RIFT Beta Community Event Announced

RIFT Beta Community Event Announced

RIFT™ is the complete MMO experience you've been waiting for! Dynamic conflict and a revolutionary class system await you in this world besieged by the elemental planes. RIFT is now open to all users for its final beta event, Telara the Merciless, and The Escapist has a guild on two different servers with two different factions to show the world of Telara what we are made of!

Since RIFT is now open to the public for their final beta event, we want to host an event on two different servers. If you would like to play as a Guardian, head over to the Byriel server and get an invite into The Escapist Guild. For those of you who would like to play as the Defiant, jump on to the Wolfsbane server and get an invite into the Zero Punctuation Guild. Our goal is to have a lot of fun with our community, as well as show everyone in Telara our combined might! While you don't have to PvP, there is a way to flag ourselves, just in case we want to wreck shop across two different servers. Keep reading on the rules of participation and how to get your free RIFT account from Trion.

This event begins today at 1PM ET and runs through February 21st at 1PM ET. For all the rules of participation and how to get yourself into the beta, click here. Grab your gear, it's time to wreck shop.

I would love to join in, but I've my own Guild to attend to in Silkweb. Buuuuut, open-beta is for the next 6 days, so maybe I'll have some free time to pop on over on Byriel.

I'd be all over this, but I probably won't have a good internet plan for a little while longer... Just as soon as my mate moves in, and we find jobs, then we can get an internet plan... If that happens sooner than expected, I'll join for the finale or something. Promise.

If I am to believe most people I've talked too who bought this game just for the RIFT weapons in TF2 then this is not the complete MMO experience you've been waiting for!
More dull and boring is what I've heard.

Anyone try it yet? Is it tryable?

I looked at the class webpage, they have "Marksman" and "Ranger" under the same thing for Rouges; as in what you can advance to. Each "main class" has 7 other classes to become. It's too much to balance. I don't forsee it working out to well. A lot of the classes over lap too. Aren't Druid and Shaman nearly the same thing, as far as MMO's go? And why would you have a pyromancer, a thunderweaver (some kind of lighting class) and then have an elementist? Wouldn't an elementist have the ability to control all of it?

Just seems like the developers were trying to make it BIG and COOL looking. While I'm sure it delivers basic MMO material, its not for me.

Sticking to GW 2.

I have played the last two betas. As far as MMO's go, it is not "unqiue", but it is evolutionary in respect to great service, incredible development and a stable, polished game. They took little bits of various MMO's and created an all in one game.

If you like WoW, EQ2, etc...but, want a new shiny version of it with a well done game world...then you cannot lose in Rift.

Check out their live events system and the Public quest style Rift invasions. Incredible fun.

Made the account with the link provided, but ain't getting no stiiiinkin' beta access. Boo! :P

I'm going to need some volunteers who will log in at 1PM ET today to create the Zero Punctuation guild. I need 3 people, any takers? You must be playing Defiant on Wolfsbane.

Please let me know, thanks!

Polock:

I looked at the class webpage, they have "Marksman" and "Ranger" under the same thing for Rouges; as in what you can advance to. Each "main class" has 7 other classes to become. It's too much to balance. I don't forsee it working out to well. A lot of the classes over lap too. Aren't Druid and Shaman nearly the same thing, as far as MMO's go? And why would you have a pyromancer, a thunderweaver (some kind of lighting class) and then have an elementist? Wouldn't an elementist have the ability to control all of it?

Just seems like the developers were trying to make it BIG and COOL looking. While I'm sure it delivers basic MMO material, its not for me.

Sticking to GW 2.

I was in there a few times. It's ok but just very much WoW with a gimmick that an army of assholes who are more powerful than you can just basically pop up in the middle of you trying to do a quest and fuck up your day.

Rift was fun in the betas but from my experience in its alpha it just looses its shine when there aren't enough players around. This is the most population-dependent game i have played since Warhammer Online and simply isn't fun when there is nobody to close a rift with. The game is otherwise a rehash of current trends with shiny new graphics. If youre into that, do give it a try while you can still do it for free, but i don't think the game will last long.

Bah should have been Defiants on Byriel, thats where my 21 Warrior from the last beta is. Oh well maybe I can kill a few Escapist Guardians who flag.

*"You have not yet been invited to a beta event."
*Um I followed the instructions.

**Nevermind, there was a second email with the access.

Quick update, Kuliania is on the Wolfsbane server for the Zero Punctuation guild. Send him a tell to get an invite as a Defiant. On the Byriel server, there are a bunch of people who can invite you, just send one a tell!

I'm with some of the other posters. The game is decent (and I can't complain about a free beta key, thanks!) but it really doesn't seem to offer much that's new. I'm only going off of the 15 or so levels I played in the last beta event (and someone on another forum assured me it gets better after level 20, take that for what you will), but I found the race selection to be lackluster and the lore didn't really capture my imagination. Quests are standard MMO fare and the class system is okay, though I wish there were a more visible differentiation between classes. That's one thing I noticed: early on just about everyone looks the same shade of brown and grey.

I feel like I could get into it if I was hankering something a little meatier than Champions to tide me over until TOR, but it doesn't feel like it has quite what I'm looking for. Still, I'll probably fire it up tonight after work and give it another go.

IMHO it's good stuff. Not anything spectacularly new, as others have pointed out, but a marked improvement over WoW. If you're itching to fill the MMO gap in your life until titles such as TOR and Guild Wars 2 are released, it's definitely worth a shot.

I pre-ordered it for just that reason, and I wasn't going to spend any more time leveling up a beta character, but I'm willing to join in for this event. Especially since no place around here has Marvel vs Capcom 3 available for rent yet, lol.

Zero Punctuation guild is now up and rolling on Wolfsbane. Send a tell to Kuliania for an invite. As more people join that guild, please post your name below so others can send you a tell for an invite.

Rift is a good damn game. Yeah there isn't a whole lot thats new, granted, however it does take what is good from other games and uses all that to make a good solid game.
Guess, its time to roll on Byriel, see you there toomuchnothing.

Polock:

Sticking to GW 2.

You're completely wrong about how the class system works in Rift.

You pick a class to begin with: Rogue, Mage, Warrior, Cleric. Then, you pick your first soul out of 8 options, which is what your class really is. Are you an assassin rogue, a marksman rogue, a tanking rogue, a teleporting rogue, etc. You then play through the instanced starting area, and as you progress you pick two additional souls to have. Each soul works like a talent tree from WoW, except that by putting more points into a tree, you unlock more abilities at the bottom of the tree, along with whatever you unlock with your points. Effectively, this gives the player a ridiculous amount of depth in customizing their class to play however they want to. Each class can do almost everything, and you'll be able to have 4 different 3 soul combinations available to switch between whenever you're out of combat.

Wow they sure are generous with the usernames:

Polock:

Sticking to GW 2.

You're completely wrong about how the class system works in Rift.

You pick a class to begin with: Rogue, Mage, Warrior, Cleric. Then, you pick your first soul out of 8 options, which is what your class really is. Are you an assassin rogue, a marksman rogue, a tanking rogue, a teleporting rogue, etc. You then play through the instanced starting area, and as you progress you pick two additional souls to have. Each soul works like a talent tree from WoW, except that by putting more points into a tree, you unlock more abilities at the bottom of the tree, along with whatever you unlock with your points. Effectively, this gives the player a ridiculous amount of depth in customizing their class to play however they want to. Each class can do almost everything, and you'll be able to have 4 different 3 soul combinations available to switch between whenever you're out of combat.

Well that does sound better. Actually sounds much better, but still, the game doesn't interest me so much. The last MMO I bought was AION, and while beautiful, and great combat animation, the game got so ridiculously boring at the lvl 20-25'ish mark. Copious amounts of grinding and every. single. quest. was kill 10 of X monster. Then 20 more of the harder ones.

If this game isn't like that, I stand corrected.

This sounds like an MMO I'd really like, but then again it's an MMO, so it's evil and would take my time and money, on a monthly basis.

I'm divided into two.

Holy packed servers batman. Every single one of the 20 some odd US servers are flirting between HIGH and FULL.

30 Minute wait to join Wolfsbane. This better be worth it. I'm gonna suck until I get my Razer Naga configured.

Polock:

Well that does sound better. Actually sounds much better, but still, the game doesn't interest me so much. The last MMO I bought was AION, and while beautiful, and great combat animation, the game got so ridiculously boring at the lvl 20-25'ish mark. Copious amounts of grinding and every. single. quest. was kill 10 of X monster. Then 20 more of the harder ones.

If this game isn't like that, I stand corrected.

I've been through AION and it fell flat on it's face at the exact same level range as what you mentioned. Rift, on the other hand, seems to have the potential to keep me interested, at least until something with more depth and a higher chance to support an active RP community comes along (read: I am waiting for SWTOR and need something to keep me entertained until then).

You might want to give it a shot if you can download the beta client.

The fact that they mashed up working mechanics from other MMOs is a benefit, not a negative trait.

Once Spinwhiz is on Byriel and Kulania is on Wolfsbane, we'll let you know. Should be around 1:30PM ET this afternoon.

My beta main is a Guardian on Faeblight, but this sounds fun! Ill be heading to Wolfsbane to roll a Defiant this time around.

Spinwhiz is currently in-game on Byriel and Kuliania is currently in-game on Wolfsbane. Send a tell for an invite please. Will be logging off at approximately 5PM ET.

I'm Xzi on Byriel. Somewhat goofy looking Dwarf. I'll message you in-game if possible, otherwise just throw me an invite whenever.

The only revolutionary aspect of the game is the class system. Even then, it's taking Guild Wars' feel for having a custome class to a new level.

However, not all custome classes work well. Especially with mages. A stormcaller with Pyromancer is a very bad choice. Stormcaller is Water and Air magic, Pyromancer is Fire magic. The mechanics of the two mage classes also pidgeon hole you into using one or the others' offensive magic spells. Casting Air and Fire spells in combination will make you very very innefficient. As a result, pretty much every mage class takes elementalist as a secondary as its talents are genertic enough and you get a pet.

I suppose that's the draw back of the customization of classes. You only pick your secondary class not because you want to play that class as well, but because the passive bonuses support your main class well, or you gain a certain ability at the start that's useful.

I've been playing about with class builds. I've only found two combinations that you really do make use of the abilies of the secondary specc.

Marksmanship/Assasination (Poison, stealth and dealing bleed damage when you crit).
Chloromancer/Warlock (Go some distance into Warlock to gain the spell that turns health into mana. This works well to solve the Chloromancer's mana issues. It also great as the Chloromancer is a healer-dps. Like shadowpriest in WoW. The health loss to gain mana is easily recovered).

The game does suggest recommended classes to accompany your main one, but it is best to "browse" the other ones to find the one that suites you. Also use trial and error. On my bard, I chose a soul that'd buff my damage. But then later on I realised I'd be spending alot of time using healing/supportive abilties, so having better suriviability was better than deal a smidgen more damage.

You only need 4 characters at most. Though you get your first 3 souls early on in the game, you can unlock the other 5 later on via quests (above level 12).
You get 4 "roles" which are like the speccs in WoW. You can pick a role from any of the 3 classes you have available. 4 roles is enough.

1 Tank role
1 Support role
1 Ranged DPS role
1 Melee DPS role

The only classes that can't have all 4 is Mage and Warrior. So if you like a handful of different rogue types. Like I enjoy Marksmanship, Bard, and Assasination. Save up to unlock a total of 3 roles, specc each one to the desired class and just switch between them upon whim when leveling up/pvping/rifting what ever. You have no excuse to be bored inless you genuinly hate your class' core mechanics.

That is what I have also noticed about the classes. Each of the 4 classes has a distinct mechanic.

Mage - Mana and a Charge Bar. The charge bar fills up when casting, and can be used when using certain abilities. Chloromancer can buff their damage while draining it. Pyromancer can use it to gain the next X spells to have a significant mana cost decrease.

Rogue - Energy and Combo points. Eneregy constantly regenerates and you use combo points to use finishers.

Warrior - Energy and a kind of Combo point. Unlike the rogue, the combo points appear on yourself, and it's only 3 at the most. They're spent on finishers as well.

Cleric - Mana and cooldowns. I've only played the melee and tank clerics (aswell as cabalist). But, they rely on abilties having cooldowns and being instant cast. If you enjoy priority queues for abilities, you'll love playing a cleric.

As stated earlier, almost all the classes can have a Tank/Melee DPS/Ranged DPS/Healer role. So, pick the class with the mechanic you like, and try to malform your class into the role you want. Mages have no tank or melee dps speccs (officially). Warriors have no healer and ranged dps speccs (officially).

The problem with having this much freedom on what you want to be, some very freaky builds can appear that are game breaking. So, if you come across a build that's ZOMG AMAZING, don't be too disgruntled if you find it getting nerfed.

Well, other than the class system, there's the dynamic Rifts/Rift events/invasion events. To my knowledge none of these things have been in any MMO before, at least not in the form they take in RIFT. They definitely keep things interesting when the quest treadmill starts to get monotonous. It's insanely hectic, group-based fun. I love it when MOBs actually capture cities or quest hubs for a period of time, and these things make world PvP zones a blast. It almost plays more like DotA than an MMO like WoW with Wintergrasp.

It will eventually get old, like ALL MMOs do, but it's one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had with the genre, even counting the just getting started phase in other MMOs.

Oh, and Warriors can have a third meta-game mechanic if you choose Rift Knight, BTW. Called Pacts. You get a bunch of abilities that manage these in different ways.

Some great builds that I've found:
Chloromancer/Archon Mage
Stormcaller/Elementalist Mage
Beastmaster goes well with most offensive souls for Warrior if looking for a pet
Riftstalker/Bladedancer Rogue
What seems to be the most overpowered PvP-wise, but I believe was already nerfed is the Cabalist/Inquistor Cleric

Here's a Soul planner, although I'm not sure it's 100% up to date: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html

Rift surpassed my expectations and im only level 8 lol Gonna keep tryingit out hope to see more Guardians on Byriel!

I lied, I'm apparently just too impatient! Thanks!

For the release (as well as the headstart), is there anything like this still going on? I'm planning on moving to RIFT (have played several other MMOs, but Rift does seem grand) but I can't seem to get my friends to move on to it with me, so having a decent guild would be great.

I'm EU, so that would be prefered of course, though I suppose I could go US if the lag isn't that bad (I haven't tried the US-servers yet), and PvP-server would be cool.

If anyone has anything to suggest to me, please PM me :)

Oh. The beta event ends in just under three hours. Guess there was no point in me applying for it then...

Hey uh, does anyone need that TF2 code for RIFT that gives you a hat for you character? I dont plan on buying RIFT so i dont really have a use for it.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked