As we near the end of the PS4, Xbone, and technically Wii-U era, what has been the best games?

The Switch is already been out for awhile, Xbox Series X has been announced, and PlayStation 5 is looming over the horizon.

So now the prior Console Generation is nearing its end, I like to ask what did you guys think was the best games to come out of this era?

Me I already have one, Resident Evil 7.

It has Graphics that live up to the "Next-Gen" Tech Demos shown like Deep Down, Agni's Philosophy, and Dark Sorcerer.

The Gameplay is reminiscent of the old school classic Resident Evil games but made with a modern standard.

And it blew away the Streaming Culture that singled that Capcom was back.

Other games in my list is Killer Instinct, Doom, Breath of the Wild, Total War Warhammer, and Smash Bros for bringing in characters I never thought possible like Ryu and Cloud.

I would list Witcher 3 but I have not fully played that game yet.

Pikmin 3 and The god damn Wonderful 101

In no order...

-Horizon Zero Dawn
-Dishonored 2 + Death of the Outsider
-The Last Guardian
-Disco Elysium
-Shadow Tactics
-Monster Hunter World
-Invisible Inc.
-Divinity Original Sins (I still need to finish them)
-probably Return of the Obra Dinn (when I finally get to it)

Best games in general? Hard to say. My personal favourites?

- Ys 8 Lacrimosa of Dana
- Astral Chain
- Breath of the Wild
- Monster Hunter World
- Hollow Knight

Honorable mentions:
- Gravity Rush 2
- Nier Automata
- Star Fox Zero

Phoenixmgs:
In no order...

-Horizon Zero Dawn
-Dishonored 2 + Death of the Outsider
-The Last Guardian
-Disco Elysium
-Shadow Tactics
-Monster Hunter World
-Invisible Inc.
-Divinity Original Sins (I still need to finish them)
-probably Return of the Obra Dinn (when I finally get to it)

That reminds me of one of the last games from this generation I really want to pick up yet. Hoping there's a good PS+ deal on it sometime soon.

Anyways, what I've played through based on no particular order other than the forefront of my recollection:

-Bloodborne- Lovecraftian horror with a thrilling twist on the Souls formula. Still probably my overall favorite of the broader series.

-Uncharted 4- Best sendoff and swan song for a series yet imo. The gameplay design has been iterated and improved upon to be better than ever. The feeling of being able to freely switch between various elements of stealth, melee, gunplay, platforming and how rapidly things can escalate between them all is thrilling. Using the grappling hook to swing out of a hairy firefight around a rock face and land a diving knockout punch from dozens of feet above a bad guy only makes me wish it were possible from the beginning of the series. Plus this was the first game of the generation that showed how much better things could look and play over the PS3's offerings.

-Horizon: Zero Dawn- GG spent years on just designing the machines and it shows. One of the most ambitious, unique and technically marvelous new IPs in existence. Wasn't crazy about the story, but it was told well overall especially towards the climax.

-Red Dead: Redemption 2- The closest we'll get to a Westworld type western fantasy for quite a while. I'm still reveling in the attention to detail and will be going back to it for years yet finding something new each time. The culmination of storylines between Arthur and John to set up the final fight was pitch perfect, and the music throughout was the icing on the cake. Pretty much the definition of a western epic that easily rivals films of the genre when all is said and done.

-God of War- It's kind of a miracle this game was made. Previously it was only a fleeting wish that Kratos would even be done justice as a fully fleshed out character vs a mostly two dimensional archetype. While it didn't quite feel as epic and God of War 3 in terms of spectacle, the rest of it was more spectacular than anything before it. While I missed the more action-focused combat of the earlier games, they were able to reinvent Kratos by making the perspective feel more personal. Now more grounded but still a formidable badass. I really hope we can keep the upgraded stats for any future games though, because starting over in these skill-tree types of games will feel like a kick in the teeth more than ever.

Haven't finished built hope to include them on the list:

-Dark Souls games 3- Not sure if it'll top Bloodborne yet, but definitely the most refined of the SoulsBorne games. Its biggest downside to me personally is that I've already been there, done that four times so it definitely doesn't have that fresh feeling anymore. Still hope it manages to hold my interest throughout and staves off any disappointments. Just hit level 39 in about as many hours played so far.

-The Witcher 3- It feels like they took the beta parts of the original and sequel and then made them better, but it's also almost too big. I just hope it doesn't end up feeling like a chore to get through. So far I'm liking the quests and loot hunting. I think I'm at level 12 now with about 3x as many hours in. I've been doing mostly random stuff before getting back into the main story threads, and it's stayed entertaining.

-Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice- I love the feel of the combat; the posture system has produced some of the most thrilling battles. It makes going back to the SoulsBorne stamina system feel almost hamstrung. The mobility is also a breath of fresh air, especially coupled with FROM's exceptional level design. I've beaten about a half dozen bosses but want to finish some other games before going back to eliminate those distractions.

-Kingdom Come: Deliverance- In terms of attention to detail it's almost like an equivalent to RDR2 for medieval times. The combat as well as crafting both feel extremely significant right down to the smallest of actions. Every encounter can be a threat and the amount of ways you can engage make for some very unique exchanges. About as much time into it as The Witcher 3, but likely won't get back to it until I finish that first. With as much detail as this game has it is best played in stretches as exclusively as possible.

I guess I'd have to give it to Breath of the Wild. It achieved something no other game of its kind ever has. It's a game I actually have a lot of little issues with, and one big issue being the awful plot related characters, but that flavour of open-world it presents you with is unlike any other and absolutely fantastic.

I'll also give a very sturdy nod to Horizon: Zero Dawn, since I really didn't expect much of that game. It's by a developer that by that point had only created first-person shooters that weren't even very good, and primarily seemed to focus on graphics. But HZD runs very well, plays excellent, looks gorgeous, and has fantastic giant monster combat reminiscent of Dragon's Dogma. The reason I couldn't get into Monster Hunter World is because I had already played HZD.

As for favourites..

God of War
Spider-Man
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
The Witcher 3
Hollow Knight
Yakuza
RE2 Remake

And probably some others that have escaped my mind. This generation has been pretty fucking sweet for me personally.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here