In desperate need of a diplomacy-based strategy game

When I play civilization sims (Is that what you'd call them? I don't really know), be they 4X Space Games or more grounded, I tend to take the more diplomatic route. I prefer peace and technology to warmaking. Call it an aversion to fighting, call it a desperate plea for peace in a war-torn age, but mostly just call me crap at it. Diplomacy, trade and culture, on the other hand, are things I can usually do pretty well, and I enjoy building my civilizations around those a lot more. But a lot of civilization games are based off of conflict, which is fine but it's just not really my thing. As a result, I find myself sorely lacking in new games to play, which gets tiresome after a while. Therefore, I'd like some new ones recommended. They can't be all too beautiful though, because otherwise my laptop will reverse every repair done on it in the past 5 years and burst into flames, probably taking my house with it. This is not something I'd like to see happen, needless to say.

TL;DR I need some civilization-esque games based off of diplomacy rather than war, preferably not too taxing on the ol' PC. Which is basically the title of the thread, so I really didn't need any of this, but goddamit, that was an almost coherent paragraph and I'm not wasting it!

id recomend something like crusader kings 1 or 2. the only real goal is to make sure your dynasty still exists at the end. so you can safely ignore conquest but also its fun when your intrigue and diplomacy works.

there is also an older game called republic: the revolution but something just released is geo-political simulator

if you want something more space orientated then check out "distant worlds" it allows you to concerntrate on what areas you like and the AI does a good job at running the military side on its own

It's possible to win via diplomacy in both Galactic Civilizations 2: Endless Universe and Civ5.

Crusader Kings 2 is the game you're looking for. The entire point of the game is diplomacy and politics while combat is very much a secondary concern. It's also one of the best strategy games released in years and definitely worth checking out.

Other than that there's a fun oldie called Kings of Dragon Pass I picked up awhile back from gog which is very much a diplomacy driven game. Unique concept as well, very fun little title. Hard as hell though.

Then you've got your trade sim style strategy games. The Victoria and Guild series namely, those are largely diplomacy driven.

But most of all I still say Crusader Kings 2. It's just a brilliant strategy game and if you're in the mood for scheming politics and backstabbing, it's the best out there!

i'm not massively into strategy for similar reasons to you - i prefer diplomacy to the straight up 'build a war economy and trounce everyone as quickly as possible' route, and i find this often ill catered for. in AoE i often find i fall behind on the score table early on because of my insistence on proper town planning :D

sid meier's civ series is a good 'un for chaps like us. I'm not sure if you were referring to the series in your use of the term 'civilisation-esque' or if this was just a general term :S

either way, nice to know i'm not the only one who likes to crush my enemies with unstoppable pacifism (Ghandi is my favourite civ character, obviously :D )

I see Civ 5 being mentioned a lot, but that doesn't seem right. I mean, yes, diplomacy is a factor in Civ, but it's not really the basis of the game. I've been playing a lot recently, and what usually happens is I'm leaving well enough alone, focusing on infrastructure and rapid scientific and economic growth, when some uppity jackass declares war on me. Then I have to raise a small army on short notice, usually quite smaller than my opponent's, but nevertheless I'll wipe out their attacking force and lose 1, 2 troops at the most. Now suddenly I find myself with a sizable army and a completely undefended, warmongering neighbour who's just stabbed me in the back. So I march in there and remove them as a threat, get some breathing room, and now all of a sudden, everybody's denouncing me, and I have to make do with poor trade deals for the next few centuries.

My point being that Civilization V is not a game which has pacifism as a serious option. You're going to get into wars, unless you really put yourself at an advantage to avoid them - it's not a strategy the game really supports.

That said, I don't really know many games which do have pacifistic diplomacy as a good option, so I dunno. Just thought I'd address the Civ V question.

CAPTCHA: danish robot dancers.

What the...

SirPlindington:

TL;DR I need some civilization-esque games based off of diplomacy rather than war, preferably not too taxing on the ol' PC. Which is basically the title of the thread, so I really didn't need any of this, but goddamit, that was an almost coherent paragraph and I'm not wasting it!

Try Shogun 2 with graphics on pretty low it may work with your pc. look into it before you buy it because it may need very high specs, but I'd say its just what you are looking for.

Paradox games are generally pretty good for this.

Victorie (2) and Crusader Kings (2) have both already been mentioned. I'd like to ass Europa Uuniversalis (3) to that list. It is quite possible to play most of the game without (serious) war, it's not completely avoidable though, as war is very much a part of history and therefore of historical simulators like this.

The Madman:

Other than that there's a fun oldie called Kings of Dragon Pass I picked up awhile back from gog which is very much a diplomacy driven game. Unique concept as well, very fun little title. Hard as hell though.

Hard as hell? Guess... xD

I learned that if you screw the war gods and the diplomacy gods and go with the cow gods, and trade food for cows, and metal for cows, and goods for cows. Dedicate all your farmland to cows.

In the end you will just live off of your cattle, and droughts won't hurt you because duh. Cattle. You don't need outer patrols because, ehm. Cattle. And enemies winning battles against you won't hurt you because again. No farmland to burn, just cattle.

Sure you need around 4-6000 to fully sustain yourself, but once you have that you will start getting so many cows that you can trade yourself to whatever you need, buying all artifacts and goods from everyone else. Heck, you can even sustain villages with five times the normal population (Just keep feasting to offset the over-population unhappyness) and kill every raiding party by sheer superior in numbers.

Alright, it got boring after my 'village' had the population of two towns. But It's fun to try at least once.

OT: Recommending Crusader Kings, and Crusader Kings. Dunno any other diplomacy-focused games.

verdant monkai:

SirPlindington:

Try Shogun 2 with graphics on pretty low it may work with your pc. look into it before you buy it because it may need very high specs, but I'd say its just what you are looking for.

In what way is Total War Shogun 2 a diplomacy over war game. This is the exact opposite of what the OP was asking for. You have to wage war to win, the whole game is centered around war and real time strategy.

Imperialism?

It's fairly old, and sounds like what you're looking for, though I haven't yet played it myself, despite owning it.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/imperialism

Probably something of a progenitor to the Paradox grand strategy titles, if anything.

Also there's a sequel.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/imperialism_2_the_age_of_exploration

Mount and blade has nice diplomacy mechanics. I wouldn't call it a strategy though, more like an RPG/strategy mix.

verdant monkai:

Every time I've ever tried to have peace in Shogun 2 someone wars eventually. I can be minding my own business, building cash money, and then some dick of a clan forces me into defence stations.

Anyway, Crusader Kings 2 is a really good game, with some outstanding mods that can either enhance the base game, or set it in places such as the A Song of Ice and Fire or the Elder Scrolls mythos, fantastic if you are interested in either of those things. There's also Victoria 2, which is a game I have spent a little too much time on.

yeah, that's pretty much crusader knights 2 you are asking for. great game, looks really complex at first glance but after a few hours you'll know your way around the menues like it's nothing.

chronicfc:

Every time I've ever tried to have peace in Shogun 2 someone wars eventually. I can be minding my own business, building cash money, and then some dick of a clan forces me into defence stations.

I generally play on easy mode.

I'm not there for strategic or sense of achievement I just like the feeling of being a warlord, and looking at the tiny little men die for my amusement.

Galactic Civilization 2 is great for this.

One of my favorites was being an galactic arms dealer, using my cash and influence to keep all the other factions at war with each other, while at the same time pumping out fleets of ships which I then sold to the various factions to keep the wars going and well supplied.

While their people starved I was rolling in the cash, and every now and then I would buy a colony from them, only to sell them more ships to get my money back.

Ahh the good old days...

Yeah, I'll Voice another recommendation for Crusader Kings 2 and Galactic Civilizations 2.

GalCiv2 is much more approachable, easier to learn, and the tone is kinda goofy sometimes. It's a nice fun experience. And I can personally guarantee it's possible to win without building a single military ship. That game was fun.

Crusader Kings 2 is much more serious and deeper, but has a VERY steep learning curve. It's also a bit less... well, it's basically pretty menu driven. 95% of what you'll be doing in the game is selecting options from a menu and tracking stats through other menus.

Both are absolutely great games though, and I recommend each.

Edit:

Desert Punk:
Galactic Civilization 2 is great for this.

One of my favorites was being an galactic arms dealer, using my cash and influence to keep all the other factions at war with each other, while at the same time pumping out fleets of ships which I then sold to the various factions to keep the wars going and well supplied.

While their people starved I was rolling in the cash, and every now and then I would buy a colony from them, only to sell them more ships to get my money back.

Ahh the good old days...

This guy knows how it's done! :D Gotta love the flexibility that game gives you!

Crusader Kings II is definitely about diplomacy, but not so much about a civilization-building pacifist foreign policy type of diplomacy, as about a simulation of medieval feudal dynastic politicking.

It's not mainly about the details of warfare, but it's still pretty violent.

It's basically Game of Thrones - The Game, more so than the licencsed GoT games. It's all about incest, and intrigue, and arranged marriages, and assassinations, and legitimized bastards, and de jure land claims, and about rebellions, and deposed royal heirs taking back their birthright from usurpers, and about setting up your own council, distributing honorary titles, and cheating on your lord husband, and about putting heads on spikes.

Dwarf Fortress

*hand pyramid of evil contemplation*

verdant monkai:

Shogun 2 is certainly not what he is looking for. I love the game and whilst they have made improvements over the pervious games, diplomacy still has very little to do with how you play it. That is especially true when you hit the realm divide event in the base game and whatever the same event is called in FotS when what little diplomacy there was goes completely out of the window.

The games the OP probably wants to take a look at as many have already suggessted are a few of the paradox games - mainly the Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis and Victoria series, which have well developed diplomacy options and could theoretically be played without fighting a single war.

Froggy Slayer:
Dwarf Fortress

*hand pyramid of evil contemplation*

You are a bad person and should be ashamed of yourself.

That being said.

Dorf Fortress is awesome. If you like DF, you should check out Clockwork Empires thats currently in development, read an article about it in PC gamer and it sounds AMAZING. Dwarf Fortress, Steampunk, and Call of Cthulhu, all mixed into one game.

Civ 5, especially with Brave New World coming out soon.
Endless Space has diplomatic victory, as long as you aren't the cravers.

I personally would like a diplomacy and political intrigue based rpg. Less actual fighting and more figuring out your alliances and gaining wealth.

Entitled:
Crusader Kings II is definitely about diplomacy, but not so much about a civilization-building pacifist foreign policy type of diplomacy, as about a simulation of medieval feudal dynastic politicking.

It's not mainly about the details of warfare, but it's still pretty violent.

It's basically Game of Thrones - The Game, more so than the licencsed GoT games. It's all about incest, and intrigue, and arranged marriages, and assassinations, and legitimized bastards, and de jure land claims, and about rebellions, and deposed royal heirs taking back their birthright from usurpers, and about setting up your own council, distributing honorary titles, and cheating on your lord husband, and about putting heads on spikes.

And hunting. Lots of hunting.

And for the people spruiking Shogun 2... fuck no. The diplomacy mechanics in the Total War games are simplistic and often broken. You want diplomacy and warfare in feudal Japan, go grab Paradox's Sengoku instead.

I.Muir:
I personally would like a diplomacy and political intrigue based rpg. Less actual fighting and more figuring out your alliances and gaining wealth.

if thats what you are into The Guild 2 is the game for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guild_2

It is an RPG where you manage your family along various lines, you have children, and eventually the main character passes away and you play as one of the children in the family. It revolves around a few small cities depending on the map where you start businesses ranging from banditry to food suppliers or shipping, and you buy or shmooze your way into the local governments and the like to gain even more power.

It can be a bit...frustrating at times, but if you stick with it and learn its ins and outs it can be very rewarding.

heres the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guild_2
(just ignore the multiplayer part, it can be played multiplayer or singleplayer, however you like)
Hope that helps!

SirPlindington:
Diplomacy, trade

I am developing a game that focuses on diplomacy & trade. Combat is a tool of diplomacy.

In play testing there have been "wargamers" that have gone down the path of conquest, only to be crushed by the diplomatic players. Not that conquest is not possible, it just has to be prepared for, allies accumulated, enemies isolated, agents infiltrated.

I feel it is possible that the right player could play "puppet master" and triumph without themselves being militarily aggressive.

Trade is also a major part of the game. My mechanism to promote trade is this : Assets are built from Nanobits. Nanobits are created by refining minerals. The more mineral types you use in refining, the greater the ratio of conversion. Thus, you want as many mineral types as possible. Of course only some of the minerals are available locally...

This is a non-commercial project, so the graphics and audio (what audio? ... maybe some day) are low end.
But if you want diplomacy & trade...

The game is still in closed beta, but if you want in on the next test run, PM me.

Desert Punk:

I.Muir:

if thats what you are into The Guild 2 is the game for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guild_2

It is an RPG where you manage your family along various lines, you have children, and eventually the main character passes away and you play as one of the children in the family. It revolves around a few small cities depending on the map where you start businesses ranging from banditry to food suppliers or shipping, and you buy or shmooze your way into the local governments and the like to gain even more power.

It can be a bit...frustrating at times, but if you stick with it and learn its ins and outs it can be very rewarding.

heres the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guild_2
(just ignore the multiplayer part, it can be played multiplayer or singleplayer, however you like)
Hope that helps!

ill second the gild 2. buggy but a fun series. you can end up running whole cities, exiling opposition, burning down their businesses, etc fun stuff

http://www.gog.com/game/democracy_3

I hear trying to handle the diplomatic issues between all the different social groups is pretty tricky.

I know Crusader Kings II has been named many times already, but what I'd like to add is the fact that Crusader Kings II does a great job at making the world feel alive. Every emperor, king, duke, count and courtier is actively trying to make his dynasty survive and prosper. Everywhere there are wars, schemes and struggles going on. You really get the sense that you're just a pawn within a massive world.

If you can find it, there's a space-based RTS called Pax Imperia in which you can get away with no conflict, though it makes it a bit trickier. You can ally with any other race you encounter, but your allies might not be allied with eachother and constantly fighting. Basically the way you win is by wiping out all the other races or being part of a unified alliance of the last races left in the galaxy. After that point you can actually keep playing to explore the galaxy (you can make it as big or small as you want, I think ranging from 10 star systems up to 99, which is frickin' huge).

It's neat how the alliances work in that game too, they progress from "neutral" at your First Contact with a new race to "trade routes" which bolsters your economy to "repair and refuel" which allows you to explore further (the exploration is based off of hyper-drive charges, you can only expend half of the max charge in exploring outward before you'd have to turn around and head back to your home territory to refuel...unless you have some friendly neighbors who can serve as a pit-stop for you). Then you become official allies and can share vision (so you can see all of their territories and ship activities and they can see all of yours) and I think the last level of alliance is officially sharing technology.

So yeah, you can definitely serve as a peace-brokering race in that game if you want to...and it's actually pretty advisable since the combat in that game is a bit wonky to begin with. Still, it's a very fun, very old game, but if you can find it I'd say it'd be something right up your alley. And since it's so old, I'd imagine your computer should have no trouble running it.

Star Drive has pretty extensive diplomacy. Most other factions are chill with you from the get go and you can even design your race to be ultra kick ass at diplomacy. Finally, there's a victory condition of having all remaining races united in an alliance with you. The only enemies you might have to deal with are the Remnant(always hostile). Unfortunately, it may melt your processor.

Likewise, Sins of a Solar Empire can turn into this if you're willing to do missions for others and give them resources. This game being around 5-6 years old, it shouldn't melt your processor.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked