Bioshock InfinOH MY FUCKING GOD. (No spoilers.)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

grey_space:
Damn you all.

I now leaving my house to buy this game...

How long is it?

According to my Steam stats (which aren't always reliable) it took me about 16 and a half hours to complete on the hard difficulty.

However, I'm a stop-to-smell-the-roses kind of guy. I've seen people claim to have beaten it within ten hours.

The Ubermensch:
Argh!

This game is not the best thing since sliced bread

It is not ten otta fukken ten

Its seven out of ten in a world where COD gets a four

This is not the game gaming's Citizen Kane. Please stop acting like it is and that it's flawless

'GUYS YOU'RE ALL WRONG LISTEN TO ME EVEN THOUGH I DON'T GIVE ANY REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD'

Please, stomp your feet some more.

OT: Loved it, loved it, loved it. The first game is one of my favourites of all time and this surpassed it. Everything from the glorious opening and seeing people literally worshipping the founding fathers to the ending I adored. As for the ending, I thought it was a perfect end to the story. It tied up everything it needed to, emphasised the important themes of the narrative, and was clever and twisting without being overly complex or patronising. The story treated its audience like they were intelligent adults, and I appreciate that beyond anything else. If I have one minor complaint it's the section with the 'ghost' drags on a little too long and isn't especially fun. Those who've played it probably know what I mean.

Also, please make sure you stay till the end of the credits.

It is a great game, but am I alone in thinking that Bioshock is still better overall? Infinite is obviously better looking, and I love the fact that the game is quiet in a lot of places, where you get to watch Elizabeth go all "Booker, look!" I wish more shooters did this. But that's about it... enemies are forgettable, every single one of them. Big Daddies were quite the thing and I felt they had a reason to exist. But here, you're fighting mechanical presidents with miniguns and the Handyman, the Big Daddy equivalent, is just boring. Human enemies all behave like crazed splicers. It lacks a Big Daddy type, a Sander Cohen.

And you're doing all this fighting with weapons that just don't feel that good. Three machinegun types that I can't tell the difference, pistol and carbine might aswell be the same thing, etc. You get a grenade launcher despite being able to throw vigor-grenades at will. So there's a lot of weapons that I only used if I couldn't find anything else.

Columbia. Beautiful setting and, just like Rapture, it made me want to explore every little thing. The city feels alive (there are people living in it) but at the same time it doesn't (they all have the same face and aren't bothered by the man with the huge gun). To make it worse, the whole flying city sort of gets left behind, doesn't it? I expected a lot more fights where I'd fly from one island to another, making it sort of open world-ish, but they're very well put together battle arenas, I'll admit. I enjoyed the verticality of some of these fights, but for the most part, it was just like being anywhere in the world, buildings everywhere. I kind of forgot that I was on a flying city. I never felt that way in Rapture.

And of course, that ending... it's as if they wanted to out twist Bioshock.

To be clear, I think this is a great game, but to see some describing it as genius? I just can't see it. It is, however, way better than any of these modern shooters, and that's kind of obvious. Since it's a lot easier to bitch about things than it is to actually be nice, here's a list of things that I loved about this game:

I know this is going to sound like I'm lying, but I called the ending. I called EVERYTHING about the ending, including all the twists by the time DeWitt first meets Elizabeth.

That said, it's a brilliant game. The combat ranges between average and decent and the Vigors, while a nice change, felt decidedly underwhelming, but everything else was absolutely outstanding. The story was brilliant, the characterization of Booker and Elizabeth were both top-notch, the voice-acting was astounding and the game even had some really funny and creepy moment every now and then.

The ending was also a real joy, even though, as I said, it wasn't all that surprising for me, but on the other hand it was beautifully foreshadowed with meticulous detail. And if we are at the ending, I both loved it and hated it at the same time, as it appeared to be an optimistic one (don't forget to watch the stinger after the credits), but at the same time it turns really, really sad when you think about one specific aspect of it.

That said, it's a great game, I would give it a ten out of ten without a second thought.

Pink Gregory:

*we* aren't. Reviewers are. We are not saying it's flawless. We're saying that we enjoyed it. There's no 'objectivity' we're bandying around here.

Fair point
But all this praise is really starting to piss me off. It's good, I'm not saying it's not good; But we can do so much better.

FargoDog:

'GUYS YOU'RE ALL WRONG LISTEN TO ME EVEN THOUGH I DON'T GIVE ANY REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD'

Please, stomp your feet some more.

Kay

Wintermute:
snip

GabeZhul:

Please edit your post to put that bit in spoiler tags.

I realise I'm being pedantic here, but I when I put "No Spoilers" in the title I meant it.

Usually I'm not so anal about this sort of thing, but in this case it's kind of important to the game. I do not wish to detract from other people enjoyment in the slightest.

Zhukov:

GabeZhul:

Please edit your post to put that bit in spoiler tags.

I realise I'm being pedantic here, but I when I put "No Spoilers" in the title I meant it.

Usually I'm not so anal about this sort of thing, but in this case it's kind of important to the game. I do not wish to detract from other people enjoyment in the slightest.

(edit): Content removed as per the OP's request.

GabeZhul:
What are you talking about? It IS in spoiler tags.

It's spoiler tagged in my post because I put them in.

It isn't spoiler tagged in your post.

Fourth post of this page, last sentence of the first paragraph.

GabeZhul:

Like I said, I know I'm being pedantic.

Now please put it in spoilers. Also the bit I'm quoting in this post.

Thank you.

@Zhukov: Tch, whatever. It doesn't hurt me, but you are right, you are being very anal about this. BTW, another spoiler everyone: Booker is a guy. :P
@The Ubermensch: Star Trek Elite Force? Really? What is the term usually used here...? Ah, yes, cool story bro. :P

I've just got one question.

What the hell happened to all the content we saw in the demos?

And why is it so gaddamn unstable? I've literally just finished it (took me 9 hours on hard, which I frankly was quite disappointed about.) and then as the credits finish rolling and it starts to load something and crashes for the 50th freaking time. I try reloading and I have to go through the end sequence again.

So if there is something at the end, which I suspect, I'll have to go through the lighthouse scenes again.

I may have really enjoyed the game, if it wasn't for it's sporadic crashes that made me repeat sections and for me constantly wondering when Elizabeth is going to start helping me in combat. Like this.

The product we got was nothing like this.

And I'm a little miffed to be honest.

The game is simply awesome and I bought it at release, something I do very rarely, because of the critical reception. It hasn't disappointed me. I don't think it would be better as a point-and-click adventure, I like to shoot people in the face old-style single-player, especially considering I rarely play FPSes nowadays. I decided to play on Hard to begin with (I generally go with Normal difficulty) and it has been great fun, not too hard and it does not feel easy. I don't agree that the shooting sections feel "juvenile", they're a representation of the conflicts Booker and Elizabeth go through, and the help Elizabeth provides in some situations is crucial and helps to strengthen the bond between the two.

I have some small gripes with the game, one is with saving; I understand not allowing me to save at will as a design decision, I agree it improves the flow of the game by avoiding the temptation of quickloading when something goes wrong, but the game sometimes crashes on me (it seems to be happening a lot with nvidia cards) and the latest checkpoint was 30, 40 minutes ago, and I hate having to backtrack so much. It could save more frequently. Sometimes I enter into or go out of an area just to force the game to save, but this option is not always available.

I remember having other issues when I was playing yesterday but I honestly can't remember now what it was, so it's obviously not something that important. I was just commenting earlier today that the game has the more ambitious storytelling I've seen so far in a triple-A game, and it manages to pull it off beautifully. Amazing game. Haven't finished yet but I'm close, I'm curious about the ending.

Must... resist... purchasing... game! Need to... preserve... cash!

Aggghh! Why did I even look at this thread! I knew it was going to be praising the game, but I just 'had' to look anyway. The temptation is unbearable!
I am really making this hard on myself. (No, it's everyone else's fault!)

The Ubermensch:

Kay

Fair enough. I don't particularly agree with you, or very much at all to be honest, but opinions are opinions and I'd be lying if I said you hadn't expressed yours... Thoroughly. One thing though -

Abandon4093:

And why is it so gaddamn unstable? I've literally just finished it (took me 9 hours on hard, which I frankly was quite disappointed about.) and then as the credits finish rolling and it starts to load something and crashes for the 50th freaking time. I try reloading and I have to go through the end sequence again.

So if there is something at the end, which I suspect, I'll have to go through the lighthouse scenes again.

I may have really enjoyed the game, if it wasn't for it's sporadic crashes that made me repeat sections and for me constantly wondering when Elizabeth is going to start helping me in combat. Like this.

The crashes are on you, my friend. I didn't have a single technical issue with this game (aside of having to dumb down the graphics to run it on my machine).

As for the gameplay in that video, it is pretty obvious that it was a REALLY early version of the game, and the storm-thing was pretty much just a cut-scene. For me, I was perfectly satisfied with her bringing in Motorized Patriots and gunbots. :P

FargoDog:

The Ubermensch:

Kay

Fair enough. I don't particularly agree with you, or very much at all to be honest, but opinions are opinions and I'd be lying if I said you hadn't expressed yours... Thoroughly. One thing though -

Yeah, I got that on further reflection, I did this a few days ago.

You have to admit, despite your opinion of my opinion, that was a pretty epic retort

Goddammit.
The day I flew off for spring break was the day the game had come out. I could've gotten it right before I left but with the price tag, I decided to try reviews first so I don't end up spending money on a clunker, even one that I've been anticipating since it's announcement. No reviews so with my flight time nearing(though ironically, when I got to the airport, it was delayed for 5 hours due to the Uk spring blizzard), I said, nah and left it.

Now I hear left, right and centre that this game seems to dispense oral sex and hot chocolate and now I'm bitter I'm missing out

GabeZhul:

Abandon4093:

The crashes are on you, my friend. I didn't have a single technical issue with this game (aside of having to dumb down the graphics to run it on my machine).

Me and a whole host of other people, enough for them to have made a patch that came out this morning... That also didn't really work.

I've never had those kind of technical issue with any other game before. I've had crashes sure, but these were more or less constant. And always happened on menus and loading screens.

As for the gameplay in that video, it is pretty obvious that it was a REALLY early version of the game, and the storm-thing was pretty much just a cut-scene. For me, I was perfectly satisfied with her bringing in Motorized Patriots and gunbots. :P

Of course it was an early version, doesn't change the fact that it looks a million times better than what we got. Opening tears to bring out some grey robots or flying turrets doesn't have quite the same kind of appeal as coordinating vigor attacks or catching bombardment shells with TK and sending them back.

Abandon4093:
snip

For the crashing issue, you have my sympathy, but it is still anecdotal. For you and many others, it crashed. For me and many others, it didn't. The only difference is that when there are technical problems, people are much more vocal about them than when there are none (duh), so it is a lot easier to find people with issues than ti find people who people who had none, since the latter had no reason to complain.

As for the demo gameplay, well, you might feel that way, but after watching the entire video, I think I prefer the final product.
Also, I really can't see how you could fault the game for the gameplay, as it is a vehicle for the plot at best. In the case of a game plot like this, I would have happily played it even if the gameplay was completely broken, the fact at it was pretty decent was just a little bit of icing on the cake.
Our perspectives are very different, I suppose.

I'm wondering what will happen with the DLC. There's no multiplayer so it'll have something to do with the story. Will it be a continuation, or a side story that happened during the main one? If its some stupid horde mode i'm gonna be pissed hehe.

Zhukov:
Be warned, this may get a bit wall-o-text-y. There'll be a TL;DR at the bottom.

So, I love me some Bioshock. The original game is one of my all time favourites. I liked System Shock 2 back in the day. Hell, I even thought Bioshock 2 was alright. So it goes without saying that I had some pretty high expectations of Bioshock Infinite.

Well, Bioshock Infinite looked upon my contemptibly petty expectations with a sneer and replied, "Oh yee of little faith", then proceeded to do its thing in spectacular fashion.

Yeah... what I'm trying to say is, this game is multiple flavours of exceptionally awesome.

So naturally I shall start with the things I don't like, as is my wont. Let's see now..

I suppose my main gripe is that there is a bit of a mismatch of gameplay and, well... everything else. You see, Bioshock Infinite is a first person shooter. Now, it's a good shooter and it's an absolute blast to play. However, considering everything else it has to offer in the story, character and setting department, the segments that revolve around shooting people in the face can only feel a bit crude and juvenile in comparison. I just feel it could have been better in another genre. A point-and-click adventure maybe, or... oh, I dunno.

Speaking of shooting people in the face, the weapons are a bit dull. It's mostly just the usual selection of small pistol, big pistol, shotgun, rifle, sniper rifle, SMG, machine gun, RPG, la-de-dah-de-dah. Happily, there are also the "vigors" (read: plasmids/spells) that allow for such shenanigans as catching incoming bullets and flinging them back, levitating your enemies or attacking them with flocks of crows. (Yes, seriously. Crows. It's good fun.)

Let's see, what else? There's a two weapon limit, a la Halo. Personally, I liked that and the way it forced you to use whatever was on hand, but I know some people don't feel that way. (Plasm... vigors work differently. You only have two selected at once, but you can switch them out at will.)

Uh... regenerating health? Once again, it uses a Halo-style system with one regenerating bar and one that needs to be replenished with supplies. Once again, I liked it, but I know others may not.

Oh, and you can't fall off Columbia. Doing so just gets you instantly respawned. I thought that was a bit weak.

If it seems like I'm grasping for things to criticize here, it's because I bloody well am. Those of you who have been around for a while may know that I am rather demanding of games. Hell, I'll cheerfully point out the flaws even in games that I love. So if these are all the flaws I can find in Bioshock Infinite then I call that a win. Which leads me to the bit where I start gushing like a malfunctioning fire hydrant.

The game is utterly fucking gorgeous and the setting is amazing. The aesthetic design is off-the-charts awesome. You could stop at any point in the game and chances are that you would be looking at something beautiful. The architecture, the character designs, the background vistas... everything is beautiful.

The music is great. It stays in the background for the most part, but whenever you do notice it, you'll also notice that it's really damn good.

No description of Bioshock Infinite would be complete without mention of Elizabeth. While Booker is the protagonist and a damn good one (rest assured, he's no Marcus Phoenix), Elizabeth is very much the star of the show. And she's really good, both as a character and as an AI sidekick. It's obvious that immense amounts of effort have been spent on making her as active as possible. During the quiet moments she pokes about the environment, scavenging money and pointing out rare items. In combat she spots the more dangerous varieties of enemies, summons aid and throws you supplies. I lost count of how many times she saved my arse with a timely medkit or shotgun.

You may have noticed that I've barely mentioned anything about the story. That's because it's awesome and if I were to spoil it in any way you would be well within your rights to beat me senseless with a sack of rapid weasels. So for the purposes of this post I shall speak in generalities.

Basically, the story is great. It's expertly paced, from a big beginning to calm and measured middle to steadily building climax to mind blowing ending. Perhaps what I like best is how well it foreshadows everything. It consistently gave me enough hints to make accurate guesses about what was to come. But then whenever what I had predicted came true, it came true in such a way as to amaze me all over again.

So, in conclusion, it felt like a privilege to be able to play this game and I recommend it without reservation. Bioshock Infinite is the kind of game that most games wish they could be when they grow up.

TL;DR - This game is awesome in just about every possible way. Go buy it.

DUDE! Remember when you finally find out how that city is in the air(spoilers not givin) and your all like "oh" "NOW YOU TELL ME!" Like it was an afterthought.

also how do vigors and salts work ive been waiting on the game to explain it but perhaps ive missed a voxophone somewhere.

edit: I missed Return the sender?! OMG IVE DESPERATELY NEEDED THAT VIGOR!

After about 5 hours of play, I am going to throw one criticism at it though: the game is too fucking easy on Normal. I'm a freaking terminator on that difficulty.
Which is why I'm really glad the game allows you to switch difficulty at any point. Hard was a pretty decent challenge without making it unfair. I have no idea how to do 1999-mode on a computer though.

..oh, and another thing. At Hard, the Possession vigor is the only vigor that seems worth it 90% of the time. In fact, it's probably a bit broken. I mean, if used on a regular enemy(who are already pretty tough on Hard), I'm guaranteed a kill on him, as well as allowing him to distract(or even kill) other enemies for me, opening so many more options in combat than any of the other vigors.

..yeah, that's about the criticisms I've been able to extract thus far. Everything else is really, really good. Including the graphics on my machine, when I'm running the game at very low with a processor that isn't really cut for this game in the first place. The characters are amazing, the action is way better than the original Bioshock was and the city and environments are way more interesting than Rapture was(which kind of says a lot).

Naeras:
After about 5 hours of play, I am going to throw one criticism at it though: the game is too fucking easy on Normal. I'm a freaking terminator on that difficulty.
Which is why I'm really glad the game allows you to switch difficulty at any point. Hard was a pretty decent challenge without making it unfair. I have no idea how to do 1999-mode on a computer though.

..oh, and another thing. At Hard, the Possession vigor is the only vigor that seems worth it 90% of the time. In fact, it's probably a bit broken. I mean, if used on a regular enemy(who are already pretty tough on Hard), I'm guaranteed a kill on him, as well as allowing him to distract(or even kill) other enemies for me, opening so many more options in combat than any of the other vigors.

..yeah, that's about the criticisms I've been able to extract thus far. Everything else is really, really good. Including the graphics on my machine, when I'm running the game at very low with a processor that isn't really cut for this game in the first place. The characters are amazing, the action is way better than the original Bioshock was and the city and environments are way more interesting than Rapture was(which kind of says a lot).

I too run it on low and far be it from me to tell the difference.

rbstewart7263:
DUDE! Remember when you finally find out how that city is in the air(spoilers not givin) and your all like "oh" "NOW YOU TELL ME!" Like it was an afterthought.

also how do vigors and salts work ive been waiting on the game to explain it but perhaps ive missed a voxophone somewhere.

There is one in Finks brother's house where he mentions looking through a tear and seeing a brilliant scientist making what is going to be a gold mine of a product. I assumed that he was literally looking at Rapture and watching the Plasmids get created.

If it weren't for all the money problems I've been having, I would have gotten this game. Unfortunately, I have to wait, and that infuriates me. I wanna play it, damn it. I even have a 50 inch plasma I might be able to play it on(have to get it fixed first).

Zhukov:

I agree with everything you've said there.

When I say "thematic departure", I mostly mean the way that the whole floating-city-as-both-a-symbol-of-and-projection-of-American-exceptionalism-and-ideological-export thing becomes significantly less relevant in the final act of the game.

Hence, "an ending for the characters rather than an ending for the setting".

You understand?

That's part of what made the story so satisfying to me; The setting is just that, a setting, and the game is really all about Elizabeth, Booker and Comstock.

Love the gunplay and the plasmids are pretty fluent. I wish there was some way to replay parts of the game though without having to play through the entire game again. Bioshock at least had its save points. Fighting the handymen was the tensest, funnest fights in all of video gaming, and I now have to replay around five hours of the game just to get to that point.

I also miss much of Bioshock's unique mechanics. No research, or resource harvesting, or Gene Banks, or returning to previous levels, or optional boss fights with the Big Daddies.

Soviet Heavy:
How is the ending? No spoilers, but is it the same crapshoot tacked on like the first game? While Bioshock 2 is in many ways inferior to the first, I thought that the ending to Bioshock 2 was far better, because it continued on with the main thrust of the story: Delta and Eleanor's relationship. It wasn't a 30 second clip telling you "and then this happened."

How does Infinite stack up>?

...Have you ever played Spec Ops: The Line? If you haven't, go play it.

If you have, then expect a very similar ending: a punch in the stomach explanation that quickly ends the story, after you spend around half an hour in trippy landscapes not doing anything but walking around and letting other characters explain. Sure the twist was built up to a point, and when you replay the game it'll be even more evident how planned out it was, but I think that the twist was so extraordianarily "I can do what I want" bullshit that it takes away from the entire game up to the point.

It's got nothing on the "Would you kindly..." twist in Bioshock. No brain explosion "I NEVER SAW THAT COMING!", more like, "I never saw that coming because I didn't expect something so stupid."

The biggest flaw of Bioshock: Infinite is that it's not an open-world RPG with Crysis style combat arenas all over the place :)

It's a game whose own awesomeness ends up brushing against the self-imposed limitations of a linear shooter, which is probably the greatest flaw a game can ever have, that no matter how much they give you, you want more.

GabeZhul:

Abandon4093:
snip

For the crashing issue, you have my sympathy, but it is still anecdotal. For you and many others, it crashed. For me and many others, it didn't. The only difference is that when there are technical problems, people are much more vocal about them than when there are none (duh), so it is a lot easier to find people with issues than ti find people who people who had none, since the latter had no reason to complain.

As for the demo gameplay, well, you might feel that way, but after watching the entire video, I think I prefer the final product.
Also, I really can't see how you could fault the game for the gameplay, as it is a vehicle for the plot at best. In the case of a game plot like this, I would have happily played it even if the gameplay was completely broken, the fact at it was pretty decent was just a little bit of icing on the cake.
Our perspectives are very different, I suppose.

It seems to have been an issue with Nvidia cards. And if I remember right, the first game didn't like Nvidia either.

And I thought that story was pretty easy to figure out to be honest.

I suppose it's my fault for going into it expecting something comparable to the first Bioshock. Where it actually questions to the players motives etc.

Still, I can't help but feel a little disappointed.

Abandon4093:
[snip]

SPOILER POLICE!

Seriously, dude, fix your tags right the hell now.

EDIT: Oh, and now you've gone and fixed it by the time I post this. Now I look silly. Nice going, you scoundrel.

Ah, I knew I shouldn't have read this thread. Now I really want to play it but my wallet says no.
I guess I know what I'm going to pick up at the next Steam sale. Though, reading through this thread, it sounds like it deserves to be bought at full price.

Zhukov:

Abandon4093:
[snip]

SPOILER POLICE!

Seriously, dude, fix your tags right the hell now.

EDIT: Oh, and now you've gone and fixed it by the time I post this. Now I look silly. Nice going, you scoundrel.

I'd fixed them before you quoted me.

Ehhhh...I've learned my lesson that last 5 times I bought a shooter of any kind that looked interesting.

FPS/TPS just isn't my cup o' tea. Interesting though it looks, I'm not going to get Bioshock: Infinite. I know I'm going to get bored and lose interest early-mid game because I just don't enjoy FPS gameplay very much. Of course, there are the exceptions every now and again(Dishonored/Deus Ex: Human Revolution) but I also did not particularly enjoy the first two Bioshock titles.

It looks neat, but I have to give it a pass. I'm not willing to drop $60 on it.

Abandon4093:

Okay, now that that little emergency is dealt with, to address some of your points.

Abandon4093:
I'd fixed them before you quoted me.

Uh... then how did I see them in their non-fixed state? When I clicked that quote button they were there for all the world to see.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked