Gaming Hardware/concepts fails of 2010s

Pages PREV 1 2

Meiam:
How about the wii U? Maybe wasn't the massive fail that was the Ouya, but definitely a step down from the wii. I heard the switch already outsold the wii U.

Can we throw in occulus/VR yet, or do we need to wait a few more years for that?

Motion control failling wasn't much of a surprise, everyone jump on the bandwagon thinking the wii open the way to a new market, but it was just a gimmick that caught on. Outside of wii sports, nobody really seem to give a crap about the motion control in general.

I just bought a Quest, so I'm probably pretty biased here, but honestly I'm really impressed with the technology and given three major competitors in the market (Steam, Sony, Facebook) I think things are gonna keep getting better. I originally thought the concept of VR was incredibly stupid for a person to own at home - who has a room with 2x2m dead space and options to wire up a a bunch of sensor pylons with total LOS? Makes sense for an arcade to have one, and you could probably wire up some interesting digital escape rooms with them, but when compared to the minimal space needed for any other console its a tough sell. On top of that the first run were just screens you plugged into your computer. Neat idea, but not being able to see my keyboard in a complex game or having 360 vision but being stuck sitting down didn't seem that great.

The thing I bought requires no pylons, has full range of movement (including walking around when I play in an area with room for it), is portable with no wires or special setup, and has functionality coming for controllerless play (it 'sees' you hands instead) and linking to a computer for higher graphics intensity games.

From the perspective of a guy who went from thinking VR was an overpriced monitor or a novelty for struggling arcades, this thing is a spaceflight beyond my expectations. The library of games for the Quest could absolutely be larger, and the promise of PC connectivity is the only reason I accepted that, but those games that do exist are reasonably high quality and in a number of cases are things that I enjoy replaying. The downside that runs me up a wall is the shortness of many of the games. I really hope that changes, but as of now barring games with intentionally infinite replayability (rhythm and so on) most of the games are way too short and often feature limited gameplay.

Avnger:

The switch hasn't just "outsold" the Wii U though. The Wii U has had it's total lifetimes sales tripled by all three of the current gen consoles. Hell, one has to go back to 1998 and the Dreamcast (the console that notoriously sunk Sega as a platform manufacturer) to find a home console that sold as poorly. It literally has sales numbers closer to the NES Classic and Super NES Classic ROM-bundle machines than the next highest selling console (the Gamecube which is also acknowledged as having a lackluster performance yet still sold almost twice as many consoles).

Yeah, but that's not the standard Meiam used, and the specific standard used was the point of contention.

I think Stadia would take the honors here. Serves as a good reminder that this streaming bs is still way ahead of its time, if ever. Not something that can just be forced into existence and mass adoption. Have to fix the country's infrastructure first, let alone making it cheap(er than physical ownership at least) and reliable.

Silvanus:

Avnger:

The switch hasn't just "outsold" the Wii U though. The Wii U has had it's total lifetimes sales tripled by all three of the current gen consoles. Hell, one has to go back to 1998 and the Dreamcast (the console that notoriously sunk Sega as a platform manufacturer) to find a home console that sold as poorly. It literally has sales numbers closer to the NES Classic and Super NES Classic ROM-bundle machines than the next highest selling console (the Gamecube which is also acknowledged as having a lackluster performance yet still sold almost twice as many consoles).

Yeah, but that's not the standard Meiam used, and the specific standard used was the point of contention.

Yoshi knew full well that it was a comment on the Wii U's abysmal sales rather than just a simple "console X outselling console Y".

Silvanus:

Avnger:

Meiam wasn't setting any standards. Their post wasn't a logical proof; it simply made a one-off comparison as part of the larger point that "Wii U = failure."

bluegate:
Yoshi knew full well that it was a comment on the Wii U's abysmal sales rather than just a simple "console X outselling console Y".

Avnger:

Meiam wasn't setting any standards. They're post wasn't a logical proof; it simply made a one-off comparison as part of the larger point that "Wii U = failure."

Meiam mentioned how the Switch has already outsold the Wii U.

am i not allowed to add a comment on the other things the Switch has also outsold now? :3

Yoshi178:

bluegate:

Avnger:

Meiam wasn't setting any standards. They're post wasn't a logical proof; it simply made a one-off comparison as part of the larger point that "Wii U = failure."

Meiam mentioned how the Switch has already outsold the Wii U.

am i not allowed to add a comment on the other things the Switch has also outsold now? :3

I truly believe you're smarter than this.

Avnger:

I truly believe you're smarter than this.

that's a bit rich coming from the same guy who told me to check and update my numbers despite not doing the proper number checks himself...

I know I'm going to regret it, but eh, you're fighting over figures from Vgchartz, which is not the most reliable source. Their numbers are extrapolated from retail data, or in other words, rough estimates. They're useful as an indication for where sales figures are at, but I wouldn't use them for proof of fact.

Anyway, I am ready to meet my ancestors. You may do your worst.

Chimpzy:
I know I'm going to regret it, but eh, you're fighting over figures from Vgchartz, which is not the most reliable source. Their numbers are extrapolated from retail data, or in other words, rough estimates. They're useful as an indication for where sales figures are at, but I wouldn't use them for proof of fact.

Anyway, I am ready to meet my ancestors. You may do your worst.

that's fine. Nintendo's next NPD financial report will only solidfy things further and probably show higher sales than what VGchartz currently estimates anyway.

Okay, are we done with the dick/clit measuring contest? Good.

Back on topic, remember how much Kinect sucked? The only good Kinect game is Child of Eden. Luckily, it can be played with controller.

Avnger:

Meiam wasn't setting any standards. Their post wasn't a logical proof; it simply made a one-off comparison as part of the larger point that "Wii U = failure."

You make a comparison, you require a standard. Any comparison contains one by necessity.

bluegate:

Then say that instead. But if that's not said, then pointing out the flaw in what was said is valid, and certainly doesn't warrant the dogpiling Yoshi tends to get.

CoCage:

Back on topic, remember how much Kinect sucked? The only good Kinect game is Child of Eden. Luckily, it can be played with controller.

That kinda defeats the purpose of being a Kinect game, isn't it? (specially because the Kinect is an accessory; and if it isn't required, does it even make it a Kinect game?)

CaitSeith:

CoCage:

That kinda defeats the purpose of being a Kinect game, isn't it? (specially because the Kinect is an accessory; and if it isn't required, does it even make it a Kinect game?)

Yes, it's a Kinect game. Regardless it's required or not. Child of Eden was packaged with the Xbox 360 at the time and the Kinect as a bundle. So it sure as hell counts. Child of Eden is from the same team that did Rez (Child of Eden's spiritual predecessor), Lumines, & Meteos, so you know it's going be fucking awesome. Like I said, it's one of the few times where the Kinect actually worked. What probably helps is that the game is a rail shooter, and they took time to develop it and not rush out the fucking door.

I know that the Stadia failure gets all the glory today, but i would like to remind people of the Steam machine, another adventure od a big and well known software company to try to establish a new hardware line.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html
Here you go Chimp. The Switch has now sold 52.48 million hardware units as of the 31st of December 2019

Are these figures official enough for you?

Yoshi178:
Here you go Chimp. The Switch has now sold 52.48 million hardware units as of the 31st of December 2019

Coincidentally, I came to post these numbers too. And yes, they're good. Notably about 1,5 mil off from Vgchartz estimates. Similar numbers for Xbox One would be nice to know, but unfortunately Microsoft no longer discloses individual platform sales in their fiscal reports. Unlikely to surpass Switch tho, or that it ever will now that a successor closing.

Anyway, SNES officially overtaken. Next goalpost: NES. Seems quite achievable.

Chimpzy:

Yoshi178:

Coincidentally, I came to post these numbers too. And yes, they're good. Notably about 1,5 mil off from Vgchartz estimates. Similar numbers for Xbox One would be nice to know, but unfortunately Microsoft no longer discloses individual platform sales in their fiscal reports. Unlikely to surpass Switch tho, or that it ever will now that a successor closing.

Gamexplain also points out that even older Switch titles like Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2 and Zelda BOTW sold more copiess in 2019 than they did in 2018 so the sales aren't even slowing down for older software which is surprising

Chimpzy:

Yoshi178:

LOL, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii-U are all failures.

This how this works, Trollshi?

Silvanus:

bluegate:

Then say that instead. But if that's not said, then pointing out the flaw in what was said is valid, and certainly doesn't warrant the dogpiling Yoshi tends to get.

I'd be more sympathetic if their first response to even the slightest negative thing mentioned about Nintendo wouldn't almost always be a deflection onto other companies.

bluegate:
I'd be more sympathetic if their first response to even the slightest negative thing mentioned about Nintendo wouldn't almost always be a deflection onto other companies.

oh bullshit.

even if i make my own thread with positive news about a Nintendo system and/or game then that thread would always just become another dumping ground for you and the other escapist members to spread your negative shit about Nintendo around.

and hell i don't even have to make a thread or comment in a thread in order for escapist members to have a go at me, like in that DOOM thread for example.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here