Do you think dragons are overdone and boring?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Obviously with Skyrim coming out there are several people saying OMG HAS DRAGUNZ! I've never heard that as a selling point before, even from games called Dragon Age. It doesn't really do it for me, however. It'd just be like saying a game has elves. Same fantasy stereotype creature. The same as always, like elves and dwarves and perhaps orcs. Now if Skyrim has krakens and you learned kraken words....that'd be awesome.

Anyone as topic says, dragons always the same like elves? Don't like em, want new villains, prefer krakens, giant turtles, whatever? Discuss, my pretties, discuss!

EDIT: I don't mean to jab at Skyrim. I don't know how good those dragons, they just felt a little uncreative. Though that could also be wrong, I don't plan on buying it to find out.

EDIT THE SECOND: I mean, as examples of what was bothering me. Got into WOW cataclysm - enemy, giant dragon. Skyrim, enemies, giant dragons. Got into tabletop game called Warmachine, bad guys? Trying to steal dragons to power up their dragon. Also, octopi can move (but limited) on land so krakens should be able to fully move one land (blame magic).

But Skyrim had fucking awesome dragons that you kill with swords and that do things dynamically.

Dragons are awesome in skyrim because they are unscripted, free roaming and unpredictable creatures. And they look incredible and seem to move extremely fluidly and realistically, and they just look awesome.

Yes dragons are a fantasy trope, but they're new to TES, at least the past few iterations, and they look to be a really great addition to the game.

I think zombies are way more overdone and boring. Come on, TV,Movies,Games and still coming

It's true that the whole "OMG DRAGONS" craze around Skyrim since it was announced is fucking weird. Every other fantasy universe has dragons, it's not a huge deal. Yes, they're cool, but dragons didn't sell Skyrim to me. It's all the other enhancements that did.

I don't think Dragons are there yet. Zombies are more on the level of, 'done so often I simply don't care anymore'. Dragons are just coming back into a mainstream vogue. Remember though, that these sort of trends are cyclical. Steampunk has also been a thorn up my ass for a while now and I know it's only a matter of time before Cyberpunk makes its triumphant return (and may have already done with Deus Ex Human Revolution). It's only a matter of time before we see Dragons within Cyberpunk land either in the form of test-tube wyrms or, cybernetic Androi-gans. Either of which would be fucking brutal as all hell. Which reminds me, I need to get my ass to Hollywood and convince them to get King Ghidra and Mecha King Kong in the upcoming Godzilla remake...

On a final note: A Kraken is an awesome, AWESOME monster. Love those bastards and, I do mean all kinds from humanoid (Clash of the Titans classic) to modern (Cthulhu wannabes). No reasons why they can't co-exist with Dragons.

Well creatures like Krakens and Turtles although would be cool are not really on the same level as dragons. For starters Krakens and turtles would be primarily water based creatures (this is bad i have always wanted a large sea beast that attacks the player out in the blue), so that right there is a major fault because you'd have to spend ages swimming pointless around the ocean waiting for a kraken attack because you couldn't have them mauling every major beach.

A dragon would be much easier to manage because it can fly and it can walk on land. so it's much easy to encounter and program it's combat AI. Not only that dragons are a major figure in the fantasy universes in general, not just getting into the TES lore.

Finally i don't age that dragons are the major selling point. Although yes they are a large part of the story and will probably drive a large amount of the main quest, considering the big bad guy of the picture a dragon that will eat the world. But there's lots of other new features. massive graphic revamp, general gameplay, Inventory, skill system, professions, dual wielding, fancy kills yanda yanda yanda.... and lets not forget that the country is in civil war and i think that will be a large part of the main quest as well. Unless that's a separate side quest guild.

It depends on the context.

The "mean monster with only animalistic intellect" type of dragon is a little old and boring.
There's not really a lot else to them, when they've been simplified to that state.

Smart dragons never get old (actually, smart villains in general don't have this issue), but the problem there is probably that it means there's more to write. Oddly enough, Tolkien's dragons were of this variety. So the overall issue is a matter of simplification with time & imitation; more or less that it was allowed to become a cliche.

Dragons aren't overdone nor boring... provided you do them properly.
Don't expect lazy writers to do anything properly.

I like dragons quite a bit.

Gigantic mythical lizards who can fly, breath fire and eat your party for breakfast? Whats not to like?

Sentient/Talking Dragons add even more badassery on top of that.

The new raid boss in LOTRO is a huuuuuge dragon. :D
No, I don't think they're overdone. Zombies, on the other hand...

A bit, yeah. Not as much as vampire, werewolves or zombies, though, but still too common for their own good.

Krakens would be much less interesting and free roaming. Considering they lack mobility on land.

Dragons might be common, but randomly generated free roaming dragons that can make decisions and come out of nowhere are new.

In games? Not at all. To be honest, I can't think of the last game I saw that had touted dragons as a feature. Not even Dragon Age (for a game with dragon in the name, they really didn't try to blow me over with dragon related stuff).
Honestly, there aren't many games that really use dragons (especially as anything other than another set piece dragon enemy).

The supremely awesome tattoo on my right arm argues otherwise.

Yes there is a dragon there, It's actually quite the large tattoo.

Solid Reece:
I think zombies are way more overdone and boring. Come on, TV,Movies,Games and still coming

Came in to say exactly the same thing.

I liked Dragons before they went mainstream. Smaug, baby, not this new crap.

thaluikhain:
A bit, yeah. Not as much as vampire, werewolves or zombies, though, but still too common for their own good.

I'm pretty sure there are going to be vampires, werewolves and zombies in skyrim so kudos to bethesda!

OT: I like the dragons being presented in Skyrim. Most fantasy games would have referenced a dragon or two and it may get old for some people, but then again we've (or at least I've) never fought a dragon in an immersive first person view with two blades and a vast array of shouts.

Dragons are awesome. I like dragons. Yeah, I'm kinda tired right now, so I'll leave it at that.

As for Krakens, I think that could be done and be pretty cool, but the game would need to take place largely in and around a body of water. Think a game where you can sail a ship, swim, and explore islands and beaches. In this situation, Krakens could be a major threat. And if done where they were free roaming, they could be even more threatening than a dragon. You might see a dragon flying over head and avoid it, but if the kraken beneath your boat decides he wants your rum reserves for his own, there's not much you could do and you wouldn't see it coming til it attacked.

How about PVP against yahtzee and all he does is yell at you about how you only play shit games.

I think dragons are the best type of Awesomely powerful fantasy creature. They hoard treasure, they are able to fly anywhere - so you can run into them anywhere - they are often old and wise, they are very powerful, and they breath fire (Or occasionally another element the devs thought would be cooler).
Plus, tell me one game that you can fight dragons in the same way that you can in Skyrim.

Not really, I mean you only fought one real dragon in Dragon Age (two if you had Awakening) plus the Archdemon and Flemeth as a dragon. So that's really not a lot of dragons. I can't think of any other game aside from Skyrim.

Congratulations, OP. You've earned this.

OT: Nope. People are saying dragons are awesome because dragons are awesome.

I generally find dragons less cool now than I did 5 or so years ago. But as others have said, I don't think they're as overdone and not anymore as cool as vampires and zombies (and they will be in Skyrim as well).

That said I am reminded of the unfortunate fate of Heroes of Might and Magic 3. There was a free huge fanmade mod Wake of Gods that added tonnes of new content and functionality and fixed balance issues. And it was a growing thing, the developers took suggestions from the community and incorporated them in future versions. What did the community suggest?
"NEEDS MOAR DRAGONS!!". The mod added hundreds of new creatures into the game, about half of which were different silly flavours of dragons until dragons were more common than elves.
Talk about too common for their own good.

As for Skyrim - well you could get dragons in Oblivion via mods. I think they might be somewhat cool in Skyrim, but not the major selling point.

Ya, they are kinda old, but I can normally tolerate, and even like them, if they stay away from being a race of mary sues.

I don't think it's quite reached the point where Dragons are the new Zombies (although it IS debatable that already happened with Dragonheart and Reign of Fire), however dragons do seem to be for fantasy as zombies are for horror/sci-fi.

It's got dragons done right (I HOPE) and in my favorite type of game. Not some shitty turn based JRPG crap. I just hope the dragons aren't as annoying as fighting those dumbassed Thresher Maws on foot in Mass Effect.

heck no! Dragon's aren't done enough. I want a game where you can actually play as a dragon in an open world fantasy game like The Elder Scrolls. What other games let you do that? I know of Spyro, but thats just a classic platformer. Theres also Reign of Fire for GameCube but theres not nearly enough variety and the non-dragon gameplay sucks so bad I never finished it

Yes. I hate fantasy games, they're so overdone and unoriginal, I'd rather play Call of Duty 12 than another game about dragons, elves, orcs, etc.

The number of modern games that are about dragons can be counted on one hand, I hardly think that's overdoing it. You know what is overdoing? Zombies. You know whats under-doing it? Dinosaurs!

Dragons are a part of human history. Every culture has myths about some kind of giant, flying monstrosity and the heroes that deal with them. They are humanity's ancient mythological foe; wild untamed nature and avarice set as obstacles to great treasure and fame. Dragons are emblematic of struggles that make ordinary people into heroes.

That, and they're GIANT FLYING LIZARDS THAT BREATHE FIRE! And that will always be awesome

Engarde:
Obviously with Skyrim coming out there are several people saying OMG HAS DRAGUNZ! I've never heard that as a selling point before, even from games called Dragon Age. It doesn't really do it for me, however. It'd just be like saying a game has elves. Same fantasy stereotype creature. The same as always, like elves and dwarves and perhaps orcs. Now if Skyrim has krakens and you learned kraken words....that'd be awesome.

Anyone as topic says, dragons always the same like elves? Don't like em, want new villains, prefer krakens, giant turtles, whatever? Discuss, my pretties, discuss!

I must admit an Elder Scrolls game set on a series of islands where you can swim out into the ocean and explore underwater and fight Krakens sounds like fun.

Not really, no. Unlike the over-abused monsters like Zombies, Dragons have almost always been something of a 'there's like 3 of them in game, and they'll all fuck you up' - Even in Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II you only fight a small amount of Full grown adult Dragons, and they are all bosses. Even when you get attacked by the little baby dragons there are other monsters added into the mix (Again, unlike Zombies where it's just Zombies for the next 4 kilometers).
This is the beautiful thing about Dragons - they are really only good for the Major, kick-ass mystical boss fights that you can only have 3 or 4 of them in a game. This is because of how they are perceived in modern society - as an enemy they are massive, scaly monstrous creatures that can devastate enormous areas of land and are near impossible to kill, and have been so for thousands of years (Allied dragons are always small, cute and adorable, and can usually speak... I don't get that part, but it still works). Trying to make a game where there are dragons every step you take or they consist of every single fight would probably still be fun, due to the epic nature of dragons - the Skyrim dragons are going to be random, epic boss fights that you can kill with your trusty sword/axe/shield, and are never going to feel boring or overused (probably frustrating though, if one comes down while your limping away the two bloody stumps of no hp).
So, in answer to your question: No, Dragons will never feel overused or boring, as it goes against the epic nature of the dragon. With modification they could be over-used (Looking at you, Fast Zombies) but the good ol' classic Dragon is still going to take the place of that big, epic, destructive boss that absolutely destroys your entire party with Fire and claw.

For a while I pondered what the best use of dragons was in any type of media, well maybe not best, but as I would want it to be 'traditional' in my eyes. For me, it was in the Dragonlance novel series. It was sturdy, the plot and all things didn't hinge on dragons, but when they were introduced you could feel how badly the world had shat itself from fear of them.

Wise, powerful, not worldly concerned, yet willing to help a cause that interests them, this is what I believe dragons to be. In Might and Magic 7 or 8, if memory serves, there was a faction of dragons that even the slightest misstep would cause the whole horde to bare down on you like a space lazer on Camilot. Fear, awe, honor, and causion, in my world these are the things with which humans have for dragons.

I will admit the dragon factions in World of Warcraft were close, but just causally having them as mounts before dragons had a faction was strange, unless they were balls-deep in debt to you or respected you as an equal. After they had a faction is was more like, "My orders are to ensure your survival and the mission's success, meatbag."

They seem a bit overused to me as a creature of wonder and magic, but if you look at the world at large they tend to focus on one animal (fact or fictional) at a time, like when all of those 'penguin' movies came out all at once, or zoo-based movies, because people seem to like repitition a whole bunch.

/ramblings

okay, WAY more prevelant than Dragons in todays gaming market is Guns. from FPS shoot-a-thons, to RPG's, from Real Time to turn Based strategy, from sandbox crime to sandbox superhero, games are WAY more permeated by guns than dragons.

so tell me, do you think Guns are overdone and boring?

Phlakes:
But Skyrim had fucking awesome dragons that you kill with swords and that do things dynamically.

Like in the demo to where it picks up that giant guy and then he drops in the same look as when he was standing erect. Sorry, had to point that out, if the dynamics MADE SENSE, then I would be OK with it, but why shouldn't the dragon just say EFF THAT GUY and burn him alive with all of his brethren that were LITERALLY 10 FEET AWAY AND DIDN'T REACT! Thats the only selling point that really sounded interesting to me, that the world was dynamic, but then I remember Fable had been doing the same thing three times, granted each time it FAILED but still, its been doing the same thing.

This guy sums up my thoughts on the subject in one or two sentences.

Hiroshi Mishima:
I don't think it's quite reached the point where Dragons are the new Zombies (although it IS debatable that already happened with Dragonheart and Reign of Fire), however dragons do seem to be for fantasy as zombies are for horror/sci-fi.

Thats really true. I can't get enough of zombies, mainly because the dispatachable drones are more or less target practice, but Dragons I don't honestly like too much, other then the one from Dragon's Lair, that thing is beast.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked