The most disturbing thing you've seen in gaming.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The bit in Condemned: Bloodshot where you enter that room, look around for a bit and then round and a row of mannequins has appeared out of no-where, just standing in a line looking at you, and if you move further through the room, every time you look back their in a different spot or slightly closer. Jesus, I was so freaked out I sat in the room's corner aiming at them for 30 real life minutes.

Yassen:

"What's this Goddess? An intruder? He is ugly. Ugly! UGGLLLLYYYYYYY!"

Oh, definitely. I really can't agree any more, that shit just fucked me up.

Gypsy ninja pirate zombie king:

omegawyrm:
If I get to count it, then I'm going to say Saya no Uta. Pretty much every second of that story is terrifying in a horribly insidious and disturbing way

oh. my. god. i just looked it up on Wikipedia. and shit man he eats his friend. fuck! that's really fucked up.

Yep, what really puts this one over the edge is that the narrator character perceives the world in a weird sort of "reversed" way. Normal things are horrible flesh abominations that ooze blood and reek of decay, and fucked up things appear normal. So when he eats his friend, the narrator describes it as a delicious assortment of fruit snacks, but you, the reader, already know what is happening from another viewpoint, so your mind gets to fill in all the gory details. It's hard to describe just how unsettling some of the stuff in that story is. However, I do really like it because it also manages to be intensely emotionally compelling and have strong, well presented central themes which I think most horror stories sadly fail at having.

Not particularly violent or gruesome or anything like that, but that bit in Hitman: Contracts in the hotel, with the ghost in the mirror. I think it was the contrast of having something so ghoul-ey in what was otherwise quite a 'realistic' game, but its appearance also seemed so conducive with the tone of the whole thing just caught me off guard and sent shivers down my spine.

oh. my. god. i just looked it up on Wikipedia. and shit man he eats his friend. fuck! that's really fucked up.

Hardly the most disturbing or depraved thing going on in Saya.

Probably is the game - if a VN with a total of two choices can be considered as such - with the most relentlessly dark, depressing, and depraved themes while still maintaining serious artistic and literary merit to it. It's an absolutely fantastic lovecraftian style horror piece, but many adults will not want to - or even be able to - stomach it.

Though I'd still maintain that the abomination which ended an otherwise venerable series that was C&C 4 is a even more disturbing gaming moment.

i'd have to go with the wall titties from duke nukem forever. or more specifically slapping them. i mean really?

Giygas.

Especially with its backstory, and how most of us experienced him as a child.

EDIT: I just remembered. Following a radio signal in Fallout 3 with a man whose daughter is dying of radiation poisoning. Upon finding the source, I found two skeletons. One with it's head on the other's lap.

God, I love that game.

Imperator_DK:

Hardly the most disturbing or depraved thing going on in Saya

maybe not. but eating an anime girl is just horrific. i won't be playing this game.

It's not the most disturbing, but It's the one that pops to mind;
It's more disturbing the first time you play it and it's his death thats gonna shit you up the most

But Dead Rising 1 and 2 can be hilarious and disturbing in equal measure.

Also, an honourable mention goes ou to the Haf Life Poison Zombie,

and Fast Zombie;

Tuesday Night Fever:
That part in Condemned: Criminal Origins with the abandoned shopping center and the mannequins that multiply in number and seem to slowly stalk you. The atmosphere and sounds just made it that much more freakin' creepy. /shiver

Edit:

/NINJA'D

for me its quite early on in the first resident evil game, you turn a corner to find a zombie munching on some fallen dudes coin purse, then there is that really trippy cut scene when the zombie turns to look at you. I was 11 and have been afraid of homo-erotic-necrophilic-cannibalism ever since

Pretty much all of Bioshock.

The Blue screen of Death that came up in a horror game from the 90's. Horror in a game itself is scary as hell, but faking having a catastrophic system failure, and having to replace your console in order to continue, to only return to the action after a moment or two is just sick.

If the game had not caused me to shit myself, that would've. LOL!

I'd mention Rapelay or any number of other games that depict and eroticize violence against women but I think that's been said enough by me at this point, so instead here's this scene from Dead Space 2:

"Come to Mumma!"

*Anyone who's played the game knows what I'm talking about.

The boss at the end of the lust level in Dante's Inferno...Toungues coming from her nipples as well as creepy baby monsters.

Wait forget that, the giant babies in Drakengard were so much worse...What is it with creepy babies?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNENqC38AWY

Cerebral Force:
The Blue screen of Death that came up in a horror game from the 90's. Horror in a game itself is scary as hell, but faking having a catastrophic system failure, and having to replace your console in order to continue, to only return to the action after a moment or two is just sick.

If the game had not caused me to shit myself, that would've. LOL!

Reminds me of "Eternal Darkness - Sanity's Requiem" for Gamecube.
That game has a lot of sanity-effects. The Blue screen of Death was one of it. Others were: Sudden black screen like during a power out; being unable to move while a group of monsters try to eat you; while trying to save the game erases your save data; the protagonists limbs start to fall off until you die; ...

Very funny. I always loved these sanity effects and never healed my sanity to enjoy those. Well the first time I played "Eternal Darkness" it was quite scary but I learned to love it :)

OT: I usually don't play disturbing games since most of them are shooters or involve shooting. Somehow I prefer the good old sword/knife/etc. That's just more personal ;)
"Galerians" (PSOne) scared me quite a bit but I was young and easily impressed and that kid was taking drugs all the time (pills or shooting them with a big syringe into his neck) and he got really head blowing while on deprivation (literally the other people's heads...well they didn't explode but they died). And the other kids (antagonists) where quite evil, too.

Persona 3 didn't impress me much after that ;D
(and I played it many years later)

"Baroque" (Wii) also had it's nasty moments (something about the NPCs) but I haven't finished that game yet and it wasn't disturbing to me either.

Silent Hill 2. Just, the entire game. If I had to say a specific part though, Pyramid Head's first appearnce.

There was a cut scene in "Project Zero" ("Fatal Frame") i played on the original Xbox that had a girl tied to a post or something and a guy in a mask sticking a mask on her face with big spikes facing inwards through the eyes. It was a deeply disturbing experience watching a blinded girl cry on the floor, it was a tremendous piece of voice acting if i recall. I wonder if it still holds up.

The opening of the cult PS2 Classic, Haunting Grounds.

*shutters* dear god...I can't get that image out of my mind @[email protected]

Vrex360:
I'd mention Rapelay or any number of other games that depict and eroticize violence against women but I think that's been said enough by me at this point, so instead here's this scene from Dead Space 2:

"Come to Mumma!"

*Anyone who's played the game knows what I'm talking about.

*shutters* don't remind me.

The Doll boss in Condemned 2 really bothered me as well as the Regenerators in Resident Evil 4. There is another game that I remember bothered me even more than those two combined but for some reason I can't remember it. Maybe I'm better off not?

In no particular order:

- The short and brutal adventure of Mr Pinkie Finger in Heavy Rain.
- The eyeball machine in Dead Space 2.
- Some of the fatalities in the new Mortal Kombat. I just don't see how I'm supposed to enjoy sadistic gore purely for its own sake.
- The death of Andrew Ryan in Bioshock.

werefish5:
Just play this. It shouldn't take long.
http://www.kongregate.com/games/austinbreed/covetous

That was AWESOME. Thanks for sharing.

I think there's a difference between the most disturbing thing I've ever seen in a game, and the scariest thing I've ever seen in a game (which is the answer most people seem to be giving).

The most scared I've ever been in a game was the very first encounter with a hostile ghost in Fatal Frame 2. I was screaming like a small child the entire time.

The most disturbing thing? I'd have to say that one part from Condemned: Criminal Origins. School locker + dead man with his eyelids cut off + Camera + Camera's zoom function + superb timing = Me furiously shitting myself on the couch.

Seriously.

The Flesh Mage from Drakan: The Ancients' Gates. Basically, he tricks women into becoming his bride and skins them then uses their skin as a cloak. His 'Bridal Hall' has a pool of blood with masks that he gets the brides to wear. Eeriest moment in gaming I had on my PS2.

Tuesday Night Fever:
That part in Condemned: Criminal Origins with the abandoned shopping center and the mannequins that multiply in number and seem to slowly stalk you. The atmosphere and sounds just made it that much more freakin' creepy. /shiver

Edit:

That whole game was one of the freakier ones I played. The Apple House or whatever level was tough to play. I had to spend like 5-10 minutes preparing myself before entering the basement. :(

I don't think I've ever been "disturbed" as in offended by games before. I'm hard to bother, but Condemned and the hotel in Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines made me put down the game for a bit in pants wetting horror.

Javarock:

bussinrounds:
Manhunt 2 Uncut - AO version

It's not letting me sign in to you tube for some reason, so i can't post pt2 up.

Fixed it for you

OT: I never really have had a scary moment in gameing, Then again I tend not to play scary games. However if I were to say the "Scareist" I would say in daggerfall with the skeletons they scared the shit out of me.

Javarock:

bussinrounds:
Manhunt 2 Uncut - AO version

It's not letting me sign in to you tube for some reason, so i can't post pt2 up.

Fixed it for you

OT: I never really have had a scary moment in gameing, Then again I tend not to play scary games. However if I were to say the "Scareist" I would say in daggerfall with the skeletons they scared the shit out of me.

I think this might be the best one at 3:30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6LwaLHz5Xk

How do you embed these vids here anyways ?

That video of the dad trying to play portal. That's not only scary, it's PAINFUL.

Mostly anything from DNF.

That scene in Red Dead Redemption.
You know the one.
It was so subtle I didn't know what I was looking at for a second.

There's a flash game called One Chance. It's one of those games which saves your progress permanently - you can only ever play it once. This game triggered an existential crisis and brought my depression on for around a week. I still get very bad vibes from contemplating it.

I'm not exaggerating, I wish I'd never played it now. I'll link it, as it's what the topic is demanding, but it's up to you to decide whether to play it.

Tuesday Night Fever:

Edit:

D'awww, I was going to say that.

Well, all of Condemned is creepy and disturbing.

well the tails dolls made me sleep with my bible for about two nights... oh wait i forgot the link. http://www.quackerandbowen.com/sonicr.html (here the challenge start around six or seven and start reading all the collection then go to sleep) :D sweet dreams. this isn't game related but a good horror read would be the holder on dramatica.

Andy03:
The scariest thing I've play would probably be "Afraid of Monsters". It's a Half-life 1 mod.

I got sick of that Mod a ways in. Genuinely scary at points to begin with, but then it just got annoying as hell, especially when the zombies went invisible.

Nightmare House 2 (a Mod for HL2) does a much better job, I think, and actually manages a decent version of the mannequin scene from Condemned. Plus there's that hall with the shadows... eugh.

I never thought dead space 2 was exactly scary but the concept of child necromorphs disturbed me from the start but when I want through the pre-school section it was down right depressing. Especially that bit where that delusional woman calls over one of those exploding kids.

I'd got a trial of Postal 2, just testing the keys and I was like YAY CAT walk up to it to see what I could do and he picks it up and fits on the end of his gun o.O

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked