Original Bayonetta voice actor Hellena Taylor released four videos asking fans to boycott Bayonetta 3 after she was offered only $4000. actress

Original Bayonetta Voice Actor Was Only Offered $4000 for Bayonetta 3, Calls for Boycott

Original Bayonetta voice actor Hellena Taylor has released a series of four scathing videos calling out PlatinumGames and Nintendo for the reason she has not reprised her role in Bayonetta 3, which is that she was offered only $4000 to return. Taylor called the offer an “insult,” explaining that it would have been a flat rate that covered her work on the whole game. She stated that the Bayonetta franchise has made approximately $450 million, not including merchandise. In response, Hellena Taylor is asking fans to boycott Bayonetta 3, requesting that they instead donate their money to charity.

Recommended Videos

“I didn’t want the world. I didn’t ask for too much,” Taylor said. “I was just asking for a decent, dignified living wage. What they did was legal, but it was immoral.”

Taylor elaborated on the “back-and-forth” that took place when work on Bayonetta 3 began. After successfully auditioning for the role in the third installment, she was sent “an insulting offer.” After receiving this first offer, Taylor wrote a letter (translated into Japanese through a friend) to PlatinumGames vice president and Bayonetta creator Hideki Kamiya.

“I’m going to write to him and ask him what I’m worth,” she said.

Taylor continued: “I know he read it because I got a reply. I got a reply saying that he values, greatly, my contribution to the game and that the fans really want me to voice it over, and the memory of first meeting me as Bayonetta is ‘a memory I hold dear.’ So, I thought, ‘Great. Thank God.’ That was when they offered me four thousand US dollars.” (Kamiya has since weakly and vaguely refuted this claim, stating, “Sad and deplorable about the attitude of untruth. That’s what all I can tell now.”)

PlatinumGames cited “various overlapping circumstances” as the reasoning for the departure of Hellena Taylor as the voice actor of Bayonetta during an interview with Game Informer earlier this month. The interview also confirmed that Mass Effect and Metroid Prime voice actor Jennifer Hale would take over the Bayonetta 3 role in Taylor’s place.

“Platinum had the cheek to say that I was busy. That they ‘couldn’t make it work with Miss Taylor’s schedule,’” Taylor said today. “Well, I had nothing but time.”

Regarding her move to ask fans to boycott Bayonetta 3, Hellena Taylor said that she understands that some fans will still purchase a copy. She said that “that’s fine. But if you’re someone who cares about people, who cares about the world around you, who cares about who gets hurt with these financial decisions, then I urge you to boycott this game.”

Bayonetta 3 launches for Nintendo Switch on October 28.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Oldboy Is Getting an English-Language TV Adaptation
Read Article Don’t Worry, the Fallout Show Didn’t Actually Retcon New Vegas
Read Article Dragon Ball Fans Can’t Contain Their Excitement Over Sparking ZERO’s One-Armed Gohan
Future Gohan looking mad in Dragon Ball.
Related Content
Read Article Oldboy Is Getting an English-Language TV Adaptation
Read Article Don’t Worry, the Fallout Show Didn’t Actually Retcon New Vegas
Read Article Dragon Ball Fans Can’t Contain Their Excitement Over Sparking ZERO’s One-Armed Gohan
Future Gohan looking mad in Dragon Ball.
Author
Michael Cripe
Michael joined The Escapist team in 2019 but has been covering games, movies, TV, and music since 2015. When he’s not writing, Michael is probably playing Super Mario Sunshine, Dead Space, The Binding of Isaac, or Doom Eternal. You can follow his news coverage and reviews at The Escapist, but his work has appeared on other sites like OnlySP, Gameranx, and Kansas City’s The Pitch, too. If you’d like to connect and talk about the latest pop-culture news, you can follow Michael on Twitter (@MikeCripe), Instagram (mike_cripe), or LinkedIn if that’s your thing.