Could you help me expand my point & click horizons?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So, I recently finished Grim Fandango (damn fine game), and I realized that I have a shockingly sparse number of games under my belt similar to it. I was kinda hoping some Adventure buffs could share their favorites and hopefully make them some of my favorites. The ones I've played and enjoyed:

King's Quest VII- Heir (Fond memories from my childhood, probably hair pulling these days.)
Monkey Island 1 & 2 (the remakes, is there soul missing in these?)
Grim Fandango ^

So yeah, you can see my point. For these kinds of games, I'm okay with the story being paramount over some iffy mechanics. I also love horror, but the closest thing I think I've played is Amnesia. Loved it to death. I also loved Hotel Dusk for the DS, so this isn't limited to the PC and wouldn't mind the whole detective thing.

Today's my birthday and Valve & GOG are eyeing my wallet, so what should I be looking at? Thank you in advance, I know there's gems out there I'd love.

Side Note: I really would like to dip my toes into text adventures, I've never even played Zork but I loved reading "choose your own adventure" books as a kid. Is there a program that's good for loading Text Adventure modules or something? I know I'm asking a lot but you folks are great and kind and have good taste, I trust your collective judgement over many other sources. Thanks again!

There are a lot of sites hosting text adventures for free, playable online. I'm not sure which are legal and which aren't though, so I can't link you without inadvertently violating the piracy rule. I know several Zork games are available on GOG, though! If you can find Planetfall, that's a fantastic game, too.

My personal favourite point 'n' click is Gemini Rue. It's a brilliant sci-fi adventure with an incredible story, great music and a wonderful (if a bit low-res) art style. Definitely worth a go. It might seem a little slow at first, but by the time you've finished the first act, you won't be able to put it down.

The Blackwell Series by the same developer is great, too. There are better point 'n' clicks out there, but these games are what really got me into the genre. They have a fairly generic 'woman sees ghosts, helps them move on' setup but the stories and characters are fairly well done and there a re a few unique elements to it's mythology. The second and third games have some brilliant dark twists, only just starting the fourth for some reason, but it's good so far.

You can't live without having played Broken Sword. Logical puzzles, hilarious dialogue, gorgeous art and animation, it's truly amongst the genre's very best.

I've only just started it myself, but The Longest Journey is an almost obligatory mention here. I've heard it has some frustratingly obtuse puzzles but the plot is meant to be fantastic.

ScrabbitRabbit:
Holy snips, Batman!

Thank you so much for your input. After reading your recommendation and watching some videos, I pretty much reflexively got Gemini Rue, looks like there's a lot of fun using dialog to solve problems, and it's great that its a relatively modern take on an old style.

Got Blackwell bookmarked, will look into that when assessing next purchase(s) or based on finishing Gemini. Since I can't live without having played Broken Sword, I might just reflexively get that too, obviously the prices are hard to pass up with these things. The art direction certainly looks interesting.

I actually got The Longest Journey quite some time ago, but had trouble with Windows 7 x64 and patching (something to do with a police station), but that's something I can work out when it's in line for the Adventure spree.

I found a website for the text adventures, thanks for bringing up how easy it is to play them
: )

Looks like I'll be busy all night! I have room for more, but ScrabbitRabbit, you've made my birthday a happier one. Much appreciated.

If you want an excellent horror adventure game on GOG I'd recommend Sanitarium.

psicat:
If you want an excellent horror adventure game on GOG I'd recommend Sanitarium.

Sanitarium was another automatic, and it led me to "I have no mouth and I must scream". That's gonna be hard to run but the short story was fantastic so it should be worth it. Thank you as well sir.

P.S. In my text adventure searches I found a BBC site with Hitchhiker's Guide adventures, huge Douglas Adams fan so that made me happy.

How about looking up Beneath a Steel Sky? It's free, works on the multi-platform ScummVM platform (which has been ported almost as many times as Doom) and is mighty fun to boot. A bit short, but still a worthwhile game.

Richard A. Kiernan:
How about looking up Beneath a Steel Sky? It's free, works on the multi-platform ScummVM platform (which has been ported almost as many times as Doom) and is mighty fun to boot. A bit short, but still a worthwhile game.

I got Beneath as one of the free games you got for signing up on GOG, and the GOG versions seem to use ScummVM or DOSbox when appropriate or most compatible. I did download Scummvm anyway if I find some DOS games that are free or abandoned, etc. Beneath is in the Adventure spree list, thank you as well.

Monkey Island series
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure
Blade Runner
Quest for Glory Series
Gabriel Knight series
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Broken Sword
Leisure Suit Larry
Space/Kings/Police Quest series
The Last Express
Dreamweb
Bloodnet
Syberia Series
Death Gate
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Full Throttle
Day of the Tentacle
Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel/The Case of the Rose Tattoo
Beneath a Steel Sky
Shadow Of The Comet
Neuromancer
Rise Of The Dragon
Conquests of the Longbow
Penumbra
Maniac Mansion

Here's my horror list (which has alot of adventures on it)

I'll just copy this here from an incredibly older thread, luckily almost all Adventure games age well, if you love horror you will most certainly approve of Sanitarium, it's up on GoG and one of the best Horror/Adventure games ever conceived: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/sanitarium xD

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.161480-PC-Point-and-Click-did-I-miss-any

Simon the Sorcerer 1+2
Monkey Island Series (Special Editions?)
Day of the Tentacle
Sam & Max (old and new)
Blade Runner
Grim Fandango
Sanitarium
The Dig
Loom
Floyd
Discworld 1+2 and Discworld Noir
Beneath a Steel Sky
The Longest Journey + Dreamfall
Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth
Indiana Jones LucasArts Adventures
Space Quest Series (early ones might be too uck but the latest few are still nice)
Kings Quest Series (same)
Leisure Suit Larry Series (same)
ToonStruck
Full Throttle
Star Trek: 25th Anniversary/Judgment Rites/A Final Unity

Still okay Games:
Broken Sword Series
The Gene Machine
Chewy - Escape from F5
Orion Burger
Ace Ventura
Machinarium
Jack Keane
Gilbert Goodmate
Ankh Series
Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy (Meh Quicktime Events but pretty good over large parts)

Well it kinda depends on what you like now, doesn't it xD
For instance Simon the Sorcerer 2 was my favorite game EVER till I played Baldur's Gate, might have something to do with the fact that it was one of the first Point & Clicks I ever played and I backtracked from there though but I still like it to this day :P

Anyway Sanitarium is a very "special" and "unique" game in that regard, it's a isometric Adventure and plays in a world that could've originated from every Horror Book ever written put together and creating an almost perfect Amalgamation of "Mystery" and "Scary"...
The main character has a car crash and he gets there and basically has to figure out what is going on...
image image

Blade Runner is a SciFi Adventure, and (imo) beats the movie by far in Presentation and Quality
image image

Floyd (a.k.a. The Feeble Files) is a Space Adventure (Comedy) by the same company that did the Simon the Sorcerer series, so chances are if you didn't like those you might not like that one either:
image image

Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth is an Adventure game that came after the 3 "Gobliiins" (kind of Puzzle games with different "maps") and was kind of funny as far as I can remember.
image image

Dreamfall is more of an Action-Adventure/3D Adventure set around the future and Multinational corporations acting immoral and at a point in the story you get to travel to a different Dimension (a fantasy world) with magic and fantasy creatures. It had an incredibly suspenseful plot letting one forget most of its shortcomings, the first part was a 2D Adventure I completed but didn't get into that much.
image image

Regarding King's Quest, at least part 7 is kind of different from the other ones in that it has a Cartoony style similar to Toonstruck (or Space Quest 6) and plays a lot more like one of the LucasArts Adventures than the others (though you can still die).
image image

Regarding Larry, up to 7 of course xD

The Gene Machine was an adventure set in 1880s London concerning a conspiracy with an evil scientist making a "Gene Machine" and there's some stuff about a rocket and more, it's inspired by Jules Vernes.
image image

Chewy Esc F5, The Orion Burger and Ace Ventura are all comedies.
The first deals with a pink alien crashing on earth and wanting to go back home, the 2nd with an intergalactic burger imperium running out of meat and visiting earth because they need more and there's enough meat on earth (humanz) and the first is about the character "Ace Ventura" pet detective trying to solve the case of a missing animal and getting in all sorts of trouble...
image image
image image
image image

Btw. I remembered two more "classics", many people swear on the "Legend of Kyrandia" series by Westwood, although it was never one of my favorites.

And then there's "Kingdom O' Magic", it wasn't the best to look at but it was damn funny and was a spoof of about every fantasy world created till then (most notably Lord of the Rings though) and made me laugh quite a lot xD
image image

Other than that I still have some games on my "To get/play" list I don't know whether they are good or bad yet: The Neverhood, Runaway 1-3, Gabriel Knight, So Blonde, A Vampyre Story, Perry Rhodan, Clever & Smart - A Movie Adventure, Secret Files Tunguska, Gemini Rue, Emerald City Confidential

And there's a flood of German Adventures coming that are supposedly good (and also look good):

The Whispered World

The Book of Unwritten Tales

A New Beginning

... The only things I can think of are the Pajama Sam series of Games and the "Strong Bad Cool Games 4 Attractive People" series. I suggest the Strong Bad games, cause at least they are funny and look nice, unlike Pajama Sam...

The Longest Journey remains my personal favourite for it's story, characters and setting of which I consider it some of the best examples of each in the entire gaming industry. That said its puzzles really are as bad as you've heard, it's clear when this game was developer it was meant as a story foremost and a game second and it shows with some truly idiotic puzzle design. So if you're the sort that plays point & click for the puzzles might want to give TLJ a pass, but if you're looking for a fantastic experience I can't recommend it highly enough.

That aside I've always been a fan of the Broken Sword series of Point & Click as well, especially 1 and 2 both of which have not only extremely entertaining story and good characters but unlike TLJ above solid puzzle mechanics as well. Both the original games have also had recent re-release with higher quality visuals and a new 'tip' mechanic as well which makes replaying them an absolute dream. Plus if you want the original experience that's possible as well since GOG bundles the new and old versions together.

The original Sam & Max Hit the Road also still holds up today as probably my favourite comedy game. I love that duo! The new games by Telltale are also quite good as well. First season is a bit rough, but by the second they really get into gear with great jokes and setup that make the original game proud.

I've heard Telltale's Walking Dead series is also spectacular, though I haven't played em myself yet. I intend to pick the series up once it's all done so I can play it all through at once. But still if you're looking for something recent that's supposed to be a great experience!

If you're looking for something on the more thinky and less story side of the point & click genre as well, the Syberia games are also really good. Not slouches either in the story department, though it's clear the puzzles really are the star of the show in that series case.

Anthraxus:
Snippity

Dexter111:
Snippity

The Madman:
Snip

Thank you SO SO much, this is more than I hoped for! With the prices (or lack of) for so many of these my birthday budget will supply me for what looks like a lifetime. I'm bookmarking this page, so for the rest of the night I have more researching and purchasing than playing to do, but that's quite alright. On first glance, I'm excited about TLJ, Broken Sword, Blade Runner (I had no idea it was ever a game!), and Sanitarium. But it seems there's a whole world I've left unexplored.

Thanks again guys, you helped make a happy birthday!

EDIT: Regarding Monkey Island 1&2, should I continue on with the special remakes? Are they improved only graphically and mechanically, or is there story/soul missing from the originals that makes it worth going old school? Thanks again.

DrunkOnEstus:

EDIT: Regarding Monkey Island 1&2, should I continue on with the special remakes? Are they improved only graphically and mechanically, or is there story/soul missing from the originals that makes it worth going old school? Thanks again.

Glad to help and Happy Birthday!

As for the Monkey Island games they're actually very well done remakes. One of their neatest features which is fun to play around with is the ability to switch between 'classic mode' and the new version at the click of a button. Seriously. It's extremely well done and I highly recommend them.

I was always more of a Sam & Max fan myself but the Monkey Island games are unquestionably worth playing, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself!

ScrabbitRabbit:
I've only just started it myself, but The Longest Journey is an almost obligatory mention here. I've heard it has some frustratingly obtuse puzzles but the plot is meant to be fantastic.

Very much this.

ps. Monkey Island also goes without saying.

I don't know if Myst is really that kind of game... Actually, I do know ... you should play the myst games.

Dont forget Myst and it's sequels. Before The Sims came along it was the highest selling game of all time.

Honorable mention for SpyFox. I've only played the first game: Dry Cereal, but boy was it a hoot. I could jump back in and play Happy Fun Sub or Go Fish anytime!

There are some really good free 'escape the room' games floating about, one that springs to mind is 'The Crimson Room', I think there are a bunch of other 'The *colour* Room's as well. They aren't very long but I enjoyed them a lot.

have you tried Phyconauts?

I might not be a full-on point-and-click adventure...
But "The Walking Dead" is a brilliant game to look into...

Although not "finished" per-say, it has a great story to run with... Sure, it's a bit panicky sometimes, but, it's a great game...

I've played Psychonauts, it's an adventure in a more "Zelda-y" sense but it's probably in my top 10, Gamers should be glad we have Tim Schafer.

I played Myst when I was very young, I remember feeling really immersed due to the lack of a HUD, and also some puzzles really, well...puzzling me. If it's aged well I'll give it a shot, if nothing but to resurrect some memories. I never played (Riven?) or the other sequels.

I played the first chapter of Sam & Max, and while I found the banter between the two of them funny, and some of the puzzles having their own built in jokes enjoyable, the "former child actors" characters PISSED me off and annoyed me, and I got stuck and didn't want to bother again. I hear the following chapters did a much better job so I might try to push through the first one so as to not ruin continuity, but I did have a gigantic list fall on my lap after all : )

I thought Ceville was a lot of fun, maybe give that one a shot!

Hmm, I haven't played it myself and it's not really a point & click in the sense of, well, pointing and clicking but from I understand it has that same sort of spirit: To The Moon is a game I've been interested in myself. Might be worth looking into, I've heard nothing but good about it!

DrunkOnEstus:

I played the first chapter of Sam & Max, and while I found the banter between the two of them funny, and some of the puzzles having their own built in jokes enjoyable, the "former child actors" characters PISSED me off and annoyed me, and I got stuck and didn't want to bother again. I hear the following chapters did a much better job so I might try to push through the first one so as to not ruin continuity, but I did have a gigantic list fall on my lap after all : )

Fear not, they're quickly demoted to cameo appearances only. I don't think anyone much liked them! As mentioned the first season starts out rough but the series begins to hit a good stride with the second and third as the developers and writers really let loose with insane and often stupidly funny scenario, just as any Sam & Max game should!

A friend of mine is really interested in this game. I haven't even been into point-and-click adventures, and I would like to try this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU4upxz5bps
Plus, it helps that the commentator/player is downright hilarious at times, while playing this game.

The Madman:
Snip

"To the Moon" has been added to the gigantic text file : ) I plan to watch a Youtube video if available, read a wiki article, then consider price for the games on the list, unless it's $5 or less and on face value looks like taking the plunge.

Lugbzurg:
A friend of mine is really interested in this game. I haven't even been into point-and-click adventures, and I would like to try this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU4upxz5bps
Plus, it helps that the commentator/player is downright hilarious at times, while playing this game.

I've played Ep 1 and 2 of The Walking Dead (Free from PS+), and they're damn fine games. Suspenseful, filled with tension, and the mechanics are executed well both in gameplay and how the dialog affects what unfolds. Telltale's execution of this game is another major factor in my decision to revisit Sam & Max, as well as The Madman's assurance that it picks up the pace.

Thanks again for reminding me why the people make this place so great, guys.

DrunkOnEstus:
~snip~

I don't do a whole lot of point-and-click, but Kongregate has some interesting, if short, ones, including the Reincarnation series, the Several Journeys of Reemus, the Visitor, and some others. Some pretty good other games there are Electric Box 2 and the Robot Wants Kitty series.

DrunkOnEstus:
Telltale's execution of this game is another major factor in my decision to revisit Sam & Max, as well as The Madman's assurance that it picks up the pace.

Thanks again for reminding me why the people make this place so great, guys.

If you want to play the actually good one, get a hold of the original "Sam & Max: Hit the Road", it's another one of the LucasArts classics :P

Dexter111:
I'll just copy this here...

Very nice list but it predates Time Gentlemen Please! a fantastic little adventure which has unique responses for almost everything you do. No "I can't do that", the authors took the time to put in little skits for anything you might think to do and a huge number of things you wouldn't. Getting the cigarette lighter is comedy gold.

Oh and it has time-traveling nazi dinosaurs.

DrunkOnEstus:
I think this is the first time I ever snipped a post!

I played through Resonance just a few weeks ago, and it's really, REALLY good. I also found it quite challenging, but not in a cheap way (with the exception of one puzzle). It has some humour, but the overarching theme is pretty dark, which was a nice surprise in my opinion.
It also has a really nice retro look. I strongly recommend it.
It's available on both Steam and GOG.

How the hell did no one mention Sam and Max yet? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

Edit: Hmm, strange that ctrl+f did not show me Dexters post. I like your style dawg! :D

Emerald City Confidential is a wonderful, if slightly easy, classic adventure game. I like a lot of the Mystery Case Files games, too, though they tend to be adventure/hidden object hybrids.

Arcanum!

Gosh darn it if you want a point and click game with a good story then get Arcanum on GOG.
If I have to plug this game any more I expect to be paid for my advertising!

ScrabbitRabbit:

You can't live without having played Broken Sword. Logical puzzles, hilarious dialogue, gorgeous art and animation, it's truly amongst the genre's very best.

The Madman:

That aside I've always been a fan of the Broken Sword series of Point & Click as well, especially 1 and 2 both of which have not only extremely entertaining story and good characters but unlike TLJ above solid puzzle mechanics as well. Both the original games have also had recent re-release with higher quality visuals and a new 'tip' mechanic as well which makes replaying them an absolute dream. Plus if you want the original experience that's possible as well since GOG bundles the new and old versions together.

Have you seen kickstarter recently?
They're making Broken Sword 5 and are making sure its in 2D.

In fact that goes for everyone here. If you're a fan of adventure games at least go check out the Broken Sword kickstarter. There's some decent reward tiers and stretch goals. Or you can wait till release I guess. Its met its goal so its definitely happening.

Nantucket:
Arcanum!

Gosh darn it if you want a point and click game with a good story then get Arcanum on GOG.

Isn't that a DnD style CRPG? (I don't think I've written something quite as pedantically nerdy in a long time).

On topic, I know you've got loads of suggestions but as someone who rarely plays Point n Clicks, and barely finishes single player games I thoroughly enjoyed Gemini Rue this year, so I'll add another vote for that. Fairly new so easy to pick up.

I can recommend Daedalic's Whispered World and Deponia - both rather excellent games I'd even put on par with the old LucasArts stuff. The stories are all pretty interesting, the animation and art quality just great and there's a fair share of humor as well.

They made a few other point&click adventures so far but I haven't played the rest yet, so I don't know if they are just as good.

not_you:
I might not be a full-on point-and-click adventure...
But "The Walking Dead" is a brilliant game to look into...

Although not "finished" per-say, it has a great story to run with... Sure, it's a bit panicky sometimes, but, it's a great game...

This. I really enjoyed it. Got it a couple weekends ago, just after Episode 3 came out and really enjoyed it. Very emotional and hard on the player. I really recommend it.

Nantucket:
Arcanum!

I think you clicked on the wrong thread. The OP was looking for adventure games, not RPGs.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked