What is a "try hard"?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I notice when a team loses on an online shooter such as Black Ops every now and then a guy with a crappy ratio will accuse the other team of being "try hards". I just don't see how this makes any sense. Do they expect me to play worse on purpose so it won't look like I am trying hard? Aren't you supposed to try your best?

Rule Number 1 of online gaming:
Everyone you meet is a total and absolute window-licking fucktard until proven otherwise.

There's this weird stigma growing like a cancer in my fellow Americans. I've noticed it quite often in fact. Many people these days seem to believe that effort of any kind is somehow "uncool". It's pretty disgusting actually people judging others negatively because of excellent grades or athletic performance. I suspect it all has to do with some form of jealousy or another. Very alarming indeed sir i'm glad you brought this up.

It's meant to be an insult from someone who's being a poor sport. Which online seems to be all the time.

A "try-hard" is someone who will do anything to win at the game, regardless of how unsportsman-like it may be. Tryhards are the people who start camping together in one building, and put up 5 claymores at every entrance when they begin to lose so that they can't die, or who go one-man army n00btube and spawn camps, or someone who only uses the most overpowered weapons in the game because they HAVE TO have the advantage over everyone. They don't care how they win so long as they win, as opposed to someone to plays the game for fun (at least this is how I understand it). It's basically a way of saying that the other team played like cheap bastards.

Well in L4D it's someone who tries way too hard. Normally it consists of an entire team that ghosts the entire map (couch walking slowly) and takes every slow precaution to ensure as little damage as possible.

Car alarm, don't run around it. Simply find a closet and hide in it while you intentionally shoot the car alarm from safety. Make sure to wait in the saferoom until the other team quits too.

Try hards are people who sacrifice fun for an edge over the competition. They're the type of people who kill spy crabs deliberately because it will push their score higher. When you play pokemon with them, they stack their teams with legendaries because, for them, winning is all that matters. When you play Marvel vs Capcom, they pick Sentinel, Dante, and Whesker. They only get fun out of winning instead of actually enjoying the game.

One who tries hard at something that means very little in scope.

In calling someone a tryhard, one is accusing them of putting extra work into something meaningless and/or stupid. A Black Ops tryhard would be someone who devotes themselves to Black Ops because they are cheaters or totez nerdz or some nonsense.

One of the reasons I don't play games like COD or Halo is the constant interaction with mouth-breathing borderline retards who use words like "skinny" and "nerd" and "smart" as derogatory terms.

Pretty much all of the above. Mainly it's an insult...I assume it's a sort of subliminal throwback to yoda's iconic statement "No. Do, or do not. There is no try". Or at least I choose to believe it is. In short though, it's a slam against someone that isn't good enough even though they "tried their best". A puerile slam, but a slam all the same.

You willingly enter the realm of online gaming, you leave logic and reason far, far behind.

"Try hard" is an insult that originally meant people who put on an image of a certain style and end up looking fake or contrived. It didn't make much sense in that context anyway.

In this case though, it seems to have been taken up by people who can't handle losing and therefore want to accuse others of being "try hards" i.e. putting in too much effort. But usually, of course, it means that they're the ones trying real hard and still losing, can't deal with it and so yell insults.

Do your best and ignore what people say, trying to win is what most people are doing in a game.

Next, they'll make "winner" an insult just because of how hard it is on people who care too much if they lose. "Damn you, you, you... WINNER!" I can totally see "winner" as becoming a word that means "selfish" someday.

Necromancer Jim:
You willingly enter the realm of online gaming, you leave logic and reason far, far behind.

Quoted for absolute and total truth. Online gaming is the teaser trailer for eternal damnation.

Dirty Hipsters:
They don't care how they win so long as they win, as opposed to someone to plays the game for fun (at least this is how I understand it). It's basically a way of saying that the other team played like cheap bastards.

Winning isn't fun? I like to win. I will find ways to win. If the rules are broken that is not a player's fault. I find winning more fun than losing. If that makes me a tryhard or any other derogatory term, so be it. I'm still in the winner's circle.

Note: I do not condone cheating to win. I play fairly within the intended bounds of the game. But if there is something that gives me an advantage and an opportunity for victory, I will use it to my advantage.

Dirty Hipsters:
A "try-hard" is someone who will do anything to win at the game, regardless of how unsportsman-like it may be. Tryhards are the people who start camping together in one building, and put up 5 claymores at every entrance when they begin to lose so that they can't die, or who go one-man army n00btube and spawn camps, or someone who only uses the most overpowered weapons in the game because they HAVE TO have the advantage over everyone. They don't care how they win so long as they win, as opposed to someone to plays the game for fun (at least this is how I understand it). It's basically a way of saying that the other team played like cheap bastards.

Pretty much this. They take the game WAY too seriously, and sacrifice the fun of the game for raw, completely un-fun, brutal competition. The people who consider people who are just playing for fun to be dragging the team down and don't deserve to be in the same server as themselves.

I believe this is essentially the opposite of people calling anyone with negative KD n00bs. A person who didn't do very well accusing the other team's best players of being tryhards, people who obsessively try to make themselves better players. This insult is usually followed by claims of the opposite team having no life, and a claim from the accuser that they don't practice alot because they are do busy getting laid/going to parties/etc, which is probably a lie.

Tryhard, in the general gaming community, is used as a derogatory term for someone who is beating a team by not sucking. That's it, really. People on the Escapist may have a different view on it, but that's how it's used by the majority of people in online gaming environments.

So, it's essentially saying "Stop trying and let me kill you, or else you're a tryhard who only plays for wins!1!!1!!11!!one!".

NinjaDeathSlap:
Rule Number 1 of online gaming:
Everyone you meet is a total and absolute window-licking fucktard until proven otherwise.

I like this guy thinking.

Of course you do Gig, Of course you do.

onewheeled999:

Dirty Hipsters:

Pretty much this. They take the game WAY too seriously, and sacrifice the fun of the game for raw, completely un-fun, brutal competition. The people who consider people who are just playing for fun to be dragging the team down and don't deserve to be in the same server as themselves.

I absolutely HATE it when people get mad at you for trying to win at a game. Playing games is fun. Winning games is the goal when you're playing games. Why would I purposefully hinder myself just because you're too much of a sore sport to accept that the other team played better than you? I don't get mad when the other team beat me using "cheap" tactics. That means they played better.

Arontala:
Tryhard, in the general gaming community, is used as a derogatory term for someone who is beating a team by not sucking. That's it, really. People on the Escapist may have a different view on it, but that's how it's used by the majority of people in online gaming environments.

So, it's essentially saying "Stop trying and let me kill you, or else you're a tryhard who only plays for wins!1!!1!!11!!one!".

That seems to be the case to me. I recall watching a Street Fighter IV gameplay vid where a guy used throws in the middle of some of his combos and won. Some of the comments found this distasteful and accused him of being a "try-hard." There I sat thinking to myself, oh god forbid he uses tactics that work.

So, I'm guessing it's a catch-all term for people who play games with some semblance of skill.

The term tryhard is just an excuse for getting owned in a game, like saying you have no life.

It's a game term that used to be a fighting game thing. Y'know, marvel vs capcom, soul caliber, those types, it specifically refers to types of characters whose build is inherently stronger at the outset than another. Not to say the characters are themselves better, just that it takes a great deal less skill to open them up.

As an example: Marvel vs. Capcom 3, not a terribly good game but a good example.

Dante: notorious tryhard, this character requires very little skill to unleash his damage potential.

Phoenix: Opposite of tryhard, she is a major glass cannon, however intelligent players can turn her into the most horrifyingly devastating character in the game by triggering her special Dark Phoenix form which only happens if she dies with a certain ability active.

As to the shooting game thing... Nope, I have no idea how it would apply since there are no 'characters'. Unless you count the specific guns?

So, what everyone is basically saying is, of course, that they are idiots.

There is no deeper answer.

Midnight Crossroads:
When you play Marvel vs Capcom, they pick Sentinel, Dante, and Whesker. They only get fun out of winning instead of actually enjoying the game.

right here, this is a good example.

Although in Wesker's defense, he's just a noob killer. If you know how to fight him he's easy meat unless the player has actual skill with him.

lordmardok:
It's a game term that used to be a fighting game thing. Y'know, marvel vs capcom, soul caliber, those types, it specifically refers to types of characters whose build is inherently stronger at the outset than another. Not to say the characters are themselves better, just that it takes a great deal less skill to open them up.

As an example: Marvel vs. Capcom 3, not a terribly good game but a good example.

Dante: notorious tryhard, this character requires very little skill to unleash his damage potential.

Phoenix: Opposite of tryhard, she is a major glass cannon, however intelligent players can turn her into the most horrifyingly devastating character in the game by triggering her special Dark Phoenix form which only happens if she dies with a certain ability active.

As to the shooting game thing... Nope, I have no idea how it would apply since there are no 'characters'. Unless you count the specific guns?

Pretty much.

Winning a game of Black Ops with an AK47u isn't impressive or memorable. Winning with a revolver or a knife is far more satisfying because it displays an ability to overcome objectively better weapons.

Also, it's stupid fun to run around knifing people in a wager match. You can't win by knifing, but it sets other players back from winning. It's pretty much the only thing I enjoy playing Black Ops online.

TheECP:
I absolutely HATE it when people get mad at you for trying to win at a game. Playing games is fun. Winning games is the goal when you're playing games. Why would I purposefully hinder myself just because you're too much of a sore sport to accept that the other team played better than you? I don't get mad when the other team beat me using "cheap" tactics. That means they played better.

Don't get me wrong, I have pretty much the same point of view. I play to win, but more importantly, I don't let that get in the way of having fun with the game. But when a player gets so competitive that they lose sight of what makes the game a game, and are pretty much total dicks about it, it stops being fun for everybody.

They're bad and they should feel bad.

Just ignore them, its how they get revenge, if you can call it that, after you made their anus 3 sizes bigger.

Dirty Hipsters:

Sooo... basically what this guy said?

OverweightWhale:
It's meant to be an insult from someone who's being a poor sport. Which online seems to be all the time.

Calling certain tactics "cheap" is a sure sign that you are a sore loser. If you don't like the fact that a game allows for certain methods of play, then don't play it.

Edit: That wasn't intended as a jab at you, by the way. Just a blanket statement against whiny people.

its like the movie Die Hard but with a lot more trying and failing

Many people have already stated what tryhard means, but I'd like to mention that it's starting to more and more come to mean anyone who puts forth any effort whatsoever, rather than just someone who puts winning above all else, as somewhat stated by Gladiateher.

Just ignore them. I sometimes have a person on my team, who when losing, will get angry and call the other team "try hards", whilst failing to see the irony in it all.

Basically someone who tries hard, to put it simply. Most likely using Turtle Beaches or similar headphones to soundwhore the opposite team to get a lot of extra kills. It's not really worth complaining about. Hell, I have turtle beach, and I know when I am the last person on SnD I will turn the volume up a bit more to hear the oppositions footsteps. I can't tell you how many times it has stopped me from dying.

Necromancer Jim:

I've heard it way more irl than online. Logic and reason are out the window in this area, apparently.

Its basically whens omeone takes the fun out of playing and starts being a dick to win.

I get accused of try harding a lot, so do my friends, but we go in a game with strategy, especially on teams. but then we're not above just running and gunning.

A try hard is someone who has their priorities backwards, and therefore will go to any measure to achieve at something that ultimately isn't as important as they make it out to be. I have only ever heard this insult in relation to school, referring to the people who work on assignments for days, hand them in early to get reviewed beforehand by teachers, and pester/ suck up to teachers in order to see how much information they can weedle out of them about tests. I suppose that you could apply it to games as well, referring to people who will go to any length to give themselves the advantage.

I don't use it though. Frankly, if you really care about something that much, more power to you.

To me tryhard is not someone who wants to win, tryhards are people that ruin other people's experience to win by taking advantage of glitches or OP things, that and those 10 year olds that have MLG, a million Z's or X's or "NoScopes" "TruESkilzz" in the name etc

For the game you are playing (Black Ops), a tryhard is
AUG Red Dot
CZ75 Dual Wield
Motion Censor
Concussion Grenades
Flak Jacket Pro
Sleight of Hand Pro
Hacker Pro

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked