Dark Souls - PC Port confirmed!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Hammeroj:
Q,E,R,T,Z,X,C,V,1,2,3,4,5,Space,Shift,Alt,Tab,Control[1]. Don't see where the problem is.

I don't see what could possibly be awkward about not putting every single action up on the mouse. Have you played, like, any RPG on the PC? Or even a shooter?

I'm just explaining their point of view.

The spacial organization of the controls is much better suited to a controller than mouse and keyboard. I'm not saying it can't work, it definitely can. But it will take a lot more getting used to than with a controller.

And I really doubt that From Software will bother to implement special PC controls. Just re-bound console controls.

[1] These aren't hard to reach.

I like how everyone assumes FROM is doing the port, when NamcoBandai could have very well hired a third party to do it. We don't know yet.

The only thing I can say about this is:

FUCK YEAH!

From Software I love you!

AnythingOutstanding:

The spacial organization of the controls is much better suited to a controller than mouse and keyboard. I'm not saying it can't work, it definitely can. But it will take a lot more getting used to than with a controller.

And I really doubt that From Software will bother to implement special PC controls. Just re-bound console controls.

Seriously, I don't know what you're talking about. I'd like to hear the exact functions mapped to those buttons.

My interests

This is relevant to them

AnythingOutstanding:

kayisking:
Welp, there goes my free time.

Also, for those wondering it says: The rock-hard console-RPG finally conquers your pc.

As far as PC games go, the difficulty is below average. Just that the COD kiddies think that actually having to think for once makes the game nightmarishly hard.

Captain, strawman directly ahead! Seriously, have you actually played the game?

AC10:
I like how everyone assumes FROM is doing the port, when NamcoBandai could have very well hired a third party to do it. We don't know yet.

Well, the addition of new bosses would heavily indicate From is involved in development.

Hammeroj:

AnythingOutstanding:

Seriously, I don't know what you're talking about. I'd like to hear the exact functions mapped to those buttons.

The buttons I'm thinking of are for the primary functions. Which differs depending on what weapons and/or items you currently have equipped. If you have a broad sword in your right hand and a kite shield in your left hand, this is is what it would look like:

R1: Attack
L1: Block
R2: Strong attack
L2: Parry

I honestly have a hard time imagining trying to play Dark souls with any of those functions being mapped anywhere other than on a mouse. The only one that I can possibly see being mapped somewhere else is the parry function. But that's ASSUMING you have a shield in your left hand. What if you have a second sword? Or a heavy shield for bashing objects?

Wait, wait, wait, wait.

Wait.

Wait, wait.

Wait.

There's going to be extra content?

I hope we get that extra content...

RedEyesBlackGamer:

AC10:

Well, the addition of new bosses would heavily indicate From is involved in development.

From Software said that they were considering doing it earlier last month. So it is most likely them.

I'm a little surprised it wasn't outsourced. That probably would have been better for the game that way.

AnythingOutstanding:
The buttons I'm thinking of are for the primary functions. Which differs depending on what weapons and/or items you currently have equipped. If you have a broad sword in your right hand and a kite shield in your left hand, this is is what it would look like:

I honestly have a hard time imagining trying to play Dark souls with any of those functions being mapped anywhere other than on a mouse. The only one that I can possibly see being mapped somewhere else is the parry function. But that's ASSUMING you have a shield in your left hand. What if you have a second sword? Or a heavy shield for bashing objects?

How does parry differ from block?

Hammeroj:

If you time your parry to match up with your opponent's attack, it exposes the enemy and allows you to perform a ripost. Which is a super powerful attack that is especially useful for taking on enemy humanoid opponents with powerful defenses and lots of stamina. When used right, it is one of your most useful moves to use against some of the later enemies of the game.

Hammeroj:

AnythingOutstanding:

Parry deflects an opponent's attack so that they're left open to a counter attack.

Parry doesn't defend anything, however, so you have to make sure that your timing is perfect or you leave yourself wide open for a beating.

AnythingOutstanding:

Hammeroj:
Q,E,R,T,Z,X,C,V,1,2,3,4,5,Space,Shift,Alt,Tab,Control[1]. Don't see where the problem is.

I don't see what could possibly be awkward about not putting every single action up on the mouse. Have you played, like, any RPG on the PC? Or even a shooter?

It's incorrect, though. I use both keyboard AND controller, and using a LM, MM, RM and SPACE scheme is EASIER than the ABXY configuration, as the buttons are easier to reach. Seriously, I have to move my fingers to reach the Y button, I don't have to move my hands at all to stay on the keyboard layout.

[1] These aren't hard to reach.

Well, this is superb news, Dark Souls/Demons Souls are both games that I´ve always wanted to play, but i did not have a console to play those. And now, they`re coming to PC. This is indeed quite a happy day. Tho i dislike how much bickering and arguing is going on here. Can`t we all be rainbows and unicorns and fluffy friends, or something along the lines of that?

No? I thought so.... If i were a panda, this would make me a sad panda. But alas, I am not.

AnythingOutstanding:

Hammeroj:

AnythingOutstanding:

Block on spacebar, like I use in other RPGs. There.

AnythingOutstanding:

Hammeroj:
Where the fuck is this "I don't know how it will work on keyboard+mouse" talk coming from?

Not psyched about the actual game all that much, but I'll probably buy it.

The basic gameplay requires consistent use of four primary buttons that are in the same headspace as each other.

A mouse usually only goes up to three buttons. Putting any of those functions on the keyboard will be extremely awkward.

It's not going to work as well as a controller, but I don't mind that so much since you can plug in a controller and you're good to go.

games have been doing this for ages, it's called "holding" down a button which makes the other buttons do other things. therefore, holding down any of the 30+ keys that your hand has access to to make your mouse buttons do the two other functions is more than user friendly/acceptable.

and that's if they are actually going to implement it, and even then, the "fancy cool" thing about the pc is, guess what? you can use a controller! it's quite nifty/top of the line stuff that just came out.

lacktheknack:

Space bar seems like it is better for dodge rolling, don't you think?

AnythingOutstanding:
If you time your parry to match up with your opponent's attack, it exposes the enemy and allows you to perform a ripost. Which is a super powerful attack that is especially useful for taking on enemy humanoid opponents with powerful defenses and lots of stamina. When used right, it is one of your most useful moves to use against some of the later enemies of the game.

Daystar Clarion:
Parry deflects an opponent's attack so that they're left open to a counter attack.

Parry doesn't defend anything, however, so you have to make sure that your timing is perfect or you leave yourself wide open for a beating.

That's a pretty cool mechanic. Most games just have block, and maybe a little counterattack if you block with timing.

There isn't a crouch button or something, is there? Because replacing R1 R2 with LM RM and replacing L1 L2 with Shift Control sounds pretty workable to me. Unless there's a sprint button in the game.

Someone describe to me the entire control scheme, please. ^.^ Gonna port this shit to PC right here, right now.

AnythingOutstanding:

lacktheknack:

Space bar seems like it is better for dodge rolling, don't you think?

I assign that to Alt. Or, if the game doesn't do Alt, Shift.

Alternatively, assign Shift to "Sprint/Run", Space to "Block", and Shift+Space+Direction to "Dodge".

gmaverick019:

games have been doing this for ages, it's called "holding" down a button which makes the other buttons do other things. therefore, holding down any of the 30+ keys that your hand has access to to make your mouse buttons do the two other functions is more than user friendly/acceptable.

You don't understand what I'm saying at all :(

First, I didn't say it was impossible. I said it would be inferior to using a controller. Which it will be for many reasons.

And second,

and that's if they are actually going to implement it, and even then, the "fancy cool" thing about the pc is, guess what? you can use a controller! it's quite nifty/top of the line stuff that just came out.

It's not going to work as well as a controller, but I don't mind that so much since you can plug in a controller and you're good to go.

If you're going to be condescending and imply that I don't know that already, at least make sure that I didn't point it out before you did.

Stilt:

totally heterosexual:

Stilt:

Try playing it again when you're an adult, I think you will like it better. Also cilantro, girls, and blackjack

Thats an awful post. Dont post anymore.

Aww dont go too hard on him, hes just a kid. He'll learn to like dark souls one day so lets not all gang up on him

No i was talking about you.

Hammeroj:

AnythingOutstanding:

Daystar Clarion:

That's a pretty cool mechanic. Most games just have block, and maybe a little counterattack if you block with timing.

There isn't a crouch button or something, is there? Because replacing R1 R2 with LM RM and replacing L1 L2 with Shift Control sounds pretty workable to me. Unless there's a sprint button in the game.

Someone describe to me the entire control scheme, please. ^.^ Gonna port this shit to PC right here, right now.

Well, the controls for the PS3 version are:

R2: Heavy Attack

Triangle: Switch between wielding your right hand weapon with one or two hands (wielding a weapon with 2 hands does more damage)

Circle: Hold = sprint, tap = roll
X: Interact
Square: Use item

D-pad:
Up: Change spell
Down: Change item
Left: Switch between 2 items in the left hand
Right: Switch between 2 items in the right hand.
L3: Lock on.

Hammeroj:

AnythingOutstanding:

Daystar Clarion:

First and foremost, there are different styles of equipping weapons. There's weapon/shield, dual wield, and 2 handing a weapon.

For weapon/shield, it's pretty standard. however Spears have the advantage of being able to block and attack @ same time (it's a weak little poke and really stamina intensive when a monster is beating on your defenses, so heavy shield recommended.)

Dual wielding I haven't done much of. You can't block anymore, but you can still parry. Instead block becomes an attack button.

2 handing weapons can be done with anything. You can literaly 2 hand a dagger if you want, it doubles the attack power (and cuts the required stats in half to wield the weapon, good for using large weapons early on until you level up enough to use with 1 hand.) Also if you have any sort of support enchantments (Glass Crest shield has a stamina regeneration buff), 2 handing will still yield the enchantment even if you're not actively using it.

There's your standard weak/strong attacks, but there's also running attacks, Lunging attacks (which can't be parried by enemies, forward movement + Strong attack @ same time), quick attack (which is just forward movement + weak attack. sometimes it's just a kick to break their guard when they block constantly, other weapons have a little slice + backflip move, depends on weapon)

It gets pretty in depth, but generally you have weak, strong, lunging, running, backstab, and parry/riposte

edit: forgot Dodge roll attacks. Just dodge and weak attack.

Daystar Clarion:

Hammeroj:

AnythingOutstanding:

Daystar Clarion:

R2: Heavy Attck

Triangle: Switch between wielding your right hand weapon with one or two hands (wielding a weapon with 2 hands does more damage)

D-pad:

Keyboard Equivalent:

M1: Attack
M2: Heavy Attack
M3: Parry

Space: Block

Q: Switch wield

Shift: Sprint/roll
E: Interact
F: Use

R: Change Spell
X: Change Item
Z: Switch Left
C: Switch Right
CTRL: Lock on

I don't see this being a problem, or even inferior to controller.

Hammeroj:

AnythingOutstanding:

Daystar Clarion:

X: Dodge roll(moving)/sprint(hold while moving)
Square: Interact
Triangle: Two hand right weapon
Circle: Use quick slot item
Right stick: Control camera
Left stick: Movement
R1: Standard right hand action
R2: Special right hand action
R3: Target enemy
L1: Standard left hand action
L2: Special left hand action
L3: (forgot this. Been a while since I played.)
D-Up: Switch magic
D-Right: Switch right hand weapon
D-Left: Switch left hand weapon
D-Down: Switch quick slot item

I think that's all I can recall. Can someone clarify on a few of these?

Hammeroj:

AnythingOutstanding:

Daystar Clarion:

This is from an 360 player so I'm using those buttons names.

RB-Normal Attack
RT-Heavy Attack
LB-Block
LT-Parry

A-Activate/Use

X-Use current Item

B-"Move" button
~Holding it enables Sprinting
~B+Left Stick is a Roll
~Tapping B is a backwards leap
~Tapping B while already sprinting is a running jump
~Attacking while sprinting does a running/jumping type attack
~Slide down latters
basically if it involves using your characters feet, it uses this button

Y-Wields whatever is in your right hand as two handed (and I mean anything, including dinky knives and shields) Provides a strength bonus increasing damage or using weapons where your strength is too low

Dpad Up- Cycle through equipped spells

Dpad down-cycle through equipped consumable

Dpad left-cycle through equipment for left hand

Dpad right-cycle though equipment for right hand

I know text doesn't convey it very well, but it fells so right on a controller. The devs did a great job making it feel natural to play. So I don't think the people who are saying the don't understand how the controls are being ported are doing it in a "LOL PC CONTROLZ ARE GUNNA SUCK" way, but the controls were designed around using a controller, and they were done so very well. But if you can get a mouse and keyboard to work you then reach for the stars next bonfire

EDIT:Well I'm slow

lacktheknack:

Daystar Clarion:

Hammeroj:

D-pad:

Keyboard Equivalent:

I didn't say it was, did I?

Personally, I can't imagine feeling that comfortable using a keyboard instead of a controller.

That's just a personal preference of course I don't doubt that the conrtols could easily port to PC.

EClaris:

I know text doesn't convey it very well, but it fells so right on a controller. The devs did a great job making it feel natural to play. So I don't think the people who are saying the don't understand how the controls are being ported are doing it in a "LOL PC CONTROLZ ARE GUNNA SUCK" way, but the controls were designed around using a controller, and they were done so very well. But if you can get a mouse and keyboard to work you then reach for the stars next bonfire

That's exactly what I've been saying.

It's not that it won't work on PC. It's that it works extremely well for a controller in a way that won't be perfectly translated to mouse and keyboard.

Not saying it is impossible to get all the functionality, just that the control layout is genius for a gamepad in a way that will be lost in translation.

AnythingOutstanding:

EClaris:

That's exactly what I've been saying.

It's not that it won't work on PC. It's that it works extremely well for a controller in a way that won't be perfectly translated to mouse and keyboard.

Not saying it is impossible to get all the functionality, just that the control layout is genius for a gamepad in a way that will be lost in translation.

I think it's the only game where I was like "THAT DPAD USE IS SO INTUITIVE"

It's the middle child of controller buttons

lacktheknack:

Daystar Clarion:

Hammeroj:

D-pad:

Keyboard Equivalent:

I don't think it's so much the issue with finding keys to do it, it's finding a way to press all those keys at once. It's not uncommon to be expected to walk backwards diagonally to the right or left while blocking and switching targets. Maybe changing weapons while you're at it or swapping to 2 handed when you see an opening. Changing items, changing spells if you're a mage.

That's pretty basic when it comes to pvp/pk. And unless you stay hollow the entire game, you WILL be fighting people.

EClaris:

That's an easy one to fix. Just map it to 1, 2, 3, 4.

It's the functionality of shoulder buttons that would be lost. Since the left hand can (and more often than not, does) carry more than a shield. It's designed in a way to mirror the right hand functions.

Somonah:
Most pirated game in history. Calling it now.

A huge unique component of Dark Souls is how multiplayer is handled over the single player. I doubt it'll become the "most pirated game in history" or even close with such an intriguing multiplayer.

AnythingOutstanding:

EClaris:

That's an easy one to fix. Just map it to 1, 2, 3, 4.

It's the functionality of shoulder buttons that would be lost. Since the left hand can (and more often than not, does) carry more than a shield. It's designed in a way to mirror the right hand functions.

Oh that was a gaming in general thing, usually the DPAD is terrible or ignored

EClaris:
Oh that was a gaming in general thing, usually the DPAD is terrible or ignored

It's been used well before in games like Gears of War for easily switching weapons.

But the layout is pretty good for the game anyway.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked