Resident Evil 3 Remake Reveal Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

That first person portion of the trailer made me thought "are they gonna have it be in first person this time? or at least the option to?"

Also infected/zombie looking Jill in one scene made me think are they gonna have some viral infection feature like in Outbreak?

Anyways, this looks not as scary as the older games, but that was the point because Resident Evil 3 was at the time the most action oriented game in the series, and it fit the setup. Jill is trying to escape from this Zombie and Mutant infested hellhole of a city that's been quarantined. So its more survival then horror.

What made it a spooky experience was Nemesis stalking you throughout the whole game as this almost invincible boogeyman, pretty much exactly like the Terminator.

I... don't know. Did this look super rough to anyone else? The lip sync, the facial animations, the faces?! I know this is a trailer and RE 2 is a fully realized game, but RE2 looks a hell of a lot better graphically in my eyes.

Samtemdo8:
That first person portion of the trailer made me thought "are they gonna have it be in first person this time? or at least the option to?"

Also infected/zombie looking Jill in one scene made me think are they gonna have some viral infection feature like in Outbreak?

I can see where you're going with that. I think the line of "How could this many people be infected" might link it to the water like that old movie "The Crazies".

But yeah, they are probably just going to stick with Rats eating the sample, biting homeless, and the virus spreading like that.

That could be the time where Jill gets infected and you take over as Carlos. Her trying to gather her wits and that's how she's freaking out.

ObsidianJones:
I... don't know. Did this look super rough to anyone else? The lip sync, the facial animations, the faces?! I know this is a trailer and RE 2 is a fully realized game, but RE2 looks a hell of a lot better graphically in my eyes.

Samtemdo8:

I can see where you're going with that. I think the line of "How could this many people be infected" might link it to the water like that old movie "The Crazies".

But yeah, they are probably just going to stick with Rats eating the sample, biting homeless, and the virus spreading like that.

That could be the time where Jill gets infected and you take over as Carlos. Her trying to gather her wits and that's how she's freaking out.

There was a part of the game where Jill got infected and you play as Carlos to make a cure. But I wonder if this is something that is more integrated into gameplay with this remake?

Samtemdo8:

She gets infected by Nemesis in the original, making you switch over to Carlos who then has to get the cure for her. Maybe they'll expand on/twist that for the remake.

Anyway, looks good. I like how there seems to be more people around considering this takes place early on into the Racoon City outbreak. In the original you got that one really cool cutscene, but once the gameplay starts the streets are dead. I'm also wondering how they're going to lock you in, seeing as this game mainly takes place on the streets of Racoon City and RE2 Remake showed that the streets were pretty damn wide now.

Dario better be here though.

The elephant in the room is going to be Nemesis and how they're going to implement him. He obviously needs to be way more dangerous than Mr. X was in RE2 Remake, and they can't just use the Mr. X mechanic and slap a bazooka on there and be done with it. Nemesis in the original couldn't only track you through doors, he was also faster than you. And one of the scariest images in the original game was seeing Nemesis charging at you at full speed. So the "new" Nemesis needs to be an equel upgrade over RE2 Remake Mr. X as original Nemesis was over the original Mr. X.

ObsidianJones:

Check out the reveal trailer for RE2 Remake, it has the same pre-rendered wax face look on the characters, especially Leon, as Jill has here. I think they just made this for the trailer and that's why it looks off.

Casual Shinji:

Samtemdo8:

She gets infected by Nemesis in the original, making you switch over to Carlos who then has to get the cure for her. Maybe they'll expand on/twist that for the remake.

Anyway, looks good. I like how there seems to be more people around considering this takes place early on into the Racoon City outbreak. In the original you got that one really cool cutscene, but once the gameplay starts the streets are dead. I'm also wondering how they're going to lock you in, seeing as this game mainly takes place on the streets of Racoon City and RE2 Remake showed that the streets were pretty damn wide now.

Dario better be here though.

The elephant in the room is going to be Nemesis and how they're going to implement him. He obviously needs to be way more dangerous than Mr. X was in RE2 Remake, and they can't just use the Mr. X mechanic and slap a bazooka on there and be done with it. Nemesis in the original couldn't only track you through doors, he was also faster than you. And one of the scariest images in the original game was seeing Nemesis charging at you at full speed. So the "new" Nemesis needs to an equel upgrade over [i]RE2 Remake [i] Mr. X as original Nemesis was over the original Mr. X.

I am also hoping they make him use more then a rocket launcher. In the movie he had a minigun.

Another important thing to know how is Raccoon City gonna work as a game world to play in because by technicality Resident Evil 3 had the largest map of the Survival Horror Games. Even revisiting the Police Station at one point.

Like am I gonna now walk in wide open streets filled with Zombies only finding safety in the Alleyways?

And will Nemesis try to follow you in real time throughout the whole game? Like I could be doing stuff in say the Gas Station and Nemesis is actively walking around near the police station like a mile away.

Looks dope. I don't remember much of RE3 but if they do as good as they did with RE2 then I am all in. It looks like Re3 is gonna be more story heavy which is cool. I think RE3 is when the series starting going batshit crazy with its plot right?

Either way, I like Jill's new design. I like that there will be costumes again and I'm sure modders will go crazy with the game as well. Good times.

Samtemdo8:
I am also hoping they make him use more then a rocket launcher. In the movie he had a minigun.

I don't need him to have more guns. Even in the original he was way scarier without the bazooka, because it meant he was gonna get close and personal. The rockets were easy to avoid, Nemesis' mitts not so much.

If you look at OG Mr.X, OG Nemesis, and new Mr. X, there's a proper gameplay evolution from one character to the next; OG Mr. X would only spawn in predetermined rooms, and would despawn if you killed him or left the room. OG Nemesis could follow you from room to room in predetermined areas and was faster than you. You could kill him to make him despawn, but it was a lot of effort. New Mr. X was slower than OG nemesis, but followed you through at least 80% of the police station, and he was invincible. I want new Nemesis to be the next proper stage of the stalker mechanic.

There's gameplay now.

Looks like Jill will have her emergency dodge, though hopefully it won't be as crappy to perform as the original. And if they make the zombies as tough to deal with as in RE2 Remake and there are seeming much more of them, it makes sense to give the player a dodge move.

Casual Shinji:
There's gameplay now.

Looks like Jill will have her emergency dodge, though hopefully it won't be as crappy to perform as the original. And if they make the zombies as tough to deal with as in RE2 Remake and there are seeming much more of them, it makes sense to give the player a dodge move.

Especially if Nemesis is gonna charge at you like a bull.

Apparently this game is being developed by the RE7 team, meaning it's been in developement for longer that I thought. Initially I thought they just started cranking this game out after RE2 Remake released and with a release of April next year it got me very worried. But nope, looks like this is getting the time it deserves, and I'm much more excited now than I was a few hours ago.

Casual Shinji:
Apparently this game is being developed by the RE7 team, meaning it's been in developement for longer that I thought. Initially I thought they just started cranking this game out after RE2 Remake released and with a release of April next year it got me very worried. But nope, looks like this is getting the time it deserves, and I'm much more excited now than I was a few hours ago.

It does look good and frankly I'm glad they are keeping the core gameplay system of RE2 in place because that worked quite well. This is going to be a very fun experience and i'm looking forward to it. Though I may not get it at launch depending on how much im still buried in FF7Remake.

In the original, Carlos looked like a boy band member but had a semi-believable South American accent; now he looks authentic but sounds like a regular American.

Casual Shinji:

This is nothing new for RE3. The original version was released a year not long after RE2. RE2 came out January 1998, and RE3 came out September 1999. History repeats itself as 3 and the newer version are running on modified versions of their respective engines. Honestly, you had nothing to worry about.

Casual Shinji:

I highly doubt this, but I would wish for them to pull off a nightmare sequence like in the RE3 Manwha.

Also, I called it on the dev team working on 3 as soon as 2 was finshed, and that the classic costumes would be Deluxe/"pre-order bonus".

Samtemdo8:

The only other RE game you can play in first person is Evil Within 2. There is the FPS mod on PC, but Bethesda made it official on consoles.

CritialGaming:
I think RE3 is when the series starting going batshit crazy with its plot right?

The level of 'crazy' in the series has gone up and down, but I'd say it began with Code: Veronica. Of the original trilogy, RE3 arguably has the simplest plot - it's certainly more simple than RE2.

CoCage:

Casual Shinji:

I highly doubt this, but I would wish for them to pull off a nightmare sequence like in the RE3 Manwha.

When you look at that final shot of zombie Jill it looks like this is before the game really starts; She's standing at a sink, probably in her own apartment, and she looks clean and unscaved. So maybe those quick flashes of her as a zombie is Jill having PTSD from her time in the Spencer mansion. It would be kinda cool if that whole ordeal actually left some psychological trauma, maybe flesh out these characters a bit more.

Woohoo. This is gonna be good. Releases so soon as well. FF7 Remake, Nioh 2, RE3 Remake, Cyberpunk. First few months of 2020 are packed.

meh. RE2 remake was overrated. i rather wanted RE8 in first person.

this will be just RE2 remake copy and paste.

B-Cell:

False, completely different map, story, and characters. No copy and paste there. Hell there aren't even any of the same locations from RE2.

Also this has multiplayer which RE2 didn't have.

What's the copy and paste?

B-Cell:

Once again to the surprise of no-one, B-cell has no idea what the hell he's talking about. It's not the game's fault you couldn't get an S+ rank on normal or hard mode. WhenResident Evil 3 remake comes out, do us a favor and don't comment on anything. Cuz we already know you're not going to get the game.

CritialGaming:

B-Cell:

False, completely different map, story, and characters. No copy and paste there. Hell there aren't even any of the same locations from RE2.

Also this has multiplayer which RE2 didn't have.

What's the copy and paste?

RE2 remake just released and they are releasing right after year and announced it with release date.

they will reuse exact same assets and thus it will be more of RE2 remake in RE3 skin.

B-Cell:

RE2 remake just released and they are releasing right after year and announced it with release date.

they will reuse exact same assets and thus it will be more of RE2 remake in RE3 skin.

Wrong. Different team, using the same ReEngine that Resident Evil 7, and 2 used. Additionally an entirely different studio worked on the mutliplayer game which was originally going to be its own game, that they are packaging with RE3.

The reason that development (which has been in process for a couple of years) seems faster to you is because it's a REMAKE. Meaning they know the story, they know what everything is supposed to look like, how things go, and even what all the art will look like. That is an incredible amount of dev work already done by sheer nature of it being a Remake.

So you don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

CritialGaming:

B-Cell:

Wrong. Different team, using the same ReEngine that Resident Evil 7, and 2 used. Additionally an entirely different studio worked on the mutliplayer game which was originally going to be its own game, that they are packaging with RE3.

The reason that development (which has been in process for a couple of years) seems faster to you is because it's a REMAKE. Meaning they know the story, they know what everything is supposed to look like, how things go, and even what all the art will look like. That is an incredible amount of dev work already done by sheer nature of it being a Remake.

He'd be singing a different tune if the game was in first person.

CritialGaming:

B-Cell:

there a difference between remake and remastered.

remake being develop from Zero. in remastered you just have to enhance the visuals and overhaul the gameplay.

I mean look at system shock remake which has been cancelled before and the re announced again and is coming next year.

B-Cell:

CritialGaming:

B-Cell:

there a difference between remake and remastered.

remake being develop from Zero. in remastered you just have to enhance the visuals and overhaul the gameplay.

I mean look at system shock remake which has been cancelled before and the re announced again and is coming next year.

I say again "you don't know what the fuck you are talking about."

Nobody said anything about remasters.

Yeah System Shock has been a on and off development. But I'll remind you that the RE2 Remake was also stop and start in development. They were talking about RE2 remakes way back when the made the remakes for 1 on the Gamecube. Yet it took 15 years for the real deal to actually happen. Doesn't mean it should take 15 years to Remake 3. That's not how shit works.

I still haven't played the RE2 Remake. This looks about as interesting though, and I'd like to try it whenever I get through some of my backlog.

Having said that, the only RE games I've played through are RE, RE2, RE3, RE4, REmaster GC, and some of RE0. I'd like to at least finish that last one before getting into either of the REmakes.

How much upgrading is involved in RE2 Remake in terms of gameplay mechanics?

That's one big thing my interest in playing these would hinge on, because I'm kinda getting burnt out on games that use it. It's been so refreshing going back to Uncharted 4 for a Crushing run. What you see is what you get and the game still somehow manages to be plenty long, challenging and varied enough. If it wasn't for the freedom of Bloodborne's game design it would probably be my favorite game from this generation along side RDR2.

Speaking of Naughty Dog games it also makes me a bit leery about TLoU2 if it's going to make you upgrade to hold your breath while aiming. Shouldn't we just be able to do that naturally, like beginner weapon use training would dictate?

I guess it depends on how they implement it.

hanselthecaretaker:

If you're talking upgrade trees and skills, no. But you will be able to upgrade weapons by finding weapon mods, increase inventory space, mix gun powder for three different ammo types, and ofcourse there's mixing herbs. The game is about item management and threat management, and these mechanics factor into that.

hanselthecaretaker:
I still haven?t played the RE2 Remake. This looks about as interesting tough, and I?d like to try it whenever I get through some of my backlog.

Having said that, the only RE games I?ve played through are RE, RE2, RE3, RE4, REmaster GC, and some of RE0. I?d like to at least finish that last one before getting into either of the REmakes.

You might wanna jump on at least getting RE2Remake because it's on sale for 20 bucks right now thanks to the Game Awards.

So far this game is gonna be more of a reimagining of RE 3.

The 2nd game tried to be a bit too faithful to the old game so I guess they decided to experiment a bit more with 3.

Casual Shinji:

hanselthecaretaker:

If you're talking upgrade trees and skills, no. But you will be able to upgrade weapons by finding weapon mods, increase inventory space, mix gun powder for three different ammo types, and ofcourse there's mixing herbs. The game is about item management and threat management, and these mechanics factor into that.

So more like classic RE stuff. That sounds quite a bit better than the former. When it comes down to it, the upgrade trees and skill stuff is a huge turnoff in terms of replay value to me. I can get behind NG+ modes where you keep what you've gained, but to start from scratch over and over is counterintuitive and simply not fun or worth the time imo.

CritialGaming:

hanselthecaretaker:
I still haven't played the RE2 Remake. This looks about as interesting tough, and I?d like to try it whenever I get through some of my backlog.

Having said that, the only RE games I've played through are RE, RE2, RE3, RE4, REmaster GC, and some of RE0. I'd like to at least finish that last one before getting into either of the REmakes.

You might wanna jump on at least getting RE2Remake because it's on sale for 20 bucks right now thanks to the Game Awards.

Cool, thanks. RE2 really was one of my all time favorites in that brief, peculiar period between the classic and modern era. I really want to get through Dark Souls 3 next but am kinda getting burnt out on the formula. Was spoiled by Red Dead 2's insane attention to detail with gunshot physics among everything else, and getting back into Uncharted 4 recently where the progression is so logical and deliberate. It never wastes the player's time bloating its contents with nonsense padding or fluffy numerical subsystems; what you see is what you get and your skill is the biggest variable to how you proceed.

I'm not sure how I'll like The Last of Us 2 by contrast, since I also tried getting back into the Remaster but it's just too tedious. It really doesn't hold up as well as I remember playing the original six years ago. Pick up bottle or brick to distract or startle the next goon squad while stealthing through x environment. Suffocate, melee or shoot depending on what the context requires. You really end up having to play it a certain way to succeed on the higher difficulty at least, so whatever sense of player freedom of choice the game wants to offer is mostly a lost cause. I'm really not sure what the "heartbeat" mechanic in the sequel will do for gameplay, or how it will end up meaning anything to the player.

In a way it's also why I'm not even really looking forward to going back to The Witcher 3 yet either. The only thing keeping my interest there is the questing and treasure hunting for Witcher gear, because the prospect of going through all those different upgrade paths kinda deflate my enthusiasm. I mean rhetorically speaking, considering his lifetime of experience why hasn't Geralt done all that already anyways.

Samtemdo8:

The 2nd game tried to be a bit too faithful to the old game

Um, how? Certainly not in gameplay.

Hawki:

Samtemdo8:

Just the overall layout of the game's progression.

Though of course the most original thing about the game is the different scenario of playing as Sherry Birkin playing hide and seek with Brian Irons.

Samtemdo8:

Hawki:

Samtemdo8:

Just the overall layout of the game's progression.

Though of course the most original thing about the game is the different scenario of playing as Sherry Birkin playing hide and seek with Brian Irons.

I think you can expect the same level of similarity in RE3 Remake. There were already a bunch of recognizable areas in the trailer, like the bar that Brad runs into, the train, the garage/gasstation where the dude with the knit cap was sitting, and ofcourse the RPD.

A big selling point with these remakes is seeing the old through a new lense, so that fans of the original can get hit in the nostalgia. I can assure you this game will have the lay-out of city streets, followed by clocktower, followed by the hopital, followed by park/cemetary, followed by industrial area. Maybe some will get switched with others, but that's the areas we'll probably be getting.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here