Sony PS5 5 PlayStation VR2 PS VR2 PSVR2 Horizon Call of the Mountain HCOTM Guerrilla Games

PSVR2 Specs Revealed, Horizon Call of the Mountain Announced for VR

At CES 2022, Sony has formally named its next-gen VR headset for PlayStation 5, which it is calling PlayStation VR2 (PS VR2 or PSVR2), and it has revealed specs both for the headset and for its new “PS VR2 Sense” controller. No images of the actual headset appear to have been revealed, but we have previously seen the controller. Meanwhile, Guerrilla Games and Firesprite have dropped an announcement trailer for Horizon Call of the Mountain for PSVR2, a VR take on its Horizon franchise. Details such as a release date or gameplay features for Horizon Call of the Mountain haven’t been provided yet, but you will play as a new character in a new adventure, meeting new and old characters — including Aloy.

Recommended Videos

The most exciting aspects of PlayStation VR2 just might be the most mundane ones: It uses a single-cord setup, and it doesn’t require an external camera for movement tracking. Those are big differences from the original PlayStation VR model, which frankly can be cumbersome to set up. Additionally, the new headset will track your eye movements, so just the act of shifting your gaze will be able to act as a game input. And in general, between the headset (which includes 3D Audio) and the PS VR2 Sense controller, you can expect a much more immersive experience.

Check out the specs for PlayStation 2 VR and its Sense controller below, plus the Horizon Call of the Mountain announcement trailer. There are no release dates yet.

PSVR2 Technical Specs

Display method​ OLED
Panel resolution​ 2000 x 2040 per eye
Panel refresh rate​ 90Hz, 120Hz
Lens separation​ Adjustable
Field of View​ Approx. 110 degrees
Sensors​ Motion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer)​
Attachment Sensor: IR Proximity sensor
Cameras​ 4 cameras for headset and controller tracking​IR camera for eye tracking per eye
Feedback​ Vibration on headset
Communication​ with PS5 USB Type-C®
Audio​ Input: Built-in microphone​Output: Stereo headphone jack

PSVR2 Sense Controller Specs

Buttons​ [Right]​
PS button, Options button, Action buttons (Circle / Cross), R1 button, R2 button, Right Stick / R3 button
​[Left]​
PS button, Create button, Action buttons (Triangle / Square), L1 button, L2 button, Left Stick / L3 button
Sensing/ Tracking Motion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope + three-axis accelerometer)
Capacitive Sensor: Finger Touch DetectionIR LED: Position Tracking
Feedback ​ Trigger Effect (on R2/L2 button), Haptic Feedback (by single actuator per unit)
Port USB Type-C® Port
Communication​ Bluetooth® Ver5.1​
Battery​ Type: Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery​

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Metaphor: ReFantazio Won’t Have Romance Like Persona
Sitting at dinner with friends in Metaphor: ReFantazio
Read Article Niantic Acknowledges Issues With Pokemon GO Avatar Update: “We’re taking this seriously”
pokemon go avatar update
Read Article Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes’ Game-Breaking Recruitment Bug to Be Fixed in Upcoming Patch
Related Content
Read Article Metaphor: ReFantazio Won’t Have Romance Like Persona
Sitting at dinner with friends in Metaphor: ReFantazio
Read Article Niantic Acknowledges Issues With Pokemon GO Avatar Update: “We’re taking this seriously”
pokemon go avatar update
Read Article Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes’ Game-Breaking Recruitment Bug to Be Fixed in Upcoming Patch
Author
John Friscia
Former Managing Editor at The Escapist. I have been writing about video games since 2018 and editing writing on IT, project management, and video games for around a decade. I have an English degree, but Google was a more valuable learning resource. I taught English in South Korea for a year in 2018, and it was exponentially more fun than living in Pennsylvania. My major passions in life are SNES, Japanese RPGs, Berserk, and K-pop. I'm currently developing the game Boss Saga with my brother, which is guaranteed to change your life and you should buy it.