Video Games and Anime: should they mix?

Pages PREV 1 2

Anime is perfect source material for games. not dragon ball Z, naruto, sailor moon etc. that stuff is shit.

Anime has already had a huge influence on cinema & games, not to mention art in general.

Are You talking about the Animation style or basing a game on an Anime series?

If your talking about the storyline of an Anime series being used in a game then all I need to say is that; they tried it with DBZ and it failed.

The Animation on the other hand sounds like an interesting idea, prehaps with the use of cell shading it wouldn't look to bad, not as good as othher games but not to bad.

Fire Daemon:

If your talking about the storyline of an Anime series being used in a game then all I need to say is that; they tried it with DBZ and it failed.

The Animation on the other hand sounds like an interesting idea, prehaps with the use of cell shading it wouldn't look to bad, not as good as othher games but not to bad.

Storyline, themes, style, or just influence.
Oni was very, very good.

I can't actually think of a good game thats based on an anime(not including vice versa), but theres some serious potential.
Hellsing game, hell yes.

Axulciex:

Fire Daemon:

Storyline, themes, style, or just influence.
Oni was very, very good.

I can't actually think of a good game thats based on an anime(not including vice versa), but theres some serious potential.
Hellsing game, hell yes.

I can think of alot that suck lol.

Zera:
They are both quite different fields if you think about it. Being a fan of both, this question came to mind. Now I know there have been some anime based games, But do you ever think they would be well "good enough" for other gamers to get into besides the fans of the anime[?]

Yes. I do think there are some anime based games that appeal to non-fans and there will be more. For instance, I've never seen Naruto, but Naruto: Rise of a Ninja looked like something I would enjoy. It hasn't arrived yet, so I haven't played it, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm also tempted to try out the Bleach game on the wii. While I used to be a Bleac fan, I wouldn't say I am currently. I think there are definitely animes that could be made into excellent games that would appeal to people who've never even heard of the show. Just off the top of my head, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell, in the right hands, could be awesome games. Personally I'd love to see what a Satoshi Kon style game would be like.

Yes I really do love them integrating anime art into games its alot easier to animate trust me for my school video games anime style is the easiest way to make it look good.

I think Naruto: Rise of a Ninja this year proved that its possible to create a very good game from an anime licence, several other games have shown that its possible to tie them in but rarely are the licences tossed out to a developer not based in Japan. That I think is the major issue, if the licences were given more often to non-Japan developers like Ubisoft I reckon the level of quality we see in anime licenced games would skyrocket.

Just keep them out of EA's hands.

I will say this, the Ghost in the Shell game that came out on the PS1 was an excellent shooter. Tenchi Muyo on the SNES was a great turn based strategy game, Card Captor Sakura on the Game Boy Colour was a fun if unremarkable adventure game in the style of Shadowgate. Another thing we could ask for is for the licencing to step away from the never-ending series. Leave the Narutos and Bleaches and Dragonballs and go for games based on smaller series. It could be a way to get more fans past those early stages and explore more anime that they may not have otherwise heard of.

mydogisblue:
i usually cant stand anime cause i just cant get interested in a bunch of muscle bound shirt-ripping men who fight each other all day long with their veins constantly bulging in their necks, their hair always increasing in length and brightness , and when ever they want to make an attack they have to take 15 friggin' seconds to chant the name of their attack, then they shoot a fireball the size of the goodyear blimp....

also, isnt a ninja supposed to be quiet, stealthy, swift and deadly?...is naruto any of those? well i guess he is swift and deadly but then again i doubt ryu hayabusa ever had to go through a bunch of exams just so he could have a bunch of spiky haired freaks tell him he was allowed to wear a shiny headband and armor. plus you cant really be stealthy and blend in with yur environment when yur wearing an orange jumpsuit

Anime isn't just DBZ and Naruto mate :P. Jump Ultimate Stars is apparently like Super Smash Bros. for the DS, which to me sounds like it can't be too shabby at all. To make a good anime game, it would probable have to be a niche or not well known series, a mis-mash (ala JUS) or have the amount of depth impossible to get from a license without the anime team wrking on it (who, of course, are too busy making the anime).

I like Anime as long as it stays far enough away from me and my thoughts to live my life without my recognition of it's pitiful existince.

I like Anime as long as it stays far enough away from me and my thoughts to live my life without my recognition of it's pitiful existince.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked