Upcoming video game docos, and your opinions of them.

Anyone remember King of Kong? Atari: Game Over? Indie Game: The Movie?

I have to admit- while I'd heard of them, I've never actually seen them. And yet, there seems to be a fair bit of renewed activity with video game documentaries- two have already been announced coming out this year. We've got ones about Tony Hawk coming out:

as well as Goldeneye:

As gamers, do you hunt down video game docos? Watch them if they come on, avoid them, or something inbetween? I'm not really sure how I feel about them in general, to be honest. Seeing the gameplay footage just makes we want to play the game instead, though if there's an interesting story behind the development I suppose it could be worth a watch.

What's your take on docos about video games?

Maybe I'm showing my age, but wtF is a 'doco'?(!)

SckizoBoy:

I think it's a cutesy term for documentary.

OT: I'd rather read a book than watch a "doco".

Not really. Most game documentaries I don't care for, and the King of Kong has aged horribly. Ever since Billy was outed due to cheating, it makes the film even more pointless and dead weight.

SupahEwok:

SckizoBoy:

I think it's a cutesy term for documentary.

OT: I'd rather read a book than watch a "doco".

I've heard docus, never heard docos before. Reminds me of ell pollo loco.

I still like one they had on netflix at one point called VIdeo Games: The movie. ANd it has a glorious GMV with various video games and Queen's Don't Stop Me.

I remember King of Kong! Still the best though a bit dated now.

I like VG docs, but they are rather obscure and hidden when they should be promoted a bit more, even if they're just on YouTube. I'm on a Red Dead 2 kick so here's the first of a 5 part nature documentary collection that Rockstar themselves promoted.

It would really be cool to see the behind the scenes guts of what went into development though for such a massive game.

CoCage:
Not really. Most game documentaries I don't care for, and the King of Kong has aged horribly. Ever since Billy was outed due to cheating, it makes the film even more pointless and dead weight.

Wasn't there a competing doco that started near the same time but actually covered Billy's cheating as well?

Either way, I see King of Kong as a time capsule, to see what life used to be like

trunkage:

CoCage:

Wasn't there a competing doco that started near the same time but actually covered Billy's cheating as well?

Either way, I see King of Kong as a time capsule, to see what life used to be like

Is 'Chasing Ghosts: Beyond The Arcade' the one that you're talking about?

trunkage:

CoCage:

If there is, it does not matter now. His ass is grass. Whatever the new doc tells me I can find with a simple yahoo/google search.

Squilookle:

trunkage:

CoCage:

Is 'Chasing Ghosts: Beyond The Arcade' the one that you're talking about?

Speak of the devil and he shall appear. Still no interests.

There are some gems. I really like this one, a dissection of Pathologic 2 by an actual doctor.

And here's another one that just got announced, about that LAN ceiling duct-taped kid.

Now I can understand a doco about a single game, or a genre or movement that shaped the industry or whatever, but this one in particular seems to be just spreading the butter too thin. How long does this film run for? I can't imagine people being able to talk about a single photo for 90+ minutes.

Bold move with the Star Wars audio though. Think Disney's about to come down on them like a ton of bricks?

I've only seen Gameplay: The History of the Videogame Revolution. It's basically everything you know about the history of games if you have a passing interest on the subject: Pong, Atari, the crash, the lawsuits, the Nintendo vs Sega power vacuum, downfall of arcade, rise of home consoles & PC, Doom, ESRB, 3D, PlayStation, the online world, etc. It doesn't go very deep on anything but it was entertaining enough.

Johnny Novgorod:
I've only seen Gameplay: The History of the Videogame Revolution. It's basically everything you know about the history of games if you have a passing interest on the subject: Pong, Atari, the crash, the lawsuits, the Nintendo vs Sega power vacuum, downfall of arcade, rise of home consoles & PC, Doom, ESRB, 3D, PlayStation, the online world, etc. It doesn't go very deep on anything but it was entertaining enough.

Thing is though, would you be likely to watch any of the documentaries shown above? It'd be interesting to gauge how many gamers cross-over with documentary watchers, after all.

Squilookle:

Johnny Novgorod:

Thing is though, would you be likely to watch any of the documentaries shown above? It'd be interesting to gauge how many gamers cross-over with documentary watchers, after all.

The documentaries you brought up specifically, no. But I don't care about Tony Hawk or GoldenEye.

Johnny Novgorod:

Squilookle:

Johnny Novgorod:

The documentaries you brought up specifically, no. But I don't care about Tony Hawk or GoldenEye.

Yeah- that's fair enough.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.