Will Final Fantasy ever go back to its FANTASY Roots?

Pages PREV 1 2

CoCage:

Gordon_4:

CritialGaming:

I agree. Cloud starts FF7 as an asshole but he isn't and never was at any point of that game, emo. Advent Children gave him that bullshit and that seems to be what people remember the most which is sad.

Vaan is definitely the player proxy, but he isn't the main character at all. He just kinda tags along and is the player's reason to see all the shit happen.

I thought everyone remembered Cloud for that fuck awful laugh. Or am I confusing him with a different Final Fantasy character?

The laughing was Tidus from final fantasy 10. And that scene was to show how socially awkward he was. Not the other voice acting exactly helps.

Thanks, I had a nagging feeling I was wrong.

Dansen:

CoCage:

Gordon_4:

I thought everyone remembered Cloud for that fuck awful laugh. Or am I confusing him with a different Final Fantasy character?

The laughing was Tidus from final fantasy 10. And that scene was to show how socially awkward he was. Not the other voice acting exactly helps.

In context the laugh is rather sad. If I remember correctly it happens after a Sin attack (basically Godzilla) and Yuna is beating herself up over not being able to do more. Titus then acts like a clown to try and cheer her up. If you feel sad then just laugh I think he says. Hes forcing himself to laugh after a tragedy in order to keep Yuna from dwelling on the tragedy, hes deliberately hamming it up. That said the execution fails to get this across, so this decent character moment is just a massive meme now.

I don't even mind the laugh. It works in context. I was more annoyed by Tidus's overall personality and speech pattern. So much I remember wishing there was a way to turn off the speech only and just have the music and sounds. Or switch it to Japanese or something.

I would have also accepted a button that adminstered electroshocks to TIdus on demand, to be used to keep him from talking so much.

It's honestly kinda sad because Tidus's VA knows how to Voice Act and even in the later parts of the game(including his narration over the intro) shows he can do a good job, but most of his dialogue in the early parts of the game is just obnoxious. Though this can be blamed on the scriptwriter and director, honestly.

Lulu:"If you want everything, you get nothing"
Tidus:"But I want everything!"(in an incredibly Whiny voice)

I get Tidus is supposed to be a spoiled little shit with daddy issues but it doesn't make him any less annoying. Just like I get that Holden Caulfied in Cather in the Rye is supposed to be a whiney teenager but it doesn't make me less inclined to want to punch him in the mouth to get him the shut up for 5 minutes.

Dalisclock:

Dansen:

CoCage:

In context the laugh is rather sad. If I remember correctly it happens after a Sin attack (basically Godzilla) and Yuna is beating herself up over not being able to do more. Titus then acts like a clown to try and cheer her up. If you feel sad then just laugh I think he says. Hes forcing himself to laugh after a tragedy in order to keep Yuna from dwelling on the tragedy, hes deliberately hamming it up. That said the execution fails to get this across, so this decent character moment is just a massive meme now.

I don't even mind the laugh. It works in context. I was more annoyed by Tidus's overall personality and speech pattern. So much I remember wishing there was a way to turn off the speech only and just have the music and sounds. Or switch it to Japanese or something.

I would have also accepted a button that adminstered electroshocks to TIdus on demand, to be used to keep him from talking so much.

It's honestly kinda sad because Tidus's VA knows how to Voice Act and even in the later parts of the game(including his narration over the intro) shows he can do a good job, but most of his dialogue in the early parts of the game is just obnoxious. Though this can be blamed on the scriptwriter and director, honestly.

Lulu:"If you want everything, you get nothing"
Tidus:"But I want everything!"(in an incredibly Whiny voice)

I get Tidus is supposed to be a spoiled little shit with daddy issues but it doesn't make him any less annoying. Just like I get that Holden Caulfied in Cather in the Rye is supposed to be a whiney teenager but it doesn't make me less inclined to want to punch him in the mouth to get him the shut up for 5 minutes.

Holden Fucking Caulfield. Fuck that novel and fuck its chump of the month protagonist.

Honestly, the only purely fantasy games I can think of in the series are Crystal Chronicle (only the first one) and Mystic Quest. And while I wouldn't mind a few more games in the vein of Crystal Chronicle, Mystic Quest needs to remain dead and buried.

Wrex Brogan:

Honestly, the only purely fantasy games I can think of in the series are Crystal Chronicle (only the first one) and Mystic Quest. And while I wouldn't mind a few more games in the vein of Crystal Chronicle, Mystic Quest needs to remain dead and buried.

Not that I have any particular love for Mystic Quest(I played it for a bit when I was a kid) but wasn't it supposed to be a "Final Fantasy for beginners/kids" game? I wouldn't hold it against the rest of the series for comparison.

And I say that as someone with fond memories of the early numbered games(Everything prior to 10...and maybe 8 if I ever get around to playing it).

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here