aragorn-esque.
Tidus is probably the worse protagonist in the series even though I understand his story.
Vaan was never meant to be in the game at all.
Lightning wasn't that great either.
Noctis narrative wise was ok, I just didn't like his design.

Samtemdo8:

Fappy:

I hope the Protagonist is someone like Cecil because Cecil is far and away one of, if not the best protagonist in all of Final Fantasy.

Ever since Cecil FF Protag's became worse.

5's Bartz was a clown
There was no Protagonist in 6
Cloud was the start of the emo.
Squall was the epitome of the emo.
Zidane was cool but I want prefer a protagonist that is a bit more Aragorn-esque.
Tidus is probably the worse protagonist in the series even though I understand his story.
Vaan was never meant to be in the game at all.
Lightning wasn't that great either.
Noctis narrative wise was ok, I just didn't like his design.

I love Cloud and Zidane. Zidane fit the tone of the story perfectly and was basically a better version of Vaan. As for Cloud, I really don't think he was as emo as people remember. Advent Children certainly did not help with that interpretation of him though.

It is funny you mention Vaan, because at the end of the day he is our POV character but I hesitate to call him the protagonist. Ashe and Balthier feel like the real protags, and I love them both.

Fappy:
love Cloud and Zidane. Zidane fit the tone of the story perfectly and was basically a better version of Vaan. As for Cloud, I really don't think he was as emo as people remember. Advent Children certainly did not help with that interpretation of him though.

It is funny you mention Vaan, because at the end of the day he is our POV character but I hesitate to call him the protagonist. Ashe and Balthier feel like the real protags, and I love them both.

I agree. Cloud starts FF7 as an asshole but he isn't and never was at any point of that game, emo. Advent Children gave him that bullshit and that seems to be what people remember the most which is sad.

Vaan is definitely the player proxy, but he isn't the main character at all. He just kinda tags along and is the player's reason to see all the shit happen.

CritialGaming:

Fappy:
love Cloud and Zidane. Zidane fit the tone of the story perfectly and was basically a better version of Vaan. As for Cloud, I really don't think he was as emo as people remember. Advent Children certainly did not help with that interpretation of him though.

I agree. Cloud starts FF7 as an asshole but he isn't and never was at any point of that game, emo. Advent Children gave him that bullshit and that seems to be what people remember the most which is sad.

Vaan is definitely the player proxy, but he isn't the main character at all. He just kinda tags along and is the player's reason to see all the shit happen.

Despite how he actually was in the original game, I still prefer Cecil over Cloud.

Fappy:

It's not just that, it's that FF at its peak never did the same thing twice; this isn't like Dragon Quest or Zelda which remixed old themes and archetypes, FF always tried to do something radically different with each entry which is why they kept making new terminology and concepts with each world. I would say the problems began with FFIX where they thought being "nostalgic" was possible...but since FF is a very eclectic series, even in the early days, that's just not possible.

This only became exacerbated with the departure of Sakaguchi upon which FF played it utterly safe. XII-XV have this obsession with being "traditional" despite being no tradition with FF. Which is why those games also have incredibly contentious reception. You can't make a tradition out of something whose entire concept is about breaking tradition

And before any of that, FF has bigger problems, like the fact that the development cycles are complete clusterfucks and that the mainline series has become a directors' graveyard. On average, every FF since XII has had a five-year-plus dev cycle and every single director has either left Square or effectively been put into exile. That is a TERRIBLE thing let happen with their flagship series. This is also why I don't buy into the wishful thinking that Yoshida will somehow come in with FFXVI; dude is happy being full-time on XIV where he has complete creative control so why would he want to deal with the mires of the next mainline entry? It's just not worth it

Meh, setting doesn't matter quite so much as writing quality and gameplay, both of which the series has struggled with. Dragon Quest sticks to traditional fantasy, so it's understandable that FF would try to bring it into more modern settings. FFXII's Ivalice is probably one of the best detailed, but I had some other problems with the game.

Given the decision, I'd like to see an extremely magic-driven fantasy setting, basically Harry Potter with all the children's safeguards about references to magical racism removed from the start: If you can use magic well, you're virtually guaranteed wealth and success, but if you can't you're discarded to the bottom of the pile to try and make a living in a wasteland full of monsters.

CritialGaming:

Fappy:

I thought everyone remembered Cloud for that fuck awful laugh. Or am I confusing him with a different Final Fantasy character?

Gordon_4:

CritialGaming:

Fappy:

I thought everyone remembered Cloud for that fuck awful laugh. Or am I confusing him with a different Final Fantasy character?

The laughing was Tidus from final fantasy 10. And that scene was to show how socially awkward he was. Not the other voice acting exactly helps.

CoCage:

Gordon_4:

CritialGaming:

The laughing was Tidus from final fantasy 10. And that scene was to show how socially awkward he was. Not the other voice acting exactly helps.

In context the laugh is rather sad. If I remember correctly it happens after a Sin attack (basically Godzilla) and Yuna is beating herself up over not being able to do more. Titus then acts like a clown to try and cheer her up. If you feel sad then just laugh I think he says. Hes forcing himself to laugh after a tragedy in order to keep Yuna from dwelling on the tragedy, hes deliberately hamming it up. That said the execution fails to get this across, so this decent character moment is just a massive meme now.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.