The most disturbing thing you've seen in gaming.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Meh, none really stick with me.

I suppose the needle scene from The Suffering was pretty fucked up.

Those Manhunt executions are AWESOME.

Tuesday Night Fever:

Don't look away; don't even blink. Blink and you're dead.

CM156:
Well, I haven't played it, but I've seen the footage of the women in DNF in pain, before being shot. That one is fresh in my mind.

EDIT: Oh, and that one part at the end of Fable 2. With all the dead bodies and that music box.

I rather liked the part at the end of Fable 2, I thought it was meant to mimic a sort of subconscious state of regret or loss of innocence. It had an emotional impact on me to say the least.

OT: The new Mortal Combat is kind of disturbing. I mean, I've never seen someone's head come off that way... D=

Edit: Oh yea, there are some disturbing scenes in Metro 2033 and there is that disturbing trailer for one of the STALKER games where it was from the view of an infrared camera on a helicopter as it watches a guy get chased down and torn apart by monsters.

GLaDos from Portal. I just felt uncomfortable with her around.

Half Life 2: Ravenholm creeped the hell out of me. Just the atmosphere.

Fort Frolic from Bioshock. I don't know why, I just HATE manniquins. Reason why I won't play Condemned or Silent Hill.

Silent Hill 4

You're in your apartment during the hauntings and you can hear something faint. You don't know where it's coming from so you search around, holy candle in hand. You eventually narrow it down to the kitchen area, but you can't see anything wrong.
Then you hear the noise again.
It's coming from the fridge.
You nervously open the door and you see...

A Cat.
Still alive.
With no skin.

Dude...

Burning a Half-life 2 zombie. Hear the screams and you won't be sleeping that day.

The ending of Episode 2.

You just get to realize that you're not the only one that knows about the G-Man and maybe there's some kind of hope for you and Eli to break free from him permanently and stop his plotting.

And then that hope is stripped away minutes later.

Credits roll.

On Fallout 3, I once entered some random Vault. Halfway through my excursion, the lights turned pink and I saw a whole bunch of doctors walking around. The other half was me running out at top speed.

Most disturbing thing I ever saw was that scene out of Homefront. Right near the start where you're riding the bus and see a kids parents try to calm their infant son down before having the shit shot out them. That was the only thing I've seen in years that made my heart sink and that's the only interesting thing about that travesty of a game.

Vrex360:
I'd mention Rapelay or any number of other games that depict and eroticize violence against women but I think that's been said enough by me at this point, so instead here's this scene from Dead Space 2:

"Come to Mumma!"

*Anyone who's played the game knows what I'm talking about.

First time I saw that, I laughed so hard, then genuinely felt ashamed of myself.

Tuesday Night Fever:
That part in Condemned: Criminal Origins with the abandoned shopping center and the mannequins that multiply in number and seem to slowly stalk you. The atmosphere and sounds just made it that much more freakin' creepy. /shiver

Edit:

Those are not mannequins, they are fuckin' Weeping Angels!

OT: Well I bought RDR shortly after release and got a bit surprised by Seth. If you know what I mean...

Noclip into Glibert Alexanders tank in Bioshock 2 and you WILL shit so many bricks that you can build a mansion.

pyrosaw:
GLaDos from Portal. I just felt uncomfortable with her around.

Half Life 2: Ravenholm creeped the hell out of me. Just the atmosphere.

Fort Frolic from Bioshock. I don't know why, I just HATE manniquins. Reason why I won't play Condemned or Silent Hill.

Did you use the power-to-the-people machine in Sinclair Spirits?

After you use it a manniquine will appear behind you and come alive when you get close...
Then all the other ones are gone...

Sometimes when you turn around some of them will stand there, and if you get to close they will come alive and attack like spider splicers.

But only after you use the machine.

benylor:
There's a flash game called One Chance. It's one of those games which saves your progress permanently - you can only ever play it once. This game triggered an existential crisis and brought my depression on for around a week. I still get very bad vibes from contemplating it.

I'm not exaggerating, I wish I'd never played it now. I'll link it, as it's what the topic is demanding, but it's up to you to decide whether to play it.

That was a really good game, thought wise. My first ending wasn't the greatest, but I was satisfied with how it turned out. I did what I thought was right to do.

One Word: Giygas.

JasonKaotic:
Giygas from Earthbound is creepy too. Although the whole "LOOK HOW SCARY GIYGAS IS, ARE YOU READY, HERE HE COMES, ARE YOU SCARED NOW, LOOK HOW SCARY HE IS" thing before the fight kind of killed the creepiness. Like, a lot.

You have a point, but when you're 11 years old you're too scared to notice!
By the way, I think they made Pokey say that just to tell you you can't run away from this fight, because IIRC you could run away from bosses.

Pandora from Revelations: Persona is a good example. Eeuughh. Giygas from Earthbound is creepy too. Although the whole "LOOK HOW SCARY GIYGAS IS, ARE YOU READY, HERE HE COMES, ARE YOU SCARED NOW, LOOK HOW SCARY HE IS" thing before the fight kind of killed the creepiness. Like, a lot.

That mannequin room from Silent Hill 3.

thetruefallen:
There was a cut scene in "Project Zero" ("Fatal Frame") i played on the original Xbox that had a girl tied to a post or something and a guy in a mask sticking a mask on her face with big spikes facing inwards through the eyes. It was a deeply disturbing experience watching a blinded girl cry on the floor, it was a tremendous piece of voice acting if i recall. I wonder if it still holds up.

That was fairly disturbing, and yes, it does hold up.
The whole idea of that blinding ritual was just disturbing as hell, and then having the freaky bitch chase you around the mansion for the best part of an ENTIRE FREAKIN' CHAPTER was bad enough.

For me, the most disturbing part of that game was finding the photographs of the kids being dragged away by the long armed ghost. That was just... very unsettling.

For me, there's no contest. Definately the second level of Hitman: Contracts. The fact that there's a drug-fueled orgy/party going on in the middle of a *slaughterhouse* with dead animal carcasses all over the place was bad enough, but then you reach your target's inner sactum/shrine, and I nearly wanted to throw up. It was the only time I ever almost quit playing a game solely by how disturbed I was by it.

I'm glad I did evetually continue with the game, because none of the later levels were anywhere near that bad, but what an opening.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked