Suggestions for "calm" games?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Here is the situation: For the past couple of months I can't play any game. For personal reasons that are not related with gaming, I'm not in the mood to play games like I used to. I can't grab anymore the controller and play a 3d person shooter, or an rpg with dialogues and stuff. The only thing that I imagine I could play is a point n' click adventure, or strategy games, preferably slow paced, or so called casual games, match three of a kind. etc. So I'm looking for relax games, I don't mind if they are deep, but I can't handle any pressure. Do you have any suggestions? Preferably for the PC, for economy reasons and convinience reasons, but also for the PS3, PSP and DS. Thanks.

Flow, Flower and Journey.

All three for PS3. All three calm and serene games with a relatively slow pace, forgiving difficulty, great aesthetics and non-violent nature. Coincidentally, all three made by the same dev: Thatgamecompany.

This, The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav, looks right up your alley.

It's a PC point and click, no combat game with adjustable difficulty on the puzzles. I've never played it myself, but it appears to be a perfect no stress game and it looks beautiful.

My personal suggestion would be Minecraft, if you play on Peaceful (or creative mode on the PC)

No enemies to deal with and you can go around your world at your own pace and built pretty much anything you want.

Journey.

Seriously.

Buy Journey.

Buy Journey or I will strangle you with a drunken ferret and then proceed to bludgeon your parents to death with a badger.

I think Age of Empires 2 is a wondrously medicinal game, it is beautiful, colourful, not fast paced and with some lovely music. It's all very interesting but not mentally draining. You can easily spend as much time as you could possibly want on even the earliest missions in it's many lengthy and rewarding campaigns.

Sid Meier's Pirates! Is a straightforward, beautiful and relaxing game. Like AoE2 it's very simple and rewarding, it doesn't ask anything of you and is a wonderful headache cure. You can quickly earn some palpable rewards, and can have some fun when you decide to chase up mini quests, or even try and complete the storyline.

There are more besides, but these are two choice ones...

Eclpsedragon:

It's a PC point and click, no combat game with adjustable difficulty on the puzzles. I've never played it myself, but it appears to be a perfect no stress game and it looks beautiful.

Judging by the youtube I've watched of that game it doesn't look as beautiful or relaxing as one might think, movements are jerky and it just doesn't look as nice as some of the other, easy to attain point and click games. Like Siberia, for example.

Daystar Clarion:
Journey.

Seriously.

Buy Journey.

Buy Journey or I will strangle you with a drunken ferret and then proceed to bludgeon your parents to death with a badger.

Where is my credit card? Anyone saw my credit card??? I need it! I can't explain right now. But I need to find it. :P

Rheinmetall:
Snip 5 - Snip in da hood

Endless Space (upcoming, if you buy it now on steam you can joint the beta. 4x space strategy) [27€]
Quantum Conundum (A Portal-esque [same lead designer] first person puzzle game with a decent artstyle) [15€]
Sam and Max Series (adventure games with a great humour, a season is a whole game, every season is made of ~6 episodes and one episode can be played through in ~1h) [complete pack of 3 seasons: 50€]
Warlock: Master of the Arcane (another 4x game) [20€]

Well, that is from my side. Obvious indie platformers can be added.

Daystar Clarion:
Journey.

Seriously.

Buy Journey.

What he said, but with more Journey.

You want that game.

I read Flow, Flower and Journey and getting a retail release on one disk. I will be picking those up to see what the fuss is!

chimpzy:
Flower and Journey

Daystar Clarion:
Journey.

I'll third Journey and second Flower. As an aside, I'd like to say thank you to Daystar, I thought Journey looked interested, but it was your gushing praise all over the Escapist, that made me finally buy it.

Anyway, as for a new suggestion, I'll say Eufloria. It's an RTS-lite, with only two "buildings", one for offense and one for defense and two types of units(with variations, though). While it can present a challenge for time to time, it's mostly a relaxing experience, seeing the little seedlings attack each other. Also, the music is really relaxing as well.

Splice for PC is pretty good, it's a nice puzzle game with a really relaxing sound track.

Have you heard about Jour- oh...

Well have you heard about Auditorium? It's awesome.

Really old, but: Have you tried playing the King's Quest/Space Quest series? They're decent enough.

Most Turn-Based Strategy games will fit your description pretty well, as well. How about Civ IV? (I've heard that Civ V is a lot more action based, so yeah...)
Age of Wonders (1 - 2 - Shadow Magic) (again, really old) is pretty relaxed, too.

go for the latest humble bundle if it is still available. Limbo and Bastion are great games that I think would fit your description. No deep story lines that involve hours of reading, simple mechanics, and great looking worlds. Granted neither are very long, but still immensly enjoyable. Super meat boy has also been pretty fun, although depending on your mood the difficult puzzles may just irritate you.

Also apparently journey is a good game, I heard that somewhere.

Soxafloppin:
I read Flow, Flower and Journey and getting a retail release on one disk. I will be picking those up to see what the fuss is!

That's great! I really prefer disk releases than digital ones. I have played flower, it'a very unique game, but you have to be in the right mood to play these games and enjoy them.

How about some Professor Layton? Not the games, though I also recommend those for your predicament, but simply an audio loop of him saying various phrases over and over in his soothing voice.

GreyJedi:
Really old, but: Have you tried playing the King's Quest/Space Quest series? They're decent enough.

Most Turn-Based Strategy games will fit your description pretty well, as well. How about Civ IV? (I've heard that Civ V is a lot more action based, so yeah...)
Age of Wonders (1 - 2 - Shadow Magic) (again, really old) is pretty relaxed, too.

Thanks for the suggestions,
I really prefer Civ III, and I heartily recommend it to you if you haven't played it yet.
I will try Age of Wonders if I can find it.

What's that one game on Steam where the sole purpose is to wrap rope around wooden objects?

Zen Bound?

That's a pretty and mellow game. Go with that.

Have you looked at GOG's catalog recently? What about something like Syberia or Machinarium? They're both interesting but subdued point-and-clicks.

Apart from Ico, i have no idea. What about turning off the console and go for a walk in the park? Thats calming.

Suicidejim:
How about some Professor Layton? Not the games, though I also recommend those for your predicament, but simply an audio loop of him saying various phrases over and over in his soothing voice.

Thanks,
I have played the first Prof. Layton game, very interesting and fun, but I failed to finish it because I got stuck at the very last set of puzzles. That left me with a slightly bitter taste, and also the music almost drove me crazy after some point. lol Do you think I should try the sequels? I mean, are they somehow improved?

SonOfVoorhees:
Apart from Ico, i have no idea. What about turning off the console and go for a walk in the park? Thats calming.

I have it turned off for weeks, the question is: should I turn it on, or go for that walk in the park. :)

Minecraft on peaceful with the soundtrack playing on spotify with rainy mood on.

To be honest you could probably just have rainy mood playing constantly and it'll allow you to cope with like, condemned.

Rheinmetall:

Suicidejim:

Thanks,
I have played the first Prof. Layton game, very interesting and fun, but I failed to finish it because I got stuck at the very last set of puzzles. That left me with a slightly bitter taste, and also the music almost drove me crazy after some point. lol Do you think I should try the sequels? I mean, are they somehow improved?

Well, there's not really much one can do to alter the formula, so each game is quite similar, gameplay-wise (i.e. lots of running around and being handed puzzles by people who really should have better things to do). I would argue that the story has improved with each iteration, though, and I certainly felt more driven to actually solve the puzzles because I wanted to see how the story unfolded in later games (despite it getting more and more ridiculous each time). The 4th game, I didn't like so much, but I doubt you'd jump straight to that anyway, so no worries.

And yes, the music can get quite irritating after a while. Although you shouldn't trust the opinion of the man who is currently listening to the main theme on repeat.

You should try Dark Souls.
I've never played a game with such a serene, mellowing atmosphere...

There's some really good suggestions here. Journey really makes me wish I had a PS3.

I know I sound like a scratched record when I say this but I suggest Braid. Really lovely atmosphere to that game. The music is serene. It's well worth a look.

I think I'll throw in something a bit more obscure too, just for the sake of it. Recently I've been reminded of a game I have called Switchball. It's a cool little game where you control a marble which can transform in to other marbles which have various properties (heavy, light or magnetic) with which you solve environmental puzzles and get to the end of a stage. It's really well designed and the visuals are very nice. It's got a very rich visual style. There's a cool range of different environments too.

Dear Esther is what I would recommend to you. It is on steam and is very nice and calm.

Zhukov:

Daystar Clarion:
Journey.

Seriously.

Buy Journey.

What he said, but with more Journey.

You want that game.

This. Seriously, it's like meditation in a disc. It's amazing. You just sit there and *drift away.*

Quantum Conundrum is pretty relaxing, cheerful music/bright colours and good fun too. Also can't speak for everyone but for me nothing is more relaxing than playing the Sims 3 :p

I have been poorly lately and my mate was trying to play Left for Dead 2 with me. I was exhausted lol. I know that feel bro. Sometimes you just need to chill out :3

Dark Souls... Haha, nah I'm just kidding.

Maybe Minecraft if you play on peaceful mode. -Or one of the Lego games.

King of Asgaard:

If you just sit and stare at firelink with the music playing its actually quite nice. I've been meaning to get a Dark Souls bonfire gif background/screensaver.

kyogen:
Have you looked at GOG's catalog recently? What about something like Syberia or Machinarium? They're both interesting but subdued point-and-clicks.

Yes I have looked the catalog of games but I was a bit confused. All games have excellent refferences even the most obscure ones. Everybody loves everything in this site; this isn't very illuminating for a buyer if you know what I mean. So far I have bought Planescape Torment, Alone in the Dark 1-3 and Tomb Raider 1-3 (for the sake of nostalgia, I already have played all three countless times).
Syberia 1-2: I have this game somewhere in the house... Damn, I need to find those disks! Thanks for reminding me of this game. That would be ideal.

King of Asgaard:

Thanks,
I know exactly what you mean. I have put over than 200 hours into this game...

bobfish92:

King of Asgaard:

If you just sit and stare at firelink with the music playing its actually quite nice. I've been meaning to get a Dark Souls bonfire gif background/screensaver.

That's what I was referring to...
Did you think I was being disingenuous or something...?
>:)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked