World of WarCraft Zombie Epidemic.

The Lich King has unleashed a new Plague upon Azeroth. Several strange crates were delivered to many of the towns within the world. Using these crates gives the player a 10 minute debuff which kills the player after it runs out. Once the player dies, they become a Zombie that can then spread the plague giving this debuff to others.

Zombies have some special abilities, and they will heal when attacking other players or NPCs. Both NPCs and Players can be infected. Once an NPC dies from infection, a new Zombie is spawned that is of similar level to the NPC (Rounded up or down to the nearest multiple of 10). An AoE snare that slows people down, and heals Zombies standing within it. They can also explode, infecting everyone around him, while killing the Zombie. Players can control their Zombified character.

Already several Zombie Raids have ravaged the towns and caused some chaos. Some people banded together to defend their towns.

Here's a quick peek at what it's like.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/SuperFriendBFG/WoWScrnShot_102208_235241.jpg

...cool.

Now update the graphics a bit, Blizzard, and give your game some justice. Kinda hard to keep trying epic events when people are getting used to being able to see more than a hail of pixels =/

Not saying its any less epic, but looking at that photo all I see is odd polygons with bad textures.

Theo Samaritan:
...cool.

Now update the graphics a bit, Blizzard, and give your game some justice. Kinda hard to keep trying epic events when people are getting used to being able to see more than a hail of pixels =/

Not saying its any less epic, but looking at that photo all I see is odd polygons with bad textures.

Actually Wrath of the Lich King's world has vastly improved visuals. Everything in the new world is created from scratch. Also, they added more realistic shadows, I have those disabled because in large raids and such the lag can get pretty bad no matter how powerful your Video Card is.

They are considering redoing the player models after Wrath hits in a content patch, which should be cool.

Makh, i suppose it adds some variation but it's still not worth ten quid a month once you've level-capped.

zee666:
Makh, i suppose it adds some variation but it's still not worth ten quid a month once you've level-capped.

That's not really a good argument against WoW. All the new content is for high level players. If anything, it's not worth the money to level up anymore haha.

If you reach the level cap in WoW and then don't know what to do, I believe that is a failure on your part. Maybe you just don't like Battlegrounds, or Raiding?

SuperFriendBFG:

Actually Wrath of the Lich King's world has vastly improved visuals. Everything in the new world is created from scratch. Also, they added more realistic shadows, I have those disabled because in large raids and such the lag can get pretty bad no matter how powerful your Video Card is.

They are considering redoing the player models after Wrath hits in a content patch, which should be cool.

And Blizzard being Blizzard may charge for it... yea...

Tho at least they are trying. If a handful of much smaller MMO's can do it I don't see why they can't. Most of these smaller MMO's updated for free to, so we shall see.

Bare in mind I don't play WoW, but I do like how they do the storyline... sometimes..

Blizzard never charged for any content patches like that. They didn't charge for Sunwell Plateau. They didn't make people pay for the Tier 6 content when that came out. Between expansion packs they have NEVER charged for content... EVER. (That's not counting the monthly fee of course).

I don't know why you'd say this, since Blizzard has never been known to charge for content like Bethesda pulled with Oblivion. I mean the only exception would probably be StarCraft, but each single player campaign is more game-play then most current retail games.

SuperFriendBFG:

I don't know why you'd say this, since Blizzard has never been known to charge for content like Bethesda pulled with Oblivion. I mean the only exception would probably be StarCraft, but each single player campaign is more game-play then most current retail games.

The reason I don't play WoW is because the bastards tried to charge me again when the disc I had, got fucked over. I kind of got into the mindset of "money grabbing assholes" after that. So yea, my lack of knowledge is mixxed with some pretty heavy hate towards them.

Espeascially now that Battle.net is going to be pay-for -_-

That's pretty cool.

Also: Braaaaaaaaains.

The reason I don't play WoW is because the bastards tried to charge me again when the disc I had, got fucked over. I kind of got into the mindset of "money grabbing assholes" after that. So yea, my lack of knowledge is mixxed with some pretty heavy hate towards them.

Objection. WoW is free to DL. It's the account number you're paying for, not the install discs. Even then, you could have just torrented it.

Source please. Every single thing I've seen points that BNet will not be pay-to-play.

SuperFriendBFG:
Blizzard never charged for any content patches like that. They didn't charge for Sunwell Plateau. They didn't make people pay for the Tier 6 content when that came out. Between expansion packs they have NEVER charged for content... EVER. (That's not counting the monthly fee of course).

They charge for character customization now.

SuperFriendBFG:

WoW graphics are terrible, even with the new patch. Dynamic shadows are great though there is no real point when you have no good shaders or dynamic lighting.

The zombies only ravish low level towns though as higher levels can just run back and shoot from afar. No fun when a lower player can't even do quests because zombies are killing them constantly.

Ps. I love Blizzards excuses for splitting Starcraft 2. "They can't fit all the content into one game" or "It would take too long to make them all together". Uh-huh. Every heard of dual layer disks Blizzard or maybe just putting the game in extra production for a bit longer? Maybe if Blizzard didn't work on 3 games at once than it wouldn't get so many stupid problems. Also, just because they are a video game company doesn't mean they have to give a sh*t about us. They are a division of Vivendi and Vivendi like all global companies just wants more money and would prefer to keep its share holders happy.

Dommyboy:

SuperFriendBFG:

WoW graphics are terrible, even with the new patch. Dynamic shadows are great though there is no real point when you have no good shaders or dynamic lighting.

The zombies only ravish low level towns though as higher levels can just run back and shoot from afar. No fun when a lower player can't even do quests because zombies are killing them constantly.

Ps. I love Blizzards excuses for splitting Starcraft 2. "They can't fit all the content into one game" or "It would take too long to make them all together". Uh-huh. Every heard of dual layer disks Blizzard or maybe just putting the game in extra production for a bit longer? Maybe if Blizzard didn't work on 3 games at once than it wouldn't get so many stupid problems. Also, just because they are a video game company doesn't mean they have to give a sh*t about us. They are a division of Vivendi and Vivendi like all global companies just wants more money and would prefer to keep its share holders happy.

Read please. Not that it'll do much, you seem pretty steadfast in Blizzard=EVULZ idea.

Amnestic:

Objection. WoW is free to DL. It's the account number you're paying for, not the install discs. Even then, you could have just torrented it.

Poor phrasing on my part, I need coffee. It was the account number that fucked up not the disc.

Source please. Every single thing I've seen points that BNet will not be pay-to-play.

I can't find it anymore -_-

That screenshot almost makes me want to go back to WoW but usually stuff like that becomes overly-retarded after about 3 days, just like every other event in the game. I played it for 3 years and gave my account away to some random guy i knew because I saw what the new X-pack content was like, and basically figured it would be safe to hop off the bandwagon now because theres already nothing but X-pack noobs and wrath is going to drive away even more of the original players.

Richard Groovy Pants:

SuperFriendBFG:

They do? Haven't really seen that...you mean the name change service? Yeah, I found that a bit stupid, but I don't use it, so, it's not really bothersome. If you meant the Barbershops and such...no, they don't, well, yes, you pay in-game gold to change your hairstyle and such, but, it's not overly expensive. Unless you're stupid enough to pay actually cash to buy your gold from a seller. :P

GothmogII:

Richard Groovy Pants:

SuperFriendBFG:

They do? Haven't really seen that...you mean the name change service? Yeah, I found that a bit stupid, but I don't use it, so, it's not really bothersome. If you meant the Barbershops and such...no, they don't, well, yes, you pay in-game gold to change your hairstyle and such, but, it's not overly expensive. Unless you're stupid enough to pay actually cash to buy your gold from a seller. :P

No no no, you pay for some kind of outfit that customizes your character in a special way to make it different from the others T6 copies of your mage/lock whatever.
I have no real source but i think it's not implemented yet.

No no no, you pay for some kind of outfit that customizes your character in a special way to make it different from the others T6 copies of your mage/lock whatever.

There's an Escapist News article on it. However, laziness has taken hold and I can't be arsed to fetch the link. It's called "Paid Character customisation coming to WoW" or something similar to that.

Sweet! Corrupted blood returns!!

Guess the CDC will be jumping with joy at the opportunity to gain some epidemics data in a fun manner. Just imagine the morning meeting where they break the news.

- Allright lads and lasses, we are starting up a new project where we will be using computer simulations to model extreme cases of virulent outbreaks.

- Oh christ, not again!

- Yeah, I hate Excel already, why you want us to do any more of it?! That thing is a plague in itself!

- Mm hm... or are you planning on sticking us with those damned Linux nerds again? Their programs are about as user friendly as a car with a steering system you operate by spelling out commands with the phonetic alphabet!

- Oh... so you're not interrested then?

- NO!!!

- Oh well... I'll just do the job on me own then and keep these free subscriptions to World of Warcraft to myself...

- Say what?

/S

SuperFriendBFG:

zee666:

That's not really a good argument against WoW. All the new content is for high level players. If anything, it's not worth the money to level up anymore haha.

If you reach the level cap in WoW and then don't know what to do, I believe that is a failure on your part. Maybe you just don't like Battlegrounds, or Raiding?

Well actually i never reached the level cap in wow, i just wanted to get on wow fan-boy's nerves as i hate it, if a game only gets good after you've went through months of grind and costs you money to play then as far as i'm concerned it's not a good game, maybe i'm not as partial to mind numbing boredom as everyone else or maybe wow-lovers need to get a reality check and take a gander at a good game. Or if it's the social aspect of the game they like, they could go get a life... or a hooker.... or some thick rope and sturdy ceiling beam.

zee666:

SuperFriendBFG:

zee666:

Well actually i never reached the level cap in wow, i just wanted to get on wow fan-boy's nerves as i hate it, if a game only gets good after you've went through months of grind and costs you money to play then as far as i'm concerned it's not a good game, maybe i'm not as partial to mind numbing boredom as everyone else or maybe wow-lovers need to get a reality check and take a gander at a good game. Or if it's the social aspect of the game they like, they could go get a life... or a hooker.... or some thick rope and sturdy ceiling beam.

These days it's incredibly easy to get to 70, you can do it in a week. And I actually had fun leveling the first few times, otherwise then yeah it gets monotonous doing the same quests over and over.

Richard Groovy Pants:

GothmogII:

Richard Groovy Pants:

SuperFriendBFG:

There will be paid customization eventually, but we have absolutely no idea what form it will take.

It's stuff like this that makes WoW still the best MMO on the market... only Champions Online and Star Wars: The Old Republic have a chance of beating it.

the Zombie Epidemic is good but its still a crap tie in for WOTLK. I want an event like they had for AQ or even the event that tied in the Burning Crusade. =/

It never ceases to amaze me how people can either take the stance that a game is the coolest thing evah! then attack anyone who doesn't like it with the fervor of a cultist or to take the side of those who feel that they must heap hate upon anyone who likes a game they don't with equal dedication.
I just don't get it. See, I like peanut butter. Alot. My fiance doesn't. We don't fall out into epic battles over it. I eat it.. she doesn't. That's it.
Why aren't games the same with you people?
I think what they did is pretty cool. They have thrown in something fun. Tis the season for zombies...
While I agree that the game could go for a few minor improvements to graphics, I don't blame them for keeping them fairly simple. The more complicated you get, the worse the lag in congested areas. Makes sense to me.
While I also agree that they could stand a few other changes.. like a little more service to the lower levels.. I am not going to scream at them for not making those changes. If it bothers me enough.. I'll quit.
If you feel that Blizzard is a money hungry institution who only puts content out there to make money... well duh... what the fuck are they supposed to do? Simply give you games at their own expense? Of course they are out there to make money.. do you go to work because you like it? do you just give your check back to your boss? Hell no.. If they piss you off, don't give them your money. Ta daa! You win. They don't come to your house with a gun and force you to pay them money.
Sorry.. got a little off there. I just see so much on all these games and the producers to knock them and call them greedy bastards when not a person is ever forced to pay for something they don't want to pay for. Take a little responsability for your own actions.

monodiabloloco:
It never ceases to amaze me how people can either take the stance that a game is the coolest thing evah! then attack anyone who doesn't like it with the fervor of a cultist or to take the side of those who feel that they must heap hate upon anyone who likes a game they don't with equal dedication.
I just don't get it. See, I like peanut butter. Alot. My fiance doesn't. We don't fall out into epic battles over it. I eat it.. she doesn't. That's it.
Why aren't games the same with you people?
I think what they did is pretty cool. They have thrown in something fun. Tis the season for zombies...
While I agree that the game could go for a few minor improvements to graphics, I don't blame them for keeping them fairly simple. The more complicated you get, the worse the lag in congested areas. Makes sense to me.
While I also agree that they could stand a few other changes.. like a little more service to the lower levels.. I am not going to scream at them for not making those changes. If it bothers me enough.. I'll quit.
If you feel that Blizzard is a money hungry institution who only puts content out there to make money... well duh... what the fuck are they supposed to do? Simply give you games at their own expense? Of course they are out there to make money.. do you go to work because you like it? do you just give your check back to your boss? Hell no.. If they piss you off, don't give them your money. Ta daa! You win. They don't come to your house with a gun and force you to pay them money.
Sorry.. got a little off there. I just see so much on all these games and the producers to knock them and call them greedy bastards when not a person is ever forced to pay for something they don't want to pay for. Take a little responsability for your own actions.

I really need to get an Amnestic Seal of Approval picture done so I can put it on posts like these. For now you'll have to make do with the knowledge that if I had bothered making a Seal of Approval, that post would get it ;D

Nice. I love it when MMOs have big world events like this. Not enough to make me want to play WoW again, but still-- very cool.

Hmm, i'm in a 40 minute queue for my realm right now, dammit!
I want me some brains!!

SuperFriendBFG:

zee666:

Jesus Christ! He made a small comment. Don't leap at him, fanboy.

Merely stating the truth. WoW has its problems, and that is not one of them. If you're going to hate on WoW, at least hate on it for good reasons.

I actually resubbed to WoW to play this event. God its fun... murdering people in a swarm of gibbering flesh...

Oh jeez, it's Zul'Gurub all over again.

Sure, this time it's not a glitch, but it's going to screw up some how and the whole community is going to be pissed off until they remove it.

I used to play a lot and the new expansion does look good but not enough to make me go back i just don't have that kind of time to invest in leveling a character to 80. But i did enjoy playing.

Sure, this time it's not a glitch, but it's going to screw up some how and the whole community is going to be pissed off until they remove it.

Half the community is screaming "Don't cleanse me bro!" and the other half is screaming "I'm RPing by ruining this event for you! I'm RPing, dammit!"

The end result is that the community is divided, the forums are ablaze with rants and trolling, the playerbase is attacking itself and griefing just got a whole lot easier.

This is par for the course, I'd say. I logged out with the debuff last night and came back and it hadn't moved at all. Perhaps that means I can infect a few alts and log them out, then bring them back in once the Argent Healers have been removed...

Blayze:

Half the community is screaming "Don't cleanse me bro!" and the other half is screaming "I'm RPing by ruining this event for you! I'm RPing, dammit!"

The end result is that the community is divided, the forums are ablaze with rants and trolling, the playerbase is attacking itself and griefing just got a whole lot easier.

This is par for the course, I'd say. I logged out with the debuff last night and came back and it hadn't moved at all. Perhaps that means I can infect a few alts and log them out, then bring them back in once the Argent Healers have been removed...

Nope, if you log out for an extended period of time with a debuff, it will go away.

One thing I REALLY wanted to do was get in an AV and infect the entire instance... Too bad you can't :(.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked