The most "oh... shit" moment in a game.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 43 NEXT

Resident Evil 4 your stick in the cabin with louis, thinking if you bar the windows you might slow down the 1,000,000 villagers coming after you. Then they politely tap you on the shoulders as they come down from the second story windows.

My personal "...shit" moment was in the living planet in Unreal 2 when i got the artifact and the planet started to make noises.

Omnidum:
My personal "...shit" moment was in the living planet in Unreal 2 when i got the artifact and the planet started to make noises.

I feared the awakening of the Drakk more. Or, of course, when the Tosc appear.

Oh, now that you reminded me: Unreal 1, Rrajigar Mines. Small tunnel, lights go out one by one. Then you hear the grunt of something. Suddenly, lights go shooting from a dark corner, shortly lighting up a Skaarj. And then the similar elevator scene in Unreal 2. Lights go out, something pops up and immediatly jumps at you. Hell yes.

Soul Reaver 2

Finding out the wraith blade is Raziel's soul....and all the paradoxial elements that made that game awesome

Bioshock, in the surgery, when the lights go out. Terrifying. I think that I actually whimpered:P

Mr.Expendable:

BlackOps:

AvalonSkies:

Also: the hallway in F.E.A.R where you're walking along, minding your own business, and suddenly you realize that the even-more-creepy-yet-not-at-all-cute little girl has been standing in your path, staring at your sorry arse, and you hadn't even noticed.

good one, thats a pretty scary one yaeh, most of the time she doesn't do anything until a few moments later, so at that point you will almost immediately know wether you're screwed or not.

And when you are climbing down the yellow ladder, you walk up to them and press the action button and you turn arround to go backwards down the vertical ladder and the f**king bitch is standing right behind you and all you see are her feet!..

haha, yeah, that scared the shit out of me the first time as well :P

Bioshock. In the dental office (I think) you walk in, and the air is filled with mist and you hear footsteps. When it clears, the corpse on the dental chair is gone.

There's a nice tempting desk full of bandages and other goodies over in the corner. if you go and start picking stuff up, then the mist happens again, but no footsteps.

I was there when my housemate played that bit. he immediately looked around when the mist happened, and when it cleared the "corpse" was standing there with a wrench out.

all things considered, the scream was justified.

The effin' terrorist respawn bug that was "fixed" in Vegas 2 on the 360...it hasn't..

nothing like having a terrorist pop out of thin air,SPAS12 pointed at you before you mutter "oh..." and then your dead..because the dev team at UBI are disrespectful,unsavory characters..(thats the nicest I could clean that up)

Different kind of oh shit, but, in Shadow of the Collusus where your horse, Aggro, falls of the cliff near the end. Also, the fact your horse can take an direct hit from an energy blast (or fall off a cliff for that matter) and can get up with only a slight limp for a few seconds.....

Earth Defense Force 2017 was absolutely filled with "Oh shit..." moments.

Just a few of my favorites:

The first few missions have you fighting different types of giant insects. At the end of one particular level, you have just finished wading your way through hundreds of dead ants and spiders galore, rejoicing as you finish off the last group of baddies on your radar. Just then, a radio transmission begins. Expecting a congratulatory message, where you are told to prepare for your next mission, much as the last levels have had, you listen in, only to instead hear a report of a new type of enemy approaching your position, these apparently with the ability of flight. As soon as the transmission ends, you notice a new blip on your radar, coming from behind you. As you watch, more and more blips appear, until an entire half of it is completely filled with enemy contacts. Looking behind you, you stare off into the distant sky, seeing nothing at first. Soon, however, you notice a few gray specks in the distance. Readying your rocket launcher to deal with the new threat, you notice a few more gray specks, soon becoming even more, until the entire sky has been darkened, and you are left wondering if you packed enough bullets.

In another mission, you must travel deep into a series of tunnels the aforementioned insects have carved out of the landscape, in order to locate and exterminate a possible "queen". You make it a few hundred yards into the tunnels, meeting surprisingly little resistance, when you recieve a radio transmission from one of your other units, saying that they are being attacked. Just as your commander gives the order to locate and assist the squad, blips start appearing on your radar. In less than a second, it goes from empty to almost completely red. Looking up at the surrounding tunnel walls, you see hundreds of giant ants and spiders pouring from branching tunnels, all headed in your direction. Completely surrounded, you get the order to retreat out of the tunnels. Barely managing to blast a hole through the wall of enemies long enough to escape the melee, leaving almost all of your allies dead in the middle, the mission ends with your commander telling you that their suspicions were correct. The tunnels were indeed a hive, complete with a queen. With this knowledge comes the sense that you will need to go back into those tunnels later, and that you had only hit the tip of the iceberg in there before.

The final boss. Despite your best efforts, humanity was losing the fight against the alien invaders. The last several missions had you unsuccessfully attempting to protect the last few human establishments left on Earth. Every other country in the world has already fallen to the alien menace, and yours was soon to follow. Finally, with the last major bases of the human race demolished, almost the entire Earth Defense Force wiped out, and its commander finally given into Earth's enevitable destruction, the alien's mothership finally joins the fight, further sealing the Earth's fate. About half the size of the fucking moon, the ship had been dispensing every enemy you had faced throughout the game. Not one to just lay down and die, you decide on a last ditch attempt to take down this behemoth and hopefully halt the alien invasion. Killing all of the enemies surrounding the ship, it finally becomes a fight between you and it. Aware of your presence, the ship starts going into battle mode. Completely alone, armed with only a rocket launcher, and fully aware that you won't be recieving any reinforcements, you stare up at the monstrocity as it readies its several hundred lasers, missile launchers, cannons, and laser missile launching cannons, all pointed at humanity's last hope: you.

Sorry for the long post, but I likes me my narration dammit!

Rabid Toilet:
Earth Defense Force 2017 was absolutely filled with "Oh shit..." moments.

Just a few of my favorites:

The first few missions have you fighting different types of giant insects. At the end of one particular level, you have just finished wading your way through hundreds of dead ants and spiders galore, rejoicing as you finish off the last group of baddies on your radar. Just then, a radio transmission begins. Expecting a congratulatory message, where you are told to prepare for your next mission, much as the last levels have had, you listen in, only to instead hear a report of a new type of enemy approaching your position, these apparently with the ability of flight. As soon as the transmission ends, you notice a new blip on your radar, coming from behind you. As you watch, more and more blips appear, until an entire half of it is completely filled with enemy contacts. Looking behind you, you stare off into the distant sky, seeing nothing at first. Soon, however, you notice a few gray specks in the distance. Readying your rocket launcher to deal with the new threat, you notice a few more gray specks, soon becoming even more, until the entire sky has been darkened, and you are left wondering if you packed enough bullets.

In another mission, you must travel deep into a series of tunnels the aforementioned insects have carved out of the landscape, in order to locate and exterminate a possible "queen". You make it a few hundred yards into the tunnels, meeting surprisingly little resistance, when you recieve a radio transmission from one of your other units, saying that they are being attacked. Just as your commander gives the order to locate and assist the squad, blips start appearing on your radar. In less than a second, it goes from empty to almost completely red. Looking up at the surrounding tunnel walls, you see hundreds of giant ants and spiders pouring from branching tunnels, all headed in your direction. Completely surrounded, you get the order to retreat out of the tunnels. Barely managing to blast a hole through the wall of enemies long enough to escape the melee, leaving almost all of your allies dead in the middle, the mission ends with your commander telling you that their suspicions were correct. The tunnels were indeed a hive, complete with a queen. With this knowledge comes the sense that you will need to go back into those tunnels later, and that you had only hit the tip of the iceberg in there before.

The final boss. Despite your best efforts, humanity was losing the fight against the alien invaders. The last several missions had you unsuccessfully attempting to protect the last few human establishments left on Earth. Every other country in the world has already fallen to the alien menace, and yours was soon to follow. Finally, with the last major bases of the human race demolished, almost the entire Earth Defense Force wiped out, and its commander finally given into Earth's enevitable destruction, the alien's mothership finally joins the fight, further sealing the Earth's fate. About half the size of the fucking moon, the ship had been dispensing every enemy you had faced throughout the game. Not one to just lay down and die, you decide on a last ditch attempt to take down this behemoth and hopefully halt the alien invasion. Killing all of the enemies surrounding the ship, it finally becomes a fight between you and it. Aware of your presence, the ship starts going into battle mode. Completely alone, armed with only a rocket launcher, and fully aware that you won't be recieving any reinforcements, you stare up at the monstrocity as it readies its several hundred lasers, missile launchers, cannons, and laser missile launching cannons, all pointed at humanity's last hope: you.

Sorry for the long post, but I likes me my narration dammit!

tl;dr: 'Oh... shit'

AngryMan:
Bioshock. In the dental office (I think) you walk in, and the air is filled with mist and you hear footsteps. When it clears, the corpse on the dental chair is gone.

There's a nice tempting desk full of bandages and other goodies over in the corner. if you go and start picking stuff up, then the mist happens again, but no footsteps.

I was there when my housemate played that bit. he immediately looked around when the mist happened, and when it cleared the "corpse" was standing there with a wrench out.

Most of Bioshock was 'oh shit' scary

Flytch:

AngryMan:

Most of Bioshock was 'oh shit' scary

BioShock becomes a lot less boring if you just run around without 'absorbing' the atmosphere, heh.
You can actually run past most splicers, actually. Can't wait to see some speedruns, I'm quite sure it can be done under 2 hours.

Walking into the deparment store in Condemned, wondering all the while what creepy things lie await when one of the mannequins, out of the blue, wanders over to another display stand and just waits there as if it didn't happen.

I think I had the game paused for a good ten minutes before I worked up the courage to keep playing.

Portal. Both when you destroy the morality core, causing a 5 minute timer to pop up, and just beforehand, where you drop into a room with turrets all over the walls. The first time I tried that bit, I didn't say "oh shit," I was more; "Whoever designed this part of Portal must DIE!!! Truly a sadistic level.

Also, the quote "Oh shit" was used a lot when I was playing "The White Chamber." It is the only game ever, that has succeeded in giving me nightmares. It's free, as well. Just type it into google, if you're a masochist, and like collecting limbs to escape an infinite nightmare...

The entire "Just Business" mission in GTA: San Andreas. Escaping on a bike, narrowly missing exploding cars and a semi-trailer that just won't give up the chase... crazy. Easily the best moment of the game, too.

The part on Crysis near the end of the game, when the huge exo-skeleton crawls up the side of your aircraft carrier. Oh Shi-

And directly after that, a god damn mother ship comes up out of the damn waves, there are freeze rays going everywhere, troops dying, and the scouts flying around pelting their icy shards at you.

EDIT--
Forgot one.
In Bioshock, in medical wing, you go down into a room with water on the floor. You hear the chinking of metal on metal and a quite voice. As you enter the water and walk up the flooded hallway you see a shadow of someone.

You take a deep breath, get you shotgun read and charge forwards. Then the shadow moves, the lights cut out and you run backwards as fast as you can. After a few seconds the lights flick back on and stay in a flickering state.

You slowly advance again, ready to retreat at the first sign of life, and the situation is so tense you almost off your chair. Once you finally round that corner, its just a dead body, you laugh it off and head back the way you came when *BANG!* *random curses and screaming* A splicer jumps out of a trap door in the wall and knifes you with his bone saw.

Oh shi- indeed

Oh. Remembered one just now.

Reaching the 75% mark when playing One (Metallica, 8th tier in Guitar Hero III), on Hard, thinking: 'Hey, this is pretty easy'. Then the solo starts. OH SHI-

... *plunk**plank**plunk**plink**plenk**plank**plunk**plunk*
Failed within 5 seconds.

Somehow I made it past the song once so far, all that's left in the 8th tier is Raining Blood... which is even more retarded -.-

the cod4 nuke certainly comes to mind. Other than that, maybe when i saw my companion cube incinerated before my eyes!

when the beserker runs through the window in act 4 of gears of war, i went like ohhh shitt

Lord Krunk:
Also, the quote "Oh shit" was used a lot when I was playing "The White Chamber." It is the only game ever, that has succeeded in giving me nightmares. It's free, as well. Just type it into google, if you're a masochist, and like collecting limbs to escape an infinite nightmare...

Rarely have I been unable to sleep because a game frightened me so much.

ohh yea when i saw brad die in the matinence tunnels oh shit
dead rising spoiler

Saphatorael:
Oh. Remembered one just now.

Reaching the 75% mark when playing One (Metallica, 8th tier in Guitar Hero III), on Hard, thinking: 'Hey, this is pretty easy'. Then the solo starts. OH SHI-

... *plunk**plank**plunk**plink**plenk**plank**plunk**plunk*
Failed within 5 seconds.

Exactly. The same thing happened to me as well.

wormguy:

Lord Krunk:

Rarely have I been unable to sleep because a game frightened me so much.

lol, I feel for you, man. I played it at midday, and couldnt sleep for days.

Lord Krunk:

Spoiler alert, man. You're lucky I'd already played the game in question, or half the plot twist would've been ruined to me.

Seriously though, people, check out "The White Chamber". Really, really do. And for the love of god, don't walk in and out of a room with a fridge in it too much, or your face'll melt off. (Now THAT's an "Oh SHIT" moment!)

When I realized I had to kill the companion cube -.-

The scene in Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners Of The Earth where you are in the hotel and have to race from room to room bolting the doors and sliding furniture around to block your attackers getting to you. You have no gun or means to defend yourself; if you are not quick enough, you dead. Having read the book, the way they executed that in the game just embodied the anxiety I felt reading the passage.

Also, starting to hear voices when your character wigs out and they then start playing with the gun is very much an "oh shit" moment because unless you settle down the muzzle of that gun is going to your forehead.

propertyofcobra:

Lord Krunk:

Spoiler alert, man. You're lucky I'd already played the game in question, or half the plot twist would've been ruined to me.

I didn't think I revealed too much of the plot...
Anyway, I agree. Anyone reading this, download it and play it.
Try and get all the alternate endings, as well.
Seriously though, people, check out "The White Chamber". Really, really do. And for the love of god, don't walk in and out of a room with a fridge in it too much, or your face'll melt off. (Now THAT's an "Oh SHIT" moment!)

On CoD4 on XBL when I sprinted around a corner to find the entire opposing team each pointing there guns at me.
Or when you kill a guy and you run up to his rotting corpse just to find he has myrtrdom active (curses curses).

Also the first time I encountered a beserker in GoW

As said before, the CoD4 nuke "ohshitohshitohshit" the first time encoutering a fast zombie was also a moment that left me gasping for air. And playing Half-life with friends, seeing a spark hitting right next to you head, knowing he just nearly missed your head with the crossbow. Playing Team Fortress, following a heavy to take the flag, then the heavy gets headshotted and just falls over. Realising that you're about to get roadkilled by a gunship in BF2142. First time encountering one of those invisible bastards in FEAR. Meeting Mehrunes Dagon in his biggest form was "oshi-" then I got stomped. "Scud storm detected" and "Nuclear launch detected" are classic moments, always expressed by a female voice... My worst was probably hiding from an airstrike in a split-screen match of CoD4, was in one of the containers, then hearing a loud *tink-a-tink-tink* SHI-! *boom*

The chase scene at the start of HL2, when both doors have combine soldiers and you try and go back upstairs and it breaks! Oh snap!

The first one that springs to mind is your first encounter with a Big Daddy in Bioshock

So you've been told you have to harvest the ADAM and to do this, you must kill the big daddy protecting the little sister. 'Easy as chips' you think, 'he couldn't possibly be THAT difficult to beat?'
So you walk up like you're in Doom3 and shoot the bastad in the head with your electric buckshot. He turns at you and roars the most unholy sound you've ever heard before bludgening you over the head with his massive drill-for-an-arm.
You, having promptly shit your pants, flee at fast as possible, turning around to check he's not after you before being rugby tackled by the big daddy from halfway across the room.

That was raw stuff.

While playing COD 4 and you shooting down a heli as Price and you far to close to it and it starts flying towards you crashing into the ground (oh...shit)

One major oh Shit moment was in FFVII in Shinra tower and you get to the floor and its completely covered in blood and dead bodies and you haven't the slightest clue as to what is going on or who did it to open the door and see a very pissed off White haired man turn around...

RE3 when Nemesis bursts into the room and you check your inventory and cry because you just battled lickers and have zero awesome ammo left.

A recent one: Playing Condemned 2 shortly after completing the first game.
I'm making my way through a building and there's graffiti on the wall that says "Behind You".

I turn round and see a mannequin standing in the doorway. Memories from the first game come flooding back, and then you walk up to the mannequin and turn around...

Also walking underneath a Ceiling Sac without realising what it was. I didn't make that mistake again.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 43 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked