RIFT VIP Key Giveaway

Pages 1 2 NEXT

RIFT VIP Key Giveaway

RIFT™ is the complete MMO experience you've been waiting for! Dynamic conflict and a revolutionary class system await you in this world besieged by the elemental planes. Want to try it out? Grab yourself a VIP key for their upcoming beta events and then meet us in-game to join The Escapist guild!

We have 5000 VIP keys to give away to our community members for the upcoming Beta events in RIFT. This is an MMO that should not be missed and the Beta events are only part of the fun. We have an Escapist guild on three different servers so it will be easy to get a group and jump into some of these exclusive beta events. If that isn't enough, each Beta event also gives you the chance to win some great prizes from Trion.

Invite your friends, invite your family and if you already have an account but you've been waiting for a VIP, get yours now! See you in-game!

To get your key, click here.

Wait, so this isn't based on the old PnP RPG Rifts?

GonzoGamer:

Nope, I thought so too.

Is this something different than what Pub club got earlier? At least I think it was pub, I signed up with a key from here...

Sweet. I wanted to try out the beta and see what this game had to offer. Come on beta key!

I am mucho intrigue-ohd (that's spanish right?). I need something to play now that FFXIV flopped. I will be applying for a learners permit, huzzah!

I liked the game enough to pre-order it. At first it felt like WoW, but after seeing the events that trigger (MASSIVE INVASIONS WOWOWOWOW those are fun), doing some dungeons, and playing with the character creation system, this game is simply solid. It's virtually bug free to boot.

I've played in every beta so far but one, and I've experienced two bugs, both visual. One was an NPC that was walking along a dock. The NPC was facing the sky but walking towards me. It corrected itself after it stopped. The other was invisible water in a battleground. Again, nothing game breaking.

PVP is fun. My warrior archetype felt tanky but could dish out damage plenty well. I still had to fear the burst damage characters as they could do a number to me, but I beat a majority of the sustained damage characters with my superior tankability and superior sustained damage. It felt fair.

In my experience it takes longer for casting to become interesting than it does in other games. IMHO they need to rethink some of the abilities, but overall it's very fun.

The class system is what makes the game shine though. I can make any character I want. Bloodmage from Vanguard? Check. Warrior with a pet who uses dots? Check. Any type of rogue type character imaginable? Check. Melee cleric? Check. It's... insane.

To give an idea of my impression after playing it...

I can easily see myself playing this game for a good year+ if the end game content is well made. If the starting dungeons are any indication of the content in the game, then I see this game having some of the best end game content in a game at launch ever. Period.

At first I wasn't impressed with the game, stating combat was slow, etc. After they adjusted the class system a little (more points earlier, 3 souls to pick from at pretty much the start), the game opened up and I just loved it.

The biggest down side is the linear quest system from 1-30 (I presume it's that way for the rest of the game). Being guided on a set path is zzz, but it does actually work pretty well with the rifts and invasions. It ensures that there are a good number of people in each zone to handle problems as they come up. Those problems make the game feel massive.

SPEAKING of massive, wow those 'events' are massive. Thousands of monsters and hundreds of players with little FPS lag (handles better than WoW on my machine with many more people, more spell effects, more monsters, and better (subjective here) graphics), and absolutely no net lag. It feels massive. This is the first MMO I've played since DAoC that's felt massive.

Although the solo content is easy, the dungeons and group content (it appears a little later) are fairly tough. It's no EQ level tough, but it's tough and fun enough to keep me interested when every other MMO that's come out, sans Champions Online (I like knocking enemies off of buildings with my huge hands, sue me), has kept me for a month.

Of course, my praise of this is just one persons opinion. I really like what I've seen so far. Big kudos for the game being practically bug free too.

ETA: I say 'events' because they aren't really events, they're triggered based on population in the zone. The more people in a zone the more likely they will occur. I also imagine that they won't occur with very few people in a zone because they do disrupt a lot of stuff.

I went through the submission process and received the following:

Thank you!
To participate in the upcoming RIFT beta event, just follow the instructions below. You'll receive your beta invite via email a few days before each event begins, so make sure to add '@trionworlds.com' to your Safe Senders list.
Go to https://account.RIFTgame.com to login or create a new account.
Click "Apply Code" on the left-hand navigation bar and enter your VIP key.
You're done! You will automatically be invited into the remaining beta events.
Note: If you apply a code during a beta event, you'll receive an invite shortly. Don't panic!

I don't see a VIP key though... is that going to get mailed or what? Thanks for any help.

Was the Beta Code supposed to appear when you entered your email and verified your age? All I got was this:

Thank you!

To participate in the upcoming RIFT beta event, just follow the instructions below. You'll receive your beta invite via email a few days before each event begins, so make sure to add '@trionworlds.com' to your Safe Senders list.

1. Go to https://account.RIFTgame.com to login or create a new account.
2. Click "Apply Code" on the left-hand navigation bar and enter your VIP key.
3. You're done! You will automatically be invited into the remaining beta events.

Note: If you apply a code during a beta event, you'll receive an invite shortly. Don't panic!

Will it show up in my email, or in a message here? Or did I get shafted and miss out on a beta key, as that would be sad.

Stratlin:
~snip~

Gaderael:
~snip~

Checking on this for you. If you don't receive one by Monday, please post it here so I can get you one.

Spinwhiz:

Stratlin:
~snip~

Gaderael:
~snip~

Checking on this for you. If you don't receive one by Monday, please post it here so I can get you one.

Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's...Spinwhiz!

Looks like a couple people are having this problem but those who have revisited the contest page and refreshed it seemed to have received it. However, if you still don't have one by Monday, please post it here.

Thanks,
Spinwhiz

Installing, hope my laptop does not explode.

Rigs83:

My thoughts exactly. Fingers crossed.

Oh wow, I can't believe I forgot that I had this beta from Pub-Club, I could've been playing this game since December...*facepalm*

voetballeeuw:

Rigs83:

My thoughts exactly. Fingers crossed.

First message after downloading the client and patch (took eight hours!) was tat my card was out of date and it will negatively effect the gameplay. Slashed the resolution in half and hope it's enough to get it run. I'll find out on Tuesday.

Spinwhiz:

GonzoGamer:

Nope, I thought so too.

Too bad. I liked Rifts. It was much more malleable than D&D.
That's the main thing I think RPGs (and especially MMOs) are missing now-a-days: the ability for a player to become the Game/Dungeon-Master. The games are sophisticated enough to allow something like that, why hasn't it been done yet.
And I don't mean making a player do serious programming/modding or anything but give them the ability to set up quests/campaigns and control them on the fly.

I still dont have a code :/

Spinwhiz:
Looks like a couple people are having this problem but those who have revisited the contest page and refreshed it seemed to have received it. However, if you still don't have one by Monday, please post it here.

Thanks,
Spinwhiz

Thank! It worked like a charm.

GonzoGamer:

Spinwhiz:

GonzoGamer:

Nope, I thought so too.

Too bad. I liked Rifts. It was much more malleable than D&D.
That's the main thing I think RPGs (and especially MMOs) are missing now-a-days: the ability for a player to become the Game/Dungeon-Master. The games are sophisticated enough to allow something like that, why hasn't it been done yet.
And I don't mean making a player do serious programming/modding or anything but give them the ability to set up quests/campaigns and control them on the fly.

I thought the same thing too. There were times when I definitely preferred it over D&D. It really did a good job of laying out character customization rules. Want to be a Ninja Turtle? There are rules for that. Want to be the T1000? Poof! Here's your character sheet.

I've been interested in testing out the PvP in this game. Also, how should we contact the escapist guild to get an invite?

The code showed up for me, after I hit the submit button on the sign up thing on the escapist - now I just need the invite from Rift to show up in my inbox.

cheers.

I liked the game enough to pre-order it. At first it felt like WoW, but after seeing the events that trigger (MASSIVE INVASIONS WOWOWOWOW those are fun)

I hope they never get old for you, because you're going to be grinding those to have a chance at some decent rewards.

Game ain't bad, just a pile of copy-pasted mediocrity. The imbashit "soul system" is just another way of saying "choose your 3 talent trees", the rifts are like dumb open dungeon events that WILL get old no matter what people say about them, and everything else is WoW. Everything except the story and the atmosphere, which are dull and uninteresting.

poiumty:

I liked the game enough to pre-order it. At first it felt like WoW, but after seeing the events that trigger (MASSIVE INVASIONS WOWOWOWOW those are fun)

I hope they never get old for you, because you're going to be grinding those to have a chance at some decent rewards.

Game ain't bad, just a pile of copy-pasted mediocrity. The imbashit "soul system" is just another way of saying "choose your 3 talent trees", the rifts are like dumb open dungeon events that WILL get old no matter what people say about them, and everything else is WoW. Everything except the story and the atmosphere, which are dull and uninteresting.

that may be the case but with the refined class system i see it being a lot easier for them to balance the game. and thus be able to spend more time creating features people want. (rather than blizzards endless cycle of unbalancing and rebalancing the classes between pve/pvp use)

so can we not download the game till we get the beta invite email?

At first I was like, "Holy shit, RIFT. Isn't that that awesome FPS that's set on a massive boat and has parkor inspired movement!" And then I was like, "Oh. Yeah I'm thinking of Brink aren't I..."

poiumty:

Well that's just it. The game has everything WoW has, and more. So why everybody wouldn't switch to this is beyond me.

It has a much more flexible/customizable class system, better graphics, and faster-paced, more action-oriented combat. As well as the ability to quest, run through instances, chase Rifts/Rift events, or PvP...all of which are viable ways to gain XP and levels.

WoW simply took a lot of ideas from Everquest, improved and polished them, and then added some its own stuff (a guided quest experience running from level 1 to max). So now Rift comes along, takes a lot of ideas that WoW perfected over several years, and adds a bunch of its own stuff. That's progress for you.

Because of latency issues, there's only so much that can be done in terms of change with the MMORPG genre. In that regard, if you have enjoyed other MMORPGs and are looking for a new one, you aren't going to do any better than RIFT. If you're looking for a more heavily-instanced experience with new ideas, something along the lines of Guild Wars 2 would probably be more fitting.

Xzi:

poiumty:

Well that's just it. The game has everything WoW has, and more. So why everybody wouldn't switch to this is beyond me.

It has a much more flexible/customizable class system, better graphics, and faster-paced, more action-oriented combat. As well as the ability to quest, run through instances, chase Rifts/Rift events, or PvP...all of which are viable ways to gain XP and levels.

WoW simply took a lot of ideas from Everquest, improved and polished them, and then added some its own stuff (a guided quest experience running from level 1 to max). So now Rift comes along, takes a lot of ideas that WoW perfected over several years, and adds a bunch of its own stuff. That's progress for you.

Because of latency issues, there's only so much that can be done in terms of change with the MMORPG genre. In that regard, if you have enjoyed other MMORPGs and are looking for a new one, you aren't going to do any better than RIFT. If you're looking for a more heavily-instanced experience with new ideas, something along the lines of Guild Wars 2 would probably be more fitting.

a simple word. population.

Thats the single reason most people play wow. is because no matter when your on there WILL be people to play with. Thats a tall order for any mmo to step to.

bahumat42:

Xzi:

poiumty:

a simple word. population.

Thats the single reason most people play wow. is because no matter when your on there WILL be people to play with. Thats a tall order for any mmo to step to.

That doesn't make much sense. Any MMO can (and generally does) have several full servers. Maybe not as many as WoW, but if your server is fully populated, there will always be people to play with.

WoW didn't get popular over night, after all. At launch there wasn't the 24/7 presence of other players, so clearly that's not what drew its huge base in. It was the polish and crisp functionality of the game. Until WoW, MMOs seemed rather sluggish and hard to get in to.

Besides, with cross-realm features becoming the norm, it's less of an issue.

I received a code for VIP access just before this beta 5 event and at first.. I wasn't keen. I went on and made a warrior and was immediately overwhelmed by what soul to pick, after a bit of a look around I went with void knight and set off. I was a little annoyed because I discovered that I had just picked a rogue from WoW, and then quickly enough I was introduced to picking my second soul, paladin. It gave me the skills from the paladin skillset on top of my own, which were just about the same identicle skills to what I already had. So I got bored and left. I then came back and gave it a further go with a mage, got up to 8 or so and it seemed alright. I'd definately just taken a dislike to the talent system without looking to the future and thought "yeah you can get some good combos with this". Though playing a mage got a little boring and I left that too. To cut the story shorter than it could be, I chose a cleric (druid/justicar/shaman mix) which it simply something that can be healed from attacking and do a few little heals, it matched my kinda playing style.

Now, it is very much like WoW. Throughout the Beta everyone was either crying that it was a duplicate of WoW, or people trying to deny it was.. both sides of which was annoying. I've played a few MMOs before and they have been a bit different, but Rift has the same layout, settings, text, and.. well let's just say that you can have something that looks similar to something then something that's gone out of it's way to look like something, hell even the key bindings are practically identicle.

I did quests, which were pretty boring. They were like warcraft but just not as deep, not so much quest chains as just random quests, generally telling you to go back to the exact same place a few times. While you may get this a bit in WoW, you generally get a few quests which go to one place at the same time then a quest chain that tells you to go somewhere else. Rift is different and simply wants you to visit each little breadcrumb trail at least twice.

The rift openings were good, they didn't get in the way but they were everywhere and were fairly frequent, allowing you to quickly team up with people who are near the event with a simple click and a pretty exciting set of battles. Throughout the levels this did not get boring for me, and I think I probably got a few levels from this alone, as I got tired during the questing. You also get these planar items of different qualities which you can save up and use them to buy armour from faction vendors. Unfortunately I have to compare this to WoW again and say it's very similar to the whole undead events leading up to the first opening of Naxxramas.

The PvP was also good, you can get killed pretty quickly and there were balancing issues but that's expected with these games.. I still found it fun. The first one you get into is very much like Warsong Gulch (WoW) meets Oddball (Halo), and it damages you which tends to stop the player from just running back to their base and safeguarding it, as they usually die and it resets to the middle of the battlefielg. There was then The Codex which became available which again is just like WoW's Arathi Basin. Unfortunately i didn't get to experience world PvP on this PvP server.. Oh and you can also level doing PvP which is a fantasic feature if you want to take a break from questing, sure people who like to make low level alts and put the best gear on them will be disapointed when they get levelled up into a higher bracket, but the PvP should be for everyone.

I can't fault the first dungeon, I've enjoyed these things on other games and liked the fact that people don't have to just be a solid healer in this. Together as a group I had some skills that helped with healing, mainly from damage done, the rogue had some healing from his bard soul, the mage had something and the warrior had an Oh SHI-Full HP skill, as well as the mage's pet AND another warrior being to offtank if necessary. I know this is easily done in a lower level dungeon, but if they keep this up in most dungeons through the game then I'd applaud them.

I really got into it as the beta was ending, though I actually feel like there's not much else for me to play! I only reached level 25 but I hope for everyones sake that the levelling slows right down and they've got a lot of end game in store. There are people who are huge fans and would eat their dog to prove it's better than WoW and everyone should switch to it, but it was no different when Age of Conan came out. I hope this one is successful though, not just survivable but really successfull.

One downside is that the defiant female guards wear no underwear! - http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?39214-Pantyless-guards-Shame-on-you-Trion (probably NSFW heheh)

bahumat42:

poiumty:

that may be the case but with the refined class system i see it being a lot easier for them to balance the game. and thus be able to spend more time creating features people want. (rather than blizzards endless cycle of unbalancing and rebalancing the classes between pve/pvp use)

Wait what? How is it easier to balance the game with that class system? Because there will always be FOTM combos and classes nobody gets because they're worthless. Dubbing some trees "pve" and some trees "pvp" won't help with this. I know it seems like more variety, but trust me, it won't work as well as they imagine and it's a nightmare to balance relative to all the other combos (where nerfing a class, or "soul", adversely affects all classes that can combo with it).

Xzi:

3 reasons:
1. There are people who have quit WoW because they are bored of it. These people want something new, not the exact same thing.
2. Being already established in WoW with a horde of max level characters, reputation and friends isn't worth starting completely over in a not-so-different game.
3. It doesn't have "everything wow has". The story, for one, is generic and bland. Being a MMO with zero age, it lacks content that WoW has developed over the years (more professions, more battlegrounds, bigger world, more dungeons). And i've never experienced phasing in it, so i don't think it has that either.

poiumty:

bahumat42:

poiumty:

Wait what? How is it easier to balance the game with that class system? Because there will always be FOTM combos and classes nobody gets because they're worthless. Dubbing some trees "pve" and some trees "pvp" won't help with this. I know it seems like more variety, but trust me, it won't work as well as they imagine and it's a nightmare to balance relative to all the other combos (where nerfing a class, or "soul", adversely affects all classes that can combo with it).

it means they can just tweak the pvp aspects. Because PVE effectiveness is easy to control by dropping or raising numbers, but if that same build has to be considered for use in PVP it adds a layer of unnecessary complications for the designers.

bahumat42:

poiumty:

bahumat42:

it means they can just tweak the pvp aspects. Because PVE effectiveness is easy to control by dropping or raising numbers, but if that same build has to be considered for use in PVP it adds a layer of unnecessary complications for the designers.

I think you're really underestimating how hard balancing an MMO this huge is. This isn't different from WoW, however, whose specs are more suited for a certain type of gameplay (see the mage class, for instance), but WoW adjusts its specs every time and tries to make them viable, while dubbing one spec as "pvp only" is in contradiction to the philosophy of variety that the soul system works upon. In short, if every class X will use the same soul combo in, say, pvp, then the variety takes a huge step downwards because the number of actual classes you'll play against is 4. This simplifies pvp and makes it more repetitive. In a more favorable case, they'll come up with, say, 2 combos per class, which is still less than the actual number of classes WoW has. Same for PvE: every tank (for instance) will be a paladin/rift knight(?)/Reaver combo, as opposed to WoW which has 4 viable and completely different tank classes.

poiumty:

bahumat42:

poiumty:

I think you're really underestimating how hard balancing an MMO this huge is. This isn't different from WoW, however, whose specs are more suited for a certain type of gameplay (see the mage class, for instance), but WoW adjusts its specs every time and tries to make them viable, while dubbing one spec as "pvp only" is in contradiction to the philosophy of variety that the soul system works upon. In short, if every class X will use the same soul combo in, say, pvp, then the variety takes a huge step downwards because the number of actual classes you'll play against is 4. This simplifies pvp and makes it more repetitive. In a more favorable case, they'll come up with, say, 2 combos per class, which is still less than the actual number of classes WoW has. Same for PvE: every tank (for instance) will be a paladin/rift knight(?)/Reaver combo, as opposed to WoW which has 4 viable and completely different tank classes.

yeah but a lot of those classes are bloat. I could happily live without the death knight for example. And holy priest healy/holy pala healing are very simmilar. Im all for extra variation where it effects gameplay but wow does have a large amount of overlap (with every tank class getting the same situationals now). Now i can't speak about pvp so much, but having less classes means theirs less chance of a class being imba or under powered at any time. (while not having expereince) this much as a pve player, i hear about it all the time.)

bahumat42:

yeah but a lot of those classes are bloat. I could happily live without the death knight for example.

That's just, like, your opinion, man. The death knight is the only class that can tank without a shield and the only class with a spell to bring an opponent to him. Additionally, strong melee life drain, area damage over time and so forth. As for the paladin/priest example, there's several key elements that differ between the core gameplay of each. I guess you could boil WoW down to 3-4 basic classes if you're so inclined, but it's the number of viable options that make the game varied and interesting. As for overlap, i've counted at least 3 Bladestorm or Bladestorm-like skills in Rift. On different classes, even.

Now i can't speak about pvp so much, but having less classes means theirs less chance of a class being imba or under powered at any time.

It's a general truth that the simpler your game is, the more easy it is to balance. But the simpler a game, the easier you get bored of it.

How long did it take for everybody else to get their key after activating the code on the rift site?

poiumty:
3 reasons:
1. There are people who have quit WoW because they are bored of it. These people want something new, not the exact same thing.
2. Being already established in WoW with a horde of max level characters, reputation and friends isn't worth starting completely over in a not-so-different game.
3. It doesn't have "everything wow has". The story, for one, is generic and bland. Being a MMO with zero age, it lacks content that WoW has developed over the years (more professions, more battlegrounds, bigger world, more dungeons). And i've never experienced phasing in it, so i don't think it has that either.

1. It is something new, but something WoW players are used to at the same time. WoW doesn't have RIFT's graphics, class customization, or dynamic content. WoW didn't even have everything WoW currently has until just a few years ago, either.

2. Having friends, a guild, and etc is always an issue, but given time, all of those people will eventually transition into the new game as well if they feel familiar with it and welcomed by it. And with RIFT, every WoW player should feel these things. It's not hard to get in to, and once you do, there's a lot of depth there that wasn't present in the same way in WoW.

3. The story in WoW was worse than generic and bland. It entirely wrecked all of the GOOD story elements that the Warcraft universe had going for it before World of Warcraft. "Hey everybody, let's go kill every all-powerful god in the Warcraft universe for PURPLEZZ! Surely twenty of us will be enough despite these characters having killed thousands of enemy combatants at the same time in the past with little trouble! OHNOES, DEATHWING IS BEING RESURRECTED FOR THE EIGHTH TIME!" So if a bad story is excuse enough for you to hate an MMO, WoW should be the target of all of your ire.

We don't know that WoW has more of anything at this point. The level cap for beta phase 5 was 30, so we didn't get to experience even half of the game's dungeons or battlegrounds. From what I could tell, however, there were just as many professions as in WoW without all the overlap, and the game world was larger than vanilla WoW...possibly larger than WoW and BC combined. One freaking zone was the size of two or three of WoW's put together.

The funny thing about it is that I'm hardly a huge fan of any MMO these days. If I do end up buying RIFT, there won't be any pre-order involved, and I will have given a fair shot to a few other games first (TOR, Earthrise, Black Prophecy). But even given this information, I can see from an objective point of view that RIFT has a bright future ahead of it. I've never played an MMORPG beta as polished as RIFT is at this point, and I've been in a lot of them. It took WoW roughly five years and two expansions to reach the level that RIFT is at, and even then it was starting to feel dated. Now even more so. It's just the natural evolution of the genre. WoW took several ideas and features from MMOs that came before it, polished them, and added some of its own stuff. Now RIFT has taken the ideas and features that WoW has refined over the years, polished them even further, and added some of its own stuff as well.

poiumty:
it means they can just tweak the pvp aspects. Because PVE effectiveness is easy to control by dropping or raising numbers, but if that same build has to be considered for use in PVP it adds a layer of unnecessary complications for the designers. I think you're really underestimating how hard balancing an MMO this huge is. This isn't different from WoW, however, whose specs are more suited for a certain type of gameplay (see the mage class, for instance), but WoW adjusts its specs every time and tries to make them viable, while dubbing one spec as "pvp only" is in contradiction to the philosophy of variety that the soul system works upon. In short, if every class X will use the same soul combo in, say, pvp, then the variety takes a huge step downwards because the number of actual classes you'll play against is 4. This simplifies pvp and makes it more repetitive. In a more favorable case, they'll come up with, say, 2 combos per class, which is still less than the actual number of classes WoW has. Same for PvE: every tank (for instance) will be a paladin/rift knight(?)/Reaver combo, as opposed to WoW which has 4 viable and completely different tank classes.

Not at all true. From my experience thus far, all you need is one tank soul in order to tank effectively. So, either Paladin or Void Knight, and your other two souls can be any combination of offensive or support.

I started counting all the possible tank combinations for the Warrior archetype in RIFT, but stopped when I reached sixteen. That's already well over the number of possible tanks (with tank talents) available in WoW. And the Warrior archetype is not the only one that can tank, either. Selecting the right combination of souls as a Cleric could certainly do the trick.

See, the difference here is that it's possible to reach the "ultimate" or final talent in RIFT in two of your souls with the number of points given. Whereas in WoW, you'll be lucky to get down a talent tree halfway after maxing out another at your highest level.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked