Xbox Series X

Pages PREV 1 2

It looks impressive, and could possibly be the best piece of hardware they put out due to what appears to be plenty of cooling capacity.

Nevertheless, games are what will sell it. Finding enough of them that'll make people buy an X-SeX over PS5 is the problem, like this past gen. Hell, even the PS3 eventually pulled ahead due to top notch first party efforts and free online. Microsoft owes their initial 360 success to a head start and a good online infrastructure. The fact that they deliberately rushed a buggered console out the door to get the jump on Sony and still ended up paying for it down the road speaks for itself.

Closing out the seventh gen, all Sony had to do was wait for Microsoft to make another fucked up, ill-timed decision (like they appeared to have done again revealing their cards first; Sony will probably wait quite a while yet to officially reveal the PS5 retail model) and step forth with a more gamer-centric approach to reap the benefits. Of course, they had to also avoid putting their arrogant foot in their mouths in the process. If they manage to keep their noses to the grindstone instead of up in the air, they'll continue their dominance based on the currently set trend.

hanselthecaretaker:
It looks impressive, and could possibly be the best piece of hardware they put out due to what appears to be plenty of cooling capacity.

Nevertheless, games are what will sell it. Finding enough of them that?ll make people buy an X-SeX over PS5 is the problem, like this past gen. Hell, even the PS3 eventually pulled ahead due to top notch first party efforts and free online. Microsoft owes their initial 360 success to a head start and a good online infrastructure. The fact that they deliberately rushed a buggered console out the door to get the jump on Sony and still ended up paying for it down the road speaks for itself.

Closing out the seventh gen, all Sony had to do was wait for Microsoft to make another fucked up, ill-timed decision (like they appeared to have done again revealing their cards first; Sony will probably wait quite a while yet to officially reveal the PS5 retail model) and step forth with a more gamer-centric approach to reap the benefits. Of course, they had to also avoid putting their arrogant foot in their mouths in the process. If they manage to keep their noses to the grindstone instead of up in the air, they?ll continue their dominance based on the currently set trend.

Actually, for the most part, this is what is intriguing for me about XSeX.

Remember all the gaming companies that Microsoft acquired.

-Obsidian
-Ninja Theory
-Playground Games
-Undead Labs
-Compulsion Games
-Age of Empires
-The Coalition
-Double Fine
-Inxile
-Minecraft
-Turn 10
-Rare

Obsidian made near game of the year in Outer Worlds, and I can definitely see Microsoft deciding that its sequel can be an Xbox Exclusive. Suana's Saga is a follow up to a Burst out hit. Double Fine is a fabled producer. And on a personal note, I used to love the Age of Empire games from back in the day.

The list is Diverse enough that it should have something for say at least 65-70% of players. At that point on, it will be a feature list to compare. And who knows if they'll bring over their game pass for the console?

This production cycle, at least the Xbox didn't take themselves out of the running with their reveal.

ObsidianJones:
snip

Now we just have to wait and see if Microsoft will produce any games this time. The Xbone isn't a bad console just on its own. It was fated for being a shitheap for two reasons.

1. Obviously all the consumer bullshit when it was revealed, forced DRM, forced Kinnect, trying to abolish used games, etc.

Though through all of that trash, they could have recovered the generation if it weren't for....

2. Not making any exclusive games.

If you don't put system sellers on your console, then people wont buy your console. That's it, that's the end of story. And not only that but everything they did release for the most part was mediocre at best.

Quantum Break
Recore
Halo 5
Halo Wars 2
Crackdown 3
Sea of Thieves
Gears 4 and 5 (these are the best things on the system probably)
Forza 5
Forza 6
Forza Horizon 2 and 3 (these are also pretty good)

The stuff that did look awesome was cancelled. Remember Scalebound? That looked dope, but they cancelled the fuck outta that one. It must have been really really terrible if they cancelled Scalebound but still released Crackdown 3.

Now Sony didn't release a complete perfect library of exclusives. The Order 1886 was a shit game but it looked really really pretty. But they started the generation already on the best foot because Microsoft was busy breaking it's own kneecaps. However Sony also made good choices on further exclusives and that blew Microsoft away.

Microsoft tried to save face by making the decision to put everything on PC, effectively ruining any reason for buying their console. One could make the argument that Microsoft doesn't care about where you play the game so long as you bought it, but if that were true why would they keep trying to go forward with another generation of console? They want to sell consoles, and they want to be competitive in the market because that's what makes good business sense.

Personally Microsoft already fucked up. Their reveal of the XSeX should have come with serious games. Sure we saw a Senua's sequel which is fine. But that's a AA-game series at best and a very niche one.

Meanwhile Godfall is announced and simple teases Playstation 5 at the end.

We've seen the new Box, we know the controller, we know the system's performance aspirations, but we don't know if it will have a library.

With Sony we at least have a reasonable assurance that there will be a good exclusive library for the PS5, because they had a good library for PS1,2,3, and 4. We have the history with Sony to have reasonable faith that PS5 will be a worthy system.

We don't have that with Microsoft. Not anymore.

Microsoft initially got into the console market because they wanted to capture the consumer living room like they did their desktop. Sounds fine, but not when it's at the expense of their bread n butter. Every time they say the've got PC gaming's back it's a half truth at best and a disaster at worst.

CritialGaming:
Snip me? Oh, no. Snip You!

You bring up valiant points. And I know my counterpoint isn't based in science, so I won't call it as such.

The last Generation that was up for grabs was The Fifth Generation. People were laughing at the idea of Sony getting into the game, We haven't heard anything from Atari in years, Apple tried to step up, Bandai, 3D0, Casio... It was the wild west of any company trying to get into the mix to make a buck.

Then the Sixth Generation came. The pretenders were swept to the side. Sony was the only one that showed any staying power. And not only staying power, but show the ability to Dominate. We still speak of the PS2 in reverent tones. But then the Main Players came out. Sega, Nintendo... and one upstart in Xbox.

I actually thought Xbox would be Microsoft's Casio Loopy. No one I know wanted it. And the PS2 hit so hard that Sega never made another console afterwards.

But now we get to the easy thing to notice. Ever since the PS2, Microsoft and Sony has gone through a pendulum dance of stellar highs and unbelievable mistakes.

Sony thought with they could ride PS2 brand recognition to a 600 dollar console that seemed to get a lot of things wrong. Xbox 360, however, just gave us games and games and games. Even the red ring of death wasn't enough to keep Xbox 360 from winning the seventh generation.

Then Microsoft got so far up it's own ass that it couldn't tell light from Dark. They came out with a system so designed for the shareholders that even a generation later, I can't bring myself to ever want to touch the console. Let alone that every game I could ever want to play for it was on The PS4 or my laptop.

The PS4, however, honed the power of the exclusive. And then added VR into the mix.

I have no idea how the Pendulum will swing now. The only edge I can see for PS5 now is vr. Microsoft is seemingly only going for the Power Creep. Given that technically the Xbox One X is the most powerful console of this generation, I don't think that will be enough.

In fact, all Microsoft has going for it right now is it's new stable of developers. And given that it takes around 2.5 years to 3-4 years to make a triple A game, I am curious to see if that will be enough. Let us not forget, there are a slew of games that are exclusive to the PS4 that aren't game designers bought by Sony. All Microsoft did now is show that there WILL be exclusives for Microsoft. That brings intrigue. Can they make it into interest? Only time will tell.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.