Poll: Would you pay as a nazi?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

WrongSprite:
Yes, I greatly admire the Wermacht. And it'd make a change.

Also, please change your O.P, not all German foot soldiers were Nazis. The Nazis were a political party that didn't even get the majority vote without cheating.

German =/= Nazi.

I wanted to mention this as well.

German WW2 soldier =/= nazi.

But sure I would play as one, though there would have to be a POINT, being a nazi just for the sake of being a nazi or to see what executing jews would be like would be too tasteless.

It's a misleading question. If it was just a game like MW2, then him being a Nazi doesn't make any difference whatsoever.
And don't argue with that, because Nazi doesn't mean Anti-Semite.

Sure. It's just a game, after all.

I think there is something of a misunderstanding between "Nazi" and "Wermacht"

Yeah sure, I'd love a call of duty style shooter where you're a German instead of one of the Allies. I kind of like the inevitability that you're going to lose. There is no saying WHEN you'll lose, you could be taken as a POW or die in the defense of Berlin armed only with a panzerfaust.

To tell the truth.I want a game with an epic story line.Where the nazi's win the because of your characters aid in the war.

Yes, in an fps or rts. I would proabably not play an nazi rpg. But if it was occult nazism I would play it regardless.

It's a misleading question. If it was just a game like MW2, then him being a Nazi doesn't make any difference whatsoever.
And don't argue with that, because Nazi doesn't mean Anti-Semite.

Agreed. For every German soldier that did not like Hitler, there were just as many who did. I can easily imagine someone in that time supporting nazi ideology, and believing that Hitler was doing good things for their country.

And the anti-semetism? Some points.
1) There were soldiers in the German army who were Jewish (but secretive about it).
2) Many Germans were in denial about the holocaust, or at least, willfully ignorant. As common as anti-semetism was many people would not accept the idea that Hitler was murdering Jews, assuming they were aware of anything going on at all.
3) The allied forces have gotten very sanctimonious about the whole Jewish situation. Anti-semetism was rife throughout Europe and (to a lesser extent) in the US. On hearing about the death camps, many British and French civilians were actually pleased to hear that someone was killing off the Jews. Eugenics were still in their hayday, and it was only until after the war that such a degree of racism went into decline (mostly as a reaction to Germany's behaviour).

So yes, there is a huge scope for making a German character; the idea of being on the losing side, the idea of possibly feeling betrayed as the Russians close in, the pride before the fall when Germany took France and ousted the British, the witch hunts for Jews, the possibly conflicting ideals of whether one can be patriotic to Germany yet anti-nazi/Hitler (or vice versa, or both).

There is a huge scope for good story telling but (and this is a big but), is it too late for this kind of thing? There is so many damn WWII war games out now, we'd be bored of seeing the same period yet again, despite being from a new perspective.

What kind of game I wouldn't mind seeing would be on the German Resitence the movie walküre actually portrayed them quite well to a degree, even though most of the german people were quite pissed of with Tom Cruise who glorified stauffenberg and making him out to be the "only hero" for Germany, when he is actually considured by most as an ultraconservative prick.

But back to the topic a game on the German resistance I think it would be a good change to see how the germans are portraied in most games.

The period I'd like to see?
1) The first World War (but not necessarily the Somme or trench warfare - there were a great deal of theatres and different forms of conflict throughout - but I'd be interested in either an espionage themed one, or a "Lawrence of Arabia" style one in the Middle-East).

Seeing as you would just be a soldier shooting otehr soldiers i don't really see the difference.

Isn't the docter from nazi-zombies german? maybe he's a nazi

HUBILUB:
Would I pay as a Nazi? Pay what exactly? Taxes? I don't see how me being a Nazi would change that.

Fnar Fnar.

War crimes?

Anyway, yes, I'd like to see that. And I'd like to see it without the characters being one-dimensional or taking the "operation Valkyrie" cop-out that Hollywood went for (bastards) where you're the "good Nazi". Go as fucked up as you like. Go "No Jewish" if you must.

You need to sort out the title mate
OT:I wouldn't really mind

At least once, new perspective and all.

In the absence of a "Sausages!" option, I voted "pie". Well done sir for providing culinary alternatives to proper answers.

-Nick

Well yeah - in Company of Heroes the Nazis have all the best units/are the only side I know how to play well. Weird because I'm Jewish by descent but to be honest it's just a game.

EDIT: Also if you play the Panzer elite campaign it gets well heart-wrenching at the end when

As long as they leave out explicit references to genocide I'm fine with it.

Hellz yeah, i recon itd be a sweet change, but yeah :D

WrongSprite:

Also, please change your O.P, not all German foot soldiers were Nazis. The Nazis were a political party that didn't even get the majority vote without cheating.

German =/= Nazi.

weeeeelll, they WERE Nazis, but everyone was, it was default

But the spirit of the statement is true, yes, many of them were conscripted farmboys who had no idea what was what

Perhapes a game where you play as said naive farmboy, conscripted to fight in the retreat from Normandy through to the defence of Berlin

GrinningManiac:

WrongSprite:

German =/= Nazi.

But the spirit of the statement is true, yes, many of them were conscripted farmboys who had no idea what was what

Perhapes a game where you play as said naive farmboy, conscripted to fight in the retreat from Normandy through to the defence of Berlin

Not really, were all the British soldiers conservatives then?

It's a matter of personal identity and beliefs, I think.

TheLastCylon:
OT: No, I'd rather not be associated with the Nazi Party in any way, shape or form. I don't see why any sane person would.

If you judge someone by what character they play as in a game then you should talk to a psychiatrist.

I'd have to think about playing an FPS like that. I play as the Germans most of the time in Company of Heroes (RTS)

WrongSprite:

GrinningManiac:

WrongSprite:

German =/= Nazi.

Not really, were all the British soldiers conservatives then?

It's a matter of personal identity and beliefs, I think.

You make a very good point. But, even if they didn't know what exactly was going on, they were fighting to protect the Nazi's and they were killing enemies of the Nazi's, even if they didn't fully support the reasons

EDIT: sorry about the double post.. It was accidental

Considering i don't care which character i am, yes i would play as a GERMAN. I'm sick if hearing that forsaken word "Nazi". Funny how that word was once unspeakable and now used all the time. To be honest im disgusted with people for using that term and also for the fact that we still seem to judge Germany as being a bad country. Urgh!

As far as im concerned, depending on the game and the mission/task, i don't mind if i was french, spanish or anything else. After all, a human is a human.

well i dont see why not

Grinnbarr:
Well yeah - in Company of Heroes the Nazis have all the best units/are the only side I know how to play well. Weird because I'm Jewish by descent but to be honest it's just a game.

EDIT: Also if you play the Panzer elite campaign it gets well heart-wrenching at the end when

As long as they leave out explicit references to genocide I'm fine with it.

Well they arn't Nazi's they are just German soldiers the Nazi's were a policical party, the Whermahct was the regular Army, the Gestapo were Nazi secret police, and the SS were hitlers personal army.

*cough*WorldatWarmultiplayer*

Yes, I would, IF it were done right. By which I mean, you weren't a deranged blood drinking caricature of a Nazi. If you played as a human being who was a Nazi, then yes. Give it some actual weight, the fact that you're playing on that side. Otherwise, what's the point?

ZOMG YUR A NAZI!!!1!

Plus there have been plenty of games where you could. Silent Hunter III had you captain a U-Boat sinking Allied ships. What's the difference there? How did you know they weren't outright Nazi supporters?

irtaco:
So, would you play as a nazi in a game? If a game(FPS, RPG, RTS, etc.) had you in the role of a German footsoldier during WW2, would you still play it?

Uhm i was confused cause the name of this thread is "Would you pay as a nazi"?.

Also one of the choices is "Maybe, if HE didn't kill the Jews". Who is HE? Do you mean Nazi's, Germans, or Hitler? Cause Nazi=/= German and German =/= Hitler (he was Austrian).

Very confused O_o

OT: Pie

Mumba:

TheLastCylon:
OT: No, I'd rather not be associated with the Nazi Party in any way, shape or form. I don't see why any sane person would.

If you judge someone by what character they play as in a game then you should talk to a psychiatrist.

So, I'm crazy for not wanting to be associated with the Nazi Party and frowning on people for wishing to play as a Nazi, you know, the guys who participated in the mass genocide of about 12 million people.

Gotcha.

Company of Heroes: Tales of Valour has a campaign where you play on the Nazi side and it wasn't exactly hard to come up with a story for it. Just a couple of soldiers trying to stay alive so they can get back home to their families.

BUT HOLY SHIT GUYS THEY'RE NAZIS! *eyeroll* Relic didn't receive any backlash for it since it was tastefully done, I don't see why another company couldn't do something similiar.

WrongSprite:

German =/= Nazi.

This is what i was gunna say.

It would be nice to see a game from the Germans point of veiw.

And jsut becuase you were in the German army doesnt mean your some Jew slaughtering bitch, your ust a footsoldier.

irtaco:
So, would you play as a nazi in a game? If a game(FPS, RPG, RTS, etc.) had you in the role of a German footsoldier during WW2, would you still play it?

Hasn't this topic been made like, 50 times now?

Yes, most of us already did.

Edit: Ultimately, no, on the simply grounds that NO MORE FUCKING WWII GAMES! Goddamn...

Yes, but the game will never happen unless... it could be made if your an undercover CIA agent.

i wud not pay as a nazi, i wudnt pay for anything, id run anyway before anyone can tell me the total due for my shoppin. Muwhahahahaha

I would actually, I would definitely like to see what things were like on the other side of the war. Since, to tell you the truth, I'm a little tired of seeing the perspective of the Allies.

It's a little like "Ok, we won, I get it. Can I see what things were like over there now?"

Unfortunately, the self-righteous outrage of some people would spark some sort of ethical scandal, (via Fox News and other right wing media) and so such a game would most likely never sell here.

TheLastCylon:

Mumba:

TheLastCylon:

So, I'm crazy for not wanting to be associated with the Nazi Party and frowning on people for wishing to play as a Nazi, you know, the guys who participated in the mass genocide of about 12 million people.

Gotcha.

Considering the fact that most people know the difference between a game and the real life, yes.

By the way, your numbers are way off.

Im not playing another WW2 game, but playing as the bad guy would be an intresting change

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked