Capcom Celebrates One Year Anniversary of RE2 REmake...

With some stories.

Reminds me I still haven't finished it. Got kinda tired of wandering around that research(?) labyrinth under the police station. Still curious to see what happens though.

Yeah, I still need to finish it. I enjoyed the Police Station bit, but then the sewers annoyed me with unnecessary slime monsters and then I got to the Umbrella facility, wandered into the staff canteen and got eaten by way too many zombies. I think I may need to restart the game and be a bit more conservative with my ammo.

hanselthecaretaker:
With some stories.

Reminds me I still haven?t finished it. Got kinda tired of wandering around that research(?) labyrinth under the police station. Still curious to see what happens though.

Catfood220:
Yeah, I still need to finish it. I enjoyed the Police Station bit, but then the sewers annoyed me with unnecessary slime monsters and then I got to the Umbrella facility, wandered into the staff canteen and got eaten by way too many zombies. I think I may need to restart the game and be a bit more conservative with my ammo.

What are two waiting for? Hurry up before it gets to April. Let me know if you need any advice. I will help the best I can.

Congratulations, Capcom! After RE3Remake, will you please get started on RE8. No more needs for remaking the other RE games. I know some people want Code Veronica, but I can deal without it.

Congrats to Capcom. This game is a masterpiece.

RE2make is a good game and I think Capcom has did well these last few years, so yeah, no harm in a little celebration.

RE7, RE2make, Mega Man 11, DMCV and Monster Hunter World. Didn't play all of them, but by all accounts, they're well-regarded by fans and critics, and commercially successful enough to apparently earn Capcom record profits two years running. Especially MHW aka Capcom's biggest seller ever by a wide margin. Ok, opinions on SFV and MvC Infinite don't seem as unanimously positive, but still.

Huh, a major publisher making big bucks these days by releasing quality games. Who saw that coming?

Chimpzy:
RE2make is a good game and I think Capcom has did well these last few years, so yeah, no harm in a little celebration.

RE7, RE2make, Mega Man 11, DMCV and Monster Hunter World. Didn't play all of them, but by all accounts, they're well-regarded by fans and critics, and commercially successful enough to apparently earn Capcom record profits two years running. Especially MHW aka Capcom's biggest seller ever by a wide margin. Ok, opinions on SFV and MvC Infinite don't seem as unanimously positive, but still.

Huh, a major publisher making big bucks these days by releasing quality games. Who saw that coming?

Yeah, unlike previous decade they don't try so hard anymore to 'cater' to the western market by having western developers touch their IPs or wanting to be like Call of Duty or some other popular game. Turns out if you make quality games without a checklist in mind people will actually buy them. And in the predominantly western market. Who would have thought? Their biggest seller in the west actually couldn't have possibly been more Japanese.

Chimpzy:

Street Fighter V on release was bad, but Capcom worked their butts off to make it arguably equal to their past best games via the updates.

Infinite was a shit show though. But I don't know whether its gameplay or brand restrictions because there was no X-men in MvC infinite.

One year? It's not on life-support, Capcom; the time would've passed just fine without it going anywhere.

stroopwafel:

Chimpzy:

Yeah, unlike previous decade they don't try so hard anymore to 'cater' to the western market by having western developers touch their IPs or wanting to be like Call of Duty or some other popular game. Turns out if you make quality games without a checklist in mind people will actually buy them. And in the predominantly western market. Who would have thought? Their biggest seller in the west actually couldn't have possibly been more Japanese.

I tried telling some users this on the forum about Capcom trying to be more COD-like/Western/dark and edgier with the evidence to back it up, and they still did not get my point or acted like it was not big deal. Or worse, say I'd lacked evidence despite it being 100% there. Glad to see someone else gets it. Capcom actually acting like their old selves for the most part. They still cater and have focus on the Western market (see DMC and the recent REs), but realized: "Hey we're a Japanese video game company, not a Western publisher or developer. And we should not be ashamed of our Japanese roots. " That was the major problem with most major Japanese publishers and developers in the 7th gen. Not helping matter where "professional game critics" had a huge backlash to almost anything Japanese starting around 2011. Claiming Japanese games were "out of touch with times", "too old fashioned", or "too inclusive" with whole bunch of other petty bullshit.

CoCage:
I tried telling some users this on the forum about Capcom trying to be more COD-like/Western/dark and edgier with the evidence to back it up, and they still did not get my point or acted like it was not big deal. Or worse, say I'd lacked evidence despite it being 100% there. Glad to see someone else gets it. Capcom actually acting like their old selves for the most part. They still cater and have focus on the Western market (see DMC and the recent REs), but realized: "Hey we're a Japanese video game company, not a Western publisher or developer. And we should not be ashamed of our Japanese roots. " That was the major problem with most major Japanese publishers and developers in the 7th gen. Not helping matter where "professional game critics" had a huge backlash to almost anything Japanese starting around 2011. Claiming Japanese games were "out of touch with times", "too old fashioned", or "too inclusive" with whole bunch of other petty bullshit.

On one hand, sometimes those critics, professional or otherwise, do have valid points, and Japanese devs/pubs should definitely not rest on their laurels, but try new things. On the other hand I don't think whatever (perceived) problem with lack of innovation Japanese devs/pubs may have can be really fixed by being more like Western devs/pubs. After all, there's already about half a dozen major Western publishers doing just that, all of whom are far more experienced at it. You'd just risk becoming on more on the pile, while there is style a market for the kind of games Japanese devs are best at, meaning there's also still money to be made, even if it might not be COD/GTA/Fortnite levels of cash.

Chimpzy:

CoCage:

On one hand, sometimes those critics, professional or otherwise, do have valid points, and Japanese devs/pubs should definitely not rest on their laurels, but try new things. On the other hand I don't think whatever (perceived) problem with lack of innovation Japanese devs/pubs may have can be really fixed by being more like Western devs/pubs. After all, there's already about half a dozen major Western publishers doing just that, all of whom are far more experienced at it. You'd just risk becoming on more on the pile, while there is style a market for the kind of games Japanese devs are best at, meaning there's also still money to be made, even if it might not be COD/GTA/Fortnite levels of cash.

That's the exact point I am making. I'm not saying they should rest on their laurels and it's nice to do something different and new for a change. But copying others when you're not going to stand out and be part of the same sea of grey goo that's forgotten about, does not end well. The problem with the majority of the critics was that they were really hypocritical with their argument. They claim that's Japanese publishers are being too inclusive, yet at the same time for most of the seventh generation, they either ignores Western publishers or developers who did the same thing, or outright enabled or supported them. They're arguments mostly boiled down to be more like us Westerners cuz we're more "progressive" or I hate anything Japanese/Anime/fan-service. Nothing more than tribal bullshit.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here