Poll: Larry = "misogyny" (or so they say)

mi•sog•y•ny (mɪˈsɒdʒ ə ni, maɪ-)
n.
hatred of or hostility toward women.

According to the people of the Internet, Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded is full of

"blatant misogyny" http://www.gamegrin.com/game/preview/leisure-suit-larry-reloaded-preview

"rampant misogyny" http://www.citizengame.co.uk/editorial/news/9717/leisure-suit-reboot

"creepy borderline misogyny" http://www.gameinformer.com/games/leisure_suit_larry_reloaded/b/pc/archive/2013/06/27/larry-laffer-rides-again.aspx

and so on. It's all about this:

So maybe let's reverse role, and (TIGGER WARNING) try and imagine it's not Larry, instead it's a virgin cougar named Laura and set in the same role just with a reversed gender: a poor, old, ugly, short, fat, all-around pathetic and self-hating (to the point of being actively suicidal) loser in the 1980s as she's trying to get laid with young handsome men that she practically worships, but failing with everything all the time and getting humilated at her every step by everybody, with even narrator hating and mocking her. There would be female bad guys in this game (capable of things such as killing Laura for the little money she has), but no male villains.

I guess it would become "misandry", according to the same logic?

That would possibly be just as, if not more insulting and offensive.

Why?

Actually I thought the original LSL was a stereotype depiction of the nerds who played video games at the time

KevinHe92:

But Larry games are actually "offensive" towards men (not really, it's still just jokes), yet the only offended men are those who think even this is "misogyny" somehow.

To actually make it "offensive" towards women, one would need to swap their respective genders:

It would still be just jokes, though. But as we're now here, any sexual humor in gaming is supposedly hatred of women (and anything sexy is sexist)

Given all the video game protagonists with a shocking disregard for the value of human life, Larry's attitude towards women is hardly worth a mention. Especially given what some of the women do to him.

We should treat people who do things like cry "Misogyny!" at Lesiure Suit Larry as nothing more than the trolls that they are. Give it a rest, if everything were as perfectly inoffensive as these types would have it, it would be a very boring world indeed.

Never played any of his games but by the looks of it people overreact, as they will do.

Ehhhhhhhh...I never played and LSL games so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't calling this misogynistic like calling Duke Nukem misogynistic? It's basically calling a stupid joke game offensive to women when no one took it seriously in the first place.

At least from my limited perspective.

"In a medium as plagued by frequent gender debates as video gaming, is it still OK to make games like Leisure Suit Larry? Throughout the time I played, every female I encountered was attractive - the only overweight women being the target of an arcade game named Angry Broads, in which they had pig faces and were fired upon by a bra-catapult. This kind of objectification has always had a detrimental affect on the way our medium is perceived popularly, and rightly so. How can we expect gaming to be respected if such blatant misogyny is still accepted? It's time for Larry to hang up the leisure suit."

Funny stuff. I reckon the standard of journalism we endure is more problematic than a nostalgia-baiting re-release.

"On the one hand, the game seems to appeal to players that might resemble Larry - those who would chuckle at the crude and often blatant sex jokes."

Nice to know that the caring, progressive journalist isn't above taking assumptive cheap shots at complete strangers.

Click-bait. Click-bait. Click-bait. Click-bait.

Last time I checked, LSL was a parody of mysoginistic behavior, making fun of such practices. Only a very superficial look at the game would make it seem truly mysoginistic. It would be like saying Ali G glorifies hip-hop culture...

You should of replace Tropes Vs. Woman with indifferent. Seeing as how it's the same thing as saying blatant.
Also I've never played the game either so it kind of sucks I can't at least contribute to the poll.

I haven't played Lesiure Suit Larry reloaded and the only example they gave of 'misogyny' is angry broads which may be in bad taste but rampant misogyny it is not.

Maybe there's more examples, but I'm so used to hearing misogyny being code word for 'anything a feminist doesn't like' that it's best to just ignore them (unless they have examples).

Never been a fan of LsL, I find the premise stupid and -obviously- too sexualised for me to enjoy...

However, I gamble that if the tables were turned there would be a massive media fallout, rioting in the streets.
Your normal crap.

But hey that's just me...

Father Time:
I haven't played Lesiure Suit Larry reloaded and the only example they gave of 'misogyny' is angry broads which may be in bad taste but rampant misogyny it is not.

Maybe there's more examples, but I'm so used to hearing misogyny being code word for 'anything a feminist doesn't like' that it's best to just ignore them (unless they have examples).

Especially since it's an obvious parody of angry birds, right down to the "pig faces."

Stuff like this is an example of how lazy activism has gotten in the modern age. Trying to fix real problems (like the glass ceiling, for a relevant example) is too hard, so we complain about superficial things and like pages on Facebook. Note that it's not just feminists, not by a long shot. The great movement of my generation seems to have amounted to a few neo-hippies camping out in front of the wrong building in the wrong part of the country with no idea as to what they actually wanted to happen. (Hint guys: Washington is the problem, Wallstreet just happens to own it right now.)

Owyn_Merrilin:

Father Time:

Especially since it's an obvious parody of angry birds, right down to the "pig faces."

Stuff like this is an example of how lazy activism has gotten in the modern age. Trying to fix real problems (like the glass ceiling, for a relevant example) is too hard, so we complain about superficial things and like pages on Facebook. Note that it's not just feminists, not by a long shot. The great movement of my generation seems to have amounted to a few neo-hippies camping out in front of the wrong building in the wrong part of the country with no idea as to what they actually wanted to happen. (Hint guys: Washington is the problem, Wallstreet just happens to own it right now.)

Here's how I think the planning for angry broads went down.

"We should make a parody of angry birds"
"Yeah but it needs to revolve around a sex joke, any ideas"
"Angry Broads?"
"That'll work"

If you released Angry Broads on the iphone tomorrow, with no connection to Leisure Suit Larry I'd think people would be justified, in calling it wrong.

But here it exists as a mini game of a much larger game focused entirely on sex and sex puns, so it's justifiable (that's my reading of Leisure Suit Larry, but I haven't played it so I might be off).

E: Oh and I'm not sure if you're saying this is a non-issue or a minor issue that people shouldn't focus on because of worse things. If it's the latter, I should point out that people can focus on more than one thing at a time.

The Leisure Suit Larry games are on par with the American Pie movies.

That's really all you need to know, really. One break-out debut title that made a name for itself and a long string of less than mediocre sequels.

(For the LSL series, you can argue that it didn't decline until after Love for Sail, I won't debate when LSL declined but it clearly did. I suspect there will be fewer people to profess their love for the American Pie sequels.)

One of my big hangups is people who don't understand the difference between a comedy game with sex and a sex game with comedy. I don't see anyone making that mistake, but then again I am deliberately avoiding those who've writen click-bait articles for ad revenue. I can only imagine the comments sections attached to those.

Taking on the OP's suggestion, let's re-imagine the basics of LSL, but instead it's about an atheist trying to interact with Christians. All the poor misunderstood loser atheist wants to do is engage in conversation with (highly-stereotyped cartoonish) Christians, failing to communicate his viewpoint and getting ridiculed and soundly berated by them. The game is clearly making fun of Christians, but the atheist is also the butt of the majority of the jokes. It's satire, see? Care to take a guess which group would be more upset about that game?

NoAccountNeeded:

That's really all you need to know, really. One break-out debut title that made a name for itself and a long string of less than mediocre sequels.

(For the LSL series, you can argue that it didn't decline until after Love for Sail, I won't debate when LSL declined but it clearly did. I suspect there will be fewer people to profess their love for the American Pie sequels.)

One of my big hangups is people who don't understand the difference between a comedy game with sex and a sex game with comedy. I don't see anyone making that mistake, but then again I am deliberately avoiding those who've writen click-bait articles for ad revenue. I can only imagine the comments sections attached to those.

Taking on the OP's suggestion, let's re-imagine the basics of LSL, but instead it's about an atheist trying to interact with Christians. All the poor misunderstood loser atheist wants to do is engage in conversation with (highly-stereotyped cartoonish) Christians, failing to communicate his viewpoint and getting ridiculed and soundly berated by them. The game is clearly making fun of Christians, but the atheist is also the butt of the majority of the jokes. It's satire, see? Care to take a guess which group would be more upset about that game?

That last part is a tough call, the kind of atheists who actually care about what Christians think tend to have massive sticks up their butts :P

KevinHe92:

...but it would also be deemed "misogyny" because it portrays a woman as the kind of pathetic loser it's OK to depict men as, which is the truly unfortunate part of the whole comparison.

Bad Jim:
Given all the video game protagonists with a shocking disregard for the value of human life, Larry's attitude towards women is hardly worth a mention. Especially given what some of the women do to him.

Oh God, you're going to start people screaming about victim-blaming, now... =p

evilneko:
We should treat people who do things like cry "Misogyny!" at Lesiure Suit Larry as nothing more than the trolls that they are. Give it a rest, if everything were as perfectly inoffensive as these types would have it, it would be a very boring world indeed.

...I think you've just caused me to realize something. The people who would do what you are talking about here aren't trolls, they totally believe in what they are saying and take it as a meaningful statement of personal values and political opinion. That's why they are unable to see trolling when someone trolls their own pet causes, because they assume everyone else is exactly the same.

Owyn_Merrilin:

NoAccountNeeded:
Care to take a guess which group would be more upset about that game?

That last part is a tough call, the kind of atheists who actually care about what Christians think tend to have massive sticks up their butts :P

Yeah, in retrospect that question is less important to this discussion and sorta flamebait, I'll leave it in as a rhetorical question. But my point was mostly to highlight how people feeling maligned by being portrayed in an unflattering light doesn't mean such portrayals are super srs bznz.

Owyn_Merrilin:

NoAccountNeeded:

Or a banana. [rimshot] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu1EmF-nsBA

Anyway, according to Eurogamer's Ellie Gibson (review score: 2/10), Larry (the game) is also "racist". Also, bananas.

But really, it's hard to get offended by any of this. Protesting that a Leisure Suit Larry game is sexist is like complaining that a portrait drawn by a six-year-old is unflattering. Besides, better save that ire up for the racism. Guess what everyone? The black character in this game is a pimp! Meanwhile, the Asian character runs the convenience store! He sells condoms in a variety of sizes, including "Banana" and "African banana"! Jesus ****ing Christ. What's next? A puzzle that must be solved by using a blackface disguise to enter a rap studio? Oh wait, that was Leisure Suit Larry 5. Of course, there will be people out there who don't give a toss about the racism and sexism. Perhaps even 14,081 people.
(...)
The world did not need this Leisure Suit Larry game, and it does not need any more. With that in mind, here's a new idea: Kickstopper campaigns. We all club together to pay the likes of Rory McGrath, will.i.am and Nigel Farage to stop inflicting their nonsense on us. Let's start with Replay Games, the creators of Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded. All I need is 14,080 backers. Who's in?

rac·ism (rszm)
n.
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

As a game, LSL is not misogynist. The character may well be, but he is (from what I gather) portrayed as a hopeless loser.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked