Final Fantasy 7 Remake Full Review - I have thoughts. (spoilers at the end)

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Asita:

That's part of the meat behind some of the speculation, really.

CritialGaming:

We can agree to disagree here because the plot subversion happens in the original as well. You run around with AVALANCHE fighting Shrina for the first 6 hours of the original game, then you get to the Shrina building and all of a sudden you are global trotting to chase an alien and a super soldier.

The shit plays out the same really. And the only difference at the core is that they had to break up the remake into episodes.

That's not the same subversion at all. What you have in the original isn't a subversion so much as playing with expectations. It builds the expectation that Shinra will act as the primary villain, before you find out that your primary focus is going to lie elsewhere.

...But Final Fantasy had already done similar things in FF4 and FF6. They love multiple villains, they love intrigue and playing with expectation. It's just another formula. It's not a "subversion" because that defied expectation doesn't actually make any particular point about the story you thought you'd be playing through, taking down Shinra. It's just that you thought it'd be one thing, and then it was something else. That aint subversion.

The Remake is a subversion in a sense...

I never played the original FF7 and thus can enjoy the game without any nostalgia baggage. As such the ghosts don't bother me too much though I do think they are the least interesting part of the game.

I never played the original but I have been exposed to Cloud and Sephiroth through different games. They always struck me as the worst Final Fantasy protagonist and antagonist. Whenever they appear outside of FF7 they always came across as the most boring characters imaginable. Cloud is just some emo killjoy who's never interested in anything and Sephiroth is defined solely by his desire to mess with Cloud. I did always hear that these depictions were somewhat out of character and not representative of their real selves so I did give them a chance to prove me wrong. One did, the other didn't.

Cloud is far more expressive then expected. Rather then an emotionless killjoy he's dorky and really shy, with his too cool for school persona being an act to mask that. I can appreciate that. With Sephiroth however pretty much all alarm bells start going off. If Sephiroth was different in the original then Squire has deliberately chosen to use his more boring post FF7 version for this game. Every time he appears he's given a reverence that comes more from his status within the fandom then his status within Midgar, and like all other games Sephiroth seems to get out of bed each morning solely to find new ways to bully Cloud. Sephiroth is just as boring as he's always been.

Hades:
I never played the original FF7 and thus can enjoy the game without any nostalgia baggage. As such the ghosts don't bother me too much though I do think they are the least interesting part of the game.

I never played the original but I have been exposed to Cloud and Sephiroth through different games. They always struck me as the worst Final Fantasy protagonist and antagonist. Whenever they appear outside of FF7 they always came across as the most boring characters imaginable. Cloud is just some emo killjoy who's never interested in anything and Sephiroth is defined solely by his desire to mess with Cloud. I did always hear that these depictions were somewhat out of character and not representative of their real selves so I did give them a chance to prove me wrong. One did, the other didn't.

Cloud is far more expressive then expected. Rather then an emotionless killjoy he's dorky and really shy, with his too cool for school persona being an act to mask that. I can appreciate that. With Sephiroth however pretty much all alarm bells start going off. If Sephiroth was different in the original then Squire has deliberately chosen to use his more boring post FF7 version for this game. Every time he appears he's given a reverence that comes more from his status within the fandom then his status within Midgar, and like all other games Sephiroth seems to get out of bed each morning solely to find new ways to bully Cloud. Sephiroth is just as boring as he's always been.

There's "DEEP LORE" stuff going on behind Cloud's attitude and personality. You see him open up during the duration of this game but there's a lot going on there.

Sephiroth...wasn't in the original. Not in these parts of the game anyway. They're bringing him in and using spoiler plot things to have him be part of the early game events because he's one of the most iconic villains in videogame history so just not having him do pretty much anything and waiting another couple of years before he shows up wouldn't make sense based on his popularity.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.