Final Fantasy 7 Remake Demo - It's here! This is not a Drill!!!!! Also Impressions

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Normally I hate Monday's, the weekend is over and I have to be up at 4am to go to work.

Today.....I woke up and twitter was screaming at me about a very special game. I jumped up at 3:30, started the download, and played it.

This Monday has started off pretty damn good.

After the Demo originally leaked on December 31st, we thought it was going to drop any day. By "we" I mean of course people who give a shit about the Remake. But when the leaks of huge sections of the game started coming out, we also feared that Square would just ignore the demo and decide to not drop it ever. Since then there have been constant rumors about when it could possibly drop.

Gamespot.com ironically had to take down an article about the Remake that stated the Demo would release on March 3rd. Turns out, they were pretty close, even if it was on accident. Especially considering at the time the article was before the release delay of the full game. So we all assumed that the March 3rd date for the demo was them getting the demo and the full game release date mixed up.

Nevermind all that bullshit though, because it's March 2nd and the Demo is OUT.

I played it. It's good as fuck. That's all.

Okay I'm not stopping there, obviously. But I have a problem in that I'm a bit unsure of how to begin this Impressions post. So let me say this up front. I am incredibly Bias towards this game. Honestly it could be a steaming pile of shit and I would still eat every last crumb of this thing. So please take that into consideration when reading this and when you ultimately see the post on the full game I'll be making in April.

So let's start with combat. In the other News thread, people have been concerned about the combat. For me, the combat is great. It looks great, it feels great, and surprisingly enough....It's kind of hard. There is a lot to manage even at the start of the game which is kind of crazy.

Every character has two attack modes which toggle with Triangle and these affect what your basic Square button attacks do. Cloud for example can run around fast and swing is weapon in sweeping slow combos, but pressing Triangle changes Cloud to punisher mode which makes him move slow but drastically speeds up his weapon swings and deals more damage. These modes serve two purposes based on what the enemies are doing.

The basic attacks serve to primarily build up ATB charges, of which each character can store up to two of them. You use ATB charges to do special attacks, use items, or cast magic, and in combat you can't do any of those things if you dont have the meter. If you find your characters at low health with no ATB, you can't heal until someone builds at least 1 charge of meter to use a potion or other healing ability.

Special attacks don't automatically hit either. So don't think you can just spam attack and then spend meter and automatically win. No no, if you activate a special attacklike Braver, and the enemy moves out of the way...you miss. Positioning Matters! Which is why the basic attacks and combos are important because you can use these to build up a stagger meter on the enemy and slow them down so that your skills don't miss.

A lot of the enemies require tactics too. The Scorpion boss we've all seen in the E3 trailer, and various demo footage all over the place, has multiple body parts you can attack. You can beat down it's legs and make it collapse to the ground for a short period of time. It has a shield that protects it from all damage except the core in it's butthole, so you have to position both characters around the back to hit that part. Meanwhile the scorpion jumps around making that a much harder task than it sounds.

Speaking of difficulty, the demo only has Normal difficulty available and it's kind of hard. With so much to look at and manage, your characters can get beaten down into yellow or red health without you even realizing it. And if you get caught in a healing loop, you can find yourself on the back foot of combat situations pretty quickly.

Between managing your basic attacks, your atlernate battle modes (triangle), dodging, blocking, using the ATB meter for skills or magic, and doing this for two or even three characters later. It actually is quite a lot to get a hold of. With practice, and used to menu and shortcut navigation I'm sure it will get easier, but for the first few hours you are going to trip up for sure. I knew about the combat systems based on my study of the trailers, but getting your hands on it for the first time is a totally different experience.

However I will say that combat feels great, Cloud's sword feels heavy and it fucks dudes up, Barretts gun has power and weight behind it's shots, the skills feel impactful and powerful. It's very very responsive, things happen exactly when I want them to happen. So overall the game feels great.

There are a couple of issues with the camera, in that during combos that push the enemies backwards, you can accidentally push into a corner that makes the camera move behind clutter or something, but it's very fast and not super annoying, it is noticable though.

The music is incredible, the voice acting is actually pretty good. i know Voice Over is a sensitive subject for people, and there are some who just hate dubbed stuff, but I feel like the performances here are really great. The demo has a lot of character to it too. There is more chatter with the small characters of AVALANCHE, Biggs, Jesse, and Wedge, where you are given a bigger picture to who they are and what their goals are. It's really great because in the Original game they are very much throw away characters (literally). And even though they are expanded upon here, none of the expansion goes against what you think their characteristics and personalities would be. I really really like that, it's just more characters to love.

The environments look great, the reactor is detailed and there are lots of flushed out scenes that interconnect the reactor very well. They've done a good job filling in the gaps from the original game in ways that make sense and don't feel jarring or even padded. There are chests to find, and boxes to break that refill small bits of HP and MP, and even though the path is linear, there are enough little side spots that have a chest or whatever in them to make it feel like a real place.

Bottom line is....I love it. I fucking love it. I mean beyond my fandom and most of my bias. I love this game, and i think it only gets better from here. More abilities, more magic, more party members, I can't wait for more. And I'll probably play the shit out of the demo for the next few weeks.

I'll probably check it out, but really have no business adding another game to my plate even if it is just a demo. Because this is probably a pretty huge demo as it is.

But it's the FF'nF7 Remake, so it's a fairly reasonable concession to make.

hanselthecaretaker:
I?ll probably check it out, but really have no business adding another game to my plate even if it is just a demo. Because this is probably a pretty huge demo as it is.

It's about an hour long.

CritialGaming:

hanselthecaretaker:
I?ll probably check it out, but really have no business adding another game to my plate even if it is just a demo. Because this is probably a pretty huge demo as it is.

It's about an hour long.

Sweet, I'll do a few dailies in RDR2 Online while it downloads and hop on over to Midgar for some beautiful nostalgia.

hanselthecaretaker:

CritialGaming:

hanselthecaretaker:

It's about an hour long.

Sweet, I?ll do a few dailies in RDR2 Online while it downloads and hop on over to Midgar for some beautiful nostalgia.

Return here and tell me what you think of the game once you get through it.

CritialGaming:

hanselthecaretaker:

CritialGaming:

It's about an hour long.

Sweet, I'll do a few dailies in RDR2 Online while it downloads and hop on over to Midgar for some beautiful nostalgia.

Return here and tell me what you think of the game once you get through it.

Will do! I'm really curious about how this plays. Can't wait to see what a flood of memories it will bring back from over two decades ago.

Hows the combat compared to FF15? Do you get to play with materia/character customization (in game play term).

I do like that they're expanding on the avalanche crew, always liked them and its a shame they aren't in the game more.

Meiam:
Hows the combat compared to FF15? Do you get to play with materia/character customization (in game play term).

I do like that they're expanding on the avalanche crew, always liked them and its a shame they aren't in the game more.

It is far and away more complicated and involved than 15. You have to actively attack, often switching character to ensure they fill enough ATB for you to use when you need it. You have to watch the enemies to block or dodge attacks, you have to watch ATB gauges, you have to watch your HP, you have to watch positioning because you attacks will miss if you dont aim properly, and much more.

It's kind of overwhelming combat at first.

You can customise materia and equipment and such, but that isn't in the demo. It's just the first mission basically.

So basically just the demo that was leaked and already viewed by the entire world literally a month ago.

k...

Yoshi178:
So basically just the demo that was leaked and already viewed by the entire world literally a month ago.

k...

Do you always have to shit on every thread you join?

CritialGaming:

Yoshi178:

k...

i'm sure the gameplay is fine.
still doesn't change the fact that we've already seen this exact demo.

Yoshi178:

CritialGaming:

Yoshi178:

k...

Seen does not equal playing. It's a much difference experience to get your hands on it.

You have a PS4 right? Go give it a try, it's free and only 45-60 minutes long.

CritialGaming:

Yoshi178:

CritialGaming:

Seen does not equal playing. It's a much difference experience to get your hands on it.

i already downloaded it last night.

cbf playing it until the weekend when i'm not working. Besides i don't care about FF enough to explode in hype over it.

Yoshi178:

CritialGaming:

Yoshi178:

cbf playing it until the weekend when i'm not working. Besides i don't care about FF enough to explode in hype over it.

You don't need to be so dismissive...
There is a reason people go out of their way to bait and tease you and it isn't because you like Nintendo.

Do you get anything in the main game for beating the demo? Also does it have dual audio?

I tend to skip demos of stuff I'll get 100% anyways because it feels bad to stop after only a little bit and it kinda spoils story stuff imo so I'll prolly skip this and be patient.

Dreiko:
Do you get anything in the main game for beating the demo? Also does it have dual audio?

I tend to skip demos of stuff I'll get 100% anyways because it feels bad to stop after only a little bit and it kinda spoils story stuff imo so I'll prolly skip this and be patient.

You get a theme for your playstation. I do know that the demo has some cut scenes removed. So you will still have things to discover when you play the full game

Did you get a chance to play with Materia or was that all just locked in?

Dansen:
Did you get a chance to play with Materia or was that all just locked in?

Naw, you don't get to mess with that in this first area. Which you didn't get to change in the OG game either.

Dansen:

Yoshi178:

CritialGaming:

There is a reason people go out of their way to bait and tease you and it isn't because you like Nintendo.

enjoy tasting your own medicine i take it?

Yoshi178:

enjoy tasting your own medicine i take it?[/quote]

Stop it!

You wanna be petty? Take it to one of your Nintendo threads. Stop bringing that stupid shit everywhere you pop up.

It's alright...

I really hate how JRPGs have to tutorial the shit out of everything. Why can't the whole battle system be open from the start? Why can't I run at the start? Why is there a tutorial for getting through simple turn off & on laser beams? I was trying to switch modes via triangle from the start and I couldn't do it until I was allowed to, same thing with running. It's only an issue in the beginning of the game and all but it's just annoying. Platinum literally gives you their entire battle system (that's more complicated than this is) the second you start playing their games. During the boss fight, Cloud says to use lightning magic so I go through both his and Barret's spells and none of them have lightning magic and I'm like WTF. Then, a few minutes later, I check back and Barret now has a lightning spell. Why wasn't it there from the start when he joins the party so you know all your options? That's it for opening nitpicks that won't be present for 99.9% of the game.

I'm not really finding the battle system too engaging, it like wants to be an action combat system but it's not really that good at it. The enemy telegraphing of attacks has issues. First, when I'm playing as Cloud melee attacking the boss, I can't see the aerial rocket attack launch. Second, the electrical AoE attack can't be avoided when you see the "warning" circle as you just can't move out of the radius in time. I guess you're supposed to block that then? If there was a jump button, you most likely would be able to get out of the way. I'm also not a fan of any game where the controls change when you're in combat and out of combat and this game does that. I knew there was a last turret gun thing escaping when I went to run and couldn't thinking all the enemies were dead. I may have missed something about how lock-on works but is there a way to stay locked-on without it switching just by moving the camera? I recall the tutorial saying to switch with the d-pad I think. I was trying to have Barret shoot the shield generator thing on the boss but the lock-on keep switching from the shield generator to the standard boss lock-on just by slightly adjusting the camera since they're so close to each other. It seems like the lock-on just there to show you what enemy (enemy part) your character's gonna hit vs it actually locking onto said thing. The running behind cover thing on the one boss attack was just like pointless and boring, what's the point? You have like 10 seconds to run behind conveniently dropped cover that's like 10 feet away. It only serves to make the fight take longer. The Sweeper fights were also pointless because it's almost impossible for the thing to hit you and you're just wailing on it watching an HP bar drop rather slowly. It's trying to be both action and turned-based and both elements are making the other element worse. The action side doesn't feel all that satisfying and the tactical decision type stuff doesn't feel that important.

The tutorial is there because the system is too complex usually and you won't have time to become used to all systems in the game if they throw everything at you from the start, while if they slowly drip it down you'll be used to each thing every time it is added.

We have the perspective of people who have played dozens of Jrpgs but if it's a complete newbie at the helm they'll instantly be super overwhelmed by all the things you can do.

Also, a lot of people won't even be willing to sit through a hour long tutorial as they start the game whereas multiple 10 minute ones are more tolerated.

Phoenixmgs:
It's alright...

I really hate how JRPGs have to tutorial the shit out of everything. Why can't the whole battle system be open from the start? Why can't I run at the start? Why is there a tutorial for getting through simple turn off & on laser beams? I was trying to switch modes via triangle from the start and I couldn't do it until I was allowed to, same thing with running. It's only an issue in the beginning of the game and all but it's just annoying. Platinum literally gives you their entire battle system (that's more complicated than this is) the second you start playing their games. During the boss fight, Cloud says to use lightning magic so I go through both his and Barret's spells and none of them have lightning magic and I'm like WTF. Then, a few minutes later, I check back and Barret now has a lightning spell. Why wasn't it there from the start when he joins the party so you know all your options? That's it for opening nitpicks that won't be present for 99.9% of the game.

Barrett had Thunder available the whole time for me? Are you sure you just didn't miss it? The same goes for the controls, running worked by holding R2 well before the tutorial popped up. So I don't really see the issue there.

Also as for your thing about tutorials, it IS a demo, so it makes sense to be heavily tutorialized for people clueless about getting into the game.

During the boss fight it sounds like you were too aggressive and the game punished you for it. If you stay in and smash attack you will not be able to dodge away in time for the AOE. Also there is NO animation canceling so if you are doing an attack that animation will finish before your character will dodge or block.

Admittedly I had defensive struggles with the boss the first time, but knowing better on round two, I played a little more causiously and paid closer attention to when it was safe to attack and how to attack. Which meant that even though i attacked LESS I actually was able to beat the boss faster.

This is not an action game, though it might look like one, it really is an ATB based RPG at the core and you'll get in trouble treating it like a brawler.

CritialGaming:
Admittedly I had defensive struggles with the boss the first time, but knowing better on round two, I played a little more causiously and paid closer attention to when it was safe to attack and how to attack. Which meant that even though i attacked LESS I actually was able to beat the boss faster.

This is not an action game, though it might look like one, it really is an ATB based RPG at the core and you'll get in trouble treating it like a brawler.

I already planned to play through the demo a second time. Seeing that the second time is actually better just for understanding how the game works a little better is really good, though. That even in the demo, there's enough depth to it that your second run is significantly different to the first.

I watched SGF play it and it looked... not great. The voice acting/script is bad and Barret will not shut up! It's just non-stop snark, all the time and gets tedious pretty quickly. The enemies seem to have far too much health so the combat just drags on and on and seems really boring. Maybe he was just bad though, I don't know.

What the heck was with Shinra blowing up their own reactor? That did not happen in the original. It makes AVALANCHE look inept, and it makes Shinra look dumb.

Drathnoxis:
What the heck was with Shinra blowing up their own reactor? That did not happen in the original. It makes AVALANCHE look inept, and it makes Shinra look dumb.

It's possible that AVALANCHE only intended to destroy the Mako pump, shut down the reactor, at least for a while. Shinra went out of their way to destroy the entire thing to score a PR blow against AVALANCHE: "these maniacs blew up the entire thing, they need to be stopped!" At least, that's how I read it.

Besides, "that didn't happen in the original" isn't a particularly strong argument for... anything, considering.

The enemies seem to have far too much health so the combat just drags on and on and seems really boring. Maybe he was just bad though, I don't know.

Was he using a variety of abilities, or was he just hacking and slashing? Monsters have a lot of HP/defense to require that you use varied tactics to take them down efficiently. Magic, special abilities like Punisher Mode's counter, rushing to a Stagger with Focused Stab/Focused Shot, things like that. The same thing doesn't work on every enemy, either.

Cool to hear it doesn't disappoint. Personally will skip the demo just like I did with RE2 Remake demo. I have the game pre-ordered anyway and I always find demos of games I'm really looking forward to make the wait unbearable.

Drathnoxis:
The voice acting/script is bad and Barret will not shut up! It's just non-stop snark, all the time and gets tedious pretty quickly.

It also doesn't help that he sounds like the most archetypical anime black guy. When he started expositing in the elevator about shit Cloud and ponytail girl already knew about just to convey information to the audiences, I was kinda done with him. So yeah, I doubt I'm gonna get too emotionally engaged in these characters.

The combat was pretty neat, I can see how I might like it if I spend some more time with it. I really liked the fight against the scorpion robot, but fighting those ninja dudes was fucking awful. I was getting my ass kicked, and shit was happening way to fast and the screen was filled with too many flashy effects for me to tell why.

Casual Shinji:
The combat was pretty neat, I can see how I might like it if I spend some more time with it. I really liked the fight against the scorpion robot, but fighting those ninja dudes was fucking awful. I was getting my ass kicked, and shit was happening way to fast and the screen was filled with too many flashy effects for me to tell why.

The Shock Troopers dodge your attacks, but all of their attacks are melee. Best way to handle them is to use Cloud's Punisher Mode, since that counters melee attacks. Once they're in hitstun, you can wail on them. Barret's Thunder spell is also guaranteed to hit whatever he's locked onto.

Dreiko:
The tutorial is there because the system is too complex usually and you won't have time to become used to all systems in the game if they throw everything at you from the start, while if they slowly drip it down you'll be used to each thing every time it is added.

We have the perspective of people who have played dozens of Jrpgs but if it's a complete newbie at the helm they'll instantly be super overwhelmed by all the things you can do.

Also, a lot of people won't even be willing to sit through a hour long tutorial as they start the game whereas multiple 10 minute ones are more tolerated.

The game's systems aren't very complicated. Why do we need a tutorial for getting past lasers that turn off and on? Or why is there a tutorial for smashing boxes? I also don't like when games control differently in and out of battle, you can't actually fool around outside battle trying out your moves for example because of that.

CritialGaming:
Barrett had Thunder available the whole time for me? Are you sure you just didn't miss it? The same goes for the controls, running worked by holding R2 well before the tutorial popped up. So I don't really see the issue there.

Also as for your thing about tutorials, it IS a demo, so it makes sense to be heavily tutorialized for people clueless about getting into the game.

During the boss fight it sounds like you were too aggressive and the game punished you for it. If you stay in and smash attack you will not be able to dodge away in time for the AOE. Also there is NO animation canceling so if you are doing an attack that animation will finish before your character will dodge or block.

After booting up the demo and just playing the 1st few minutes, I'm pretty sure Barrett did have the spell because I realized you can't see your spells when you don't have the action points to use them. I didn't realize Cloud had the fire spell 1st time playing until the Sweeper fight because going into the command menu without the needed action points greys out special attacks, spells, and items. So you can't even go in and see what you have. I'm assuming it lists that stuff if you go to the full-on pause menu but not just when hitting X. But, again, it's not the reason(s) for me not liking the game much because those issues that won't be there for 99.9% of the game.

I was totally too aggressive and more so brute-forcing it more than anything, and I realized I could've beat the boss much more efficiently. That doesn't change the fact that the enemy tells are poorly done. I just watched a some other guy playing much better than me and he got hit with the same attacks I was talking about because they're poorly telegraphed. I don't care if you can't or can cancel animations, I play Monster Hunter that actually makes you feel like your using Cloud's big ass sword. I'm pretty sure you can't move out of the way of the electrical AOE even if you are inbetween attacks and start dodging away the second you see it. I also got back to the tutorial explaining lock-on and I don't get the point of it when the tutorial literally says the R-stick changes your target, which means you can't move the camera and stay locked-on to what you want, then what's the point of it?

I completely realize what type of game it is, I know it's not a pure action game. What I'm saying it's both a watered-down action game and strategy game. There is never a time the action combat feels satisfying nor moments where you're making important strategic decisions. You're really just finding basic weaknesses to stagger enemies faster, then unloading on them. All the enemies are pretty much complete cannon fodder except for the boss fight, which makes me question why I'm even fighting them when there's no challenge, no execution skill in the action combat, and no important strategic decision making; I'm literally just mashing attack, doing a special attack here and there, and that's it. It's not very engaging gameplay at all. Pick action or pick strategy, trying to both only waters down both of them. Also, it would be nice if when you got a ATB charge, your weapon would flash once, and then it would flash twice when getting the 2nd charge so you wouldn't have to look at meters in the bottom corner of the screen to know when you can do your specials.

Drathnoxis:
I watched SGF play it and it looked... not great. The voice acting/script is bad and Barret will not shut up! It's just non-stop snark, all the time and gets tedious pretty quickly. The enemies seem to have far too much health so the combat just drags on and on and seems really boring. Maybe he was just bad though, I don't know.

I have never played FF7 so I have no attachments to it. Barrett seems very caricature-ish but I'm sure scenes and dialogs are missing, they better be because if this is the complete opening, it leaves a lot to be desired. I was mainly indifferent to most of the characters and dialog so far; nothing to really make me want to see more but also nothing to think it sucks either. I will say Cloud was kinda annoying me a bit already. The one chick asks about Tifa and Cloud starts talking about her for like 2 seconds and the elevator opening up interrupts him and he doesn't continue the conversation when they're on the elevator ride.

Phoenixmgs:
I have never played FF7 so I have no attachments to it. Barrett seems very caricature-ish but I'm sure scenes and dialogs are missing, they better be because if this is the complete opening, it leaves a lot to be desired. I was mainly indifferent to most of the characters and dialog so far; nothing to really make me want to see more but also nothing to think it sucks either. I will say Cloud was kinda annoying me a bit already. The one chick asks about Tifa and Cloud starts talking about her for like 2 seconds and the elevator opening up interrupts him and he doesn't continue the conversation when they're on the elevator ride.

just realized this game comes out on April 10, the same day as the public holiday Good Friday and EB games doesn't even open on public holidays.

GOOD JOB SQUARE ENIX! *slow claps*

Drathnoxis:

Actually in the original game, Jesse says that she didn't expect her bomb to be THAT destructive. The crew are very shocked and kind of horrified that what they did ended up causing innocent people to die.

The scene from Shinra actually explains why the explosion was far greater than expected and also shows how Shinra used Avalanche to further the public opinion on their own motives.

It's really well done.

Drathnoxis:

Wait what? Why would they change that? Maybe they don't like the idea of main character being terrorist so they tried to change it to shinra being responsible... That's not a good news... It'd be pretty dumb to try and use that turn public opinion against avalanche since they're such a small outfit, it's not like they got follower or anything. Plus it's not like shinra ever needed public opinion on their side... Even if they really needed to create bad publicity for avanlanche, why not disable the reactor and create back out, would still piss off people and they would still have the reactor, those things can't be cheap and if shinra is really all about "the evil of money" they wouldn't blow up their own asset.

Meiam:

Drathnoxis:

Wait what? Why would they change that? Maybe they don't like the idea of main character being terrorist so they tried to change it to shinra being responsible... That's not a good news... It'd be pretty dumb to try and use that turn public opinion against avalanche since they're such a small outfit, it's not like they got follower or anything. Plus it's not like shinra ever needed public opinion on their side... Even if they really needed to create bad publicity for avanlanche, why not disable the reactor and create back out, would still piss off people and they would still have the reactor, those things can't be cheap and if shinra is really all about "the evil of money" they wouldn't blow up their own asset.

Please read Post #33

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.