Poll: What if Bioware picked Shepard's first name for you?

Pages PREV 1 2

I know plenty of people that go by only their last name. I had a friend in highschool that I knew for years before I even learned his first name.

I see nothing wrong with calling him/her by his/her last name... It's just what he/she likes to be called, as far as I'm concerned.

I see it as "Hey John." "Please, call me Shepard." Y'know?

Plus, I like naming my Shepard. Makes them a bit more personal.

DeadSp8s:
Joker isn't a first name, is it?

Nope, it's a nickname.

OT: I do kindof like being able to name my various Shepards, but I wouldn't have minded them to have been named by Bioware.

Mind you, it would bother me if they decided that regardless of the name you gave them in Mass Effect 1 & 2 [male]Shep is now "John" and [fem]Shep is now "Jane" or "Jessica" or "Jiowqruiejwhfakejrhia".

Edit: an idea; (at the start of the first game) Bioware lets us choose our Shapard/Protagonist's name from a medium list of possible names. That way, we can have the separation talked about previously, we avoid having Shepard being named "Commander [expletive] Shepard", and Bioware can have the occasional "using Shep's first name" situation.

spectrenihlus:
Personally I can't wait for the day that technology will have advanced to the point where game characters will use a name you provided in a natural way. Until then I think that you either go just text or they give you a name.

Codemasters sort of did this with games like Dirt 2[ and F1: 2010 (and I assume the sequels, I haven't played them). You got to choose your name from a big list and all the in-game voice actors would use that name when talking to you. If your name wasn't on the list, you got to choose a nickname.

It worked pretty well, but voice acting was pretty simplistic on those games too. I can imagine it getting almost unmanageable when we're talking about a game with the scope of Mass Effect. Plus it can detract from the experience when your name isn't one of the ones on the list - mine was for Dirt 2, but I had to settle for a nickname in F1:2010 for some reason.

edit

AD-Stu:

spectrenihlus:
Personally I can't wait for the day that technology will have advanced to the point where game characters will use a name you provided in a natural way. Until then I think that you either go just text or they give you a name.

Codemasters sort of did this with games like Dirt 2[ and F1: 2010 (and I assume the sequels, I haven't played them). You got to choose your name from a big list and all the in-game voice actors would use that name when talking to you. If your name wasn't on the list, you got to choose a nickname.

It worked pretty well, but voice acting was pretty simplistic on those games too. I can imagine it getting almost unmanageable when we're talking about a game with the scope of Mass Effect. Plus it can detract from the experience when your name isn't one of the ones on the list - mine was for Dirt 2, but I had to settle for a nickname in F1:2010 for some reason.

I'm talking about an advanced version of text to speech programs.

There are plenty of first names that fit either male or female. I'd be okay with it. Hell, I'd prefer there to be some sort of first name based dialog. Makes things more intimate.

I can think of a few people mildly disappointed that they couldn't name their Shepard "German", but nothing more than that.

I do think it'd be cool, but then it would feel like I was loosing my first RPG gaming amendment. The right to call my character what ever random $#!+ I want.

This wouldn't bother me in the slightest, so long as they let me name my carers so I can keep them straight, having six "John/Jane Shepard's" in a list would give me a headache fast.

Names mean little to me, as long as I am still able to choose the actions that my character will make they can call him what ever they want. It isn't a name that makes someone anyway.

Pandabearparade:
I'd rather they not pick a surname or a first name, personally. I miss the days of playing your own character in a role-playing game.

errr miss the days Im pretty sure theres one that came out around november last year...

as everyone simply calls you "Shepard!" (alternatively: "Shepard."), the first name is so unimportant that i wouldn't give it a second thought. at all. ever.

chest high walls, "sex" as a reward for pressing the right... buttons...(and calling it romance), dumbified gameplay and a story only bearable when you turn your brains off while shooting the 3762nd generic opponent (did i mention they claim ME is a rpg? ^^ ) because: sense - it makes none, and lines so cheesy and uninspired that even a Jennifer Hale cannot sound like she's *in* the role, oversexualised (female) characters (guys, ME is not a japanese game, fans don't expect that amount of that shameless fanservice... i hope.), and a sad excuse for a final boos, now THESE are things bothering me, but the firstdamnname? certainly not ^^

and before anyone gets an idea and tells me to "stfu bc if u dont liek teh gaem tehn dont pley itt": yes, these things bothered me; yes, i played ME 2 nevertheless (after a good year's break ^^ ) because as a dumbed down shooter with aliens to screw, it can be shortwhile fun; mostly. sometimes a passages feels stretched much more than delicate cheese on a good, hot pizza

ME I >> ME II

Pat8u:

errr miss the days Im pretty sure theres one that came out around november last year...

Yeah, but that used to be an integral part of most western RPGs. The JRPGs would give you a canned character to play, usually a broody one with a big bottle of hair gel, and a western RPG would let you make your own character with his own motivations.

Now you get Hawke, who lives in Kirkwall, and can't actually do anything a sensible person would want him to do.

Zen Toombs:
Edit: an idea; (at the start of the first game) Bioware lets us choose our Shapard/Protagonist's name from a medium list of possible names. That way, we can have the separation talked about previously, we avoid having Shepard being named "Commander [expletive] Shepard", and Bioware can have the occasional "using Shep's first name" situation.

Huh. That never occurred to me, but I think it's a pretty good idea. They already record different lines of dialogue depending on your gender, your behavior, etc., so I don't think it'd be a big deal to record a few different first names. Here's hoping they try that in the future.

Smeggs:
Well, Bioware did pick his name. Johnathan Shepard. The name is based off of the first man to be sent to space. And I think the female's default is Jessica or something.

I'd be totally cool with characters referring to him as John every now and again. It'd help some of the emotional scenes. I never think of his first name when playing. He's literally just Shepard. Shepard is his name and the only one he has.

yup this.

it's the tiniest bit of text in a fully dialogued game...really, it wouldn't bug me in the slightest, and mentioned in the quote, it would probably add a bit of emotion to certain relationships calling you by your first name.

plus we wouldn't get those weird wrex/shephard moments where all it is is:

"Wrex."

"Shepard."

"Wrex."

"Shepard."

....wtf?

Smeggs:
Well, Bioware did pick his name. Johnathan Shepard. The name is based off of the first man to be sent to space. And I think the female's default is Jessica or something.

I'd be totally cool with characters referring to him as John every now and again. It'd help some of the emotional scenes. I never think of his first name when playing. He's literally just Shepard. Shepard is his name and the only one he has.

This is my stand point on the topic, the first name is obsolete. I would not care if Bioware gave him/her a designated first name, as it would add to the immersion and story. But it is too late to change that, because to me, my character in ME is Shepard.

Well In my game his first name is "The". I got the idea from a fellow escapist to do this and now I just imagine he's a timelord. It has been a great deal of fun.

That said; I'd have no issues with them naming Shepard.

Wouldn't bother me. I'm not much for naming my characters in games anyway, but at least they game him half a name to make dialogue work. Beats Final Fantasy X where everyone just avoids saying your name.

Probably not, and honestly, using a different name would break down the symbolic meaning of the characters name. Having a character called Mctittypants and being referred to as such breaks the symbolic reference to the name Shepard- the idea that your character is the person guiding a whole galaxy of sheep that only want to keep their blinders on.

i like to name my characters funny names. like

Mike Hawke
Obama Shepard
Mrs Shepard [a Male Character]

No. Having a surname like Shepard is already bad enough

Yes, but only on the condition that they gave you a list of names to choose from.
One name may be totally awesome for one person and completely awful for another.

Isn't Shepard's first name Commander?

Shrug I wouldn't mind, personally I rarely get called by my proper first name and have a friend who is only ever referred to by his surname even by his girlfriend.

Relationships bit weird with the surname but they can get around that with stuff like my love and sweetie and honey and stuff I suppose.

Fable 2 was not bad where you had titles and you picked one and people would refer to you by that and there were a lot of options

I take it many people don't know to much about the military, in the military people go by rank and last name. First names are usually not used unless you are close friends and even then you tend to continue using their last name anyway because it just sounds right. Its an on going saying in the Army that you shouldn't even learn the first name of the people over you because it will only get you into trouble lol.

If your the commanding officer its ok for you to address everyone below you with their first name but it is not ok for them to address you in that manner since they are below you in rank. The whole last name thing just sticks and rarely people ever went by first name, more so in combat units because of the projected "gung ho" mentality they want everyone to radiate and live by.

Even to this day I still keep in touch with my old tank commander that I served with and refer to him as "Sergeant Judy" because it just makes more sense to me then to call him "Chris".

Reaper195:

Aside front hat very reason, there is no need to even have a first name in the games. It doesn't even appear in any random Codex articles in the first game, nor any e-mails in the second.

Front hat... I've got to say if you're going to make a spelling error, it should be this hilarious. Props to you sir, this made me laugh out loud during a lecture class, and garnered me some very strange looks.

In regard to the topic, I'm terrible at picking names, and as long as I maintain control of choices and personality, I would love to have a set first name that meant it could be used in voice dialogue.

To those who hate voiced dialogue, I've got to say, I like it so much that it made me like dragon age 2 MORE than origins. I know, sacrilege. Main characters without voices just seem so.. surreal to me. Like cardboard cutouts with no personalities or emotions, no matter how well written your dialogue choices are. Just sayin.

It wouldn't matter to me. I never see my chosen first name anyway.

I would, however, like a set of preset names to choose from. Just another short list of things for voice actors to repeat.

It's the only middle-ground I can think of.

I'd have to hope that someone already brought this up, but I'm pretty certain that Bioware does pick Shepard's name in ME 1: it's John. :P

Granted, you can change it to whatever you want, but John for MaleShep and Jane for FemShep are the defaults. :3

I think they made the 'Shepard' bit work - I like the ability to name Shepard how I choose more than the addition of a voiced first name that isn't really necessary.

What is the point of having a first name if no one ever uses it? Seriously. It is similar to picking a name in TES games. The name you pick doesn't matter because no one ever uses your name. I love TES btw so don't think I am hating on it.

I wouldn't really mind if Shepard was called either Keanu, Bob, Achmed or anything for that matter. It should at the very least be a bit of an original name, not John or Harry.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked