Favorite Downer or Bittersweet Endings in Video Games (obvious spoilers)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

You heard right. We know most games have happy endings, but there are many with bad, sad, or just straight up depressing ends. What's your favorite? Does not matter if the game is old or new.

Here are some of mine.

Radiant Silvergun & Ikaruga. You'd never expect a SHMUP to have a good story of all places. What's even better is that Ikaruga is a sequel to Silvergun. I did not know when first playing Ikaruga. Luckily, I found out thanks to the internet back in 2002. In Radiant Silvergun, the Earth is more or less fucked, even animal life is destroyed. In a fit of rage quit, the final boss, called the Stonelike being, sends you back to 100,000 BC and blows itself up trying take you with him. The two main characters survive thanks to their robot buddy cloning them (but with no memories of being from the future) and the robot goes dead before any of them wake up. They become the Adam & Eve, and the story implies that they're stuck in a Stable Time Loop and this happened many times before. Ikaruga's ending is in a timeline where both player characters (different people this time) are able to stop the Stonelike being by both sacrificing themselves. Treasure may use little dialogue in most of their games, but it's very effective and makes you think when you're having your ass kicked.

Killer7 - "Harman, the world won't change. All it does is turn." - Kun Lan.

Still Suda51's best work in terms of story and twists. Teenage me could not comprehend this at the time, and still blows my mind.

Ninja Warriors Arcade & SNES/SWITCH/PS4 - Who knew that after killing a dictator by self-destructing your robot ninjas that it would lead to a worse dictatorial government than the last guy. Taito tried to make us kids think, but majority of us took some of these lessons for granted. You would not expect an ending like that from an arcade beat-em up from 1987, nor an SNES game from 1994. He who fights monsters indeed. The revolution will not be civilized.

Probably Far Cry 5, 'cause shit's fucked. The canon 'Good' ending is the world is engulfed in Nuclear fire, half your friends died, and you live as a slave or sex slave to Joseph Seed, depending on gender. Bad endings are all manner of you dying, everyone dying, all your friends dying, or you killing all your friends, then becoming a willing servant/sex servant.

So...yeah.

Also 'Oh by the way we infiltrated the Nuclear facilities off screen without your knowledge' is a hell of an ass-pull in the 3rd act. Great game, great story and character, fucked the landing so hard it got pregnant and gave birth to New Dawn.

Drakengard. Giant baby fall from the sky and eat everything, then a giant pregnant women appear, so you and your dragon teleport to modern day japan to do a DDR fight against it. After killing her, jet plane shoot you down and you die. (There's a bunch of other ending, but that's the canon ending in the world of nier).

The canon drakengard ending is that you dragon sacrifice her live to become a seal that prevent the world from ending (the aforementioned giant man eating baby). But it turn out in the sequel that this causes her unspeakable pain, so the main character has to free to do then kill her (and then die along with her). This still start the whole "end of the world" things.

Mega Man 11:
Throughout the game, you see flashbacks to when Doctors Light and Wily were colleagues in university. Though Wily wanted to make the world a better place with his invention, especially for robots, Light protested Wily's avenue of research and he was forced to stop, which was what caused his initial fall into evil. With Wily bringing that invention back, Light has no choice but to use it on Mega Man as well, giving him a chance to fight back. When Wily is defeated, Light says that Mega Man is proof that Wily's invention can be used for good, and that Wily doesn't have to be evil... but Wily rejects Light's offer of friendship and leaves, swearing revenge. It's an unusually downbeat note for the series, and complements the more morally grey story.

--

Devil May Cry 3:
To defeat Arkham and prevent him from using Sparda's sword to take over the human realm, Dante and Vergil team up, only to immediately begin fighting each other over the aforementioned sword. After a vicious battle, Vergil is defeated. He tells Dante to escape from the Demon World while he still can, refusing to join him and throwing himself off a cliff. Though Dante attempts to rescue his brother, Vergil prevents him from doing so and falls into the abyss. Dante has shown moments of melancholy throughout this game's story, but his facade of bravado cracks completely in front of Lady as he claims that his tears are the rain, because "devils never cry". In the previous games, this line is spoken to Trish and Lucia to cheer them up, but this time, he uses it to describe himself, and in a much less uplifting way. However, Lady, who had previously wanted to kill Dante because he was a demon, offers her sympathy: "even a devil may cry when he loses a loved one".

MGS2 - the patriots were right

MGS3 - The Boss

What Remains of Edith Finch

TLOU

The Walking Dead (Season 1)

Shadow of the Colossus

The Last Guardian

Heavenly Sword

Digital Devil Saga 1. After all the hardships and sacrifices the promised land was just another hell.

I have to say One Shot, because even its best ending made me want to cry from how bittersweet it was.

Also Spec Ops: The Line, but I think everyone here already knows that one.

The Last of Us

I can't really think of another game where I had a bigger knot in my stomach by the end. Joel has become delusional and laid claim over Ellie like she's his comfy blanket, and Ellie's fear that everything has been for nothing has come to pass. And that final 'okay' signifies her accepting the sorry state of the world and of Joel. All thanks to Joel. And the game amplifies this by having you walk through a nice looking wooded area toward what will likely be a peaceful life in Tommy's town. All while Joel is optimistically comparing Ellie to Sarah, forcing his image of Sarah onto her by saying 'I think the two of you would've been good friends. I think you really would've liked her. I know she would've liked you.' And not forgetting the music which laces the whole scene with a sense of betrayal and distrust.

Spec Ops
Walking Dead
Tranistor, Bastion and Pyre
Life is Strange
Dishonored esp Death of the Outsider
Bioshock Infinite
Into the Breach because even if you win, you just have to go back
Various endings of Sunless Sea
Arkham City. Just hearing the police officer questioning 'what happened in there' was a gut punch
Hollow Knight
The real ending of Return of the Obra Dinn

Note that I'm only including games I've finished rather than watched. So no Mass Effect 3 or Walking Dead for instance.

-Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (sort of)

-Gears of War 2/3/5 (all manage it)

-Halo 3/Halo: Reach (as above)

-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (this)

-Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (all bitter, no sweet)

-Resident Evil: Outbreak (sort of...scrapes in, just like Infinite Warfare)

-Sonic Adventure 2 (course it's bittersweetness that's rendered null later, but meh)

-Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (see above)

Aw, these are the best endings. After having recently sat through the overly cheesy ending to Uncharted 2 where everybody speaking in movie cliche language just got too much at that point and closed my stone cold decaying heart off to it all with a particularly sudden intense bitterness towards the moment, can do with prying the organ back open again to something more real and relatable like spiralling despair.

trunkage:
Spec Ops
Walking Dead
Tranistor, Bastion and Pyre
Life is Strange
Dishonored esp Death of the Outsider
Bioshock Infinite
Into the Breach because even if you win, you just have to go back
Various endings of Sunless Sea
Arkham City. Just hearing the police officer questioning 'what happened in there' was a gut punch
Hollow Knight
The real ending of Return of the Obra Dinn

Of the only ones have played to completion, very much agree there, but do think season 2 of walking dead had its own emotional merits too. Still need to finish Hollow Knight, but am dead set on getting the fullest ending first run which might be contributing to the delay somewhat.

Have recently obtained Frostpunk, which have heard provides many a deflating ending, if that counts.
SOMA. The whole game is a downer ending trying to claw something bittersweet out of the void.
Last Guardian
Wolf Among Us
Unravel
Red dead 2, not quite the game's ending, but you know
Shenm...ahaha, half-assed joke, it's early

leet_x1337:
Mega Man 11:
Throughout the game, you see flashbacks to when Doctors Light and Wily were colleagues in university. Though Wily wanted to make the world a better place with his invention, especially for robots, Light protested Wily's avenue of research and he was forced to stop, which was what caused his initial fall into evil. With Wily bringing that invention back, Light has no choice but to use it on Mega Man as well, giving him a chance to fight back. When Wily is defeated, Light says that Mega Man is proof that Wily's invention can be used for good, and that Wily doesn't have to be evil... but Wily rejects Light's offer of friendship and leaves, swearing revenge. It's an unusually downbeat note for the series, and complements the more morally grey story.

--

Devil May Cry 3:
To defeat Arkham and prevent him from using Sparda's sword to take over the human realm, Dante and Vergil team up, only to immediately begin fighting each other over the aforementioned sword. After a vicious battle, Vergil is defeated. He tells Dante to escape from the Demon World while he still can, refusing to join him and throwing himself off a cliff. Though Dante attempts to rescue his brother, Vergil prevents him from doing so and falls into the abyss. Dante has shown moments of melancholy throughout this game's story, but his facade of bravado cracks completely in front of Lady as he claims that his tears are the rain, because "devils never cry". In the previous games, this line is spoken to Trish and Lucia to cheer them up, but this time, he uses it to describe himself, and in a much less uplifting way. However, Lady, who had previously wanted to kill Dante because he was a demon, offers her sympathy: "even a devil may cry when he loses a loved one".

Yes, an excellent ending for Devil May cry 3. I've talked about DMC enough times, so I figured somebody else will pick up on it. Still one of my favorite games, along with DMC5 now. Glad to see another fan.

Hawki:
Note that I'm only including games I've finished rather than watched. So no Mass Effect 3 or Walking Dead for instance.

-Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (sort of)

-Gears of War 2/3/5 (all manage it)

-Halo 3/Halo: Reach (as above)

-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (this)

-Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (all bitter, no sweet)

-Resident Evil: Outbreak (sort of...scrapes in, just like Infinite Warfare)

-Sonic Adventure 2 (course it's bittersweetness that's rendered null later, but meh)

-Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (see above)

Sonic adventure 2 still counts and works in my book. Especially when it was meant to be the swan song of the Sega Dreamcast. That ending piano song and the "Rest easy heroes", makes me tear up a little.

trunkage:

Ah yes, I forgot to list Arkham City. It felt like the perfect ending to BTAS.

Tenchu

Rikimaru just fucking dies, just like that, he gets crushed to death in a collapsing cave. The first time I think I played a game where the main character just bites it.

Also, Resident Evil 4, but that's all because of the end credits.

The Ico games pull off bittersweet the best. Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian.
Silent Hill 2's Leave and In Water endings go from bittersweet to depressing.
Spec Ops is more downer than "sweet".
BioShock: Infinite and The Last of Us have good downer endings. I think BioShock weighs some more because it toys with the hopefulness of a light adventure story at first. TLoU was depressing from the start. There was little to crush by the end.

The Witcher 3 - Ciri is Empress ending. It's a perfect bittersweet ending. Of the three big endings, it feels right more than even the Ciri witcheress ending. And it probably is, since you get it only if you do everything right + go to Vizima with Ciri after Kaer Morhen battle.

Silentpony:
Probably Far Cry 5, 'cause shit's fucked. The canon 'Good' ending is the world is engulfed in Nuclear fire, half your friends died, and you live as a slave or sex slave to Joseph Seed, depending on gender. Bad endings are all manner of you dying, everyone dying, all your friends dying, or you killing all your friends, then becoming a willing servant/sex servant.

So...yeah.

That sounds more like a downer ending than a bittersweet ending. 0_0

Casual Shinji:

Also, Resident Evil 4, but that's all because of the end credits.

You know, going through franchises, I'd expected Resident Evil to be on the list, but I had to struggle to come up with an entry. When you think about it, despite being a horror franchise, Resident Evil tends to have upbeat endings. RE3 arguably comes the closest out of the main installments (of the ones I've played at least) but even then while the news report on Raccoon City is sombre, Jill notably isn't.

As for RE4, I wouldn't call the credits bittersweet. I mean, there is bittersweetness in them, but the credits become more disturbing over time. While we can appreciate the context, the credits, to me, are more of a horror factor than a tragic one given how they're presented. Yet of the main installments I've played, it arguably IS the most bittersweet ending of the lot except for maybe RE3. This, despite being more action-heavy than its predecessors. 0_0

trunkage:

Bioshock Infinite

Johnny Novgorod:

BioShock: Infinite

Um, okay...

Infinite for me doesn't generate feelings of bittersweetness. Partly because by this time the game's disappeared up its own arse, but even within the arse, the ending pretty much stops everything bad in the story from happening. At least one Booker is left in existence, and potentially his daughter as well.

Hawki:

That sounds more like a downer ending than a bittersweet ending. 0_0

To be fair downer endings was a request.

Hawki:

Casual Shinji:

trunkage:

Bioshock Infinite

Johnny Novgorod:

Um, okay...

Infinite for me doesn't generate feelings of bittersweetness. Partly because by this time the game's disappeared up its own arse, but even within the arse, the ending pretty much stops everything bad in the story from happening. At least one Booker is left in existence, and potentially his daughter as well.

To be fair I think they mean in the DLC ending Elizabeth, the one from the main story, is tortured to death by Fontaine in Rapture

Hawki:

You know, going through franchises, I'd expected Resident Evil to be on the list, but I had to struggle to come up with an entry. When you think about it, despite being a horror franchise, Resident Evil tends to have upbeat endings. RE3 arguably comes the closest out of the main installments (of the ones I've played at least) but even then while the news report on Raccoon City is sombre, Jill notably isn't.

As for RE4, I wouldn't call the credits bittersweet. I mean, there is bittersweetness in them, but the credits become more disturbing over time. While we can appreciate the context, the credits, to me, are more of a horror factor than a tragic one given how they're presented. Yet of the main installments I've played, it arguably IS the most bittersweet ending of the lot except for maybe RE3. This, despite being more action-heavy than its predecessors. 0_0

trunkage:

Bioshock Infinite

Johnny Novgorod:

Um, okay...

Jill isn't exactly happy either. Granted, it depends on the ending, but she's happy to see Barry pick her and Carlos up in the best ending. She and Barry more or less acknowledge what happened to Raccoon City sucked. Barry's "it's time." sums it up. She's a bit more sombre in the standard ending, but I would be a little happy if an old friend save me and another person by chopper.

Resident Evil's bittersweet endings are either from the first RE where only Chris/Jill survive, but those count as bad endings. Steve dying in CV, but most fans won't see that as a bad thing, and the endings for both Revelations games. Rev2 does have good end and bad end, but even the good ending implies some form of Alex Wesker survived in Natalia. But the Revelation games are so convoluted in story and endings, that they might as well be non-canon, as all of the left hanging plot threads are never going to be mentioned in future RE titles. RE7 ditches the plot points and cliffhangers left from those games. RE6 implies that the conspiracy for Neo Umbrella still exists even with Simmons dead.Though once again, 7 seems to drop this in favor of Blue Umbrella. There is RE Gaiden where it's implied that Leon died and the one you've been playing as the entire time is the BOW, but that ending was received so terribly by everyone else, that Capcom declared it non-canon.

R-Type Command.

Both the endings in it are pretty bitter sweet. For the human one you end up beating the bydo fleet but it ends up grappling your flag ship and pulling it into the wiggling mass. Then with the byod campaign you play the same fleet, just as part of the bydo mass and are trying to get home, only to arrive to fierce opposition from the Space Corp's fleet and discovering that it is no longer your home. So the surviving forces retreat from earth while being harassed the full way out and losing many ships as they head for an uncertain future.

Dark Souls:

The whole game is fairly bittersweet, but the realization of what the game was about that hit me when I met the final boss was surprisingly visceral. The sudden realization that you are only perpetuating a cycle (or ending it, but most people don't get that the first time) that the last douche couldn't even pull off properly, and he was king shit of fuck mountain. It barely feels like a victory knowing that you're just setting up the world for failure.

EvilRoy:
Dark Souls:

The whole game is fairly bittersweet, but the realization of what the game was about that hit me when I met the final boss was surprisingly visceral. The sudden realization that you are only perpetuating a cycle (or ending it, but most people don't get that the first time) that the last douche couldn't even pull off properly, and he was king shit of fuck mountain. It barely feels like a victory knowing that you're just setting up the world for failure.

Well I mean Dark Souls lore. Its either all a joke, doesn't really happen, its all a cycle, nothing matters, time doesn't matter, everyone comes back from the dead, etc...its all nonsense.

CoCage:

Jill isn't exactly happy either. Granted, it depends on the ending, but she's happy to see Barry pick her and Carlos up in the best ending. She and Barry more or less acknowledge what happened to Raccoon City sucked. Barry's "it's time." sums it up. She's a bit more sombre in the standard ending, but I would be a little happy if an old friend save me and another person by chopper.

If that was the very last shot of RE3, it would probably count. If the very last shot was the news report, it would definitely count. However, neither of those are the final endings. What IS the ending is the credits which uses a tune that's slightly upbeat, slightly melencholy. And it's not the only RE game to do so - see the rock music that ends RE2 for instance.

Resident Evil's bittersweet endings are either from the first RE where only Chris/Jill survive, but those count as bad endings.

Hence why I didn't include them.

Steve dying in CV, but most fans won't see that as a bad thing,

Even if I didn't like Steve, his death could have a bittersweet ending. However, the ending of C: V is triumphant, with Chris and Claire flying off under the Antarctic sun with heroic music blaring.

and the endings for both Revelations games. Rev2 does have good end and bad end, but even the good ending implies some form of Alex Wesker survived in Natalia. But the Revelation games are so convoluted in story and endings, that they might as well be non-canon, as all of the left hanging plot threads are never going to be mentioned in future RE titles. RE7 ditches the plot points and cliffhangers left from those games. RE6 implies that the conspiracy for Neo Umbrella still exists even with Simmons dead.Though once again, 7 seems to drop this in favor of Blue Umbrella.

Can't comment on any of that I'm afraid - haven't played those installments.

There is RE Gaiden where it's implied that Leon died and the one you've been playing as the entire time is the BOW, but that ending was received so terribly by everyone else, that Capcom declared it non-canon.

Well, that, and I wouldn't call it bittersweet, more "to be continued?" Bittersweet might be if only Barry and Lucia survived and reflected on Leon dying...which I never considered to be the case anyway. My interpretation was that Leon was still alive and would turn up to confront the imposter or something. Course that never happened though, and in a break of form for me, I actually don't mind that.

Adding to the bittersweet list, Final Fantasy X.

Silentpony:

To be fair downer endings was a request.

...fuck!

Okay, downer endings. Not including "bad endings," I can nominate:

-Half-Life 2: Episode 2 (of course, the real downer was lack of continuation I guess, but whatever)

-Killzone 2 (you could argue that this is a "to be continued" ending, but I'd argue it fits "downer" as well because by the end of the game, thanks to Rico, every ISA grunt has now died for nothing)

-StarCraft: Brood War (the downer of all downers)

-Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (specifically the Arthas ending, not the Horde mini-campaign ending)

-Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War (though did that demon plot point ever get addressed?)

Hawki:

-Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War (though did that demon plot point ever get addressed?)

Didn't they deal with the daemon in the second DLC of Dawn of War 2? He corrupted one of your buddies

Hawki:

CoCage:

If that was the very last shot of RE3, it would probably count. If the very last shot was the news report, it would definitely count. However, neither of those are the final endings. What IS the ending is the credits which uses a tune that's slightly upbeat, slightly melencholy. And it's not the only RE game to do so - see the rock music that ends RE2 for instance.

Resident Evil's bittersweet endings are either from the first RE where only Chris/Jill survive, but those count as bad endings.

Hence why I didn't include them.

Steve dying in CV, but most fans won't see that as a bad thing,

Even if I didn't like Steve, his death could have a bittersweet ending. However, the ending of C: V is triumphant, with Chris and Claire flying off under the Antarctic sun with heroic music blaring.

and the endings for both Revelations games. Rev2 does have good end and bad end, but even the good ending implies some form of Alex Wesker survived in Natalia. But the Revelation games are so convoluted in story and endings, that they might as well be non-canon, as all of the left hanging plot threads are never going to be mentioned in future RE titles. RE7 ditches the plot points and cliffhangers left from those games. RE6 implies that the conspiracy for Neo Umbrella still exists even with Simmons dead.Though once again, 7 seems to drop this in favor of Blue Umbrella.

Can't comment on any of that I'm afraid - haven't played those installments.

There is RE Gaiden where it's implied that Leon died and the one you've been playing as the entire time is the BOW, but that ending was received so terribly by everyone else, that Capcom declared it non-canon.

Well, that, and I wouldn't call it bittersweet, more "to be continued?" Bittersweet might be if only Barry and Lucia survived and reflected on Leon dying...which I never considered to be the case anyway. My interpretation was that Leon was still alive and would turn up to confront the imposter or something. Course that never happened though, and in a break of form for me, I actually don't mind that.

Hard to consider Gaiden a "to be continued" when the ending implies Leon is dead. Yes, it's TBC for Barry and the little girl, but once again, even Capcom realized how dumb of an idea it was. This wasn't first time Capcom toyed with idea of killing off Leon. In Code Veronica, he was going to be partnered with Clair again, and he was supposed to die later in the story. Capcom and the writers realized how bad of an idea it was. Hence why Steve looks similar to Leon in the original release, albeit, younger and more bratty.

As far as the Revelation games, just play 2. When you get the good ending, just pretend the implied plot point of form of Alex Wesker surviving in Natalia. It's stupid and adds nothing to ever be followed up on. RE6, well...that's up to you. All I have to say is find a co-op partner to suffer with you.

leet_x1337:
Mega Man 11:

I liked that one too, but obviously we know Wily could never repent for real. That would end the series. Even if he ever did he'd still have to face jail time for all the destruction he's caused over 11 games plus the X series, all just to prove his superiority to Dr. Light. Even in the cartoony Megaman-verse, such a redemption without penance would likely leave a bad taste in many mouths.

Shadow Hearts: Covenant. This whole time Karin Koenig has been in a triangle with Alice, only to find out when she's sent back in time that she's actually destined to be Yuri's mother, Anne. Also some stuff in the next game doesn't suggest much in the way of good things happening to Yuri in the interim, but whatever. Bittersweet.

Final Fantasy X. Speaking of sacrifices... the cost of permanently expelling Sin is so crushingly high that not even Yuna would have paid it had she known. Still worth it, but that doesn't make it hurt any less. I don't think any other in the series comes close, except maybe Final Fantasy Tactics.

trunkage:

Hawki:

Didn't they deal with the daemon in the second DLC of Dawn of War 2? He corrupted one of your buddies

Not really. Kyras, Chapter master and chief librarian, was corrupted(by Khorne of all Gods?) and turned into a fuck-ton huge daemon prince and was hammered by Gabriel Angelos so hard he turned into a Forge world model. But its not specifically the same daemon from the puzzlebox Gabriel hammered in the first game.

Hawki:

-StarCraft: Brood War (the downer of all downers)

You wanted a downer from Starcraft, try Heart of the Swarm. We spend the entire Wings of Liberty campaign trying to un-Zerg Kerrigan, we succeed, Jim and her get together, and boom! Heart of the Swarm she volunteers to be re-Zerged again and completely breaks Jim and just turns out yeah she's the bad guy. Always was. Go fuck yourself happy ending.

This the Police Franchise is a long series of Downers fitting of a Eastern European Game

In the first one, Boyd fails at nearly everything. He fails to hold hisposition, he helped either a sleazy old crusty rapist of mayor keep his position or helped a faux progressive entrepeneur with plenty of skeletons in the closet and his wife had passed away months ago, leaving him with nothing

In the sequel, Jack is on the run and Lily, his deputy ends up being so incompetent that she struck a deal with corrupt colonel to bring down Jack as the relaionship between her and Jack break down. Ultimately Lily and a former close confidant of Jack is killed and Jack drops all premises of being a good cop

In Rebel Cops, everything the good honst cops of Ripton was for nothing when theyget ambushed by Jack and was killed and Jack takes over Ripton PD. Jake Duvall, the son of the man who was your backup in TiTP2 also dies in vain.

Silentpony:

trunkage:

Hawki:

Not really. Kyras, Chapter master and chief librarian, was corrupted(by Khorne of all Gods?) and turned into a fuck-ton huge daemon prince and was hammered by Gabriel Angelos so hard he turned into a Forge world model. But its not specifically the same daemon from the puzzlebox Gabriel hammered in the first game.

I totally thought that was the same daemon, and then the second DLC dealt with the corrupted, completing the circle. I clearly don't remember the villains well. But then, I'm prejudice. One daemon looks like the same as the rest to me.

Silentpony:

EvilRoy:
Dark Souls:

Well I mean Dark Souls lore. Its either all a joke, doesn't really happen, its all a cycle, nothing matters, time doesn't matter, everyone comes back from the dead, etc...its all nonsense.

I wouldn't say nonsense, I like it a lot but the world is already a lost cause so nothing is at stake. It's like the melancholy of a funeral dirge. If the question was ''which game is the most melancholical/romantic'' Dark Souls would take the cake by a country mile. Though, I'd say the third game is the epitome of this since it grinds both past, present and future into dust. It's at the same time sensitive for the implications and deliberately dispassionate in it's delivery. That really puts it in a league of it's own that is unmatched in popular culture.

Xenoblade II: Legend of Torna.

Technically the heroes do win but the ending immediately kicks every single one of them to the curb pretty hard. Some die, some are forever traumatized, some get corrupted and some get kidnapped and experimented upon.

Drawn To Life: The Next Chapter. That ending song gets me every time, it applies to me too well. It's also the only "It was all a dream" ending that I'm ok with because everything did actually happen, what's happening is meant to be tragic rather than a message of "Wake up and go back to the real world" like so many of these endings are.

stroopwafel:

Silentpony:

EvilRoy:
Dark Souls:

I wouldn't say nonsense, I like it a lot but the world is already a lost cause so nothing is at stake. It's like the melancholy of a funeral dirge. If the question was ''which game is the most melancholical/romantic'' Dark Souls would take the cake by a country mile. Though, I'd say the third game is the epitome of this since it grinds both past, present and future into dust. It's at the same time sensitive for the implications and deliberately dispassionate in it's delivery. That really puts it in a league of it's own that is unmatched in popular culture.

There is something sublime about how the games roll with "The end has come and there's nothing you can do about it". Even the cycles, which Dark Souls 2 added to the lore, Dark Souls 3 concluded that each cycle was only delaying the inevitable because the universe is truely spent and eventually entropy wins.

Which is somehow still less depressing then watching the news.

The Darkness. The writers and voice actors did a phenomenal job of bringing Jackie and Jenny's relationship to life, and this ending says SO much in such a simple. tender and moving way. It was the only time a game made me actually cry.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.