Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer desire for Call of Duty COD on Sony PlayStation 4 5 PS5

Xbox Has ‘Desire to Keep Call of Duty on PlayStation,’ Says Phil Spencer

The Microsoft / Activision Blizzard acquisition saga continues with another wild curve ball. Today, Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer tweeted out to express that he had talked with Sony leaders, that Xbox intends to honor all existing agreements between Sony and Activision Blizzard, and that there is a “desire to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation.” Spencer described Sony as an “important part” of the video game industry and said that Microsoft “values” its relationship with the company.

Recommended Videos

Of course, that careful Phil Spencer phrasing of “our desire to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation” is curious. It is not a guarantee that new Call of Duty games will continue to arrive on Sony consoles. Rather, it is merely a hopeful indication. Nonetheless, COD players on PlayStation are bound to be pleased by this news, particularly in light of how Xbox has used its Bethesda acquisition. In a nutshell, most future Bethesda games are expected to be Xbox and PC exclusives, and the massive upcoming RPG Starfield has been confirmed as such. The fact that Phil Spencer and Microsoft are keeping the door open for more Call of Duty on PlayStation — and that it may not be limited to just free-to-play Warzone — is a big deal.

However, how Microsoft intends to profit from this massive acquisition of Activision Blizzard remains to be seen, especially if it doesn’t intend to make Call of Duty an Xbox and PC exclusive. What we do know, thanks to our in-house lawyer, is that the government isn’t likely to interfere with the merger.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Netflix Announces Reality Series Focusing on Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders
Read Article Zack Snyder Wanted Leonardo DiCaprio to Play Lex Luthor in BvS
Leonardo DiCaprio pointing his finger in The Wolf of Wall Street.
Read Article Oldboy Is Getting an English-Language TV Adaptation
Related Content
Read Article Netflix Announces Reality Series Focusing on Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders
Read Article Zack Snyder Wanted Leonardo DiCaprio to Play Lex Luthor in BvS
Leonardo DiCaprio pointing his finger in The Wolf of Wall Street.
Read Article Oldboy Is Getting an English-Language TV Adaptation
Author
John Friscia
Former Managing Editor at The Escapist. I have been writing about video games since 2018 and editing writing on IT, project management, and video games for around a decade. I have an English degree, but Google was a more valuable learning resource. I taught English in South Korea for a year in 2018, and it was exponentially more fun than living in Pennsylvania. My major passions in life are SNES, Japanese RPGs, Berserk, and K-pop. I'm currently developing the game Boss Saga with my brother, which is guaranteed to change your life and you should buy it.