The Batman 2 sequel Matt Reeves Robert Pattinson

The Batman 2 Announced with Matt Reeves and Robert Pattinson

Warner Bros. Motion Picture Group head Toby Emmerich announced at CinemaCon that The Batman 2 is happening, with Matt Reeves returning as director and Robert Pattinson returning as Bruce Wayne / Batman (via Deadline). Considering that The Batman generated more than $760 million worldwide and reached 4.1 million viewers in its first week on HBO Max, this announcement is not so much surprising as it a foregone conclusion.

Recommended Videos

No further information was shared about The Batman 2, except that the movie is official and will happen. As previously announced, the Penguin, played by Colin Farrell, will receive his own HBO Max series set in the same continuity as well. It is anyone’s guess which villain or villains may appear in the sequel to The Batman, but Reeves has previously suggested it will not include the Joker, despite a certain deleted scene.

“Thank you all for your tremendous support for The Batman,” said Reeves at CinemaCon. “We couldn’t have gotten here without the faith and enthusiasm of all your teams around the world. I’m excited to jump back into this world for the next chapter.”

The release dates for several DC Extended Universe films were changed recently, with Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom getting pushed back and Shazam! Fury of the Gods being brought forward. There is no release window for The Batman 2 yet.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Agatha: Who Does Joe Locke Play in the MCU Series?
Joe Locke and Marvel Comics character Billy Kaplan/Wiccan
Read Article X-Men ’97: Who Is Theo James’ Character, Bastion?
Bastion in X-Men '97 Season 1, Episode 7, "Bright Eyes"
Read Article X-Men ’97 Season 1: Does Storm Get Her Powers Back?
Storm using her weather powers in X-Men '97 Season 1. This image is part of an article about when does X-Men '97 Episode 6 Come Out.
Related Content
Read Article Agatha: Who Does Joe Locke Play in the MCU Series?
Joe Locke and Marvel Comics character Billy Kaplan/Wiccan
Read Article X-Men ’97: Who Is Theo James’ Character, Bastion?
Bastion in X-Men '97 Season 1, Episode 7, "Bright Eyes"
Read Article X-Men ’97 Season 1: Does Storm Get Her Powers Back?
Storm using her weather powers in X-Men '97 Season 1. This image is part of an article about when does X-Men '97 Episode 6 Come Out.
Author
John Friscia
Former Managing Editor at The Escapist. I have been writing about video games since 2018 and editing writing on IT, project management, and video games for around a decade. I have an English degree, but Google was a more valuable learning resource. I taught English in South Korea for a year in 2018, and it was exponentially more fun than living in Pennsylvania. My major passions in life are SNES, Japanese RPGs, Berserk, and K-pop. I'm currently developing the game Boss Saga with my brother, which is guaranteed to change your life and you should buy it.