Do people still play Dead island?

I wanna buy it (on the PC) but I'm easily scared, I'd probably need to play it with someone else.

Is it worth it playing by yourself? Is it very scary?

It's not scary in the slightest, and terrible by yourself. There are just too many smallish things wrong with it that all together just make it not very fun.

Online will be dead, I would check but it's uninstalled, but it's not the sort of thing you'd want to play with a stranger.

It is a fun game with friends that you know, and worth playing if you can find a buddy to run though with you laughing at the faults, but on your own it gets dull immensely quickly.

It's not a "gripping adventure" that will have you hooked for hours but even played by yourself it can be a bit of mindless zombie slaughtering fun.

Of course it's better played with other though.

It isn't the best game ever by a long shot but I found it is fun in small doses.

It's "Left 4 Dead" if you take away the interesting maps, original infected, fun gameplay and any element of amusement that game had.

Oh, and add annoying fetch quests and "Foot of Doom".

And did I mention all the bugs?

Not scary and a horribly boring game, if you haven't got entertaining friends to play it with then get something else.

I actually prefer to play by myself. Whenever other people jump into my game it just ruins the experience for me.

If you the sort of person who can play the game solely for it's gameplay mechanic then Dead Island is for you, because that game has one of the best melee combat ever.Left 4 Dead 2 with it's frying pans has nothing on it.Aside from that though it has little to offer.Boring stereotypical characters, mediocre setting, absence of story and a bunch of petty flaws such as slippery movement, "weapons made of twix" and zombies, who in certain locations will infinitely respawn right behind your back or even right in front of your face.I say, if you have two friends to play with then go get it, otherwise not advised.

My friend plays it on Ps3 all the time but I think he's doing SP

I played it two player with my brother and I had a great time. I'd read a lot of hate for it but at the end of the day it's extremely fun, but its so much better with another person, preferably not a stranger. It's a surprisingly long game and the melee combat is some of the best around, just don't play it thinking its an FPS because you will be disappointed. The guns don't even show up until late on and when they do their a bit crap anyway.

It's still a decent game. The melee figting is easily the most fun part of it. It has it's good share of faults but I was not disappointed in it at all. Just don't expect anything from the story or anything like that.

Even more fun with friends.

Sack of Cheese:

Is it worth it playing by yourself? Is it very scary?

I enjoyed it and I played it by myself, yay for being a loner.
Is it scary? I want to say, because all zombies can hit you hard and such. I found myself being very cautious throughout the game which made me spend more time completing it than it should have.

Here's the deal: Don't ask yourself if you liked Left 4 Dead, ask yourself if you liked Borderlands. Because Dead Island is very close to Borderlands with zombies and a focus on melee weapons instead of firearms. The melee mechanics are great and the combat has to be approached with quite some degree of tactical thinking, unless you have a fetish for being swarmed and repawning.

I bought it on a Steam sale for 25 euros and got about 20 hours out of it before it got boring doing singleplayer only. I think it was worth those 25 euros but I don't believe it is worth the full price of 50 or so euros.

Never played borderlands but it felt like diablo with zombies in first person to me. I just finished it on the ps3, taking a break atm.

It can get tense but it's never really scary.
It is pretty boring though. Even as a group of 4 me and my mates didn't manage a full playthrough. And when we tried it again recently we didn't even make it out of the first area.

Iwata:
It's "Left 4 Dead" if you take away the interesting maps, original infected, fun gameplay and any element of amusement that game had.

Oh, and add annoying fetch quests and "Foot of Doom".

And did I mention all the bugs?

If by "Foot of Doom" you mean how overpowered the Kick was, it got nerfed to have a stamina cost so you can't just endlessly spam it.

Me and some friends had a tonne of fun playing through it in co-op, but that seems to be the only way to get any real enjoyment out of it. Assuming you've already looked at gameplay and such and have decided you think you'd like it, I strongly suggest getting some people you know. Singleplayer will likely get boring quickly due to fetch quests and frustrating due to bugs, and randoms online aren't really reliable.

I have no idea if anyone still plays on PC, but last time I played it on Xbox was probably a few months ago, and there were a few people still playing. Also, easily scared or not, the game is not scary in the slightest.

Gethsemani:
Here's the deal: Don't ask yourself if you liked Left 4 Dead, ask yourself if you liked Borderlands. Because Dead Island is very close to Borderlands with zombies and a focus on melee weapons instead of firearms. The melee mechanics are great...

This is probably the best comparison I've heard. Think Borderlands crossed with Dead Rising's Create Your Own Ridiculous Melee Weapon mechanic with less options.

:P Though I would disagree with the "the melee mechanics are great" statement seeing as how three zombies sprinting towards you have the tendency to run right THROUGH you and start wailing on your back.

OP: As for "is it scary"? Really that depends on your mindset. It's a first person zombie apocalypse game. If you can immerse yourself into the atmosphere and environment, you can become extremely paranoid and jumpy, though I don't know if that counts as being scared. :P

As for "is it worth it"? Personally I'd say no, especially if you're wanting to get it for multiplayer purposes because I can only imagine that all the servers are - no pun intended - devoid of life. If you want to play L4D with Borderlands' free roaming by yourself, it's a decent little waste of time with plenty of zombie killing chaos to enjoy. Though the plot holes necessary to create a situation that allows for a final boss fight are about as big as the plot holes at the end of Mass Effect 3...specifically: "Wait...where did all my badass weapons go? Why didn't we kill this guy before all hell broke loose? Why is the group of heroes just kinda standing there like "ahhhh shit...." after all they've been through?"

All in all, though, even the game creators admitted that it's a failed game.

Is it scary? Kinda if you don't play with enemy health and damage on. If you don't want it to be scary, keep the damage and enemy health bars on, they make it feel like Borderlands with melee. Is it worth playing by yourself? I'd say so. I played through 90 percent of the game by myself since none of my friends got it and thought it was really fun. The only parts you would need more people would be the city (Fuck the city.) and the very end.

It's probably the best and most flawed zombie game I've played.

It truly encapsulates how strong a zombie horde is, while how poorly a sole survivor would strive in real life.

It's not that scary. Except when a dead zombie grabs you in a lock unexpectedly. Sometimes I just don't see it coming. At all.

Anyway, it's not very GOOD...but it's fairly entertaining.

kman123:

It truly encapsulates how strong a zombie horde is, while how poorly a sole survivor would strive in real life.

natster43:
The only parts you would need more people would be the city (Fuck the city. I hate the infected)

:P I don't know if they ever got around to fixing this or if they even considered it a bug, but there were certain places in the city where an infinite loop of zombies would continuous rush you, making your choices become "run as fast as you can" or "get zerged to death". Just wave after wave after never ending waving comes running through the alleys. Even with the best weapons, you'll eventually get overrun if you linger.

If you'd rather play alone I'd suggest Dead Rising 2... Actually I'd just suggest that anyway. Dead Island may be fun with a group of people but as other's have said it really isn't a very fun experience after a while alone (That series of sewer missions Yahtzee mentioned in his review are EXACTLY where I stopped playing, gave me an extra chuckle when he mentioned it).

RJ 17:

kman123:

natster43:
The only parts you would need more people would be the city (Fuck the city. I hate the infected)

:P I don't know if they ever got around to fixing this or if they even considered it a bug, but there were certain places in the city where an infinite loop of zombies would continuous rush you, making your choices become "run as fast as you can" or "get zerged to death". Just wave after wave after never ending waving comes running through the alleys. Even with the best weapons, you'll eventually get overrun if you linger.

I think they fixed that. I never encountered it in my 2 playthroughs.

RJ 17:

kman123:

natster43:

They were quarantine zones, so I figured that was meant to happen. I actually liked it a bit. I felt physical discomfort from being overwhelmed in there, and it was awesome.

It's not scary, tense, but not scary
I had a romp by myself, played through with two character's to level 50. And then I traded it in for another game, it's a love/hate game. If you love it, you WILL love it, if you don't like it....you'll regret the buy

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Dead Island
Current Players: 511
Peak Today: 1,549

Phlakes:

RJ 17:

kman123:

natster43:

They were quarantine zones, so I figured that was meant to happen. I actually liked it a bit. I felt physical discomfort from being overwhelmed in there, and it was awesome.

In the town happened my first death and yes those screaming running infected were sure creepy. My only gripe was the death penalty. Loosing a bit of cash isn`t what i call punishing and it killed the survival atmosphere of the game. After that i still had tons of fun getting/creating new weapons and discover new places but the appeal of a horror game (survival) got a bit lost. Since this is still the best zombie game (at least for me) i keep recommending it.

Left 4 Dead is cheaper and about 10x better.
Seriously, Dead Island sucked, and I wasted $90 on it =(

I've yet to play it online, but I've maxed out every character. I love it to absolute bits, it's one of my favourite and most played games. A pity I no longer have xbox live. Though saying that, most people aren't so fond of it.

As has been said, the best way to enjoy Dead Island is with a friend. I played through the whole game co-op with a buddy and I was able to like the game despite its many flaws. I don't know if I would have felt the same if I had played it by myself.

I thought the city was very spooky and atmospheric. I really enjoyed the sense of place.

Really the only criticism I have of the game is the inventory system and how hard it was to find your weapons after you'd chucked them at the undead. Maddening.

Oh yeah, and the multiplayer is pointless because the undead don't scale so it just makes it stupidly easy.

get that and play the game by yourself

fucking horrible glitchy game. Enemies come out of nowhere to attack you, and you only play as yourself! which is fucking insane. the checkpoints are broken, the whole game is a mess.

The patched up version works fine. Don`t know if this goes for the pc version but both console ports seem to run without (heavy) glitches or suddenly spawning enemys.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked