Halo Infinite Campaign Review in 3 Minutes: Tight Combat, Empty World

Halo Infinite campaign Review in 3 Minutes 343 Industries great combat empty world
Recommended Videos

Halo Infinite, developed by 343 Industries and published by Xbox Game Studios, is a spiritual gameplay reboot for the franchise following the much maligned Halo 5: Guardians. The story continues on directly from the events of the previous games, including Halo Wars 2, so while 343 may say the game is a good starting point for fans and newcomers alike, it’s really not. You should watch the plot summaries of the story so far before starting your journey in Infinite.

Most of the fun I had with Infinite came from exploring its world, getting into battles, and taking down Banished bases. The combat in Infinite is the best the series has ever been. Emergent gameplay moments take center stage in the overworld as you’re able to tackle objectives in any way you please using a variety of equipment on offer. The grapple hook especially allows for all sorts of experimentation and great moments like running out of ammo, using the hook to pull the nearest weapon to you, and continuing the fight.

Although I have a lot of criticisms of this game, I did in fact enjoy my time with Halo Infinite overall. It’s a good game and a good foundation, both in mechanics and story. But it lacks variety and feels less like a complete work and more like the start of something that could potentially end up being great through future content. It’s an issue that seems to be plaguing a lot of my favorite franchises lately.

The Halo Infinite campaign is available now on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and Steam for $59.99 and is also part of Xbox Game Pass.

Watch our full Review in 3 Minutes for the Halo Infinite campaign.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Thirsty Suitors Review
Thirsty Suitors Review: A story-driven RPG by Outerloop Games that features one of the best stories in a game this year
Read Article Jusant Review
Jusant Review: An excellent puzzle climbing game developed and published by Don't Nod, where you embark on a journey ascending a massive mountain shrouded in mystery.
Read Article Dark Envoy Review
Dark Envoy Review: A single-player RPG-adventure game that makes a good first impression, but can't sustain it.
Related Content
Read Article Thirsty Suitors Review
Thirsty Suitors Review: A story-driven RPG by Outerloop Games that features one of the best stories in a game this year
Read Article Jusant Review
Jusant Review: An excellent puzzle climbing game developed and published by Don't Nod, where you embark on a journey ascending a massive mountain shrouded in mystery.
Read Article Dark Envoy Review
Dark Envoy Review: A single-player RPG-adventure game that makes a good first impression, but can't sustain it.
Author
Nick Calandra
Nick Calandra has been covering video games for over 14 years, holds a bachelor’s degree in Multimedia Journalism and now leads the team at The Escapist. Previously Nick created and led teams at TitanReviews, Velocity Gamer, OnlySP and Gameumentary, before becoming Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist in 2019. He has done everything from covering the smallest of indie games to creating documentaries on some of the most well-known video game franchises in the industry such as Darksiders, Divinity: Original Sin, EVE and more. While his favorite games right now include Rainbow Six Siege and Elden Ring, Nick is constantly experimenting with new genres to expand his gaming tastes and knowledge of the industry.