So.... Baldur's Gate 3 gameplay reveal

In case you have missed the news, LArian Studios revealed the gameplay for their upcoming game, Baldur's Gate 3 at PAX East On Thursday; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9hU6UJX_pc&t=32s

Now the world set up and the design looks amazing, and the gameplay looks satisfying. But I can't help but feel that the combat is more or less the same version we've seen in Divinity 2. Having never played either of the first two games, I guess I didn't know what I was expecting.

Thoughts?

Looks pretty good, I like how they're using DnD5e as the ruleset. That should definitely cut down on the amount of loot/item management in the game alone. The only thing I'm wondering is how much systemic elements there will be like how in Divinity the elements interact with each other. The game looks very much like Larian's take on DnD with a whole bunch of very DnD stuff in the game like Mage Hand and throwing boots at enemies, there seems a lot of out-of-box thinking allowed just like DnD.

It looks more expansive than divinity 1's combat in terms of how many option you have. The lack of grid based movement is interesting. I didn't get very far in that game because the tone didn't mesh for me but the intro cinematic really piqued my interest and I know jack about DnD.

I have a feeling the combat will LOOK like Divinity but won't play like it at all given the 5e ruleset. That is to say, the way the UI is built and how you command your characters will feel very familiar but the tactical decision making will be completely different.

It looks like it is actually turn based combat. I'm in. That's really all I wanted in a BG3... just that it wouldn't go with a crappy action/rpg hybrid combat system. I'll check this out, although I always preferred Icewind Dale, it was a more pure tabletop-like RPG experience. Fingers crossed for another Icewind Dale title.

Fappy:
I have a feeling the combat will LOOK like Divinity but won't play like it at all given the 5e ruleset. That is to say, the way the UI is built and how you command your characters will feel very familiar but the tactical decision making will be completely different.

Pretty much what I'm expecting out of it. Plus, DnD doesn't have near the needless loot and inventory management the Divinity games have.

Yeah I can't stand real time RPG, the fight just end up dissolving either into cluster fuck or you just tend to exploit the poor AI by funneling enemy into choke point. Glad they're doing it turn based. I still don't understand why pathfinder kingmaker went with real time combat when they straight up lifted the rule straight from pathfinder, to the point where some of the tooltips are actually written like the game is turn based when it's not.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.