Ways that Oblivion is superior to Skyrim

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

The omission of athletics and acrobatics was a strange idea. I was rather looking forward to leaping at people in the manner of a dual-wielding tarsier. Also, the dodge-roll ability would have saved me a great many deaths, seeing as I don't wear armour, shield or block.

Grunt_Man11:

Radeonx:

Grunt_Man11:

It's not a very good clue.

"Way Oblivion is superior to Skyrim."

That tells me at first glance that you are saying that Oblivion is superior to Skyrim plain and simple. It doesn't tell me that Oblivion had a few things that were better than Skyrim.

Next time try titling the thread something like, "A few things Oblivion does better than Skyrim."

"Ways that Oblivion is superior to Skyrim" obviously says the message that he didn't say Oblivion was better plain and simple. If he was doing that, he would've just said "Oblivion is superior to Skyrim". The ways makes it blatantly obvious that he was talking about just a few things.

No, it actually said to me, "Oblivion is superior then Skyrim and this is why."
The title is misleading. The keywords are "is" and "superior" here.

A couple of other better titles would be:
"Things I miss from Oblivion."
"Things, I think, were done better in Oblivion."

Well, I don't know what to tell you, because 95% of the other people in this thread were able to understand what he was saying just fine.

Crono1973:
I have found Skyrim to be a step down from Oblivion in a few ways:

- No athletics or acrobatics. Really, I want to run faster and jump further as I progress in the game.

- The character creator is worse than the one in Oblivion (which was pretty bad too)

- The UI is ugly compared to the one in Oblivion. It looks like it just has a white/gray frame.

- The UI was designed for looks (that's a failed attempt) rather than functionality. You can't sort your inventory, you can't view your character when equipping stuff.

- Oblivion performs better at it's worst than Skyrim does at it's worst, both compared on the PS3.

Well, there are a few and I know there are more because I have read about them on the Bethesda forums. What say you?

Actually it seems Skyrims performence is based on how much space your ps3 has lol. Mine is ok but my friends gets laggy after 20 hrs into game. Erased a few old games and BAM fixed. Bethseda is making patch tho

Ways that Oblivion is superior to Skyrim: None

Ways that Morrowind is superior to Oblivion: A great many

This is how we can view it:
Skyrim > Oblivion < Morrowind

DOOMGUY '93:
The only thing i dont like is how the friggin loadiing times are goddamn long!!!! jesus could come back, blow up the world with a hippo, become emporer of the universe then get defeated by bob barker and optimus prime by the time loading is only half done, seriously to me that is poor optimization. also the third person seems F'ed, over the shoulder non combat, behind the back so you cant see any thing in combat. see a problem?

Loading times are never longer than 2 seconds for me. So maybe its just you?

I'd totally be on board if this was a "Ways Morrowind is better than Skyrim topic" but I thought Oblivion was total shit.

Still deciding if I like Skyrim is better than Morrowind, but for now, it's Morrowind > Skyrim >>>>>>> Oblivion.

- No athletics or acrobatics. Really? You want to be able to unrealistically jump over people? And run faster than the horses?

Yes because casting fire from the palm of your hand is realistic. Realistic arguments hold no value when talking about a fantasy game.

- The character creation is much better than Oblivion, a lot more natural in the way you can manipulate the character. Plenty of choices for the look of your character

The realism argument again!

- The UI in Skyrim is amazing. It is so intuitive and sleek. It's really smooth. Also there are only 4 pieces of information that the player needs to know Magicka, Health and Stamina, And when you aren't in combat or using one of these stats, they hide. Very good UI design.

It's smooth, when you open the menu 90% of the time you have to give it a second before you can actually use it (PS3). It may not do that on 360 and PC, I don't know but from my perspective, it isn't smooth.

Also, if all you need to know about is MP, HP and Stamina then the game is really dumbed down. In reality though, when you are carrying too much and need to drop stuff, you need to be able to sort by weight and compare value and weight of several items at once, for example.

- The UI aesthetically looks very pleasing. As for the sorting, it sorts automatically by alphabetical order, I can understand if people want to manually sort their items. The lack of being able to view your character while you equip your items is not really a loss cos all you need to do is just go out of the menus and look at your character in 3rd person. Easy enough. Also I seriously doubt you are going to judge what armour you wear on just how it looks.

It looks like it belongs on the SNES. It's a frame and little more. It's like when Bioware went from attractive menus in Dragon Age to boring ones in Dragon Age II. Sorting alphabetically is pointless, you need to be able to sort by offense, defense, value and weight (like Oblivion). Tell me, is it more helpful to have a 3D look at your sword or a 3D look at your character? I think it is the latter.

Vandenberg1:

Crono1973:

- No athletics or acrobatics. Really, I want to run faster and jump further as I progress in the game.

- The character creator is worse than the one in Oblivion (which was pretty bad too)

- The UI is ugly compared to the one in Oblivion. It looks like it just has a white/gray frame.

- The UI was designed for looks (that's a failed attempt) rather than functionality. You can't sort your inventory, you can't view your character when equipping stuff.

- Oblivion performs better at it's worst than Skyrim does at it's worst, both compared on the PS3.

Well, there are a few and I know there are more because I have read about them on the Bethesda forums. What say you?

Actually it seems Skyrims performence is based on how much space your ps3 has lol. Mine is ok but my friends gets laggy after 20 hrs into game. Erased a few old games and BAM fixed. Bethseda is making patch tho

Mine got laggy after about 10 hours. I have 249 GB free.

One thing got my attention.

Crono1973:

Oh boy a different enemy avatar! Could be a cliff racer for all I care.

Dragons are way more than just a different enemy avatar. Apart from the inclusion and role in the lore of the game, they are a way to unlock extra powers, a dynamic generated event offering more diversity to outdoor treks, a way to get crafting resources and a special type of adversary with complex AI that is capable of doing much more than your random mob: flying, landing on enviroment meshes, grabbing actors, shooting while moving and even crash-landing.

They are most certainly NOT just an enemy with a different model. I don't know if you're ignorant or just being grumpy, but either way, you're wrong.

Also most of your other complaints are personal preference. I'd chalk it up to the "you changed it so now it sucks" mentality.

Radeonx:

Grunt_Man11:

Radeonx:

"Ways that Oblivion is superior to Skyrim" obviously says the message that he didn't say Oblivion was better plain and simple. If he was doing that, he would've just said "Oblivion is superior to Skyrim". The ways makes it blatantly obvious that he was talking about just a few things.

No, it actually said to me, "Oblivion is superior then Skyrim and this is why."
The title is misleading. The keywords are "is" and "superior" here.

A couple of other better titles would be:
"Things I miss from Oblivion."
"Things, I think, were done better in Oblivion."

Well, I don't know what to tell you, because 95% of the other people in this thread were able to understand what he was saying just fine.

Not from what I was reading. There were quite a few defensive replies that accused the OP of claiming that Oblivion is better than Skyrim in every way. I suspect these people only read the title and not the post.

lock picking, in my opinion, got a serious downgrade from oblivion, other than that, i can't say a single negative thing about it. job well done bethesda

similar.squirrel:
The omission of athletics and acrobatics was a strange idea. I was rather looking forward to leaping at people in the manner of a dual-wielding tarsier. Also, the dodge-roll ability would have saved me a great many deaths, seeing as I don't wear armour, shield or block.

Yes, when trying to get over mountains I realized what a loss it was that they took out acrobatics. I thought to myself "well, later in the game maybe I can jump higher and get over these" and then I remembered the skill is gone.

thespyisdead:
lock picking, in my opinion, got a serious downgrade from oblivion, other than that, i can't say a single negative thing about it. job well done bethesda

Actually, I think that is one of the improvements Skyrim has over Oblivion. I never learned how to pick locks in Oblivion, I used the auto button and bought every lockpick I could.

Oblivion had:
Dadrea (cause there mint)
Fighters Guild
Dark Brotherhood quest were good
better diolauge options

I like Skyrim, just Oblivion was more intersesting, besides I hate dragons....

Crono1973:

Ok to be fair, no the character creator isn't awful. It's not super detailed but it isn't bad. It's better than many other games. Also yes you can see your character when equipping stuff. Third person turn camera around and you can see yourself in the background of the menu. UI is MUCH improved, although only on consoles. The only thing that I liked oblivion for more was that it was funnier, zanier, and took itself less seriously. Oh and less technical bugs, but with bethesda i'm not surprised at all haha. To each his own though.

For consoles I think that the Skyrim UI is infinitely better than the UI on any previous Bethesda game. Their are a few negatives; items aren't sorted into categories when in a container and the world map is a little awkward to scroll around on, but the positives outweigh those massively.

Other than that my only gripe is that some skills are far too difficult to level up and some are far too easy; I've been using the hell out of Restoration magic and it's still lagging behind at 25, while all my other magic is approaching 50. On the other hand Conjuration is ridiculously easy to level up, you could easily get it from 20-30 in under a minute.

Everything else I've encountered so far has been tons better than anything I've seen in Oblivion.

Why do people always do this? As soon as a sequel comes out, people hate on it and say the prequel was better. They did the same thing with "Fable 2" and "Fable 3"; everyone complained about how terrible "Fable 2"'s features were, and how the story sucked, but Lionhead listened to what people's problems were and fixed them in the sequel, only to have the EXACT same people, who were complaining earlier, bitch about how terrible "Fable 3" is, and how GREAT "Fable 2" is. What the hell, people!?

The facts are, "Skyrim" is bigger, more interesting, and I enjoy it way more than "Oblivion" - which I didn't even finish the last forty percent of the game, because I was bored, and did not enjoy it.
Why do people have to hate on sequels?

I'm sorry for flying off the handle, but this kind of thing REALLY bugs me... Developers try to make a great game, and people piss all over it, then they try and fix the things most people had a problem with, and suddenly that's not good enough!? Maybe YOU should start making games then, "master".
God, I'm sore about this...

Literally the only thing i can think of right now is that the "hands" system actually takes away from the game. In oblivion, you could have three things at once (a shield, a weapon AND a spell), whereas in skyrim with its much more developed "hands" system, you can only ever do two things at once. If you need to cast heal mid-battle, you best hope you don't REALLY need to heal. Because as it is, you need to go into the favourites, select heal, cast heal, select sword, swing sword. Doesn't sound like much, but that takes a good 2 seconds between each selection (not to mention you can't just go swing happy, because you have to wait another half second to get into the ready stance) and it adds up. When you have some mean-arse hulk of an ice-troll casually taking bits of your brain out with each swing, those extra waisted seconds count... towards your death.

Thats pretty much it though, and although i did go on a bit, it's pretty damn near perfect. Unlike morrowind and oblivion, ive enjoyed playing it for hours on end.

In short, skyrim trumps oblivion on damn near everything in my opinion.

they should rename this place 'skyrimescapist.com' or something for the next few weeks.

poiumty:
One thing got my attention.

Crono1973:

Oh boy a different enemy avatar! Could be a cliff racer for all I care.

Dragons are way more than just a different enemy avatar. Apart from the inclusion and role in the lore of the game, they are a way to unlock extra powers, a dynamic generated event offering more diversity to outdoor treks, a way to get crafting resources and a special type of adversary with complex AI that is capable of doing much more than your random mob: flying, landing on enviroment meshes, grabbing actors, shooting while moving and even crash-landing.

They are most certainly NOT just an enemy with a different model. I don't know if you're ignorant or just being grumpy, but either way, you're wrong.

Also most of your other complaints are personal preference. I'd chalk it up to the "you changed it so now it sucks" mentality.

You don't need dragons to do any of those things and why is it that you think that dragons are the be all, end all of enemies? Maybe I have been playing video games too long but I just can't be impressed because they made dragons for this game. What do dragons do in this game that we haven't seen before in other games? Those shouts are just relabeled magic powers, for example, that first set of shouts lets you do a force push. It's fun, it was fun in Lego Star Wars too but it's nothing new.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect originality in Skyrim so it doesn't bother me that dragons don't do anything we haven't seen before in other games but I can't understand why everyone acts like they are the second coming of Christ.

Spanishax:
Why do people always do this? As soon as a sequel comes out, people hate on it and say the prequel was better. They did the same thing with "Fable 2" and "Fable 3"; everyone complained about how terrible "Fable 2"'s features were, and how the story sucked, but Lionhead listened to what people's problems were and fixed them in the sequel, only to have the EXACT same people, who were complaining earlier, bitch about how terrible "Fable 3" is, and how GREAT "Fable 2" is. What the hell, people!?

The facts are, "Skyrim" is bigger, more interesting, and I enjoy it way more than "Oblivion" - which I didn't even finish the last forty percent of the game, because I was bored, and did not enjoy it.
Why do people have to hate on sequels?

I'm sorry for flying off the handle, but this kind of thing REALLY bugs me... Developers try to make a great game, and people piss all over it, then they try and fix the things most people had a problem with, and suddenly that's not good enough!? Maybe YOU should start making games then, "master".
God, I'm sore about this...

There have been so many topics praising Skyrim since it came out on this forum, why is it that the opposite view can't be spoken? BTW, I don't hate Skyrim but I think there were some things Oblivion did better. Does it hurt your pride that I am not pissing myself over Skyrim?

Crono1973:

?

Right well let's take it point by point.

1) Athletics and acrobatics really broke the game even back in Morrowind, without them designers were able to create more interesting looking dungeons without the need of putting large walls in most sections just because "Hey a play can jump-get there".

2) Do elaborate since I have no idea what you are talking about.

3) Apples and Bannanas, as you say in a later point. It's designed for looks and some people like it and some people do not. I'm quite happy with how it looks.

4) Fair point there, it is quite annoying but I do not see a reason to get up in arms about it since it will be modded out soon enough

5) Sorry, but you buy it on an inferior gaming platform you are going to get an inferior experience. I'm not trying to take a swing at a console gamers, hell I even have three of the modern bastards sitting right under my TV.
But I will never use them for anything else then a console exclusive. Sorry but they do not perform well at all, they are bloody OLD and you have to accept that the games on them will not run good at all. The graphics on the computer on the other hand are quite good. Even better with the recent mod
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=131

But in the end it comes down to personal preference. And everyone is entitled to his own.

Dexiro:
Conjuration is ridiculously easy to level up, you could easily get it from 20-30 in under a minute.

I'm NOT the only one who thought that then! I agree with your entire post, but especially this bit!

The moment i got the bound sword spell, conjuration went up like mad! but of course, i kill damn near everything i come across with fire, and destruction is about 30... conjuration is about 52.

I've been working on a bit of a theory that for the spells it's not HOW MUCH you use it, but more WHAT you use... to be honest it's fairly obvious, but if you use harder to learn spells more often, the skill level will just rocket, whereas if you stick to the lower level ones it goes nowhere.

OFFTOPIC: Has anyone else come across the equilibrium spell? You will have if you have done the college quest line. Basically, it's like a mana healing potion, that uses health. Essentially, you can level up restoration by just using them both over and over again. Equilibrium to drain health/gain magicka, healing to drain magicka/gain health.

John-Kiwi Appleby:
Oblivion had:
better diolauge options

This I'll agree with.

The dialoge options in Skyrim don't really feel broad enough to cover multiple types of characteristics. It's either "do a mission" or "don't do a mission". Hell, numerous times you only get one single sentence.

DOOMGUY '93:
The only thing i dont like is how the friggin loadiing times are goddamn long!!!! jesus could come back, blow up the world with a hippo, become emporer of the universe then get defeated by bob barker and optimus prime by the time loading is only half done, seriously to me that is poor optimization. also the third person seems F'ed, over the shoulder non combat, behind the back so you cant see any thing in combat. see a problem?

Im assuming your not on PC because mine loads in seconds.

OT I am enjoying Skyrim Much more than I did Oblivion. Some of the things said in the OP bother me a little (I did miss acrobatics at the start of the game and the UI is a bit boring) but overall the things i disliked about Oblivion outway the things I dislike in Skyrim (Namely the Oblivion gates and the leveling system).

i7omahawki:

Crono1973:

Kahunaburger:
Number of dragons in Oblivion: 0
Number of dragons in Skyrim: infinity

I don't care and I have never cared about the inclusion of dragons. They're pretty weak anyway but let's be clear that dragons could be replaced with any other creature not present in previous TES games and I would have cared the same, none. To be even clearer, a rat is a wolf is a lion to me and a dragon is a giant is a mammoth to me. High level enemies and low level enemies are the only two types I see.

That everyone was so hyped that there were dragons in this game, I just never understood.

It shoots fire out its face as it flies in the air growling and taking out villagers?

Sorry, but it sounds like you're busy masturbating over stats rather than looking at the in-game action experience.

The fights are incredibly well done for something that isn't completely scripted, hell, even for something that is scripted. Point is: It really feels like you're fighting a dragon. That's something most people dreamed about as kids, for hundreds of years worth of generations. Name a game that does dragon fights better and I'll play it. 'High level' doesn't come close to capturing it for me.

Correction: dragons don't breathe fire, they shout.
Also, Oblivion had a copy paste world and copy paste npcs.
That is all.

1) Athletics and acrobatics really broke the game even back in Morrowind, without them designers were able to create more interesting looking dungeons without the need of putting large walls in most sections just because "Hey a play can jump-get there".

You don't understand the point of open world games do you? In Morrowind they gave you levitation for fuck sake, they obviously weren't concerned about high jump breaking the game. In Skyrim I think I actually ran into an invisible wall. I don't remember where but I remember thinking "is that an invisible wall in an Elder Scrolls game?" I could be wrong though, has anyone else found an invisible wall?

Do elaborate since I have no idea what you are talking about.

I remember not being able to change my hair color and not liking the presets. I don't think I could change hair length either, not sure about that one. While the models look better, you simply have less freedom in creating them.

4) Fair point there, it is quite annoying but I do not see a reason to get up in arms about it since it will be modded out soon enough

I haven't picked up a weapon over it, just mentioning it in a forum post is not "up in arms". Also, mods don't count if you are playing on a PS3 and mods don't count when judging the game as Bethesda has released it.

Isn't it funny how everyone depends on non paid modders to fix Bethesda's game but somehow no one sees that as a problem?

5) Sorry, but you buy it on an inferior gaming platform you are going to get an inferior experience. I'm not trying to take a swing at a console gamers, hell I even have three of the modern bastards sitting right under my TV.

Maybe Bethesda should have sold the PS3 version for less since it is inferior? No, that inferior platform nonsense doesn't work since a game released on any platform should be perfectly playable on that platform.

Besides, Skyrim was built for consoles, the 360 specifically and then ported to the PS3 and PC.

A legitimite complaint is how short guilds are. Going way back to Morrowind, you had to do missions for multiple guild buildings in different cities to slowly rank up. Becoming head of a guild was a lot of work. In Oblivion they were shorter but you still had to do a lot of stuff.

Crono1973:

Kahunaburger:
Number of dragons in Oblivion: 0
Number of dragons in Skyrim: infinity

I don't care and I have never cared about the inclusion of dragons. They're pretty weak anyway but let's be clear that dragons could be replaced with any other creature not present in previous TES games and I would have cared the same, none. To be even clearer, a rat is a wolf is a lion to me and a dragon is a giant is a mammoth to me. High level enemies and low level enemies are the only two types I see.

That everyone was so hyped that there were dragons in this game, I just never understood.

So games are strictly numbers to you?

Crono1973:

You don't need dragons to do any of those things and why is it that you think that dragons are the be all, end all of enemies? Maybe I have been playing video games too long but I just can't be impressed because they made dragons for this game. What do dragons do in this game that we haven't seen before in other games? Those shouts are just relabeled magic powers, for example, that first set of shouts lets you do a force push. It's fun, it was fun in Lego Star Wars too but it's nothing new.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect originality in Skyrim so it doesn't bother me that dragons don't do anything we haven't seen before in other games but I can't understand why everyone acts like they are the second coming of Christ.

One might argue that giant mosquitos could fill the role of flying monsters that can spew fire and land on houses, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who prefers them to the current choice.

I never said anything about a be all end all. I merely outlined their usefulness as a game mechanic. If you want to talk about it from a sentimental point of view, tell me one more game that does dragons this way. Sure, a lot of games *have* dragons, but there's precious few who can render the conflict between them and main character in such a personal and non-scripted nature. In Skyrim, killing a dragon is satisfying and rewarding, much more than killing your average mob. It's not the fact that there be dragons in Skyrim, it's the fact that you can personally engage one in a direct fight of pure strength, anywhere, at any level and you're guarranteed at least a little diversity from fight to fight.

From a storyline perspective, you are the Dovahkiin. The game makes it clear that you're the only one who can permanently kill the things and that it's your responsibility to smack them whenever they engage you. It gets the level of conflict down to a more personal nature, something only you can do, something that sets your character apart, without being a pointless demoninator like Spectre or Grey Warden that only serves a purpose in scripted plot events. The impact is akin to the Pocket Plane ability in Throne of Bhaal: you could use it at any time, and it made your character feel truly special as it gave it a measure of power.

Shouts are magic that everyone can use and that cost nothing. More importantly, shouts are rewards. Rewards for exploration, rewards for completing difficult dungeons, rewards for killing dragons. From a game design perspective, this puts them on a completely different level to spells. Spells are things you buy that you shoot at enemies. Shouts are things you earn.

Understand now why Skyrim's dragons make the game better?

Crono1973:

Also isnt there something under one of the skill trees that makes u run faster. I can't quite recall but I think its somewhere in the theif.
Also I found the character creator to be nice and actually functions alot better than in oblivion.

Just a bunch of presets. Most of which suck.

Okay, at the absolute least, you're exaggerating there. Unless you actually never went beyond the character presets, in which case, that was dumb.

Most of the points people are making are merely opinionated, so you can't really say they make the game actually any worse. For example, I couldn't care less about Athletics and Acrobatics. It was nice to have it, but I really don't miss it and for some it was apparently game breaking (*jumps* *suddenly flies 50 feet*) that said, I did everything I wanted to before hitting the level cap on most of my characters, and I had a lot of stuff weighing me down, so I can't say just how bad it got.

The only two things I miss at all are being able to look at my character in the pause menu (though going third person while he's just standing is about good enough) and being able to ask guards for directions. It's a perfectly good trade off for the pluses. As for the people saying "who gives a fuck about a dragon avatar" do seem to be simplifying things a lot. Plus, aesthetic value contributes hugely to the experience.

Also preemptively I'll just say: I'm not a huge skyrim fanboy, but I dislike people getting angry about a game not tailoring itself to their exact desires as though they're gospel. Also, I'm not sure how keeping a constant eye on your character development as opposed to just choosing majors and sitting on your thumbs for the rest of the game is dumbing it down. I think both systems have their merits, but I definitely think this one's better for micromanagers.

The one thing I think Oblivion does better than Skyrim is the Guild quests. In Oblivion, you had to put a decent effort forth to become leader guy. In Skyrim, you're Uber Master High Champion God King after two or three quests. It felt more than a bit rushed.

Past that, however, Skyrim is far superior IMO.

RanD00M:

Crono1973:

RanD00M:

Which is kinda funny because Skyrim for the most part has this lifeless gray all over it. I would take the colour of Oblivion any day over Skyrim, but that is also one of the few thing that I would take from Oblivion over Skyrim.

Yes me too. I know it is considered kiddy to prefer brighter colors to bland ones but I prefer the brighter colors.

Also some of the meadows in Oblivion were just so beautiful. That is something that Skyrim can not do to me because of the lack of bright colours.

Well that's just a matter of taste. I like the view from the mountains or even looking at the mountains with a pine forest around it's base. I think that's because I've always found mountains pretty.

2 things.
thieves guild and dark brotherhood.
both guilds kind of sucked compared to oblivion's thieves guild and dark brotherhood.

Well I dislike that the UI got even more consoley... Why cant bethseda just give PC's their own PC optimized menu system that works nicely with a mouse. I cant imagine its that difficult.
The dark brotherhood storyline is better, but the individual quests aren't quite as good.
While you still cant kill children (since in Oblivion there weren't any), now they stand in front of you and act like spoiled rotten brats, taunting you even, making me really wish I could. Thankfully there should be a mod that fixes that.
I have mixed feelings about the new skill system cause now it doesn't break the game. In oblivion some of the stuff you could do was pretty fun, but at the same time, it was immersion breaking. At the moment im leaning towards the new system. I do prefer choosing perks over getting a preset perk every 25 lvls.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked