Resident Evil 3 Review Thread

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Hawki:

votemarvel:
the final Nemesis fight was a pain though.

Really? I found the final boss fight the easiest in the game.

It was a pain as in you had to keep stopping while pushing the fuses back in to dodge Nemesis' hits. Do a little run around the area before pushing again. It was a pain because it was very tedious.

balladbird:

Time is one of the most important factors for grade, yeah. assuming it's like other RE games, up to 2 hours is S rank. Number of saves also counts against your score, as does the number of first aid sprays you use, though I don't believe herbs count against you... if they do, not as much as first aid sprays.

It is essentially punishing you for being frugal and avoiding enemies, which you think would be important in a zombie apocalypse. Still at least I know now and can more effectively farm for those points. it just goes against my nature to do so, I've never been a fan of speedrunning a game.

As to pacing. I find RE3 Remake to be far better in that regard than the RE2 Remake. I guess my gaming tastes have just changed over the years but I found the constant back and forth in RE2 Remake to become tedious very quickly, whereas the smaller map area in the RE3 Remake meant I wasn't spending as much time just running back and forth over empty corridors.

Mr. X helped the RE2 Remake to some degree but he eventually became an irritant more than a threat, just adding more to the back and forth as I was trying to get things done. Being irritating may have been the point in his character but I just didn't find it enjoyable.

In short the pacing of the RE3 Remake is better for me because I spend more time doing stuff rather than running back and forth before I'm allowed to do stuff. Perhaps this and the last generation of games have just soured me on collectable hunting and that is what the RE2 Remake feels like.

votemarvel:
It was a pain as in you had to keep stopping while pushing the fuses back in to dodge Nemesis' hits. Do a little run around the area before pushing again. It was a pain because it was very tedious.

If you did it like that, I can see why you'd think that. The trick is to shoot the pink pustules that appear on Nemesis. They all explode after 2-3 handgun shots and once they are all gone Nemesis keels over for a fairly long nap so that you can push the fuses in peace. Do it like that and it is almost insultingly easy.

I have a question for someone who might be further in testing the game than I am:

One of the trophies is "I might need these later", which rewards you for using 1 or fewer recovery items in the whole game... My question is, when you enter the substation for the first time, the game infects Jill with a parasite in a cutscene, basically forcing you to use a green herb to heal her. Does that count against the total?

balladbird:
I have a question for someone who might be further in testing the game than I am:

One of the trophies is "I might need these later", which rewards you for using 1 or fewer recovery items in the whole game... My question is, when you enter the substation for the first time, the game infects Jill with a parasite in a cutscene, basically forcing you to use a green herb to heal her. Does that count against the total?

No. I checked other forums online. You're good to go in that particular case.

balladbird:

Erm, I think it does count against the total. I don't know where CoCage got that: https://gamewith.net/resident-evil-3/article/show/17616

The achievement is essentially 'don't use any healing items' I think, which is what it would have been if it wasn't for that encounter. Do it on assisted, it says.

balladbird:

dscross:

Casual Shinji:
Yeah, that's the one. Carlos doesn't have a weapon with blow back, so fighting those Hunters requires you being able to perform his shoulder rush well enough or having a couple of grenades on hand.

I'm finally passed it. Man, that was an ordeal on Hardcore. That will be a killer on the two higher difficulties. It's not scary though, it's just frustrating.

At least on hardcore, the boss fights last WAY too long. Nemesis is such a damage sponge that it takes so long to bring him down... way past the point where the fight has become tedious. Bear in mind, I said 'long', not 'difficult'. He's not especially hard to beat in any of his encounters... which kind of makes it worse. By the time I finished the game I had a chest full of healing items I never ended up using... but I still dreaded fighting nemesis because I knew it would be such an ordeal.

Yeah, I found this. Although I actually did find the 2nd to last boss in the arena quite challenging as well as the hospital zombie attack. I died quite a lot before I figured out how to do it - starting on hardcore. Boring and repetitive though. The very last boss was easiest by a long way and I wish they were all that short!

I enjoyed the original game's bosses a lot more because they were short and not a focus of the game. I really don't like that new nemesis dog/alien transformation thing. They should have kept him in an original form much longer. He was pretty much humanoid until right near the end in the original and I think that was the way to go. It definitely made a better impression. When I think of all the amazing things the original did that they didn't do for this it really irks me.

votemarvel:
It is essentially punishing you for being frugal and avoiding enemies, which you think would be important in a zombie apocalypse. Still at least I know now and can more effectively farm for those points. it just goes against my nature to do so, I've never been a fan of speedrunning a game.

They do want you to be frugal and avoid enemies, but quickly - it's much quicker dodging than shooting in many cases with normal zombies. Everyone gets a C or a B first time. It's par for the course. The grades are for repeat playthroughs once you've learned the game. It's like that in most Resident Evil games.

Gethsemani:
If you did it like that, I can see why you'd think that. The trick is to shoot the pink pustules that appear on Nemesis. They all explode after 2-3 handgun shots and once they are all gone Nemesis keels over for a fairly long nap so that you can push the fuses in peace. Do it like that and it is almost insultingly easy.

Well now I feel absolutely idiotic, I somehow got it into my head that they were decorative. Well I'll know better for next time.

dscross:

votemarvel:

They do want you to be frugal and avoid enemies, but quickly - it's much quicker dodging than shooting in many cases with normal zombies. Everyone gets a C or a B first time. It's par for the course. The grades are for repeat playthroughs once you've learned the game. It's like that in most Resident Evil games.

I just don't remember them ever being that weighted toward the time limit when it came to rank though. I didn't expect to get an S but would have thought better than a C given how I did everything else.

votemarvel:
I just don't remember them ever being that weighted toward the time limit when it came to rank though. I didn't expect to get an S but would have thought better than a C given how I did everything else.

All the mainline games prior to 4 (I/2/3 and Code Veronica, as well as the 1/2/3 remakes) have grading systems based time limits and the number of saves. Occasionally they throw in an extra stipulation of not using first-aid sprays or special weapons earned for completing the game.

I can't remember how they grade 5, 6, 7 and the revelations games - it may be slightly different. Don't think 4 has grades at all.

I got to the final fight on Nightmare mode and the game just turns into fucking Sekiro. I thought after getting past the acid room Boss fight the final fight would be relatively easy, but I've spent more than an hour on it and I couldn't even get past the first phase. The problem isn't even health items or fire power, it's that one fuck-up pretty much condemns you to death. His side sweeps are easy enough to (perfect) dodge, but his overhead slam attacks completely fuck me over. He does this three-hit combo, and if you don't perfect dodge the first or second strike you get stun-locked and then killed by the follow-up attack.

I really enjoyed Nightmare mode overall, a lot more than Hardcore, but that final fight is ludicrously hard and I for the life of me could not get past it.

Casual Shinji:
I got to the final fight on Nightmare mode and the game just turns into fucking Sekiro. I thought after getting past the acid room Boss fight the final fight would be relatively easy, but I've spent more than an hour on it and I couldn't even get past the first phase. The problem isn't even health items or fire power, it's that one fuck-up pretty much condemns you to death. His side sweeps are easy enough to (perfect) dodge, but his overhead slam attacks completely fuck me over. He does this three-hit combo, and if you don't perfect dodge the first or second strike you get stun-locked and then killed by the follow-up attack.

I really enjoyed Nightmare mode overall, a lot more than Hardcore, but that final fight is ludicrously hard and I for the life of me could not get past it.

How was the zombie siege in the hospital on nightmare (assuming you didn't use any special weapons from the shop)?

dscross:

Casual Shinji:

How was the zombie siege in the hospital on nightmare (assuming you didn't use any special weapons from the shop)?

I think it's the same difficulty as on Hardcore. But I was cutting it pretty close on ammo, and that's with me not wasting any handgun or assault rifle ammo on the two Hunters in the room where you find the cassette tape, and the one with the cutscene introduction.

dscross:

votemarvel:

All the mainline games prior to 4 (I/2/3 and Code Veronica, as well as the 1/2/3 remakes) have grading systems based time limits and the number of saves. Occasionally they throw in an extra stipulation of not using first-aid sprays or special weapons earned for completing the game.

I can't remember how they grade 5, 6, 7 and the revelations games - it may be slightly different. Don't think 4 has grades at all.

I've played all mainlines games (not 7 as I don't like first person games) and I know time played a part.

I'm just not a fan of speed running in games, I really don't see the point in playing a game if you are going to just blaze through it, so to have the ranking so heavily weighted that way is a bit disappointing to me.

votemarvel:

dscross:

votemarvel:

I've played all mainlines games (not 7 as I don't like first person games) and I know time played a part.

I'm just not a fan of speed running in games, I really don't see the point in playing a game if you are going to just blaze through it, so to have the ranking so heavily weighted that way is a bit disappointing to me.

You don't have to speed run it though. As I said, the grading system is purely for 2nd playthrough purposes once you know the game well - and it's been part of the series, for like, ever, so it's not unexpected and if you've played the other mainline games you should have expected it. You don't need to feel bad about your initial grade. Like I mentioned, nearly everyone gets a C first playthrough if they weren't rushing. It's meant to incentivise you to run through it again quickly. It's not meant to make you feel bad about getting a C.

There are waaaaaaaaaay more disappointing things about this game than the grading system, which basically just follows the standard resi formula.

dscross:

You don't have to speed run it though. As I said, the grading system is purely for 2nd playthrough purposes once you know the game well - and it's been part of the series, for like, ever, so it's not unexpected and if you've played the other mainline games you should have expected it. You don't need to feel bad about your initial grade. Like I mentioned, nearly everyone gets a C first playthrough if they weren't rushing. It's meant to incentivise you to run through it again quickly. It's not meant to make you feel bad about getting a C.

There are waaaaaaaaaay more disappointing things about this game than the grading system, which basically just follows the standard resi formula.

But you kind of do. When you do everything else pretty much spot on only to have the grade dragged down because of the time, then that is forcing you to speed run if you want to boost the rank. Even the RE2 Remake wasn't this harsh.

I don't feel bad about the C, I feel cheated.

That aside I actually like the game far more than the Resident Evil 2 Remake, that game took everything that was good about the original and improved it but kept everything that was bad without change.

votemarvel:

That aside I actually like the game far more than the Resident Evil 2 Remake, that game took everything that was good about the original and improved it but kept everything that was bad without change.

Can you elaborate?

So in case anyone's wondering, I won my first match of Resistance. With January. Despite this being April.

Anyone?

Okay then. :(

Hawki:
So in case anyone's wondering, I won my first match of Resistance. With January. Despite this being April.

Anyone?

Did you have any fun?

I got a B rank for Normal mode with no deaths. Yay for incremental improvements. Those par times are stricter than RE2's.

Hawki:

Anyone?

Glad you're having fun! Resistance is okay. I'm glad they bundled it, because I don't care enough about multiplayer games to have ever tried it otherwise. Been a mastermind all of one time, but I prefer being the underpowered party in asymmetrical games, so it suits me fine.

Hey guys, I said I beat it, I never said I had fun doing so. :P

Anyway, there's not much more to say on Resistance than what I've said already. It's not good by any means - it's this weird little hybrid of Umbrella Corps and Outbreak, but the maps are too small, and it toes this line between vulnerability (as in, you're test subjects in a dire situation) and frustration (when the shit being thrown at you just becomes tedium). A lot of times, it ends up on the wrong end of that spectrum.

TBH, I'd much rather have characters die permanantly rather than respawn. For instance, there was a time when a teammate was being killed by Birkin and I chose not to save them because if they died, they'd just respawn. Yeah, we'd lose some time, but it's very difficult to stun the 'ubers', and near impossible if you don't have a grenade. Permadeath would add to the tension and feel more in keeping. I mean, Outbreak had a system where if you died, you'd resurrect as a zombie. Why not here?

Alright, this is probably going to be the last thing I say on the matter of Resistance barring additional developments (yes, I know Jill and Nikolai are coming, that isn't news) or questions.

I've won quite a few more matches, and have got into the swing of things. Better sense of how to play which character, and how best to work in conjunction with other players. I've had some enjoyment, but the gameplay is pretty shallow, and I don't see myself wanting to come back to this much. I haven't played as a mastermind, because the matchmaking has never put me as one, but I'm actually okay with that. When I play RE, I enjoy having a sense of vulnerability, or at least, vulnerability at the start - I'm fine with unloading heavier weapons on bosses at the end, because it's power that's been earnt. So playing as the survivours is more ideal to me.

That said, again, there isn't that much depth, and it feels like a regression from Outbreak. Both games have the premise of ordinary people being thrust into horrific circumstances, but Outbreak felt more 'real,' in that those circumstances were a viral outbreak rather than Umbrella experiments. So ergo, felt more of a connection. Also helped that Outbreak had a narrative, however loose, not to mention much larger maps. If Capcom wants multiplayer-focused RE games, again, Outbreak is the template I'd like to see used. Resistance however, is 'Outbreak lite.' There's some fun to be had, but I can't see it holding my attention for long.

I hate it when Resident Evil remakes come out, because that means SGF will spend, like, three solid months playing nothing else. First he plays the original a couple times to get the different endings, then he plays the Remake a couple times. Ugh. Resident Evil games are so boring to watch! This time I just watched him play through the original once on double speed, and the remake demo and that was enough for me.

Drathnoxis:
I hate it when Resident Evil remakes come out, because that means SGF will spend, like, three solid months playing nothing else. First he plays the original a couple times to get the different endings, then he plays the Remake a couple times. Ugh. Resident Evil games are so boring to watch! This time I just watched him play through the original once on double speed, and the remake demo and that was enough for me.

So what? Then don't watch his stuff. I am subscribed to SGF (supergreatfriend) and don't care much for his RE3 Remake playthrough. Liked his playthrough of the original though. I still have not seen remake run due to playing the actual fucking game, and not that invested. Love the guy, and he's got a whole bunch content I can watch through again or look up.

CoCage:

Drathnoxis:

So what? Then don't watch his stuff. I am subscribed to SGF (supergreatfriend) and don't care much for his RE3 Remake playthrough. Liked his playthrough of the original though. I still have not seen remake run due to playing the actual fucking game, and not that invested. Love the guy, and he's got a whole bunch content I can watch through again or look up.

This is what I've done, however, this has the obvious drawback on not having any SGF to watch, which is a sorry state of affairs.

Although, I've just noticed that he's started playing something called Quantum Break, which appears to be another terrible FMV game, so things are looking up!

Drathnoxis:

CoCage:

Drathnoxis:

This is what I've done, however, this has the obvious drawback on not having any SGF to watch, which is a sorry state of affairs.

Although, I've just noticed that he's started playing something called Quantum Break, which appears to be another terrible FMV game, so things are looking up!

I find that somewhat even less interesting. QB is not the worst game out there, but it is Remedy's worst game. It was during that weird phase, Microsoft were focusing on their TV and Sports crowd. Instead of you know, their actual target audience. QB is just another generic cover shooter with some underused mechanics or does take time manipulation far enough. What your essentially playing is a worst version of Vanquish. I am so glad Remedy is not stuck under Microsoft's thumb anymore. I have not played Control yet, but it looks way more interesting than Quantum Break. Also, the production values in the FMV sequences are the worst for a modern game. The live-action bits in RE1, most FMV games, and Twisted Metal 1 look like high production art by comparison. Also, who the hell is still copying Jason Bourne in 2016?

CoCage:

I find that somewhat even less interesting. QB is not the worst game out there, but it is Remedy's worst game. It was during that weird phase, Microsoft were focusing on their TV and Sports crowd. Instead of you know, their actual target audience. QB is just another generic cover shooter with some underused mechanics or does take time manipulation far enough. What your essentially playing is a worst version of Vanquish. I am so glad Remedy is not stuck under Microsoft's thumb anymore. I have not played Control yet, but it looks way more interesting than Quantum Break. Also, the production values in the FMV sequences are the worst for a modern game. The live-action bits in RE1, most FMV games, and Twisted Metal 1 look like high production art by comparison. Also, who the hell is still copying Jason Bourne in 2016?

I'm digging it a lot. The FMVs are glorious! It's like a 7th grader's first powerpoint presentation with random stuff just flying around sideways and random picture in picture shots of the same person for no reason. The voice acting is great too. The game is terrible and I love it! And strangely, the game actually seems to have a lot of thought put into its world building. You just can't this kind of game anywhere outside of the 90s.

Oh, I just realized I made a typo in my last post. He's playing Quantum Gate, not Quantum Break.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.