Rockstar Announces It’s Making Grand Theft Auto VI

Grand Theft Auto VI making in active development Rockstar Games Grand Theft Auto V PS5 Xbox Series X S release date March 15, 2022

Buried at the bottom of a community update about Grand Theft Auto V (GTA5) and GTA Online, Rockstar Games confirmed that the next Grand Theft Auto is in active development — presumably named Grand Theft Auto VI. Rockstar Games also announced that GTA5 is coming to PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X | S on March 15, 2022 and outlined the new-gen features the game will enjoy.

Recommended Videos

First, here’s the reveals-nothing acknowledgement from Rockstar that Grand Theft Auto VI (GTA6) is in active development:

With the unprecedented longevity of GTAV, we know many of you have been asking us about a new entry in the Grand Theft Auto series. With every new project we embark on, our goal is always to significantly move beyond what we have previously delivered — and we are pleased to confirm that active development for the next entry in the Grand Theft Auto series is well underway. We look forward to sharing more as soon as we are ready, so please stay tuned to the Rockstar Newswire for official details.

Meanwhile, when GTA5 and GTA Online come to PS5 and Xbox Series with their final March release date, they will include up to 4K resolution and up to 60 FPS, improvements to textures and draw distance, HDR options, ray tracing, faster load times, immersive 3D audio, “platform-specific features like advanced haptic feedback,” and more.

Any GTA Online Story Mode progress made and characters created on versions available for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will be transferable to their PS5 and Xbox Series counterparts with a “one-time migration” at launch. Additionally, GTA Online will be offered as a standalone product separate from GTA5 on PS5 and Xbox Series, and the PS5 version will be free for its first three months of availability. Rockstar outlines additional updates and improvements for GTA Online in its community post.

Grand Theft Auto V and Online originally launched in September 2013 on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and it’s amazing that Rockstar is still milking those cows so extremely effectively. Still, at this point, the vast majority of players are just ready for Grand Theft Auto VI, and all Rockstar is willing to say about GTA6 is that it’s in active development. Plenty of rumors and reports already exist about what its story might entail though.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article MW3 Season 3 Roadmap Teases New Maps & Crossovers
MW3 Season 3 skins.
Read Article Sony & Marvel Drop Spider-Verse Short Film to Support Youth Mental Health Awareness
Read Article Golden Girls Reboot Hoax Has Launched a Delightfully Ridiculous TV Recasting Meme
Related Content
Read Article MW3 Season 3 Roadmap Teases New Maps & Crossovers
MW3 Season 3 skins.
Read Article Sony & Marvel Drop Spider-Verse Short Film to Support Youth Mental Health Awareness
Read Article Golden Girls Reboot Hoax Has Launched a Delightfully Ridiculous TV Recasting Meme
Author
John Friscia
Former Managing Editor at The Escapist. I have been writing about video games since 2018 and editing writing on IT, project management, and video games for around a decade. I have an English degree, but Google was a more valuable learning resource. I taught English in South Korea for a year in 2018, and it was exponentially more fun than living in Pennsylvania. My major passions in life are SNES, Japanese RPGs, Berserk, and K-pop. I'm currently developing the game Boss Saga with my brother, which is guaranteed to change your life and you should buy it.