Ever had a case of graphics awe?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

It probably doesn't seem so big anymore, but some of my first Xbox 360 games just made me think "Wow, that's some beautiful looking stuff." The first was when I first played Halo 3 single player. I had been at friends mooching playing his, but when in single player the graphics are so much more in your face and a lot less, oh look he just stuck you, ow.

Then when I got Oblivion I watched the intro and the whole view of the Imperial City was just amazing, especially since before then I was playing Morrowind, in which everything was very strictly polygons and the leveling made me throw my controller and hate pterodactyls.

Assassins Creed 1 & 2 (to a greater extent the second game). Looking out over those incredibly detailed cities.....I was almost speechless. A similar effect was gained from Red Dead Redemption.

Also, like somebody mentioned above, emerging from the vault/prison into the expanses of the wasteland/Cyrodill.

To go back even further, there was a time playing the first Unreal game. After working through your crashed prison ship, you emerge in a pleasent green valley. complete with a waterfall flowing down into a body of water. That probably marked the first time I stopped what I was meant to be doing in the game just to have a look around. As well as the first time I kicked the bucket in a game due to my eagerness to explore the environment...:)

T-Bone24:
Several times in Mass Effect 2 I stopped and didn't want to leave with how good it all looked.

Complete agreement, especially in the Overlord DLC.

Mikeyfell:
snip

really? honestly, I was more impressed by the first game, the second left me kind of down :/ not that it was bad, it just didnt seem to be as realistic as I wanted

OT: Shadow of the Colossus. I had to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

also, even though I havent played it yet, The Last Guardian gives me chills.

Batman also had me drooling the whole time. as well as Bioshock. and Oblivion. And Killzone 2 and God of War 3. Gears of war 2 was like "HOLY FUCK". and I guess... well the whole launch lineup I saw when I was still playing my ps2 and xbox and waiting for the next gen.

CrashBang:
I love a good case of graphics awe. I think it shows love and attention that's been put into the game and it helps immediately immerse me into the stunning world
My most recent case of graphics awe was when I first started playing Limbo yesterday. Seriously, it's such a pretty game! Everything from the film noir feel, the flickering corners of the screen to the fluid motion of the character and the physics. It really is an artistically beautiful game
Other games which have had that effect on me would be Bioshock (fairly obviously) and Fallout 3 (not the most graphically impressive game per se, but the atmosphere upon first leaving the vault is jaw-dropping)

A thousand times these though especially Limbo. It's funny that for a black and white sidescroller that's made to look like it's on a beaten up film reel (Obviously some kind of film produced by freaking Satan) the movement, art and camera was done to such a polish that it truly was...well, art.

For me, one of my favorites is The longest journey. Played it around 2001. Even though it didn't have full 3d graphics, it was still awesome playing that game.

metros ghosts and general atmosphere with the smoke and the whisps of plasma or w/e, very nice.

Nope. And I've seen Crysis on max settings.

I just don't have the "Awe" gene in me.

Far Cry 2. Game was pretty shit, but I'd be damned if I didn't say it wasn't pretty.

The first time I saw Crysis

The_Deleted:
[quote="Skorpyo" post="9.233228.8223904"]snip

Me too...and in Demon's souls as well.

Jfswift:

Skorpyo:
When I first stepped out of the vault in Fallout 3, not only was it breathtaking, but I realised that I had dreamed of a game this vast since I was 5.

Looked something like this:

I was thinking the same thing too, when you first step out of the vault and rub your eyes a bit. It's just like.. wow.

I put my 80 hours into FO3 and enjoyed the experience, but as far as scenery goes it has to be one of the most bland games ever. Brown, very little scenery aside from the occasional burned building.

Fallout 3 of course, the first time you step out of that vault you just go oh... my... god... then you run down the hill and run around in that radiation rich puddle. =D

FallenTraveler:

Mikeyfell:
snip

really? honestly, I was more impressed by the first game, the second left me kind of down :/ not that it was bad, it just didnt seem to be as realistic as I wanted

I didn't care about the Realism. MW1 just bored the hell out of me. but when I slid down that Ice wall in Cliffhanger my Jaw dropped.

I couldn't believe that a game I wrote off as a bland cash in to capitalize off the popularity of MW 1 turned out to be an absolutely stunning, cinematic, enthralling cash in to capitalize off the popularity of MW 1

godofallu:

Jfswift:

Skorpyo:
When I first stepped out of the vault in Fallout 3, not only was it breathtaking, but I realised that I had dreamed of a game this vast since I was 5.

I was thinking the same thing too, when you first step out of the vault and rub your eyes a bit. It's just like.. wow.

I put my 80 hours into FO3 and enjoyed the experience, but as far as scenery goes it has to be one of the most bland games ever. Brown, very little scenery aside from the occasional burned building.

Well what do you expect from an apocalypse? Everything to be intact and the grass is still growing? O_o

I can say that I do agree sometimes it does get a little bland but places like Oasis change that blandness for awhile.

Again Assassins Creed 2 but also Just Cause 2, Half-Life 2, Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Call me old if you want but I still think Oblivion looks pretty beautiful.

Skorpyo:

Seems a lot uf us agree on that one. Including me.

Shockolate:
Nope. And I've seen Crysis on max settings.

I just don't have the "Awe" gene in me.

I had the same thing running!

"Graphics? Whatever, as long as I can see what the hell is happening on the screen, I'm game..."

...then just recently, I caught myself actually going through all the possible emotes in FFXIV, again and again and again...

I... I think I'm in love!

The graphic demonstration of the Cry Engine 3. The forests looked almost real...

Fredrikorex:
Again Assassins Creed 2 but also Just Cause 2, Half-Life 2, Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Call me old if you want but I still think Oblivion looks pretty beautiful.

You're old. /jk

I'm with you on that one. I'm no longer "awed" by it, but I find those graphics still VERY visually pleasing. (I did get the high-res textures mod for it though...)

I can't think of anything that knocked my socks off since Riven.

godofallu:

Jfswift:

Skorpyo:

Yeah, that's what I thought. I thought nuclear war changed everything purple and red. Also, the buildings could've easily withstood massive explosions!

I remember the first time I loaded up the original Unreal Tournament demo my mind was completely blown. Not only was it easily the best looking game of its time, but it ran perfectly smooth even on the shitty computer I had! The maps Facing Worlds and Morpheus were beyond anything I'd seen before, both in the games demo. I *HAD* to buy it after that!

Later on UT2003 had much the same effect. Unfortunately UT3 never really had that effect... just too blurry and brown, whereas the original UT games were bright, vivid and imaginative. Ah well!

And of course most recently Crysis. If I turn the game up to its maximum the fans in my computer start going beserk, and I can practically *hear* my video card begging for mercy. But the payoff... wow. Hard to believe the game is two years old now, since it's still by far the most impressive game out there visually.

Though Mass Effect 2 looked damn good too and in terms of sheer awe-inspiring views puts up a good fight against Crysis... can't really think of anything else however.

My friend's computer running Team Fortress 2 looking gorgeous and with pretty much no lag. I am jealous.

Nannernade:

godofallu:

Jfswift:

Skorpyo:

Well what do you expect from an apocalypse? Everything to be intact and the grass is still growing? O_o

I can say that I do agree sometimes it does get a little bland but places like Oasis change that blandness for awhile.

I never said that isn't what I expected. I was just making the point that FO3 isn't exactly pretty.

Star Wars Rogue Leader made my eyes pop out of my head when it first appeared on Gamecube. It still holds up remarkably considering its 8 years old, and it was truly mind-boggling for the time.

Mikeyfell:
Modern Warfare 2

I know it's hypocritical of me considering all the hatred of mainstream FPS's I have pent up.
but while I was playing MW2 the Sheer outstanding-ness of the graphics combined with glorious visuials,

just blew my fucking mind

it made me completely forget that I had only started playing 6 hours ago

I agree with this.
But nothing can top the feeling of awe, joy and just stunning visuals that was the moment I stepped out of Vault 101 in Fallout 3.

Red Dead Redemption when you're in Tree Tops or on a cliff looking out.

Mass Effect, funnily enough:

Can't think of anything else that really made me pause like that. The first time I tried the Bioshock demo comes mighty close though, but that was not just a matter of graphics, it was simply every part of it made that my must play game at that moment.

Gran Turismo for the PSX.
The first time I ever saw 'good' realistic graphics in a game.
I was flabbergasted.

Hated the game itself though.

There first Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect 2 (Especially the into sequence at the beginning of the game).

For me it is Shadow of the Colossus. I love just riding around on my horse and looking at the scenery. Also Lost Planet 2 during the jungle levels and Fallout 3.

Not as amazing any more, but the D-Day level in Call of Duty 2 just used to be mindblowing:

Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 + Red Dead Redemption.
In those three games I just had moments where I had to stop what I was doing and just stare in awe.
To this day I fire up one of the AC-games just to climb somewhere high and take in the view..

Oh man. Abe's Oddysey, Castlevania: SotN, Silent Hill 2, Thief: Deadly Shadows, Age of Pirates 2, Condemned 2, Fable 2, Fallout 3.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked