Scariest Moment in Gaming?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Alma, that really made my heart skip. ^^

EDIT: fixed link

Half-life.

First time I encountered a Barnacle.

And that tentacle thing that destroys you if you make a sound.

Elmoth:
The first xlab in Shadow of Chernobyl.

I was going to say the whole freaking game.
It's terrifying to know that, even though you're armed with enough guns and ammo to take out an army, you could still die if you make one small mistake.

And bloodsuckers are the personification of CREEEEEPY!!!

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines does have some fantastic scares, the hotel, some of the sidequests.

Dragon age: origins and awakening would have had some of the worst ones out there, but unfortunately, the perspective and the power level of your characters just didn't translate well to it. Divinity 2's expansion pack had the same problem, the whole atmosphere was changed into really creepyness, but your character is too powerful for it to be scary, and third person doesn't lend itself to horror very well.

Penumbra was scary as all hell, until that place with two many dogs, you just died over and over and it got frustrating instead, you realised you just respawned a short bit away.

I think I'd have to give it to F.E.A.R. since it's got a LOT of sickeningly scary parts, at least the first and second game, and the expansion packs for the first, but it got less scary when you could just kill the spirit thingies by shooting them, and the second, while it had some parts (that bloody school) that were bad as hell, you get a bit too much of a separation between the combat and the scary. I mean, I wouldn't be able to survive a single fight if the scary things were there at the same time, but still, it feels a bit too disconnected.

Thief 2 probably takes the prize. Zombies. Fucking zombies getting back from the dead, very limited ways of killing them, and I was probably too young when I played it.

The first hour of The Suffering, it built up fear and tension very well, it's just a shame that when the enemies started appearing more commonly the fear and tension was gone. Saying that, there were still patches of scares throughout the game.

First time hearing the Heaven Smiles in Killer 7

deserteagleeye:

The Wykydtron:
-snip-

Don't know if you've seen the Dunwich building but...yeah....Fuck that place.

I totally forgot about that! The freaking obelisk man!

You guys please don't be mean about spoilers for ME3. I mean the game has been out for a while so =p

Hipsy_Gypsy:

illas:
The first monster in Amnesia: The Dark Descent; and every subsequent monster encounter.

Being unable to fight back (at all) increases the terror by several magnitudes, to the extent that I had to stop frequently because my hands were shaking too hard and my nerves were wrecked.

If it makes you feel better, dear:

I won't say that this did make me feel better. But it was Amnesia and it didn't make me feel worse; so that's progress, right?

Dair1:
Every moment for about 80% of Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Plus, it's nice to know I'm not alone in this...

Wheatley:
You guys please don't be mean about spoilers for ME3. I mean the game has been out for a while so =p

It's still a huge dick move.

illas:

I won't say that this did make me feel better. But it was Amnesia and it didn't make me feel worse; so that's progress, right?

Of course it is! I'll have to get my hands on the game myself, actually; it looks fantastically jumpy!

Freezy_Breezy:

Fr]anc[is:
The haunted hotel in VtM:B. Whoever did the sound design for that section is a master

The absolute pinnacle of sound design in anything ever. Masterful atmosphere.

The Crotch:
"ICARUS HAS FOUND YOU. RUN WHILE YOU CAN."

I liked this one because it wasn't pushed into your face, it was just something you found as you were looking around.

Spoilers, prick.

Even if he changes it in his post, people can still see YOUR quote of him with the spoiler in it. Don't call him a prick if you're just gonna do the same thing by quoting him. This is a massive pet peeve of mine as many times i've had games ruined because someone has gone "sorry" and spoilered it, for me to find out someone like you hasn't later on.

Now, OT: Honestly, the first bit of Bioshock when the door closed in the lighthouse and you were in complete darkness. Even though it was only for a second, I was freaked. In fact, speaking of that, the dentist room where if you turn around after picking up an item one is right in your face. Arseholes, whoever thought of that needs a high five and a punch in the face.

Also this:

Edit: Yes, the fun is near the end. This game has a blink meter. It will scare the hell out of you.

Minecraft at 3 in the morning. Mining away to get some more crap for my current project and throw a torch down to see whats ahead and OMFG Creeper two feet away. I aways jump at that.

Also the sounds that happen when you are near a large cave. Those make me flinch a little.

Probably the first time I ever got introduced to Redeads. Through their usual method of greeting, shrieking and humping you to drain half your health bar.

That time during STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl where you're all like "Hey, Military up above--let's go into dark tunnels, hear some growling, and then get killed by some growling invisible mutant that comes out of your ass in the middle of a dark hallway." That was pretty frightening to me. (Now that I have a Winchester, they aren't so bad)
Also, when meet a Controller later in that level-lights go out, sound pitches and then ears ring, and zooms in on some mutant's face, shoving his hand at you, and your life dying in the corner.

And also, call me a wuss if you must...but, probably another scary moment for me was getting the bad ending for Kirby 64...that fairy with the evil smirk and the glowy red eyes...BRRR.

The ending to dead space...... I do believe that was the first time i've ever crapped my pants and flipped over backwards in my chair (i was sitting very very close to the tv so it didn't help)

dogstile:
Even if he changes it in his post, people can still see YOUR quote of him with the spoiler in it. Don't call him a prick if you're just gonna do the same thing by quoting him. This is a massive pet peeve of mine as many times i've had games ruined because someone has gone "sorry" and spoilered it, for me to find out someone like you hasn't later on.

Ah, good point. I shall keep this in mind

Edit:

dogstile:
Also this:

Edit: Yes, the fun is near the end. This game has a blink meter. It will scare the hell out of you.

Ah-ha! I recognise this. I wish people made more games out of creepypasta.

There's a lot of non-horror in this thread. Unexpected.
I'm going to ignore Amnesia for the moment because that's pretty much a no-brainer. Two parts in Silent Hill 2 come into mind, the bit in the top floor of the first apartment building where you hear that noise coming from behind a door (I thought I had to go into that room, shat bricks for a few full minutes, sidetracked to the adjacent rooms to put off going in, but then I reluctantly tried the door and it couldn't open. Konami, you crazy.) and a the part where you walk down that really long staircase towards a monstery noise that gets louder as you approach. That also turned out to be nothing, but it scared me at the time.

Also, any part in Silent Hill 4 with Victims or Doubleheads. Jeeeezus christ that game is underrated.

I didn't play much of Thief, but what little I did play scared the shit out of me (I was pretty young) and apparently just the words "Return to the Cathedral" are enough to make most fans piss their pants.

All of Condemned: Criminal Origins.

And most of Condemned 2: Bloodshot.

the starting sequence of BIOSHOCK. where you have no weapons, no knowledge of your surroundings, and then you hear the psychotic rants of men trying to bash there way towards you... scary.

Dragon Age: Origins, Hespith's Poem. It was about 3:00 a.m., I had been playing since early afternoon so the room was dark and that creepy whisper as I was fighting in the ruins. I had to get up and turn on all the lights because it creeped me out so much.

Elmoth:
The first xlab in Shadow of Chernobyl.

Absolutely this. That damn invisible monster!

When I was little I would say it was facing The Butcher in Diablo.
I remember I once waited until I had been through the entire game except for diablo himself before I finally went back to face the butcher, beat him in two hits, but thats because i was much stronger than i was meant to be when facing him :P .

the time before that though ((begin story time)) :

I go up to the door fearfully, i knew what awaited me inside. After working up the courage, I click on it, and the butcher's voice cries out -

"Agghhh! Fresh Meat...".

My courage evaporating in an instant I frantically close the door again, running back and waiting for him to come through... except he doesn't.

Ok, can't open doors, good. Again I build up the courage to open that door, in that split second I see the butcher inside, he's making his way around the corpses, towards me. I run for dear life, escaping, but this time leaving the door open.

Satisfied i have outrun him, I circle around back to the middle of the level where his room is.
The butcher must be somewhere in the eastern part of the level (since I had run that way when he was chasing).
Perfect! I'm safe for now. I walk around the butchers room just be be sure, but he's gone. curious at the novelty of having the butchers room with no butcher to guard it, I decide to go check it out

The doorway to the room was on the eastern side, so to avoid him potentially seeing me and coming back, I walk just inside the entrace and close the door to the butcher's room behind me. neat, I'm in his room. I walk out into the middle.

"AGGHH! FRESH MEAT!"

The butcher is right there, running at me from the corner of the room. He was waiting in the room all along, up against the eastern wall, hiding behind a corpse so that neither of us saw each other untill i walked into the middle there. He hadn't chased me out of the room, i'd run off to quickly, and now i'd just closed myself in the room with him.

Scared the crap out of me man XD can you blame me for avoiding him on that next play through? :P

------

As for modern day... I don't know, maybe one of the bits from Doom 3. They could be pretty frightening. ((after playing doom 3, half life 2's ravenholm really wasn't very scary for me))

Dead space; having to deal with the Hunter WITH NO AMMO

only i time i was legitimately scared in that game.

The Wykydtron:
The damn Giant Ants in Fallout 3... That scuttling sound that they make really scares me. Yes they're low level but they are fucking scary when you don't know where they are.

That one dungeon near Megaton, the school that has a nest of them underneath it. I fucking had to leg it out of there in a blind panic just because I couldn't find the last few ants that were making that infernal noise.

Probably because they just made the noise continue anyway after all the ants are dead just to freak you out. It was an entire nest of them after all.

Also Mirelurks, fucking scary bastards. Yet I oddly enjoyed the mission where you have to sneak into a lair to plant a beacon amongst their eggs without killing any of them. Y'know a Mirelurk hater's worst nightmare. Funny that.

I think good scary sections in non-horror games are worse than the scares in actual horror games. Like you don't expect it to just go bam! Scary section activate! At least in horror games you know what you're getting yourself into.

Oh I...mmm....those damn ants...I....*shakes head.* I just recently seriously got into Fallout 3 and those fuckers piss me off so much. The sound they make drives me crazy. Have you been to grayditch? I won't say anymore in case you haven't, but that section...I had more jump scares because of those...and I died SO many times.

As for scariest moment...I have to agree with the OP because that's as far as my scary gaming goes, the dark cave in Fable 3. I just can't stand playing horror and scary games. I tried playing Bioshock because it did seem really cool...and quit within about ten minutes because it was putting me too much on edge. But I can watch playthroughs with little to no upset.

Every 10 seconds in Amnesia :D

Lets watch some crazy yanks scream over it! :D

dogstile:

Also this:

Blink meter. Stroke of fucking genius. Downloading.

EDIT: Still in production? Aww...

Kahunaburger:

dogstile:

Also this:

Blink meter. Stroke of fucking genius. Downloading.

EDIT: Still in production? Aww...

I was about to mention it was still in production. Bay 12 has a thread up watching its development if you want to follow it. Their are other SCP games you can download in the meantime.

Also, dr.who totally ripped off scp-173 :P

One time in silent hill 2. Walked into a room I already thought I'd cleared. I let my guard down. Walked though a door into a bedroom.

Suddenly the camera angle changes, the radio static hits me at full volumn and there's a nurse stood right be side the door frame.

FUCK EVERYTHING AND RUN!!!

Never jumped so much in my life. Fuck that game, it's too scary for me.

Sniper Team 4:
There's a part in Silent Hill 3 that got me so bad I literally fell off of my bed. No, it wasn't the manequin part. I'm talking about the part in the amusement park where you meet "Danny." Oh man...jumped so bad.

I did a speedrun of the HD SH3 last night and even though I expected it, that still got me.
Every time, bro.

For me, the boat level in Call of Cthulhu - DCotE is top ranking.

The zombie squirrel level in Conker's Bad Fur Day *shudder* ...the rest of the game is silly and hilarious but you get to that part and everything changes. The only way to kill them is a shot to the head (duh) and they walk slow until they get close to you, at which point they rush you at a speed that makes it damn near impossible to aim, steady, and shoot. Unless you're lucky. Not to mention, the noises they make are the creepiest noises I've ever heard in my life. All in all, I think that's the most difficult part of the game along with being the scariest.

Hipsy_Gypsy:

illas:

Of course it is! I'll have to get my hands on the game myself, actually; it looks fantastically jumpy!

Do! Definitely do!

Just, be prepared for an... intense experience.
(and some slightly clunky controls).

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked