GTA IV Bad For Being Too Real?

Is GTA IV's quality taken away a bit for being waay to real, or going for realism? I don't myself prefer the slow driving mechanics, or horrible helicopter physics. I much prefer GTA LCS and all before that because things happen more quickly, you get on a bike quickly, you shoot quickly, you die quickly. In IV and Episodes the character dawdles forever before doing anything.

What do you guys think?

The more realistic a game becomes, the worse it will be.

That's my view. I don't play games to live in reality, I play games to escape reality. If I wanted to be in reality, I'd open my front door.

Lightslei:

That's my view. I don't play games to live in reality, I play games to escape reality. If I wanted to be in reality, I'd open my front door.

Wow, very well said *claps*.

Well parts of it yes.

The physics were particularly annoying when it came to driving.

Mainly its just the omission of many of the things that (in my opinion) made San Andreas so fun. Parachuting out of jets is great, just flying them is good. IV had neither.

Not that I thought it was a bad game, the storyline etc was great.
I just missed the rampant fun factor that made me come back to san andreas and vice city time and time again just to wreak havoc and have a generally great time.

Pretty much. The fun part of GTA was always the zany escapades, just how far out of reality you could be in a pseudo-real setting. GTA4 tries too hard to keep everything grounded so close to reality that even your crazy antics get bogged down by it.

It was way too realistic. If I want to go hijack a helicopter, land it on the Statue of Liberty and shoot rockets at boats from on top, I'll just do it in real life. Geez.

I liked the physics and controls in GTA IV better then in SA.
So, no, it's a matter of personal taste.

For the last time, GTA IV is not realistic.

You want realistic? Go play Mafia, you can get the cops on your arse for speeding.

Sure, it's slower paced but that doesn't make it realistic. I enjoyed the vehicle mechanics, I fucking loved flying the choppers in that game. It's bad for not including the extra stuff San Andreas had.

Real? The only part of GTA that was even remotely realistic is the graphics and the fact that some of the events in the game have actually happened. But its no different than what they put in movies that have realistic CG and take place in real places.

Please don't take that as flaming. I really just don't like it when people use the argument that video games are too realistic. Realistic games are very rarely fun. Do you think it would be fun to be play Call of Duty and getting shot by 1 or 2 bullets kills you instantly. Its not even that difficult on Veteran. When I can drive 100+ mph down the road, hit a tree, fly out the windshield, get back up, get in the same car, and drive away, realism is not the first thing that comes to mind. Maybe "that was fun as hell, I'm going to do it again."

No I don't think its bad for being too real. I think the only thing bad about that situation is when parents buy it for their children before they are ready for it, or without fully understanding the content of the game.

imahobbit4062:
For the last time, GTA IV is not realistic.

You want realistic? Go play Mafia, you can get the cops on your arse for speeding.

Sure, it's slower paced but that doesn't make it realistic. I enjoyed the vehicle mechanics, I fucking loved flying the choppers in that game. It's bad for not including the extra stuff San Andreas had.

Chill out. I asked if it was bad for going for realism.

Why do people complain about the helicopter physics? I can get one the news choppers under the bridge in central park.

Couldn't agree more. I actually made a thread a while back asking people why they liked GTA IV so much.

I always find it funny how developers advertise games as being so real, because in a game, it is NEVER going to be 100% realistic anyway.

No, it was great.

I say the lack of the awesome cheat codes from previous games is what ruined GTAIV for me, so I'm going to say yes. Going for realism kind of ruined the game, I still play it from time to time, but not nearly as much as it's predecessors.

I like games to be as realistic as possible, but add an completely unrealistic element to make it interesting. For example, I loved Crysis, because you could admire the photorealistic scenery, or throw a Korean into lower orbit, or both simultaneously.

I don't mind really realistic games, like ArmA or Silent Hunter, but I hate it when previously zany games try to be realistic and completely lose the atmosphere.

Which is exactly what happened with GTA 4. I dunno, perhaps it's the engine switch that did it, but it just felt sluggish to me, and all that was mad and colourful in San Andreas replaced by this false grit. I think it's trying to be taken seriously as a crime drama, which doesn't really make sense, because if it was in any way serious Niko wouldn't be able to kill a third of the amount of people he kills in that game without being easily caught and sent off to prison for the rest of his life. When it started trying to be realistic, it meant that the non-realistic parts stood out too much, breaking my suspension of disbelief.

I would have loved it, were it not for the fifteen minute or more commutes before and after every mission to gather armour and ammo again, save at your safehouse, and drive back to the mission zone. That's a bit too realistic... Let me save wherever I am, please.

I wouldn't say it killed the game or anything, but I do prefer Saint's Row, the same way I prefer Burnout to Gran Turismo. I like my action games arcadey and ridiculous, I suppose.

At first, I found the realism made the story more engrossing. But by the halfway point I was sick of the absence of all the little luxuries previous GTA games have led us to be familiar with.

Too realistic? Don't be silly, it wasn't going for realism, just a more mature theme, probably aimed at older GTA fans (GTA used to be about elvis impersonators and organized crime, not stereotypes steal jet packs). I hated, hated san andreaus, so while I didn't much like GTA 4, I felt it was a huge improvement, I sunk at least 20 hours into it before I got bored and ditched it.

It's odd to think of any game as too realistic. You die and return to life in a second or so. You slaughter a creature and buckets of blood and gore pour over you but the blood thankfully never soils your clothing. Committing indiscriminate mass murder will be forgiven within a cut scene. It never gets all that realistic. Reality is only fun in spurts. You drive a little faster than you should then slow down. You pocket a candy bar in a gas station and sweat for a few minutes as you leave wondering if they are about to chase you down. You consider briefly just taking off when that cop starts following you. In the end you don't.
GTA is very comfortable.

I find it odd that the complaint bounces between too much unrealistic scenarios that make kids go fruit loops and far too realistic that, of course, makes them cocoa puffs too.

They did go too real in GTA IV. Like we care about a simulation game in a purely fictional series,who the fuck allowed this game to be made like this?
I was hoping for a blend of reality and fictional physics to both gravity and characters.
But no,we get straight up realism,I hate it when developers experiment like this..

I didn't think they went too real with GTA4 at all. It was the right balance of fantasy and reality. The ragdoll physics and ridiculous plot lines were gone, but I could still kill 50 police officers with an RPG while riding on top of a moving train.

Although I agree it would be nice if Nico didn't contemplate the universe before opening a car door, I very much enjoyed the realism. It may not be what GTA has been in the past, but everything has stepping stones.

ScarecrowAlone:
Although I agree it would be nice if Nico didn't contemplate the universe before opening a car door, I very much enjoyed the realism. It may not be what GTA has been in the past, but everything has stepping stones.

Where do you think GTA is stepping to?

Yea pretty much.

Why would i play a game to revisit life? Screw that.

xXAsherahXx:

ScarecrowAlone:

Where do you think GTA is stepping to?

Dunno. Even though GTA has always been fully intended for "mature players", but up until IV it's all felt like it was purposefully made to be childish in its content. Like earlier posted on this thread, the jetpack in San Andreas (in fact, the whole mission line for that thing) unnecessarily strange, comical even. I got this vibe of playing around in a overly crude amusement park.

Vice City was serious, but Tommy was a rather horrible copy-paste of Tony Montana, and the game just felt kind of empty.

IV actually FELT mature. Suppressing a mobster ambush made me feel like a professional instead of a spastic bullet-spammer. I have high hopes that the next actual GTA game (not episode) will improve upon the obvious little bugs, and loosen up the driving system, but keep the serious elements that made Nico the grown-up in contrast to Carl, who made me think of a middle school child that thinks saying "fuck" at the beginning and end of every sentence makes them look cool.

I'm gonna stop writing before I make someone fall asleep. >_>

GTA IV has become more realistic in a number of ways, one of which is that you die a hell of a lot quicker from gunfire. The problem is, the game doesn't have a decent combat system to compensate for it - the combat is quite simply DISGUSTING. The auto-aim will aim you at a guy 50 feet away with a pistol and ignore the guy 2 paces away with a shotgun. headshots are virtually impossible excepting the sniper rifle, the cover is unintuitive and forces you to move slower than a goddamn sea cucumber, and you have to hold down/tap A to run/sprint, occupying your thumb so you can't look around at enemies - I mean what fucking sadist thought of that idea - why the fuck would we want to 'walk' in a game at all? let alone in the middle of a friggin firefight!

Lightslei:

Yeah. GTAIV lost a lot of it's appeal with it's new direction.
I probably would have enjoyed had been named anything else, but it wasn't GTA for me.

What annoys me about gta 4 is the irritatingly realistic way Niko controls, for example if you're in a car and want to shoot somebody theres a second long pause where Niko has to raises his arm. Also when you get knocked down it takes him about 3 seconds to get back up, while CJ from san andreas only took 1 second. Also having to tap the A button to go anywhere.... It just makes the game feel unnessecarily sluggish IMO. I like the nice touch but we should be able to skip the animations.

What I hate is the friendship system! I could not be arsed doing it, but because I dont I miss out on cool stuff like helicopter pick ups and what not... Its so annoying, its a game and it shouldnt feel like work!

I love those driving physics though! I started playing gta 4 and i hated them so much that i quit for a long time, but after i got my provisional driving licence and started driving a proper, real life car i realised how well they worked. I wish though that they would give players the option for the car physics to be either 'Gta 4 default,' 'San andreas style' or 'Realistic' (with proper gears and all. I want indicators! an internal car view!
And to be able to practice my three point turns in game!)

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked