Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey KickStarter

Just a heads up that this KickStarter recently went Live for fans of Adventures that liked The Longest Journey and Dreamfall.

There's a somewhat longer Interview here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/08/journeys-end-dreamfall-chapters-interview-part-one/

And that's the KickStarter Page: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey

This was announced a while back: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120462-Dreamfall-Chapters-Dev-Turning-to-Kickstarter

I don't know.
If Ragnar speaks out in favor of TLJ then I could support this, but Dreamfall was rather derpy, especially towards the end: weak puzzles, clumsy stealth and combat sequences and a story that feels terribly rushed. The C&C ofcourse was fake aswell.
Hell, Dreamfall was even praised for it's story, but it was just a sequence of cliffhangers basicly.

TLJ is a proper adventure game though. I liked the puzzles, except for the key in the metro station part. A focus on tricky puzzles and a slightly more coherent story would be the ticket here.

I wish one of the tiers offered the first games. I'm waiting for a sale on them really.

Ah I want people to produce more independent storied games, I'll buy in and play the first games before this one is released. Even if I don't like the games myself, I'll be happy that this one has been made

BrotherRool:
I wish one of the tiers offered the first games. I'm waiting for a sale on them really.

Ah I want people to produce more independent storied games, I'll buy in and play the first games before this one is released. Even if I don't like the games myself, I'll be happy that this one has been made

I don't think they'll be able to offer the other games because Funcom still owns the rights to them IIRC.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, YESSSSSSS!!!!! The Longest Journey is easily one of my all time favourites, and Dreamfall for all its derpy faults still had the same gripping narrative and excellent characterization that made the original so spectacular making it another all time classic in my mind. And so I've been waiting years for a new game in this series, news like this makes me so damned happy.

Unfortunately they couldn't have picked a worse time to release this for me, I have absolutely no disposable income at the moment. Still, when I do get paid rest assured this kickstarter is getting a damned big chunk of it. Think I'll be going for that there fancy boxed copy. Put it on my shelf next to the originals.

This is going to get funded easy peasy =D Already 1/3 of the way there and the donations in the last couple of days can easily double the total amount raised. Hoping we hit some stretch goals

Backed that baby right up. There's some great stuff to look forward to now that publishers like Activision, EA and Ubisoft aren't involved. :-D

veloper:
I don't know.
If Ragnar speaks out in favor of TLJ then I could support this, but Dreamfall was rather derpy, especially towards the end: weak puzzles, clumsy stealth and combat sequences and a story that feels terribly rushed. The C&C ofcourse was fake aswell.
Hell, Dreamfall was even praised for it's story, but it was just a sequence of cliffhangers basicly.

TLJ is a proper adventure game though. I liked the puzzles, except for the key in the metro station part. A focus on tricky puzzles and a slightly more coherent story would be the ticket here.

To be honest, I enjoyed Dreamfall a lot more than The Longest Journey, although that might have something to do with me playing it first and backtracking to the other game. It wasn't a bad game, but something felt off about it the entire time and I had to force myself to play through certain parts of it.

I agree that the controls were rather stupid and some sections like the combat sequences or some puzzles I could have done without.

O.O Thank you so much for this! I had no idea!

I've been waiting for years for news of a continuation of the series. The Longest Journey is one of my all times favorite games. Dreamfall left a sort of bitter taste in my mouth and too big of a cliffhanger without any sequel in sight. When I finished it I had the same feeling you get when you look for something in a box, can't find it, but still can't believe you have taken all the content out to look. So you take the box, peek in it, turn it upside down and begin shaking it in the feeble hope that something may still fall out. At least that is what I wanted to do with my laptop at the time. Probably the fact that I finished the game around 8 AM after spending the entire night playing didn't help...

News of Chapters first appeared some good years ago, I believe, but nothing concrete.
Ah well, hopefully they will reach the goal and even stretch goals :D

"You are now a backer" Yay!

This is one game I wouldn't mind backing. So I did! :D

Yes I loved the longest journey and Dreamfall they were both awesome and if a new game is released I will buy it but I am not sure if I will support it on kickstarter, maybe I will but I just mistrust that idea.

Maximum Bert:
Yes I loved the longest journey and Dreamfall they were both awesome and if a new game is released I will buy it but I am not sure if I will support it on kickstarter, maybe I will but I just mistrust that idea.

This might be one of the safer bets, at the very least they're established developers so there's some better starting info, do you know if they've got much of a reputation for unreliability?

BrotherRool:

Maximum Bert:

This might be one of the safer bets, at the very least they're established developers so there's some better starting info, do you know if they've got much of a reputation for unreliability?

I dont know much about them at all to be fair hence my reluctance to support them and the fact that I have very little spare cash at the moment.

I do hope the game is made however they cant leave the story hanging like that.

Maximum Bert:

I dont know much about them at all to be fair hence my reluctance to support them and the fact that I have very little spare cash at the moment.

I do hope the game is made however they cant leave the story hanging like that.

It should get made now, they've only got $300 000 left with 27 days to go! And because it's big enough to make news posts on gaming websites, it should get a massive boost in the last couple of days. I'm hoping we get into stretch goal territory

Dreamfall was never really hit me. I had the same problem with the rest of the more serious adventure games that I was more into more humor ones.

I need my fix of theoretically blind vagrants!

Seriously though I loved the setting, the diverse cast, the humor and contrasting dark elements. I hear they're cutting out Dreamfall's combat as well, which I certainly won't miss. Hope this means that solid problem/puzzle solving makes a comeback, with a narrative that resolves more than a few cliffhangers.

Ragnar did an 'ama' over on Reddit answering peoples questions: LINK

Some great insights into his ideas for this game and the general setting there. For example Dreamfall: Chapters is the conclusion of Zoe's story from Dreamfall, but not necessarily April's from the original TLJ game, who's story could well be concluded in another game at a later date although she (and Crow) will be appearing in Chapters.

Oh my.

I think this whole Kickstarter craze has finally produced something I'm actually tempted to throw money at.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked