Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse adds the Spot villain Jason Schwartzman June 2023 release date

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse Reveals the Spot as a Villain

Marvel and Sony Pictures have revealed that upcoming animated movie Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse will feature the Spot as a villain, voiced by Jason Schwartzman (Fargo). They describe the Spot as “Miles Morales’s most formidable foe yet,” and it’s too early to know whether or not that is a serious statement. The Spot is often used as something of a joke villain, somewhat similar to Shocker, but he has taken more serious turns before.

Recommended Videos

Regardless, the appearance of the Spot as a villain in Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse fits the theme of other worlds and dimensions. The Spot’s power is that he can use the spots on his body as portals to teleport things across large distances instantaneously by passing them through another dimension. In the promotional image released, Miles almost kicks Spider-Gwen in the head because his foot goes through the Spot’s body and out of a portal.

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse is of course the sequel to the Academy Award-winning Into the Spider-Verse, and following a delay, the film will arrive on June 2, 2023. Across the Spider-Verse was originally branded as “Part One,” to be followed by a “Part Two” film. However, the second part has since been renamed Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-Verse, and it is scheduled to come to theaters on March 29, 2024.

It remains to be seen if the Spot is the primary villain of Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, but even if he is, we can safely expect there are more villain reveals where this came from.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article 90 Day Fiance: Are Gino and Jasmine Still Together? Answered
Read Article X-Men ’97: How Is Vulcan Connected to Cyclops?
Combined stills of Cyclops and Vulcan in X-Men '97 Season 1
Read Article Taylor Swift Fans Think Her New Album Confirms Her Role in Deadpool & Wolverine
Dazzler using her powers in Marvel Comics.
Related Content
Read Article 90 Day Fiance: Are Gino and Jasmine Still Together? Answered
Read Article X-Men ’97: How Is Vulcan Connected to Cyclops?
Combined stills of Cyclops and Vulcan in X-Men '97 Season 1
Read Article Taylor Swift Fans Think Her New Album Confirms Her Role in Deadpool & Wolverine
Dazzler using her powers in Marvel Comics.
Author
John Friscia
Former Managing Editor at The Escapist. I have been writing about video games since 2018 and editing writing on IT, project management, and video games for around a decade. I have an English degree, but Google was a more valuable learning resource. I taught English in South Korea for a year in 2018, and it was exponentially more fun than living in Pennsylvania. My major passions in life are SNES, Japanese RPGs, Berserk, and K-pop. I'm currently developing the game Boss Saga with my brother, which is guaranteed to change your life and you should buy it.