Sony PlayStation time-limited game trials PS Premium required for developers $34 or more two hours for 12 months

PlayStation Devs Reportedly Required to Offer Game Trials for Titles Costing $34+ in Future

When Sony took the lid off of its new and improved PlayStation Plus service, it revealed three price tiers: Essential, Extra, and Premium. PS Premium will uniquely offer “time-limited game trials,” so that players can try games before they buy them. However, specific details about the trials were not provided, such as which games will receive them. Now, Game Developer is reporting that Sony is requiring game developers to offer time-limited game trials for any future PlayStation game that retails for at least $34, €33 in Europe, or ï¿¥4000 in Japan, and these trials must last for at least two hours.

Recommended Videos

Sony has reportedly conveyed this information to developers through its own developer portal, and there is some lenience in how the policy applies. For instance, these time-limited PlayStation game trials only need to be offered to PS Premium players for a minimum of 12 months, and developers have until three months after the launch of their games to provide the game trial version. Upcoming PSVR games are apparently not required to offer trials at all. Additionally, on a case-by-case basis, Sony will entertain the possibility of developers providing customized demos that do not adhere to the time-limited structure, which should help developers that are creating inherently short games.

The new policy will not conflict with developers’ ability to provide additional offers to players, such as other trials or free demos or free play weekends. If this information is accurate, PlayStation Plus Premium is going to offer an opportunity to try out basically every major new game on the platform before committing to a purchase. Catering to this mandate may create some new inconveniences for developers, but it will certainly be a benefit to players who want to sample games like Final Fantasy XVI or Marvel’s Wolverine.

The new PlayStation Plus is currently targeting June for its launch in most markets.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Pokemon GO Players Demand Cosmetic Refunds Following Avatar Update
pokemon go avatar refund
Read Article Matthew Mercer Pulls Off a Shocking Critical Role First
Read Article Taylor Swift Fans Think Her New Album Confirms Her Role in Deadpool & Wolverine
Dazzler using her powers in Marvel Comics.
Related Content
Read Article Pokemon GO Players Demand Cosmetic Refunds Following Avatar Update
pokemon go avatar refund
Read Article Matthew Mercer Pulls Off a Shocking Critical Role First
Read Article Taylor Swift Fans Think Her New Album Confirms Her Role in Deadpool & Wolverine
Dazzler using her powers in Marvel Comics.
Author
John Friscia
Former Managing Editor at The Escapist. I have been writing about video games since 2018 and editing writing on IT, project management, and video games for around a decade. I have an English degree, but Google was a more valuable learning resource. I taught English in South Korea for a year in 2018, and it was exponentially more fun than living in Pennsylvania. My major passions in life are SNES, Japanese RPGs, Berserk, and K-pop. I'm currently developing the game Boss Saga with my brother, which is guaranteed to change your life and you should buy it.